Winona State- An opponent that should be respected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Winona State- An opponent that should be respe

Sounds like it was a great game, 8,500 plus fans. Wish I could have been there.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Nice to see the Jacks beat up on a DII opponent. I had a hard time believing UC-Davis was really 52 points better than you guys. I think it will be difficult to guage how good you guys really are until you get a couple more games under your built.

Comment

From being at the game on Saturday, i have to say i was pretty impressed with the team.  Defense played a lot better than i thought they would after listening to the Davis game.  Run defense looked outstanding (except the big option play for the TD by the Winona QB) pass defense was off an on.  I thought the offense looked good, Nelson still wasn't up to the form of last year, but it is only the second game.  However, last years opener versus NWMST was possibly his best game of the year.  He looked really good at times against Winona, and then missed some passes that he didn't last year.  The long pass to J. Davis was underthrown and Josh made a great play to turn it into a big gainer.  Overall, I was impressed and i think a lot of people were especially the ones that were predicting a close game or a Winona win.  We didn't get a lot of respect coming of week 1 (and maybe we shouldn't have), but we should be a little more respected now.  I really hope we played bad out in California, otherwise the rest of the Great West may want to take a close look at Cal Davis.  
        We should walk over Western Oregon, but that will be our last cupcake.   The rest of the schedule will be interesting. ;D The crowd was great at 8500+, i sat on the visitors side and there were maybe 100 winona Fans there but not much more. It sure would be nice to bump attendance up over 10,000 on a regular basis. I would bet that the NDSU game draws quite a few as it will be a big home game, beef bowl, senior day on campus for prosepective students, and they will bring down quite a few from fargo. Any predictions on attendance?

I agree with Rabbit FB alum, it is pretty sad that after Davis there was a lot more comments and activity on the board and this week nobody is around. :-/
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

1st off, glad I found a Jacks message board!!!

Was at the game as well on Saturday.  Very good game against a really good DII team, with plenty of room for improvement.

I was impressed by a lot of things.   I thought the defensive intensity was great and really liked the kicking game.  Specifically the Freshman PK from Neb, nice leg, kickoffs were to the endzone almost everytime and should be a good to great FG kicker.   I'm sure he didn't get to kick much in the first week.  

I thought the key to the game was the long sustained drives in the 1st half to get our first TD and fieldgoal.  That set the tone and wore down their D.  Although our D did give up some drives to Winona, they weren't ever on the field that long and had the fire until the end.  

SDSU also gained a lot of extra yards throughout the game with 2nd efforts and breaking takles. The whole team definetly showed drive and intensity the entire game.

The fans seems to be sitting on their hands, which is to be expected after last week and a not having a win yet in DI.  I look for a lot more next week.

Should be about the same crowd next week.  However I'd bet that we go over 10,000 for the NDSU game.  We don't play at home for two weeks and they should send a lot of fans down from ND.

I expect a win next week and hope they can hang with Southern for awhile, but that will be a bearcat of a game.

Comment

I would guess that NDSU will send down a couple thousand (2-3,000) at least. It's the only road game within driving distance :-/, so I'm sure a lot of the Mpls. area alums will make the trip to Brookings as opposed to the SCSU or Mankato games in past years.

Comment

with good weather - there should be 12000+ vs. the bison on Oct.9.

Comment

That would be a good start to a long tradition...

Comment

Originally posted by jack100
                  with good weather - there should be 12000+ vs. the bison on Oct.9.
                  With good weather I think this is a conservative estimate. We should approach 14,000 especially with good on field performances up to that point.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Sorry, it took so long to post, yesterday was a bear at work for me and then I tool customers to the Royals vs Yankees game (Mike_H should be happy KC pounded NY).

The team looked good and I couldn't have really asked for more.  I had a blast at the after game social for Jackrabbit Club members.  It was GREAT meeting so many people from the board.  I also had a great time talking with the Coaches (many sports:  Swimming, Football, Cross Country, etc.) and Administrative staff.  Just another great reason to join the Jackrabbit Club.

I am going to try to make the social after this weeks game, however I am taking my son and he is a little guy so not sure how long I will get to stay.  So if you see a dark haired guy with a blond headed Jr. Jack in tow, in the tent, it is probably me.  Hope to see many of you at the Shrine Game.

Go Jackrabbits, beat Western Oregon!  ;D

Comment

Anyone know the record attendance? Or at least what a good HoboDay attendance is?

Comment

Oct 1985 SDSU vs USD Attendance: 16,1__

Comment

Record crowd:

Hobo Day 1985 16,193 fans saw the SDSU Jackrabbits beat the #1 ranked USD Coyotes 24-12. 8)

Go State! ;D

Comment

I see that nobody put a link to the Argus story on the game so here it is a few days late.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayarticle1.shtml

SDSU tops Winona St.
                            Chris Solari
                            Argus Leader

published: 9/12/2004

Jacks show improvement from opening-game loss

BROOKINGS - If anything, South Dakota State won't have to worry about going winless in its first season in Division I-AA - even if Saturday's victory was against a Division II opponent.

The Jackrabbits' offense recovered from its anemic debut, and their defense appeared a little quicker than it did last week as SDSU defeated Winona State 45-20, avenging last year's loss to the Warriors.

"It's all about building," SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier said. "It's all about climbing up the hill and getting better every day."

The 8,718 fans at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium watched as senior quarterback Brad Nelson rebounded from the worst performance of his two-year run as a starter. Nelson, a native of Winona, Minn., threw for 316 yards and four touchdowns Saturday, completing 24 of 31 passes. Two of those scoring strikes went to senior receiver Brian Janecek in the opening half. . . .

A shuffling of personnel brought more speed to the defense, with junior college transfer Mike James bringing the heat on blitzes at linebacker as SDSU sacked Winona quarterback Brian Wrobel four times and pressured the Warriors' passing attack numerous others.

"We knew they were going to run a lot of sprint-out passes," said senior Chris Coauette, who had a team-high 10 tackles and an interception after moving from middle to outside linebacker. "We knew we could get at them with a lot of edge pressure." . . .

Go State! ;D

Comment

Working...
                            X