Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Running back arrest

Originally posted by SPORTSFAN
    The pressure to win at DI is so strong that programs are forced to take a chance on kids that may or may not turn out.

If I read one more meaningless SDSU story in the Argus I am going to cancel my subscription. Chris Solari and the rest of the Argus sports staff must think we South Dakotans are hanging on every tidbit about the DI move.

As far as Kansas or Iowa coming to Brookings - you have got to be kidding me.
    I would think a guy who calls himself SPORTSFAN would be excited to see DI athletics in S.D. Better get use to stories about SDSU and its DI opponents. No one is kidding when it comes to this move up and no one is kidding at the DII school south of Sioux Falls that dropped baseball this year.

Take a look at the Brookings Register on a daily basis and you will see arrests for selling pot. Not headlines until a back-up RB at SDSU gets busted in a sting. He'll get what he deserves and SDSU will go on from there.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
      What some seem to be forgetting is that Anthony Robinson,  was going to be a jr., thus he was recruited as a D-II player.  I reject this notion that going D-I means we are going to have thugs on campus.  People are people and by their very nature are flawed.  This arrest has little to do with SDSU and has nothing to do with our move to D-I.  An incident like this has happened to us as a D-II school it could happen again now that we are D-I.  Again, it is a sad thing when a young man makes bad choices that will effect the rest of his life.  That is what has happened here.
      Maybe we should have recruited Jamal White instead of Anthony.  Who knows there may be another Jamal on his way to SDSU to have a very sucessful career and will be a model citizen. It will be no surprise that the name Anthony Robinson would quickly be forgotten.

Nobody wants to raise the r word but its subtle appearence is noted by me in those anti D1, anti west coast, anti cities student athlete comments. I can not condone breaking laws of any kind, but it happens every day. Because a person puts on a yellow and blue jersey, he become a big public target. Thats the part I would never cherish if I had been a student athlete.

I really feel bad for Anthony's family, many who probably had high hopes for him to finish at SDSU with a degree in hand. Unless Robinson's attorney can perform some magic, the outlook for Anthony is not good.

Comment

Originally posted by 91rabbit
        My brother-in-law was a football All-American at State in the 80s and once told me that he believed that some of the success NDSU experienced was due to their willingness to recruit "outlaws".  During my years at SDSU we had our share of asshole football players, but for the most part they were an innocuous bunch of guys just looking for a good drunk and what follows.  In order to compete and succeed at the D1 level, the coaching staff will have to take chances on some players like Robinson in order to find the athletic gems hiding in criminal bodies.

Back to NDSU (this is directed at something earlier stated by SDSUFAN regarding athletes from Bancroft, SD): look at their success (and UND for that matter) in the last 20 years.  Where have the bulk of their athletes come from?  The Upper Midwest (mainly MN and WI).  State can compete nationally with a solid core of regional athletes.   Dragging (or however he got here) some troublemaker from California to SD doesn't do anybody any favors.
        91rabbit:

So what you are saying then is that Chris Sindorn, Jeff Beatrim, Arden Beachy, Todd Wash, and host of other All Americans NDSU were thugs and outlaws. Geat all the NDSU fans will love you for that kind of thinking.

NDSU had a rash incidents that cost Coach Rocky Hagar his job and I will not go there, but other than those incidents, NDSU has a very clean record while they were winning several national championships and sure they recruited in Minnesota and Wisconsin much more than SDSU did. Meanwhile we loaded up with the Bancroft boys and got our A@@ kicked from 1976 to 1993 whenever we played NDSU.

As far as the boys from Brancroft what did they do for SDSU? Well they got a good education and I dont have a problem with that. I do have a problem with the countless 6-5 and 7-4 seasonS. A good JUCO running back or even a DB back could have made a difference
        and we could have won two or more games that would have put us in the playoffs. Dont forget the last D2 football playoff appearence was 1979.

One of the reasons that happen is that Yankton College closed and SDSU got several YC athletes where were from the East coast and excellent athletes. That year tells the history of our low recruiting budget and what it could be if we spent some money and activitly recruited the more populous states in the USA, including California.
        A trip to Bancroft is hardly a cost of a gallon gas, but we get exactly what we pay for. So this one incident is not going to stop us from going after good athletes that are not from Bancroft South Dakota ;D

Comment

SDSUFAN, somehow I knew you would jump at this post and would misconstrue what I was saying. I did not want to mention any names (we both could name some Bison--and Jacks for that matter--that could easily be labeled outlaws. What the players you did mention have in common is their MN roots, which is the more important point that I was trying to make. Recruiting a Brookings kid because he is from Brookings will not necessarily guarantee a winning season. To win the NCC (and now beyond that), State must recruit beyond SD and MN/WI have certainly shown their worth to our neighbors to the north in that regard. Wash (and Phil Hansen) is from ND. Bentrim and Beachy are from MN.

I did not imply that all Bison are outlaws. What I did mean is that State can succeed utilizing athletes from the Upper Midwest (following the ND model), but sprinkling a few "outlaws" into the mix may ultimately help in winning games and championships.

Now I know why it has been two months since my last post. But given my propensity to get under SDSUFAN's skin, I just might have to jump in more frequently.

Comment

91rabbit:
            Dont worry about getting under my skin, it happens a lot on the internet and maybe its what we say sometimes. I do agree about MN/WISC connection in recruiting.  NDSU has had a larger football budget and they have gone to Wi often and found excellent people.
            I would hope we would too.

I was always told by HPER people that the reason SDSU did not recruit more in Wi was the difference of out of state tuition and because of reciposity agreements going to Mn and a Western states that includes California. It was I was told a budget buster to recruit 10 or more football players from Wisconsin in the past.

Here is  a link to the cost estimate for 2004-05 from the SDSU offical website. It will maybe help explain why JUCO's from California are being recruited over Wisconsin players.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Admissions/F...mate/Index.cfm

I think once we get all of our scholarships endowed we should be able to recruit Wisconsin more and more parts of the upper midwest, but WUE allows to recruit California athletes at a lower cost than Wisconsin.  There is about a 4000 dollar annual difference for a full ride.  If you multiple that times 10 or 15, we have a$40,000 to $60,000 extra costs just for scholarships.

This is why we ran off to California to find Anthony Robinson.   ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Another example of "it can happen anywhere" from today's Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/We...article5.shtml

Va. Tech suspends younger Vick

RICHMOND, Va. - Virginia Tech quarterback Marcus Vick was suspended indefinitely from the team Tuesday, the same day it was revealed he was charged with reckless driving and possession of marijuana.

The younger brother of Atlanta Falcons quarterback and former Hokies star Michael Vick was charged after an early morning traffic stop on Saturday, state police said. He was convicted in May of three misdemeanors stemming from a drinking party with three underage girls.

The school said the latest charge prompted the indefinite suspension. Officials revealed Tuesday that Vick and two others convicted in May had been suspended for the first three games of the season.

Vick, a redshirt sophomore, was expected to challenge senior Bryan Randall for the starting job this season after the two essentially shared it last season. . . .

In May, the 20-year-old Vick was sentenced to 30 days in jail and fined $2,250 on three counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor after he and two teammates gave alcohol to 14- and 15-year-old girls at the players' apartment. . . .

What does this mean . . . that college kids make dumb mistakes and sometimes they are athletes and we all hear about it.

Comment

I don't mind recruiting from the west coast. I think these athletes are often misjudged as outlaws. There may be a bad apple everyonce in a while, but that's true with the upper midwest boys as well. The extreme situation with Anthony Robinson is probably isolated and something that will never happen again. With the Great West we should have a better chance at recruiting from the Western states while keeping a firm base in the Upper Midwest.

Comment

Originally posted by Charger13
                  I don't mind recruiting from the west coast.  I think these athletes are often misjudged as outlaws.  There may be a bad apple everyonce in a while, but that's true with the upper midwest boys as well.  The extreme situation with Anthony Robinson is probably isolated and something that will never happen again.  With the Great West we should have a better chance at recruiting from the Western states while keeping a firm base in the Upper Midwest.
                  Charger:
                  I would agree with what you said. I think even going to D1AA, I tend to believe tuition costs will come into play in establishing the football budget just as they have in the past. Maybe this will change as we get further down the road in D1AA.

Wisconsin has not worked cost wise for SDSU, but I would hope we would recruit a little more in Wisconsin. Once the D3 schools in Wisconsin decide to go D2, a great number of programs will be affected, such as St Cloud, Winona and MSU-Mankato. The Wi kids will stay home if they can play d2.

Comment

"Think of this SPORTSFAN, when Roy Williams was at Kansas he took his team to Grand Forks to play DII UND. Let me emphasise that again, Kansas played AT DII UND. It can and will happen someday."

Jeffrey Allen Boschee. Nickname: Bosch. Birthdate: December 21, 1979. Birthplace: Valley City, N.D. Height: 6-1" Weight: 185

Roy Williams had a tradition for all of his seniors - he would play a road game in their home state against an approproate team if they could line it up. That is the reason they played UND. Check back with other KU seniors to see some of the places they played.

Comment

Originally posted by SPORTSFAN
                      "Think of this SPORTSFAN, when Roy Williams was at Kansas he took his team to Grand Forks to play DII UND.  Let me emphasise that again, Kansas played AT DII UND.  It can and will happen someday."

Jeffrey Allen Boschee. Nickname: Bosch. Birthdate: December 21, 1979. Birthplace: Valley City, N.D. Height: 6-1" Weight: 185

Roy Williams had a tradition for all of his seniors - he would play a road game in their home state against an approproate team if they could line it up. That is the reason they played UND. Check back with other KU seniors to see some of the places they played.
                      Who cares about the reasoning playing at UND (I'm familiar with Roy Williams' practice of doing that). The fact is that they played the game. All it takes is for one other coach at a "big-time" DI school to have the same attitude and SDSU ends up with a very attractive home game. Regardless there is always that possibility that an upper echelon team may commit to a trip to Frost.

Sorry for straying off topic. I'm done with this angle.

Comment

The reason why KU played UND in North Dakota that year is because of a particular senior on KU's team that year that was from the state of North Dakota. Name that player?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBunnie
                          The reason why KU played UND in North Dakota that year is because of a particular senior on KU's team that year that was from the state of North Dakota.  Name that player?

You're late, see the post by SPORTSFAN above.  I think we all know about Roy Williams and his practice of playing a game in each seniors home state.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                          X