Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU @ UCD

Originally posted by jackmd

Priceless insight . All that needs to be said.
    I aspire to be "Master of the Obvious."
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Strange game.. the team was really flat before kick off, and seemed less than pumped to start the season.
      Speed will be a challenge this year, and special teams needs a recharge. It has been a long time since the Jacks struggled in all the phases of the game.
      Brad Nelson was still woozy after the game, took a shot when he missed the hand off to Anthony Watson.
      Not a fun day....
      The plane got back to SF at 4:20 Sunday morning....

Comment

If its any consolation, the first Jackrabbit team to fly to a football game was a very good and very well coached Ralph Ginn team in 1956. The Jacks flew to Tucszon Arizonia to play the U Of Arizonia. Guess what the score of that game was?

65-0.

I believe SDSU lost to Minnesota way back in the 1930's 81-0. So this was not the worst drubbing in SDSU history by any means.

Its was the most bizarre game in some time. So many things went wrong. Its surreal the more you think about it. I trying not to though.

I think special teams really has a big job ahead of them particularily when we have a kick off or a punt return. Steve Emming kept mentioning that UCD had a defender who ignored the wedge and came at Solomon Johnson from the rear. To consistently to have Solomon Johnson stopped at the 17 or 20 yard line was not good. I think the wedge works, but the returning back needs some other type of protection. Well thats one for the coaching staff to work on. ;D :

I look for Coach Sawyer of Winona to really exploit this part of the game, or at least he will try. We need to win this week or its going to be tough for our guys to suck it up.

Comment

I didn't get to listen to your game as I was in Greeley, but it sounds like the speed difference was big. I think the bottom line for SDSU is that you need to get your scholies up there with the rest of us so you can be competative week in and week out. With out an increase in scholies you will have a hard time getting in the "win column" consistently.

Comment

Originally posted by WYOBISONMAN
            I didn't get to listen to your game as I was in Greeley, but it sounds like the speed difference was big. I think the bottom line for SDSU is that you need to get your scholies up there with the rest of us so you can be competative week in and week out. With out an increase in scholies you will have a hard time getting in the "win column" consistently.

I agree that SDSU needs to increase the scholarships sooner rather than later. However, I do not think that Davis has any more football scholarships than SDSU - so that is not an excuse. Even UNC has only 41 compared to SDSU's 38. Hopefully, SDSU is better than the final score of their first game or its going to be a long season. SDSU usually plays good at home - the problem is that they have only 4 home games this year. A SDSU blowout of Winona would help restore some confidence to the team.

Comment

Ouch. I was excited to finally see a Jackrabbits score on the ESPN ticker, but it was a downer to see the blowout score.

That said, there are a lot of crazy things that happen in the first game of the year and hopefully this one was an aberration. Here's hoping the Jacks get it together, pound Winona and get on the winning track.

Comment

UCD had a good turn out for the game, with 8,000 in attendance. Nobody really left early dispite the score. UCD's football/track stadium is not as good as Coughlin. The UCD band was really bad, they wore cut-offs, or blue jeans with matching T-shirts.
                School doesn't start for 3 more weeks. That isn't the normal band (although I would say that is about the type of turnout/performance that they put on for road games). For early September games Davis usually draws around 6,500 and 8,000-10,000 from late September on.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Fan

For early September games Davis usually draws around 6,500 and 8,000-10,000 from late September on.
                  Since we are talking about attendence, I thought I would throw a few numbers at everyone. UC-Davis had 6,050 (200 + were Jackrabbit fans) at the game this did outdraw UNC who had old rival NDSU in town. The Bears only had 5,311. I expect that we will draw much better for our home opener, even with the lousy start to the season.

Here is a link to the NCAA attendence figures through week one. Please note that UC-Davis and UNC are at the very bottom because they (like us) are provisional. NDSU and SDSU's stats are counted with D-II this season, don't ask me why . . . the NCAA rules are a little strange.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/Internet/...ekrylYQ3fgElXL

Comment

Working...
                  X