Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Recruits

I agree with the comment that DI athletics will improve the quality of high school athletics in the state. Brock Campbell one of our recruits from Iowa was listed as the #1 Reciever in the state based on his play on the field on Iowa Preps as his stats of 95 catches and 1531 yards were records. They said there is probably some more talented players but you can't argue with his stats. In terms of Ashland Grady I thought are biggest competitor was Northern Illinois or as a walk-on at Iowa. He certainly has not signed with anyone at this point as far as I can tell. His grades might be the story or hopefully he will sign later.

Comment

Stig also said on WNAX that they were still looking for a running back to sign. The ones they had considered were not up to what they need and they would keep looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
        USD signing 36 players is kind of like playing poker and asking for 5 new cards! ;D  
        Now that's a Division I analogy!

Comment

From the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/update/We...article4.shtml

SDSU signs first Division I-AA recruiting class
          From Staff Reports

published: 2/4/2004

South Dakota State signed up its first Division I-AA football recruiting class Wednesday on national letter of intent day, and Jackrabbit coach John Stiegelmeier called the effort a big success.

"This is a special group of guys," Stiegelmeier said. "Just like all our athletes, they are committed to this mission at South Dakota State."

SDSU is moving up to the Division I-AA level next fall from the Division II level it competes at right now.

Comment

I thought you might enjoy this article on new Jack recruit Brock Gentile on Feb 3rd. Unfortunately his twin brother decided to walk on at Iowa rather join his brother at SDSU>

Council Bluffs St. Albert (Iowa) athlete Brock Gentile knew almost the exact moment that he wanted to be part of the South Dakota State football program. "It was after my visit, about three weeks ago. Then I went on some more visits and really thought about it a lot. I thought this is the place I should go."

The Jackrabbit coaches enjoyed the good news. "They were very happy. I was their number one prospect after the visits and they really wanted me to be there."

Gentile picked South Dakota State over offers from Northern Iowa, South Dakota, Northwest Missouri State, and a walk-on offer from Iowa. "It was my dream to play Division One football. I picked South Dakota State because of the coaches. They were real nice and seemed to appreciate the recruits who came. They were really great and they sold me on how nice they were, "Gentile said.

"The coaches really care about you on a one-on-one basis and it's not just football. They want you to graduate and succeed in life. They put everything else before football. Family, academics, community, and then football."

What is his favorite part about South Dakota State? "Probably the team. They are really close and everyone is good friends. It is a good community."

Gentile helped St. Albert to a runner-up finish in Class 1A this past season. He had an impressive season and was honored by nearly every postseason publication.

Since the football season, Gentile has been keeping by playing basketball. He is also doing a lot of speed drills to prepare himself for playing at the next level.

The 5-foot-10 Gentile weighs 182 pounds.

Comment

Just learned that the Des Moines running back the Jacks were persuing with great interest is going to a Junior College. Hopefully Jacks will stay in touch and get him once his grades have improved. Challenge if he does really well on the field we will have competition from DIA schools.

Comment

Some updates on players from Minnesota we were interested in:
                Matt Storlie-Winona State
                Brian Panning-Juco
                Matt Elkop-Unknown

Comment

One of our recruits out of Minnesota Mitchell Pontrelli placed second in the wrestling heavyweight division.

Comment

Working...
                  X