• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Recruits

Oops LOI's . duh..........

Comment

As much as I would have loved to had Tyson Decamps on board if you look at our running back stable it's pretty full with some quality backs.

Anthony Watson-SO Great Freshman year and should really break out in 2004.
      Brad Janecke- SO Had some flashes of being a good player.
      Anthony Robinson JR Compliments Watsons punishing style
      Demetrice Wiggins-RSF-Hails from Miami.Is he surviving his first winter in Brookings?
      Trevor Hohn-RSF-Kid from Mitchell who has some wheels.
      Cory Koenig-FR
      Brock Gentile-Fr Recruit who is expected to sign today out of Council Bluffs. His twin brother is walking on at Iowa.
      I'm sure there will be another back signed today in addition to Gentile.

Comment

Another guy that I have mentioned before and was still considering the Jacks in late December was Ashland Grady of West Des Moines Dowling. He is 6'1 205 and runs the 40 in 4.46! He was considered one of the top backs in the state of Iowa and was being recruited by a number of DIA schools until he had a knee injury. He mentioned in an interview that SDSU was on his short list and the coaches were calling him everyday. Maybe we have a verbal committment and this was why we were less aggressive with some of the other available backs. This kid looks size wise like Anthony Watson with a lot more speed.

Comment

Over on the Bison Board they have listed 15 signing so far. On that list is Brian Jark WR out of Aberdeen. I saw this kid play in the State Championship game and he is small but can flat out fly. Hate to see him cross the border. We did not do well in Aberdeen today.

Comment

Where to they get their info? Do they have an insider who posts to their board or is their athletic dept more on-the-ball and able to get info out on the net?

All-in-all I think the SDSU website is subpar when compared to NDSU, USD, UND (much better), UNK, etc... It could stand even more significant upgrades. The alternative would be an independent site like Bisonville or SiouxSports. Jacksbasketball could be a fledgling but needs more support/manpower.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

NDSU and UND have posted their football signings on their websites. Nothing from SDSU yet. NDSU signed two from Nebraska which I expected more with his UNL roots.

Comment

Not suprising. I don't think the administration realizes the number of visitors to the website seeking info. They need to dedicate more people to the website and keeping fans informed. Especially with the move to DI.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Hey! They've still got a comprehensive list of the 2003 signees on the site!! : : :

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Va...nees/Index.cfm

Comment

Blake Hojer was a good high school player. I think the argus leader blew him totally out of proportion. DeSmet was a good team this year in SD but not one of the best ever. They were a good team but the competition was pathetic. I remember back a few years ago DeSmet would have had some major battles with the likes of Elkton and Lake Preston and Castlewood back in the days. Blake received the traditional letters informing recruits about their football program. I highly doubt it was anything extremely serious. 6'1" 210 220 lb guys are a dime a dozen. Some great athletes have even come out of the Dakota Valley Conference such as Matt Hammer, Justin Landis, Justin Buckwalter. I don't think this kid was as or anything more special than these guys. I know I would take Justin Landis over blake any day. I see Blake was mentioned an all american today and that's great, i'm happy for him but all americans don't go to mediocre d2 teams that by the way schedule 3 division 3 schools and some NAIA(or whatever it is) just to have a winning record in football. The bottom line is i don't think SD kids are really sure about their talents in athletics to be able to perform at the D1 level. I wish Blake the very best but SEE YOU NCC. Go BISON AND JACKS! Screw the U's.

Comment

Here they are:

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Ne...cfm?Id=46,3405

South Dakota State has signed 14 high school standouts to letters of intent, indicating they will enroll at SDSU and participate in the Jackrabbit football program.

In addition, two junior college transfers are already enrolled at SDSU.

The 2004 recruiting class:
                      * Ryan Berry, 6-3, 180, QB, Watertown, S.D.;
                      * Brock Campbell, 6-2, 195, WR, Cherokee, Iowa (Washington H.S.);
                      * Ruey Dei (pronounced Ray Day), 6-4, 200, LB, Omaha, Neb. (Burke H.S.);
                      * Travis Devine, 6-2, 197, DB, Yankton, S.D.;
                      * James Epps, 6-2, 195, DB, Kansas City, Kan. (Fort Scott CC);
                      * Nicholas Flesner, 6-4, 245, DL, Pierce, Neb.;
                      * Brock Gentile (pronounced gen-TILL-ee) , 5-10, 181, CB, Council Bluffs, Iowa
                      * Luke Greving (pronounced (GRAY-ving), 6-4, 210, TE, Alton, Iowa;
                      * JaRon Harris, 6-1, 190, WR, Sioux Falls, S.D. (Washington H.S.);
                      * Mike James, 6-1, 210, DB Kansas City, Kan. (Fort Scott CC);
                      * Timothy Neneman (pronounced KNEE-nah-man), 6-2, 205, LB, Omaha, Neb. (North H.S.);
                      * Jason Nobiling, 6-5, 205, DE, Huxley, Iowa (NO-bling) (Ballard H.S.);
                      * Mitchell Pontrelli, 6-2, 240, DL, St. Paul, Minn. (St. Paul Johnson H.S.);
                      * Kevin Robling (pronounced ROW-bling), 6-4, 245, OL, Jordan, Minn.;
                      * Eric Schroeder (pronounced SHROW-der), 6-4, 240, DL, Stewartville, Minn.;
                      * Joshua Schulte, 6-4, 235, TE, Norfolk, Neb. (Nofolk Catholic)

Comment

Not a bad start into the DIAA. It's such an incacurate science trying to determine which of these kids can excell at the next level. Has anyone seen Ryan Berry play from Watertown. Nice size for a Quarterback. We seem compelled to go with Junior College players at the DB position the last 2 years. Tim Neneman the linebacker out of Nebraska seems to have some good credentials. I think there are still some kids out there that did not get the offer they hoped and could help the Jacks. I see they are having an event here in the Twin Cities to showcase some of those players. Hard to believe USD signed 36 players. Tells you what they think of what is already there. There Coach seems to
                        really emphasize they focused on all the good athletes in South Dakota. Little subtle PR and shot at SDSU I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                          Where to they get their info?  Do they have an insider who posts to their board or is their athletic dept more on-the-ball and able to get info out on the net?

All-in-all I think the SDSU website is subpar when compared to NDSU, USD, UND (much better), UNK, etc...  It could stand even more significant upgrades.  The alternative would be an independent site like Bisonville or SiouxSports.  Jacksbasketball could be a fledgling but needs more support/manpower.
                          The problem with UND's site is it takes about an hour to load each page... I checked out USD's main site for the first time today.. the headline is Famous Soccer Player wearing USD jersey... I guess the paparazzi got a picture of David Beckham wearing a USD shirt 2 months ago and that is still the top USD headline... apparently not much has been happening in vermillion

Comment

UND's website is one of the slowest sites I have ever seen. It used to be faster, before they added the images that change all the time. That seemed to really bog it down.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonjack
                              Blake Hojer was a good high school player.  I think the argus leader blew him totally out of proportion.  DeSmet was a good team this year in SD but not one of the best ever.  They were a good team but the competition was pathetic.  I remember back a few years ago DeSmet would have had some major battles with the likes of Elkton and Lake Preston and Castlewood back in the days.  Blake received the traditional letters informing recruits about their football program.  I highly doubt it was anything extremely serious.  6'1" 210 220 lb guys are a dime a dozen.  Some great athletes have even come out of the Dakota Valley Conference such as Matt Hammer, Justin Landis, Justin Buckwalter.  I don't think this kid was as or anything more special than these guys.  I know I would take Justin Landis over blake any day.  I see Blake was mentioned an all american today and that's great, i'm happy for him but all americans don't go to mediocre d2 teams that by the way schedule 3 division 3 schools and some NAIA(or whatever it is) just to have a winning record in football.  The bottom line is i don't think SD kids are really sure about their talents in athletics to be able to perform at the D1 level.  I wish Blake the very best but SEE YOU NCC.  Go BISON AND JACKS!  Screw the U's.  
                              Well said bisonjack, I agree with all your points. The walkon invitation to Hojar said it all. He was not up to what the staff was seeing on video, and probably not in the top five for each position. On WNAX, at 1;35 Steve Emming gave this list plus a few remarks by Coach Stig, who said that they select five for each postion and then they rate those five and first go for the first of five and work their way down. I dont think Hojer was even among the top five.

What will be of immediate use is the two defensive backs from the Juco ranks. I tend to think we are going to run into a lot more west coast offense and we need some one who can keep up step for step with every WR or we get blown out on the scoreboard.

What is good also is that Sodak athletes will no longer have the ability to play SDSU against USD and Augie for Scholarship dollars, before making a choice. If they want to be a Jack in the future, you will have to prove you belong. So as Coach Stig said, he thought the move to D1 might in the long run improve high school programs in South Dakota.

Comment

Looks like a pretty good class, as has been said before the recruiting game is never an exact science. I'm sure we will have some impact players with this group of recruits. Looks like we covered the Midwest (SD 3, IA 4, NE 4, KS 2, MN 3 ) I didnt see the running back from Des Moines-Ashland Grady on our list-any word where he signed?
                                USD signing 36 players is kind of like playing poker and asking for 5 new cards! ;D It kind of says what the new coach thought of the existing "talent' that was there.

Comment

Working...
                                X