SDSU @ UCD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU @ UCD

Hey, SDSUFAN....I'm still pondering that comment about the Pride of the Dakotas! ;D That's a heck of a band, you know, and adds some big-time atmosphere to the game setting. Year in and year out, the Pride thinks its one of the best bands in the college...few would disagree.

I hope our football players have that same attitude and I'm looking forward to listening to the game tomorrow night. I think Davis was favored last time we traveled out there and State put on a good show. We'll do it again.

I caught some news on the USD -- Peru State killing. Poor Peru State! Hapless. Not much competition for the Coyotes. TV reports showed some of the updates to the Dakota Dome and it looked better.

Comment

It is almost game day, a new season is just about upon us. This is a time for optimism. We will have plenty of time to talk about what is wrong with the program if things don't go well. Just my personal opinion, and I respect everyones right to express theirs. I know we all care about the state of our football program, and I have expressed my concerns in the past. However I will save those concerns for another day as it is time for the Jacks to strap it on and get after the Aggies. Best of luck as we enter our first season of I-AA football and best of luck winning the inaugural Great West Football Conference Championship.

Go State, beat UC-Davis! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
        Hey, SDSUFAN....I'm still pondering that comment about the Pride of the Dakotas!   ;D That's a heck of a band, you know, and adds some big-time atmosphere to the game setting.  Year in and year out, the Pride thinks its one of the best bands in the college...few would disagree.

I hope our football players have that same attitude and I'm looking forward to listening to the game tomorrow night.  I think Davis was favored last time we traveled out there and State put on a good show.  We'll do it again.

I caught some news on the USD -- Peru State killing.  Poor Peru State!  Hapless.  Not much competition for the Coyotes.  TV reports showed some of the updates to the Dakota Dome and it looked better.

JackJD:

I agree the Pride of Dakotas is tops and James McKinney the director videos each show and he probably is more intense about his performance than our coaches have been on some occasions.  But with the new changes in the staff, maybe their intensity will top that of the Band Director.

If some SDSU fans had their way, we would have a concert and play football at the intermission of the concert. ;D. Buts thats terrible and disrespectful to those who have played on the field and gave it all they got.  I just hope that both Band and football team will soon be the best in the nation. ;D

Comment

Good Luck Jacks....

Comment

Thanks WYOBison.

And another note as a former player. I think we're one of the few programs in the nation that really does appreciate what the band does, the players that is.

Comment

A Story from Aggie land,

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports...11529507c.html

UC Davis attempts to continue a winning tradition in a new league
              By Debbie Arrington -- Bee Staff Writer
              Published 2:15 am PDT Friday, September 3, 2004

Great West champions? That sounds more than great to UC Davis.
              Following a season of transition with nothing to play for but pride and another winning record, the Aggies long for a football conference title. A longtime independent program, UCD had not been able to attain such an honor in almost a generation.

But this year, in a newly formed conference, the possibility exists.

"I'd love to be the team to win the first Great West championship," senior linebacker Tom Parisi said. "That would be something special."

Added senior center Marc Manfredda, "This gives everybody on the team something to shoot for."
              Coming off a 6-4 season plagued with knee injuries and illnesses, the Aggies will find out immediately how they measure up in the new Great West when they host South Dakota State on Saturday in both teams' season opener. Kickoff is at 6 p.m. at Toomey Field. . . .

Go State! ;D

Comment

Highlights from the Argus preview:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sa...article4.shtml

SDSU finally gets its chance
                Chris Solari
                csolari@argusleader.com

published: 9/4/2004

After months of waiting, I-AA opener kicks off today

DAVIS, Calif. - Nearly nine months of waiting and anticipating have finally ended. At 8 p.m. CT today, South Dakota State gets its first chance to show it belongs in Division I-AA football.

The Jackrabbits will help christen the first weekend of Great West Football Conference play as they take on California-Davis at Toomey Field.

SDSU, which won its final five games last year to finish 7-4, was picked by both the media and coaches to finish last in the six-team Great West. Feeling slighted, the Jacks are firmly focused on dispelling the doubters.

"Obviously, they don't have much respect for us because we got picked last in the conference," said senior quarterback Brad Nelson, who set a number of SDSU passing records last season. "As a team, we all feel that we all need to go and prove ourselves."

Davis, after going 6-4 in their first year in I-AA, is tabbed third in the Great West preseason coaches poll and third by the media. The Aggies, who were without conference affiliation since 1993, have run off 34 consecutive winning seasons, including 10 straight under current coach Bob Biggs. . . .

The Jackrabbits, who bring 56 players to the game, boarded a charter flight in Sioux Falls at 10 a.m. Friday with coaches and staff more than 40 fans. About 125 people made the trip with the team, with other fans expected to fly out commercially. They'll meet up with group of about 100 West Coast SDSU alums today, Assistant Athletic Director Rob Peterson said.

"We're hoping to have at least this many on every (football road) trip," he said.

It's the third meeting between the schools, with SDSU winning John Stiegelmeier's head coaching debut 17-7 here in 1997 at Toomey Field. The Aggies came back to Brookings the following year and downed the Jacks 30-13.

"It ends up coming down to four or five plays to who wins a game," Stiegelmeier said.

Those key plays, in theory, could be decided by whichever team wins the battle of the new: UC-Davis' offense against SDSU's defense.

The Jacks lost seven defensive starters from a year ago, including their entire secondary. They return a solid group of linebackers, led by senior Chris Coauette and sophomore Marty Kranz.

They'll go against a new quarterback, sophomore Jon Grant, as well as three fresh offensive linemen. But Grant is surrounded by a solid nucleus that includes receivers Kevin Freeman and Jesse Oliva, along with running back O.J. Swanigan.

"All around, they're a very good team," SDSU senior safety John Perry said. "They're very athletic. I think that recognition of their formations and what they're running before they run it is going to be a big challenge for us."

On offense, Nelson returns under center after setting single-season SDSU passing marks for yards (3,141) and TD tosses (27). He finished second in Division II in passing efficiency, and top targets Josh Davis and Solomon Johnson return at wideout.

Nelson calls UC-Davis' veteran-laden defense "unorthodox."

"They play a lot of zone underneath and man over the top," he said. "It's something different that we haven't seen before, but we've had a couple weeks to prepare now."

Biggs expects the game to play out like a chess match, with each team making adjustments as the game goes along.

"It's the same old thing," he said. "Who plays well on special teams, who cuts down on mistakes and who doesn't turn ball over as the best chance to win." . . .

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Aggies! ;D

Comment

Its game day! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Let's Go Rabbits! ;D

Comment

Here is a link to out clubhouse on ESPN.  

SDSU Jackrabbits

Still not complete, no logo, etc..  The schedule is there and so is a link to the GWC standings.  I expect a 1-0 after our game tonight.

Todays West coast College football schedule from ESPN.com. We're on the same page with Notre Dame, not bad.

West

Carroll Mont at Idaho State, TBA

Appalachian St. at Wyoming, 3:00 PM ET

Maine at Montana, 3:05 PM ET

Oklahoma State at UCLA, 3:30 PM ET  

San Diego at Azusa Pacific, 4:00 PM ET

Idaho at Boise State, 8:05 PM ET

Humboldt State at Cal Poly, 9:00 PM ET

Idaho State at San Diego State, 9:00 PM ET

South Dakota St at UC Davis, 9:00 PM ET

Southern Utah at Weber State, 9:05 PM ET

Notre Dame at BYU, 9:15 PM ET  

San Jose State at Stanford, 10:00 PM ET
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

CSTV has a summary of the match-up. Maybe this is the same as the Aggie scouting report.

http://www.collegesports.com/sports/...090304aag.html

Quotes from the Aggie coaches:

On the start of the season:
                      "It's great to be able to prepare for a team in a new conference. Last year, of course, we fought that mental battle about not being eligible for the playoffs and not having a conference title to play for. To have have our opening game against a conference foe and in a new conference makes it very exhilirating and exciting for everybody. That helped with the team with their workouts during the offseason and certainly in the preseason; just the anticipation of playing in a new conference."

On the Jackrabbits:
                      "South Dakota State is very well-coached. They play a very physical style of football. They like to pass the ball on offense. Their quarterback, Brad Nelson, is an excellent thrower and he's got a host of good receivers. Defensively, they have some new faces but they have a great linebacker group that is back and a great defensive end. They make it tough to run the football but they'll let you do things in the pass game; but they won't give up the big play. That's the challenge. They force you to be very consistent offensively."

On the Aggies:
                      "I like our football team. It's a bunch of `no-name' guys that I think people will get to know. I like the overall depth. It's certainly nice having guys like (cornerbacks) Derick Daniels and Andy Sullivan and (tight end) Daniel Fells and those kind of people back that were such great players for us last year and all got hurt. And I think we have a mix of some new players that have really stepped up. Defensively, I think there's some players over there that people may not know a lot about that are going to be pretty good players."
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I think this can serve as the game thread. Right now looks like I am the only one here anyways. Listening to the pre-game and coach Stig. Lets get our first GWC win before NDSU, that would be nice. Go Jacks!!!

We will need big games from Nelson, Davis, Jancecek and Watson. Even more important the O-line. Keep the turnovers to a minimum (killed NDSU today) and watch the penalties. As for defense, don't give up a big play early. All we need is a fair performance from the D. Special teams are the great unkown here. All I am expecting is steady play. Don't let UC-Davis bust any returns and make the PATs and FG's under 30 yards.

Go Jacks, the first DI game in the history of SD football!!

Comment

Sounds like its a warm, sunny day. This will test our conditioning. It would be nice to have UC Davis in Brookings in November.

Here comes the kickoff, Jacks will receive. I expect us to try a big play early.

Here we goooooooooo DI football.

Not a great return, down at the 16 yd line.

Comment

Pro-set working for Davis, using the run to set up the pass and having success in the air.  Pass defense is, of course, our greatness weakness unfortunately.

Poor play calling gets Davis in trouble in the red zone.  However, on 3rd and long they hit the little receiver across the middle.  7-0 Davis.  We need a long drive on offense.  Let go Rabbits!!

Comment

Special teams breaks down on punt coverage but defense comes up big holding Davis to a 26 yard field goal. TD drive and we are right in this game.

UC-Davis 10
                              SDSU 0

We need a better kick return.

Comment

Well this is not the start that we were looking for. >
                                Come on Rabbits!

Comment

Working...
                                X