Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2005 Recruits

Originally posted by Mike_H
    Sounds like he got away 2 years ago when he when to Wahpeton. We can't compete for recruits with the Spartans and Wildcats. I wonder why he went to a JC out of high school? Any insight?
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Our locker rooms are less than stellar, that's a given. However, the disgrace would be putting field turf over Coughlin's historical grass. In four years of playing at CA, the only time the condition of the field was an issue was when it snowed 5 inches the night before the game and they had to plow off the snow with a pickup 2 hours prior to the start of the game. The slush subsequently froze and we were left with a hard ice field. Adding field turf would not have helped that situation. Adding field turf is not an option. Building a new field house should be our main concern.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
        Our locker rooms are less than stellar, that's a given.  However, the disgrace would be putting field turf over Coughlin's historical grass.  In four years of playing at CA, the only time the condition of the field was an issue was when it snowed 5 inches the night before the game and they had to plow off the snow with a pickup 2 hours prior to the start of the game.  The slush subsequently froze and we were left with a hard ice field.  Adding field turf would not have helped that situation.  Adding field turf is not an option.  Building a new field house should be our main concern.
        I concur, the actual field at CAS is excellent. First priority should be locker rooms on sight. Next, address concessions and seating on the east side of the field. Parking will also be a ever growing problem. CAS is far from a disgrace.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

Sounds like he got away 2 years ago when he when to Wahpeton.  We can't compete for recruits with the Spartans and Wildcats.  I wonder why he went to a JC out of high school?  Any insight?
          This is a very good question. I would be careful here though, because two of SDSU JUCO recruits, Mike James and James Epps, are both graduates of a private school in Kansas City and had excellent GPA'S, however the coaching staff member who worked in recruiting told me that they both did not like the D1 and D2 choices that were offered right out of high school and that is why they choice going to Fort Scott JC.

Epps and James may be the exceptions, but you have to consider that they had few D1AA choices in the KC area. With the guy from Yankton, I think MSU may have had a eye on him two years ago, looked at his academic record and helped him get that straighten out at Wahpeton. I hope he is doing well academically, and yes it would have been nice to see him as a Jack, but we can't win them all.

Comment

My question was open ended, no yes or no answer will suffice. It was also meant without bias and only has an inquiry. I am interested to hear the opinion and maybe even some facts from people more "in-the-know" than me. Mike_H. says "he got away". Maybe he was never courted. If so, I ask, why not?

Comment

He was recruited by SDSU. When I went up there last year(I think for the State/U Game), he was on a recruiting trip. He decided to to go to NDSCS, and it was thought he was coming here afterwards. I guess not though.

Comment

I've spoken with someone very close to Jordan Paula and he is leaning toward SDSU.

I do know this past summer at the SDSU football camp the coaches were fighting over Jordan. The offensive coaches wanted him working offense and the defensive coaches wanted him working defense. Appears to be alot of options for Jordan. You can't teach 6'3", 215 lbs, and 4.5 speed.

Do the facilities need improve? Yes, but if you can't get "jacked up" about playing at CAS on a Friday night you're not a football player. I would think CAS is a plus when recruiting ESD or high school players you've played at CAS.

GO JACKS
                Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!!!

Comment

I assume Bobby Jones is a brother of current Jack (Willie Jones) of Yankton who I think continues to improve. It's hard to fault a kid who has enough talent to play at Michigan State to choose that option. Yankton seems to always produce some real good football players and I wish we were getting more of them. Last year we got Travis Devine who was Honarable Mention Argus Elite 45 while we lost Justin Frick to NDSU who may be a starter next year after a reshirt season. This year NDSU got the biggest member of the Elite 45 6'8 310 lb Gerry Ebel of Yankton. I hate to lose good players to our neighbors to the north. Why do we think this is happening?

Comment

Realize Yankton is in the heart of coyote country, if the kids themselves don't think it, they probably been told by parents, grandparents, and other adults of all the horrors of SDSU and why it is a rotten place to go to school.
                    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I can't really comment on why we are losing these players, cause I don't know, but Bobby Jones is Willie's little brother.

Comment

I have heard through the grapevine that the Paula kid is garnering interest from quite a few coaches. He had a number of them visit BHS in the past few days. Don't know if they are more of the D1 or D2 variety.
                        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I would expect us to have a very good recruiting year. We proved we can compete, have a wonderful schedule and have some openings for some good players to come in and compete for playing time immediately. I don't think the well is drive but we do need to add depth at a lot of positions. Will be interesting to see where are recruits come from in our second year of focusing on athletes that can compete at the DIAA level. In order to compete with the elite in DIAA I think it's clear we need to add more speed on all areas of the team.

Comment

As far as Bobby Jones goes I understand that he had some eligibility issues and we had hoped to "hide" him in Wapeton until he could get his grades improved. Obviously, he had some good seasons and got a bit too much exposure.

Comment

I think geopgraphy does play a role. When Arlin Likness (Yankton's head coach) was at Hamlin, many of his players went on to play at SDSU. Mark Tetzlaff, Jeff Thue, Dave Lieseth, Mark Stevenson, just to name a few. Don't see why that would change except for the proximity to Vermillion. Too bad Likness doesn't have a contact at state. As for USD, not a factor, unless a kid wants to underachieve.

Comment

Looks like SDSU lost another one.

http://in-forum.com/articles/index.c...section=Sports

The Bison have found a recruiting fit in South Dakota. Ryan Schuttloffel, a 6-foot-7, 293-pound lineman from Sioux Falls Roosevelt, gave NDSU a verbal commitment.

He played defense in high school, but Roosevelt head coach Brent DeBoer said NDSU will probably play Schuttloffel on the offensive line.

"For his size, he's a pretty quick kid," DeBoer said.

Schuttloffel's word comes after Yankton High lineman Gerry Ebel, 6-7 and 315 pounds, gave NDSU a commitment.

"They got two of the biggest kids in our state," DeBoer said.

Comment

Working...
                                X