Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recruits

About DeGeest, apparently he went to a U of M camp last summer or the one previous and the Gophs loved what they saw. I read recently that Neb. offered after his verbal to Minn. There has been talk recently of them moving him to the Oline. There is a lot of info on him on Minnesota's Insiders site at
    www.minnesota.theinsiders.com

just click football prospects on the left side of the home page and go to his name.

Comment

Anyone know of any other recruits that are committing or close to committing to SDSU? Looking forward to seeing what we get this year..getting excited
      http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Kevin Robling of Jordan Minnesota who supposedly made a verbal committment to the Jacks is listed as one of the best offensive lineman in the state. He is 6'4 240.

Comment

Iowa Preps has a feature on Zac Brouilette 6'3 1/2 215 lb DB from Sioux City North who is considering SDSU,UNI,USD and Augie.

Comment

Jacks have picked up two more committments out of the state of Nebraska:
            Tom Neneman Omaha North 6'2 200 All Nebraska Linebacker and 3 year starter.
            Ruey Dei-Omaha Burke 6'4 200 1st Sudanese Native in the state to recieve football scholarship.

Comment

Jacks seem to continue to recruit well in Omaha and Nebraska. I would think we can pick up some of the kids not good enough to play in Lincoln. New Nebraska Coach Callahan has gone on record saying he wants to purge the number of players which is currently 170. He wants to get away from having players around that don't legimately have a chance of getting on the field. This is huge as many quality area players choose to follow their dream to play at Nebraska and walk on. This decison will seriously curb the imfamous walk on program at UNL and could benefit SDSU as some of these players could play for us. Omaha is the closet Metro area and we should be attractive to those that want to play close to home. I think NDSU does a better job in the Minneapolis metro area and we do better in out-state Minnesota. I would think the size of Brookings and Fargo have something to do with players coming from the Twin Cities having more of a comfort level in Fargo.

Comment

Yes I heard that this morning too, about Callahan cutting back on the walk on program. It definitely would help SDSU and UNO can only fund 36 so we will be able out bid them on a number of deals more so in the years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                  Jacks seem to continue to recruit well in Omaha and Nebraska. I would think we can pick up some of the kids not good enough to play in Lincoln. New Nebraska Coach Callahan has gone on record saying he wants to purge the number of players which is currently 170. He wants to get away from having players around that don't legimately have a chance of getting on the field. This is huge as many quality area players choose to follow their dream to play at Nebraska and walk on. This decison will seriously curb the imfamous walk on program at UNL and could benefit SDSU as some of these players could play for us. Omaha is the closet Metro area and we should be attractive to those that want to play close to home. I think NDSU does a better job in the Minneapolis metro area and we do better in out-state Minnesota. I would think the size of Brookings and Fargo have something to do with players coming from the Twin Cities having more of a comfort level in Fargo.
                  170 players on the team WOW.. I thought that was a typo until I read the story (it mentions NDSU and SDSU)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1722049

Comment

Originally posted by somebison.

170 players on the team WOW.. I thought that was a typo until I read the story (it mentions NDSU and SDSU)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1722049
                    This could be big for us. I would love to get some of these kids playing at Coughlin! ;D

Go State!

Comment

The comments by Pat Behrns, UNO coach are very interesting. I think Pat senses that he is going to lose some recruiting battles, and a partial from a pot of 36 can not compete with a pot of 63 scholarships. If SDSU or NDSU offers a full ride, the game is over for Pat.

I think some of the current roster if they get their walking papers will probably end up at Chadron, UNK and Wayne. It depends where they are in their chosen course of study. Some may just give up football all together and concentrate on studies.

Comment

I seem to be in the minority on this Board who is posting info on what the Jacks first DIAA football recruiting class will look like. Has anyone heard of any South Dakota athletes who have verbally committed other than JaRon Harris of Sioux Falls Washington. Other verbal committments to the Jacks from neighboring states:

Minnesota
                        Eric Schroeder 6'4 240 DE Stewartsville,MN
                        Kevin Robling 6'3 250 OL Jordan,MN

Iowa
                        Brock Gentile 5'11 180 RB Council Bluffs,IA

Nebraska
                        Tom Neneman 6'2 200 LB Omaha North
                        Ruey Dei 6'4 200 LB Omaha Burke

Also considering the Jacks:
                        Zac Brouilette 6'3 215 4.6 40 IA
                        Matt Storlie 6'6 240 DE/TE Byron,MN
                        Brian Panning 6'4 270 OL or DL Chaska,MN
                        Matt Elko 6'5 280 OL Chaska,MN

We will learn more on Wednesday the first day recruits can sign letter of intents.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                          I seem to be in the minority on this Board who is posting info on what the Jacks first DIAA football recruiting class will look like.
                          JACKGUY,

As for me, I am too far away from the source to get any good info. However I do appreciate your posts, so please keep 'em coming.

Go State!

Comment

Getting excited to see who we are getting...Wednesday is always a big day. I have a feeling that we will be setting very good

Go SDSU

Comment

The Argus has a story on our move to D-I and how it is effecting our recruiting.  It is long so I will just post some of the interesting parts:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Tuesdayfeature.shtml

Weighing the options
                              Chris Solari
                              csolari@argusleader.com

published: 2/3/2004

Blake Hojer's dream of following his father's footsteps on the football field at South Dakota State ended Sunday.

That's when the De Smet senior, the captain of this year's Argus Leader Elite 45, chose the Jackrabbits' archrival, the University of South Dakota.

One major reason drove the decision - the Coyotes offered Hojer a scholarship for next year. SDSU wanted him as a walk-on.  . . .

"The question you've got to ask yourself is, 'Do I want to play D-I or do I want to play D-II ball?' " said Washington senior JaRon Harris, who will officially sign with the Jackrabbits on Wednesday to play football.

"You have to step it up and take the challenge if you think you're good enough." . . .

Stiegelmeier said his staff actively pursued six players from South Dakota this year, receiving three verbal commitments from the five scholarships that were offered.

Overall, Stiegelmeier said he has heard "yes" from 15 of the 20 players who were extended offers . . .

Some of SDSU's coaches say luring regional recruits from traditional areas in Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska has become easier with the Division I tag. However, South Dakota athletes and parents have been less enthusiastic.

"The main difficulties we're having are in-state, because there's been so much negativity around this move," SDSU men's basketball coach Scott Nagy said. "I think people are unsure because of the negativity, and people we recruit against are using it against us." . . .

One national analyst says the Division I label will eventually prove a major a plus for SDSU in the regional recruiting wars.

"To (athletes), just to be able to say they're playing Division I football is a big thing," said Ralph Wallace, publisher of the Illinois-based Web site I-AA.org.

"It's like saying you play for the New York Yankees compared to the Toledo Mud Hens. Even if you're on the bench for the Yankees, you're still playing for the big boys." . . .

Isha Vanterpool will continue the pipeline from Huron to Brookings in women's basketball next year, following current Jackrabbits Heather Sieler and Sarita DeBoer.

A 5-foot-7 guard, Vanterpool chose SDSU over Division I Wichita State and three Division II schools (USD, Minnesota-Moorhead and Nebraska-Omaha).

"I always wanted to play Division I, but the factor of being far away from home held me back a little bit," Vanterpool said. "Then (SDSU) went Division I, and this all fell into place." . . .

Nagy says he doesn't worry about going from Option 1 for most in-state players to being snubbed. He feels his staff has plucked plenty of talented players from the the surrounding region. He added that being a Division I school has helped land some recruits who wouldn't have gone to Brookings before.

"I just know that right now, (South Dakota players) are very wary of it," he said. "But honestly, I don't think it'll be very long before we're able to recruit who we want to recruit." . . .

O'Gorman junior Mitch Begeman, in the infantile stages of his recruitment, mainly sees SDSU's move as a shot to play better competition and garner more exposure. He's leery of the NCAA Tournament issue, but also knows he'd have a chance to play in the "Big Dance" at least once if he were to sign for the 2005-06 season.

"My dream has always been to play Division I basketball. That would be accomplished if I go there," said Begeman, who has not yet committed to any school. "I don't think there are very many negative things about it. I think there are more positive things than negatives." . . .

Seems to me that most of the South Dakota kids they talked to that didn't want to come to State have been poisoned by half truths and lies about our move.  I think in a few years, maybe next year, you will see that the SD kids are a little wiser and will be more like the Iowa, Minnesota, and Nebraska kids.  The other thing that kept me laughing threw out the story was the kids going with USD, and Augie, because they wanted a "chance" to play for a National Title.  Give me a break, those programs aren't going to be playing for a National Title while they are in school.  They both have issues.

Although the overall tone of the story was negative, I think it is easy to see that our move to D-I/I-AA will be a long term home run for SDSU!

Go SDSU D-I/I-AA all the way!

Comment

I know for a fact that all the other NCC schools and other D II schools are trying to tell all the recruits about not playing for a conference or national championship. I believe an athlete wants to play at the highest level that they can. I firmly believe going D I is the best thing that has happened.....

Go SDSU.....

Comment

Working...
                                X