Winona State- An opponent that should be respected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winona State- An opponent that should be respected

I going to get a thread started here as we need to move on like 89 rabbit said in the other thread.  Winona is a very good football team.  They have two wins over good programs of the MIAA.  They have not beat Pittsburg State nor NWMSU, but did beat the rival of NWMSU, namely MWSC located in St Joesph Missouri.

They also took good care of Truman State, the team USD beat the week before.
    Here is the link.  I will post the entire story in another post since.  These links expire after a period of time.

http://www.winonadailynews.com/artic...rts/00lead.txt

Re: Winona State- An opponent that should be respe

Published - Monday, September 06, 2004

Warriors roll it up

By Jim Kohner of the Winona Daily News

A running back, three wide receivers, a field-goal kicker and the defense all got into the scoring column Saturday for the Winona State University football team.

In a game WSU head coach Tom Sawyer called "bizzare" and quarterback Brian Wrobel called "weird," the Warriors pulled away in the second half to drub Truman State University 56-28 in nonconference play at Maxwell Field at Midwest Wireless Stadium.

Winona State, ranked 17th in the latest NCAA Division II coaches poll, ran its home winning streak to 21 games. But it didn't come as easy as the final score indicates.

"It was a bizzare game," Sawyer said. "It was one of those out-of-sync days. We had the better football team, but we didn't play well. Once we settled down and made some big plays, we were alright."

It took the explosive Warrior offense a while to get untracked, mainly because it wasn't on the field much in the first half.

In the first quarter alone, Truman State (0-2) rank 28 offensive plays to WSU's three. But the Warriors held a 14-7 advantage.

In the first half, the Bulldogs ran 50 offensive plays and held the ball for 20 minutes, 50 seconds. WSU ran only 22 plays and its time of possession was 9:10. Still, the Warriors led 28-21.

"It was a weird first half," said Wrobel, who completed 20 of 30 passes for 284 yards and three touchdowns. "We ran three plays in the first quarter. Our defense was on the field a long time. They played a lot better in the second half because we had some big drives and gave them time to rest."

The game got off to a terrible start for Truman when Terry Chandler fumbled the opening kickoff and WSU's John Tackmann recovered the ball on the 9-yard line.

Two plays later, freshman running back Alex Wiese scored from 3 yards out.

The Bulldogs came back and marched right down the field and had a second-and-goal at WSU's 4-yard line.

Then quarterback Jake Czeschin made the mistake of throwing the football in Luke Lokanc's direction. The junior free safety stepped in front of Czeschin's pass at the 1-yard line and returned it a school-record 99 yards for a touchdown for a 14-0 lead.

Truman didn't go quietly, though. On its next possession, Czeschin drove the Bulldogs 89 yards on eight plays and tossed a 15-yard touchdown pass to Cole Voigt.

Midway through the second quarter, Truman's special teams came up big when Josh Mayson blocked a Pat Hurley punt and Jesse Cooper fell on the ball in the end zone to tie the game at 14.

That play seemed to wake the Warriors up.

On their next possession, Chris Samp ran a deep post pattern and Wrobel delivered a strike for a 47-yard score.

Less than two minutes later, after an interception by defensive end Ben Turnquist, Wrobel tossed a 15-yard scoring pass to freshman receiver Scott Peters.

Truman scored on its final possession of the half, but WSU pulled away from there, getting a pair of field goals from freshman Eric Kraus, a 22-yard scoring pass from Wrobel to Brian Hynes, a 1-yard touchdown run by Wiese, and a 64-yard interception return by Tackmann.

"We felt we gave them 21 points," Truman coach Shannon Currier said. "Anyone could catch those interceptions and run them back. We have to make big plays, not give them up. The bottom line is, we have to stop people."

Samp caught 6 passes for 108 yards, and in the process went over 3,000 yards in career reception yardage. Wiese led the rushers with 75 yards on eight carries.

Czeschin threw for 293 yards by completing 32 of 48 passes.

"It's coming," Sawyer said of his team's progress. "We're still young. We didn't make some hits. We never got on the field early. We lost some of our emotion early."

WSU travels to South Dakota State next Saturday.

Comment

SDSUFAN is right, WSU is a good team and we need to be ready for them. I am sure they are coming to Brookings planning to win this game. We need to re-group and be ready for them. I am looking forward to the Home opener.

Go State! ;D

Comment

How about some predictions. Whose going to come up big? Who needs to play better? Whose going to win?

Nelson is going to have a big game this week (provided he's not seeing double). If he's not in I have no problems with the ball in Andy K's hands. The secondary and special teams needs to improve. SDSU 42-35.

I think after last week the offense is going to put some points up. 275 passing and over 100 rushing is not out of the question. Rush defense will again be there but Winona is going to stretch the field and put points on the board throwing the ball. If we win the turnover battle and improve on special teams we should win.

I can't wait for the home opener. Hopefully the attendence will be close to 10,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
          SDSU 42-35.

I hope the game is nowwhere near this close. SDSU needs a convincing win.

Comment

One thing that scares me about this week is that even though SDSU got shellacked last weekend, the players will still feel like they should win this week no matter what and could play flat (again). One reason being that we're now a DIAA program, Winona State is DII, so we must be better. Another reason is that we just should beat them. It's hard for twenty year olds to realize that you have to play the game in order to win every week out. Last year we should have won, but didn't. This year we need to win, and should, but SDSU's players can't come out flat and expect to win. If Winona gets hot early it could be over early. They are a good team and not a lot has changed from last year to this on either side (other than our classification),

I hope Nelson is healthy and has a "Nelson-like" game. Somewhere this week the special teams need to be figured out. Special teams are about excution and desire. If the other guy wants it more than you then he's going to make the play, simple as that. No need to change schemes, may have to change players, but definately need to change attitudes. Coaches always preach that you need to win two out of three parts of the game (offense, defense, or special teams) in order to win, but mostly you need to win special teams and one of the other because your defense can dominate, the offense can move the ball all day, but a few mistakes on special teams can blow it all to hell.

My prediction, Jacks in a nail biter; attendance 6500 actual bodies in the stands.

Comment

I believe we had about 8500 in attendence last year for the home opener/cereal bowl vs NWMS. I think we'll top that this year provided we have nice weather. I believe the forcast should make for an enjoyable evening of football.

Comment

I will be there!!!! I am also planning on tailgating. If any of you have not tried it yet I would strongly recomend it. It is a blast, espically with nice weather.

Go Jacks!

Side Note. For those of you who didn't know, Winona is Brad Nelson's home town. He moved to a suburb of the Twin Cities while still living at home, but he considers Winona his home town. Hopefully it will be extra incentive for him to have one of his flawless games. I think if he gets hot it will give the rest of the team the confidence boost they need after last weeks whooping.

Comment

Yes, Brad would like nothing more than to beat Winona-they should have last year....

He is feeling better, so he should be ready to play on Saturday!

Comment

There are a few changes on this weeks two deep, especially in the defensive backfield. Some changes in the line backers too.
                    The plan is to slim down the play book a bit, and improve on execution. I would expect to see more of an effort to run the ball too.

Comment

I am so ready for the game tomorrow.....tailgating........pound on Winona. Word from practice is they had a very good week of practice...good hard spirited hitting. The team mood is up and they will be ready. Last week is a distant memory, they owe Winona from last year.

Go Jacks.......
                      http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

here's my two cents from my column this week...

Winona State @ South Dakota State

Thing should be a little better this week for the Jackrabbits, as they take on the D-II Winona State Warriors. The NSIC reps actually enter the game 2-0, having beaten Missouri Western, and Truman State, averaging over 40 points in the wins. Last season these two teams met and Winona actually won at home 30-23. The Jackrabbits out-gained the Warriors in that game, but SDSU turned the ball over three times and committed 10 penalties. Not a winning formula.

This week SDSU needs to get back on track. UC Davis had too much team speed for the Jacks and it showed on the field. The quarterback that played in Davis is not a true representation of Brad Nelson (3-13, 21 yds, 1 int) I fully expect Nelson to have a big game and get things going. Last week's game in Davis, however, may be a sign of a long season to come. The Jacks have to capitalize on winnable games, and this is certainly one. Back for Winona is the QB/WR combo of Brian Wrobel, and D-II All American Chris Samp. They will test the Jacks inexperienced defense once again, especially after last week. The Warriors will score, but they won't steal this game. If SDSU does not make mental mistakes and takes care of the ball they win this game. Winona will score, but SDSU will score more. Big game for Nelson this weekend as the Jacks win their home opener. South Dakota State 38, Winona State 34

Comment

I would tend to agree with CK. This should be a shootout. I think we have better talent but our tendency towards poor discipline, special teams lapses, and turnovers cost us last year and may be a factor today. We really should win this game by at least 10 points and I will be disappointed but not suprised if its closer than that. Suck it up and come to play.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I was at the game, and hats off to the coaching staff for getting the team back to performing basics and for shuffling the starting defensive line up for more speed on defense.  Mike James, No 30 had a great game and was in the QB face for most of the night.  Our passing game was on Janecke had a few nice catches as did Johnson and Davis. Our Tight Ends Keizer and Ryan Lowery came through in great fashion as well.

One of the big surpises was our kicker Parker Douglas who was 6 for 6 extra points and one 30 yard fg.  Douglas is a true freshman from Columbus Nebraska.  He turned down a walk on at UNL to come to SDSU, where he knew he would have a shot at playing.

I was at both games against WSU and the biggest difference this year was the lack of turnovers by SDSU and WSU made the turnovers.  We attacked on both sides of the ball and took advantage of our line size.  We wore down a good team.  WSU committd penalities that they are not likely to do in future games and at times they displayed frustration in not being able to control the game.

I feel a lot better now about where our program is going. I think with another good performance against Western Oregan, the Jacks should be ready to take on Southern University. I dont think we will going into Baton Rouge in a timid fashion and should be able to give them a good game.

Comment

Nice to see someone finally had some comments on the game. I find it very ironic how after we got blown out in Cal. There were tons of people posting with lots of negative things to say. Now that we played a good game no one is saying anything. True Wenona is a DII program, but they are a good DII program and we flat out made them look bad. Overall good game by the Jacks. However, I am worried about our defense. They had good pressure on the quarterback all night, but unless that happened, a decent gain resulted. The defense needs to get better if we want to win more games.

Thank you for your good post SDSUFAN.

Comment

Working...
                              X