Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNC page and BSC

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
    FargoBison-Rabbitlivinginverm stole some of my thunder. Your a typical Bison fan arrogant and living in the past. I guess all SDSU fans owe a debt of gratitute to NDSU for taking us along on the way to the Big sky as your travel partner. Their are no redeeming qualities about SDSU other than we are partnering with NDSU? The two schools do compliment each other and are a stronger force together than apart. As it relates to Basketball the SDSU Men are annually 20 game winners,  playing  for a conference championship, in the tournament and leading DII in attendence. The SDSU women were always competitive and over the last 3 were the ones in the elite 8 not NDSU. I lost a lot of respect for Amy Ruley this year when I saw the easy schedule she put together. We will see how well she does at the DI level. I would say Aaron Johnson is off to a pretty good start against DI competition. I might also add the SDSU women also led the nation in attendence last year. I expect both the women's games against NDSU to be a war! Right now I think the SDSU Basketball package looks better than what you have up north!
    Stop educating the Bison fans!! I like them ignorant and arrogant. These are easy traits to exploit. Having what they believe remain as far away from reality as possible is the best thing for us. Same goes for the UNC fans. We just need to keep minding our own business, keep our ducks in a row, and look to the future. Make sure you wear you sunglasses.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

"NDSU and SDSU bring more of a total package, both being flag ship schools, with lots of support, and tons of tradition."

I know I sort of made it sound like SDSU is being just brought along with NDSU, but I did close with what I wrote by saying that.  And yes your mens basketball team is great and always has been, and the Lady Jacks are doing very well currently against D1 teams and were the best team in the region for the last 3 years. But I was argueing on womens basketball tradition and SDSU lags behind in that department, for now. As for Amy Ruley I think she can do whatever she wants to do when it comes to scheduling. If she wants to have a D2 farwell tour then so be it. What matters is next year the Bison are playing 25 D1 games just like the Jacks are going to do. In Amy's defense she did have a few D1 games that did get canceled. And Amy has tons of D1 connections and I'm sure she could have gotten more games if she really wanted to. It's not like the Bison won't be playing powerhouse teams in the near future anyway. They will play the Gophers next year and Ruley did get a verbal commitment by Pat Summit that the lady Vols will be coming to Fargo some time, maybe they will go to Brooking too. And that SDSU-NDSU game will definatly be a war, and I'm sure Amy will have her team ready to go. As for total basketball package I will say that it is an equal package, both schools mens and womens teams are close to equal, right now.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison
        "NDSU and SDSU bring more of a total package, both being flag ship schools, with lots of support, and tons of tradition."

I know I sort of made it sound like SDSU is being just brought along with NDSU, but I did close with what I wrote by saying that.  And yes your mens basketball team is great and always has been, and the Lady Jacks are doing very well currently against D1 teams and were the best team in the region for the last 3 years. But I was argueing on womens basketball tradition and SDSU lags behind in that department, for now. As for Amy Ruley I think she can do whatever she wants to do when it comes to scheduling. If she wants to have a D2 farwell tour then so be it. What matters is next year the Bison are playing 25 D1 games just like the Jacks are going to do. In Amy's defense she did have a few D1 games that did get canceled. And Amy has tons of D1 connections and I'm sure she could have gotten more games if she really wanted to. It's not like the Bison won't be playing powerhouse teams in the near future anyway. They will play the Gophers next year and Ruley did get a verbal commitment by Pat Summit that the lady Vols will be coming to Fargo some time, maybe they will go to Brooking too. And that SDSU-NDSU game will definatly be a war, and I'm sure Amy will have her team ready to go. As for total basketball package I will say that it is an equal package, both schools mens and womens teams are close to equal, right now.
        Agreed, I for one never thought I would be this excited about women's BB. I look forward to the SDSU/NDSU match-up every year. I think we might even suprise USC on Saturday, then again, maybe it shouldn't be considered a suprise if we win?
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison

Using that logic our football teams are an equal package then as well since "both teams are close to equal right now". Go ahead Fargobison and post that the football programs bring the same merit to the BSC on bisonville and see the lashing you will take. Even though your women's program is historically dominent saying the two basketball programs are equal is laughable as well.
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

jackrabbit1979- I don't know if the same logic applies to NDSU and SDSU in football, SDSU still has some catching up to do. Even in the now the two teams may be close but NDSU is still better, one win doesn't change that, the rabbits need to be more consistant if they want to get on NDSU's level(and they aren't that far behind). And when I was talking basketball I was refering to the present time. Wouldn't you say that both teams are pretty equal right now?

Comment

I've never understood Jacks fans bashing Amy for the schedule. I really think most of that responsibiltiy fell on Lynn Dorn and Gene Taylor.

Comment

Originally posted by NDSU_grad
                I've never understood Jacks fans bashing Amy for the schedule.  I really think most of that responsibiltiy fell on Lynn Dorn and Gene Taylor.
                I don't care what kind of schedule the bison play or who makes it as long as we are on it at least twice a year in BB and once in FB.  I like our chances in all 3.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979

Even though your women's program is historically dominent saying the two basketball programs are equal is laughable as well.
                  That would be laughable to say that. NDSU has 5 National Titles in women's b-ball to SDSU's one. SDSU has been better in the last couple of years but does that mean SDSU easily has a better womens basketball program than NDSU. Thats like saying Cal has a better football program than Nebraska because they have been better the last couple of years. Even that might be a bad comparison since Nebraska has really fallen this year and NDSU was conference champion just last year. I hope that SDSU does start to dominate NDSU in all sports, I will cheer for a SD school over a ND school every day of the week. But lets not act like your sports programs have been better. Your mens basketball program is better, but thats about it. I hope we have seen the end of NDSU's dominance in women's basketball. Hopefully the last couple of years is a sign of whats to come for the future. I would like to see the Jacks sweep the Bison women this year.

Comment

I also am a convert to Women's Basketball and probably more excited about the Women's game than Men's this year. I think the women's teams at SDSU and NDSU are more talented and will make an easier transition to DI. I do think Amy Ruley and to a lesser extent Tim Miles should take some heat for the lackluster schedule they put together. Have Bison fans really looked at the Men's and Women's schedules that SDSU compiled this year? I think because Amy Ruley has built a great program that fans would have a greater expectations for a great schedule. She's your coach and if your satisfied they did their job than so be it. I think the tough schedules the Jacks played will show up when playing the Bison!

Comment

Originally posted by sports_buff

That would be laughable to say that.  NDSU has 5 National Titles in women's b-ball to SDSU's one. SDSU has been better in the last couple of years but does that mean SDSU easily has a better womens basketball program than NDSU.  Thats like saying Cal has a better football program than Nebraska because they have been better the last couple of years. Even that might be a bad comparison since Nebraska has really fallen this year and NDSU was conference champion just last year. I hope that SDSU does start to dominate NDSU in all sports, I will cheer for a SD school over a ND school every day of the week.  But lets not act like your sports programs have been better.  Your mens basketball program is better, but thats about it.  I hope we have seen the end of NDSU's dominance in women's basketball. Hopefully the last couple of years is a sign of whats to come for the future.  I would like to see the Jacks sweep the Bison women this year.
                      Its nice that you have an opinion on this and that you wanted to share it.  Caveat, knowing your allegiance to  a DII school, division, conference, your opinion might not add much to a DI discussion except to raise the ire of some.  Comprende, mi amigo?

Comment

What i was referring to was fargo bison's assumption that the basketball programs, especially the men's program, are equal in luster to the big sky.  He/She had said that as of right now the programs are equal which may be true on the women's side but even if our men are down this year, i wouldn't call the programs equal.  Just like i wouldn't say that jackrabbit football is equal to bison football because we have beat them a couple times in the last five years.  I was using football to make a point that i think we were not getting the credit we deserved in bball.

Also, you are completely correct with the above post Jack MD, thanks sports_buff.
                        Splitting hairs i guess.  :-/

Comment

JACKGUYII,

I think you're wrong in stating that most NDSU fans are holding themselves above SDSU. The vast majority of Bison fans view SDSU as a peer, and a partner in the transition to DI.

As far as scheduling goes, Ruley scheduled out the regional schools, and then went after the DI schools. While I don't exactly agree with her method, it does give the Bison visibility for recruiting in the region, and helps ease into the transition. Jump in the swimming pool, or get in gradually- the results are the same. Next year NDSU will only be able to schedule about 4 non-DI's, so the schedule will be better.

Tim Miles only scheduled DI teams that are returning to Fargo. Either home/homes or 2/1's. He did not want any guarantee games like the Jacks have, as it does not help out scheduling in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

Its nice that you have an opinion on this and that you wanted to share it.  Caveat, knowing your allegiance to  a DII school, division, conference, your opinion might not add much to a DI discussion except to raise the ire of some.  Comprende, mi amigo?
                            Am I misunderstanding you when I say that you think I don't know what I'm taking about and can't have a valid opinion on any D-I school because I cheer for a DII school? Thats what it sounds like you are saying but I know that can't be. That would be too absurd. Thats like saying my opinion couldn't add anything to a BCS discussion in college football because I follow the NCC. I have followed plenty of D-I schools to if that makes my opinion any more worthy. How long does one have to be a fan of D-I athletics to realize NDSU has had a richer tradition in sports than SDSU? Or does one have to graduate from one of those schools to be able to figure it out?
                            Being that I do follow the NCC as you alluded to I find myself very qualified to give my opinion on the strength and tradition of programs that have participated in the NCC.

Comment

Sportsbuff,
                              NDSU has great athletic programs and tradition in Football, Women's Basketball, Track, Wrestling, etc.
                              SDSU has great athletic programs and tradition in Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball, Cross Country, Wrestling, etc.

Why are they a more storied program?

Bisonguy, I think that most NDSU fans do hold themselves above SDSU fans. All fall before we played you could look at bisonville chats and SDSU did not even stand a chance to win that football game. We have a better Bball program than NDSU but if you ask someone it would be because our football program is weaker. We have also taken a lot of abuse about our schedule on bisonville and how we could only schedule good 1-AA games because nobody was afraid we would beat them, but the bison couldn't get games because of the win in Montana last year. (It couldn't be that our AD and coaches have done a better job of scheduling for the first transition year) However, i would think that you would say that most Jack fans on this board hold themselves above bison fans as well. ;D ;D ;D

So i guess to each his own.

Comment

I give the SDSU coaches and administration a lot of kudos,credit etc. for their philosophy that if we are going to be a DI school then lets go out and play the best teams out there. I think the job they have done is a real credit to them and it shows me they are taking this move serious. There is a lot of hard work that goes into scheduling. I heard Nagy say that he may have over done the difficult away schedule we had early in the year. I will take that over the alternative any day.

Comment

Working...
                                X