• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Realistic Guesses for Next Season

Originally posted by SiouxFallsJack
    My predictions:

Montana and Georgia Southern losses

NDSU- 40% chance of winning and our best chance in recent memory

Cal-Poly, UNC, Southern Utah- 80% chance of winning and a loss would be disappointing

UC-Davis- 60% chance of winning and would be great to get payback for last year

Texas State- 55% and our best shot at a road win

La Crosse, Valpo, Rolla all wins and major disappointment if we lose one of these

So if everything falls in place 9-2, 8-3 would be a great accomplishment, 7-4 would be expected, 6-5 major disappointment.  
    Agree with most of this. I think we will pull a major upset this year. By that I mean a win over GSU, Montana, or NDSU at the dome (that would be a major upset in my mind). I also think we might lose a game we shouldn't. 9-2 is a dream, 8-3 can't be expected but is a realistic high-set goal, 7-4 should be expected, 6-5 would be disappointing but not in a major way. Under .500 would be hard to swallow.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I am hoping for 9-2 also but see 6-5 as more likely although maybe we could break thru against texas st. The problem with that game is that it will be played in intense heat of south texas in early oct which is probably worth a few points for the home team.
      We will lose against ga southern, montana, ndsu, texas state, and davis and have a 6-5 season which to me is perfectly fine. I just can't see beating davis after they put such a big hit on us last year. Hard to close that kind of gap in one year. Also, I have been to ndsu probably 6 times in my life and have never seen us win there. I just can't see us breaking through this year. If we could break thru against one of the above teams and win 7 games that would be great. Go SDSU!!

Comment

I wouldnt be too concerned about the heat for the Texas St game, It will be in October, and at night. In the game against Southern at Baton Rouge last year, the temp was close to 90 with intense humidity and it didnt affect the team at all. I predict a win over TSU. As far as Davis goes, I think SDSU wants payback for that game more than any other. Cal-Davis better be ready to get it on in Sioux Falls. UCD will get what they have coming to them!!

Comment

One other thing......I think both the Su's need to make UNC pay for being so {c o c k y} lately.....let's send them off to the Sky with a little pain!

Comment

Originally posted by WYOBISONMAN
            One other thing......I think both the Su's need to make UNC pay for being so cocky lately.....let's send them off to the Sky with a little pain!
            What would be great is if we repeat what we did back in '02 when we left d2 and swept the NCC and made it to the semis. We have a history of jumping back on our feat and creating a big send off. Of course we can't make the playoffs but we can sweep the conference (not likely) but it would be cool! Bear Down!

Comment

Originally posted by uncbearsfan

What would be great is if we repeat what we did back in '02 when we left d2 and swept the NCC and made it to the semis.  We have a history of jumping back on our feat and creating a big send off.  Of course we can't make the playoffs but we can sweep the conference (not likely) but it would be cool!      Bear Down!
              Not really.  Remember this?  :-[

http://www.detnews.com/2003/college/...rts-243734.htm

Northern Colorado forfeits three wins over NCAA violation

By Associated Press

GREELEY, Colo. -- Northern Colorado forfeited three wins from the 2002 football season Tuesday after the NCAA said the team used an ineligible player.

Quarterback Steve Cutlip was ineligible for academic reasons but played in four games, school spokesman Colin McDonough said.

The Division II school then held Cutlip out games, including the playoffs, as the Bears finished 12-2. At the time, school officials blamed Cutlip's problem on "unresolved paperwork issues."

Cutlip is back with the Bears this season.

"Due to the complexity of the case, we appreciate the cooperation of the NCAA in bringing this case to a close as a secondary violation," Athletic Director Jim Fallis said.

Northern Colorado forfeited wins over Western State, North Dakota and Minnesota State at Mankato. He also played in a loss at Montana. The record will show the games' actual scores, but the records won't include the victories.

The North Central Conference said the forfeits to North Dakota and Minnesota State mean the Bears were 6-2 in league play and the championship must be shared with St. Cloud State (6-2).  .  .  .

With 4 regular season losses you should have never made the playoffs, lucky for UNC the NCAA didn't find the violation until after the season was over.  I don't think you want a repeat of 2002.  The Bears should just concentrate on improving their 2-9 record from last season and not worry about sweeping the Great West.  : After all the title of the thread is “Realistic guesses for next season”.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Gosh darn it '89rabbit. That was a heck of a year despite the Steve Cutlip mess. Why did you have to bring up those memories? And believe me it was a mess. Great player though, and I believe he was the only parade all american we've ever had at UNC. Really that whole mess up was because of our AD back then (who is now the AD at Nothern Arizona), despite that setback we had a very good team and really went out in style. Just as I believe we could leave the GWFC this season!

Comment

about the GSU game at coughlin, if the weather is bad i would almost favor the jacks over the highly powerful eagles. remember a game a few years ago against western washington in brookings. the weather was horrible, snow and wind. the jacks were big underdogs and ended up killin western washington. i believe josh davis set the game record for receptions that game. if the weather doesnt go in our favor though as much as i hate to say it, gsu will role over us.

Comment

Welcome to the board futurejack, thanks for posting.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by uncbearsfan
                      Gosh darn it '89rabbit.  That was a heck of a year despite the Steve Cutlip mess. Why did you have to bring up those memories?   And believe me it was a mess.  Great player though, and I believe he was the only parade all american we've ever had at UNC.  Really that whole mess up was because of our AD back then (who is now the AD at Nothern Arizona), despite that setback we had a very good team and really went out in style.  Just as I believe we could  leave the GWFC this season!
                      I am sure UNC is happy that Steve Cutlip affair is behind him. I tried to follow what was going on D2Football.com, the Greeley Newspaper and etc.  The NCAA rules can sometimes be subject to more than one interpretation.
                      I respect UNC officals for sticking up for what they felt the rules were, but with NCC being very competitive, Mike Marcil the then NCC commissionor no doubt got his ears burned more than once by the conference members AD, coaches and maybe even presidents. The rest of the conference obviously did not agree and St Cloud got an unearned NCC championship plaque based on the Cutlip affair.

I hope as a person Steve Cutlip has moved on in life and is doing good at whatever his chosen profession may be.

One question I threw at one of SDSU'S assistants this winter at BB game and that question was: Did he think that the UNC coaching had went south this past season with UNC having a losing season?"  Answer I got was no, but rather the UNC offensive line was very young and inexperienced and as much as they wanted to beat SDSU this past season, they could not do it."

Also I personally give credit to the defense who contained Vincent Jackson, who we will probably see this fall in the NFL I believe.
                      I would wish the SDSU Jacks the best this season as it will be a challenge to beat UNC.  A sound beating would be nice. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

I am sure UNC is happy that Steve Cutlip affair is behind him. I tried to follow what was going on D2Football.com, the Greeley Newspaper and etc.  The NCAA rules can sometimes be subject to more than one interpretation.
                        I respect UNC officals for sticking up for what they felt the rules were, but with NCC being very competitive, Mike Marcil the then NCC commissionor no doubt got his ears burned more than once by the conference members AD, coaches and maybe even presidents. The rest of the conference obviously did not agree and St Cloud got an unearned NCC championship plaque based on the Cutlip affair.

I hope as a person Steve Cutlip has moved on in life and is doing good at whatever his chosen profession may be.

One question I threw at one of SDSU'S assistants this winter at BB game and that question was: Did he think that the UNC coaching had went south this past season with UNC having a losing season?"  Answer I got was no, but rather the UNC offensive line was very young and inexperienced and as much as they wanted to beat SDSU this past season, they could not do it."

Also I personally give credit to the defense who contained Vincent Jackson, who we will probably see this fall in the NFL I believe.
                        I would wish the SDSU Jacks the best this season as it will be a challenge to beat UNC.  A sound beating would be nice. ;D
                        As far as I know Steve is a bartender here in Greeley. I hope he's doing well too. What a great talent to be wasted.

Comment

Working...
                        X