Running back arrest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Running back arrest

I was watching this develop on the Argus website. A very Nate Newton/Bam Morris/Dennis McKinley-esque situation. But Robinson's haul was small compared to the professionals.

14 lbs of weed is worth around 1.5 to 2 yrs in the federal system. I don't know what a SD state court would do.

Comment

I'm really sorry to hear the news about one of you guys star running back. I would have hope to see you all at full throttle when we first meet, hopefully everything will work out for the best.

Comment

Not to worry bluedog, he was far from a star running back. He had a total of 256 yds for his college career. Anthony Robinson's misdeeds will just make sure that Demetrice Wiggins (RS Freshmen from Miami, Fla) will be the #2 back behind Anthony Watson. We will be at full strength.

Go State! ;D

Comment

As far as i know, or have heard, wiggins is no longer with the team. He either got cutor was academically ineligible. Just what i heard, may be wrong. ;D
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

You may be right, I had not heard that.  It would be to bad if true.  That being said, I was probably wrong anyway, Brad Janecke (Soph. from Ridott, Ill.) is now most likely #2 on the depth chart.  He got into a few games last year.  Does anyone know for sure?

Go State!  ;D

Comment

JackMD says, "No one should try to blame SDSU, the coaches or his teammates for any of this. This sould reflect on Anthony as an individual and not on SDSU as an institution." Who got him to Brookings in the first place? Of course it reflects on SDSU, it's program and its coaches. Someone had to check out the kid when he was being recruited. Or did he buy a bus ticket to Brookings and walk on?

Comment

14 pounds of Marijuana . . . if the alligations prove true (innocent until proven guilty) will I be proud of this young man? No. Did his actions reflect poorly on our beloved institution? Yes. Is SDSU at fault for the criminal actions that a back up running back, on our football team, chose to engage in? No.

Sad incidents like this can and do happen everywhere. One need not look much past the headlines to see that it is so. Case in point Marcus Whalen former BYU starting running back.
                http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595067688,00.html

Y. tells Whalen game is over

Final suspension may doom 2 players' careers
                By Tad Walch and thingy Harmon
                Deseret Morning News

PROVO — The college football career of former Brigham Young University running back Marcus Whalen may have died Wednesday.

BYU officials met Wednesday with Whalen and wide receiver Breyon Jones to inform them of the university's final decision to suspend them until January 2005 for violations of the school's Honor Code. Both players also face criminal charges in Provo's 4th District Court stemming from allegations they beat up and robbed an acquaintance on April 14. . . .

If it can happen at a Private Faith Based University like BYU it can happen anywhere. Universities are made up of people, people by their very nature are flawed. I do not condone what Anthony Robinson is accused of, however I will not condemn SDSU for giving a young man a chance. A chance that it looks like he has thrown away with his actions. It is sad to see a young man with promise make a foolish decision, lets hope that he learns from it, and is a better person once he has paid his debt (if he is found guilty).

Comment

Something else to think about is what Chris Solari wrote in Saturday's Argus.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Saturdayfeature.shtml

Welcome to a brand-new world, SDSU
                  Chris Solari
                  Argus Leader

published: 7/3/2004

Move to higher class should help state get noticed more

. . .If you believe Darwin, South Dakota State's official move to Division I on Thursday is akin to humans beginning to walk upright. And I'm pretty sure modern man had more than his share of stumbles between his initial steps and first marathon.

Tuesday held a little of both around Brookings. Football player Anthony Robinson was arraigned for allegedly being caught with 14 pounds of marijuana that he intended to sell. Across town on campus, the Jackrabbit family was planning a news conference to trumpet the hiring of Olympian Rod DeHaven as the new cross country and track coach.

On the eve of the move to Division I, those two things are as big-time as you can get - hiring a coach with experience at the highest levels, and having an athlete busted for allegedly doling out a lot of highs.

Many inside the state don't realize the difference between Division I and II, but the rest of the country does. Stray from the bounds of the North Central Conference, still among the pinnacle of Division II leagues, and you'll find that few casual sports fans know - or care - about D-II. It says a lot that South Dakota was the only state in the U.S. without a Division I program until this week.

And it's a pretty certain statement those same fans don't know about South Dakota State. Yet. What the move to Division I will do, though, is increase the visibility of both SDSU and the entire state. There is no reason that the other schools in lesser divisions - D-II and NAIA - shouldn't reap benefits from having the state known nationally for something other than Tom Daschle, Mount Rushmore and Sturgis.

For area fans, it just adds a new attraction. There may come a day when sports nuts here will have to choose between going to an Augustana-University of South Dakota men's basketball game in Sioux Falls, or making a trip north to see the Jackrabbits play someone such as Iowa or Kansas. Options for entertainment are never bad. . . .

Go State!

Comment

The pressure to win at DI is so strong that programs are forced to take a chance on kids that may or may not turn out.

If I read one more meaningless SDSU story in the Argus I am going to cancel my subscription. Chris Solari and the rest of the Argus sports staff must think we South Dakotans are hanging on every tidbit about the DI move.

As far as Kansas or Iowa coming to Brookings - you have got to be kidding me.

Comment

Originally posted by SPORTSFAN
                      JackMD says, "No one should try to blame SDSU, the coaches or his teammates for any of this.  This sould reflect on Anthony as an individual and not on SDSU as an institution." Who got him to Brookings in the first place? Of course it reflects on SDSU, it's program and its coaches. Someone had to check out the kid when he was being recruited. Or did he buy a bus ticket to Brookings and walk on?
                      When the judical system has worked its course, I suspect there will be internal questions asked by about how Mr. Robinson was recruited.  What I recall was that he showed up at start of fall camp. Fontana California is a long ways from Brookings, and there has to be a network of connections to SDSU that brought Mr. Robinson here.

I see he was on the roster of NWMSU game but did not play. I do recall he was in on a number of plays in the Winona State game the following week.

I do not have a complete print out of the 2003 media guide, but what I have does not have Mr. Robinson pictured.  What that tells me is that he was added at fall camp.

When people are added at the last minute its easy to waive a number of steps in recruiting.  Even if the scrunity for Mr. Robinson had been as complete as it had been for the other athletes and it may have been, I dont see how our coaches or any one connected with the recruiting process, would have the clairvoynence to  see the recent incidents involving Mr. Robinson.  

With South Dakota Bureau oF Investigation being involved besides the Brookings police, it appears that some one was very aware of Mr. Robinsons activities prior to his arrest. Who?   I have no idea, and Mr. Robinson's attorney probably does know more than most of us.

I dont think there are any winners in this affair.

Comment

Doesn't SDSU have a relationship with an L.A.-area community college?
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Yes there is a relationship with one JUCO and I dont recall if this is the one that Anthony attended or not.  My understanding is that SDSU will give admittance to those JUCO academics who complete their two year JUCO program in California and can not get admittance to a 4 year state assisted college in California.  I dont think this arrangement has anything to do with athletics, but as I what I read the arrangement was purely an academic arrangement and is another way of keeping our enrollment up and help out a state that has overcrowded campuses.  I think this program is a feather in the hat of President Miller.

Any student athlete that would end of at SDSU as a result of this arrangement would be a bonus.  I think they had something like 16 to 20 students on campus last year.  With budget cuts in higher education in California, its a big plus for SDSU to get these students and maybe some will stay in SD.

Comment

My brother-in-law was a football All-American at State in the 80s and once told me that he believed that some of the success NDSU experienced was due to their willingness to recruit "outlaws". During my years at SDSU we had our share of asshole football players, but for the most part they were an innocuous bunch of guys just looking for a good drunk and what follows. In order to compete and succeed at the D1 level, the coaching staff will have to take chances on some players like Robinson in order to find the athletic gems hiding in criminal bodies.

Back to NDSU (this is directed at something earlier stated by SDSUFAN regarding athletes from Bancroft, SD): look at their success (and UND for that matter) in the last 20 years. Where have the bulk of their athletes come from? The Upper Midwest (mainly MN and WI). State can compete nationally with a solid core of regional athletes. Dragging (or however he got here) some troublemaker from California to SD doesn't do anybody any favors.

Comment

Originally posted by SPORTSFAN
                              The pressure to win at DI is so strong that programs are forced to take a chance on kids that may or may not turn out.

If I read one more meaningless SDSU story in the Argus I am going to cancel my subscription. Chris Solari and the rest of the Argus sports staff must think we South Dakotans are hanging on every tidbit about the DI move.

As far as Kansas or Iowa coming to Brookings - you have got to be kidding me.
                              First off, the pressure to win at the DII level is great too meaning coaches take chance on kids in order to help put a W on the board.  This can't be attributed to the DI move.

Secondly, the people of South Dakota have been reading meaningless stories about USD and Augie for years, SDSU finally is getting some press in a way that is meant to be informative for the entire state. Too many people don't know the particulars of what is going on at SDSU and only have opinions based on poor information. Chris Solari is finally taking time to put the right information out there for people to read. There's something in this country called the freedom of choice, if you don't want to read it, don't. When USD or Augie does something worthy of a series of articles I'm sure the Argus will cover them as well.

Finally, the FES'ers will be holding a pre-game gathering when Kansas and/or Iowa come to town passing out T-shirts saying "Sorry fans, we were wrong". Think of this SPORTSFAN, when Roy Williams was at Kansas he took his team to Grand Forks to play DII UND. Let me emphasise that again, Kansas played AT DII UND. It can and will happen someday.

Comment

What some seem to be forgetting is that Anthony Robinson, was going to be a jr., thus he was recruited as a D-II player.  I reject this notion that going D-I means we are going to have thugs on campus.  People are people and by their very nature are flawed.  This arrest has little to do with SDSU and has nothing to do with our move to D-I.  An incident like this has happened to us as a D-II school it could happen again now that we are D-I.  Again, it is a sad thing when a young man makes bad choices that will effect the rest of his life.  That is what has happened here.

Comment

Working...
                                X