UW-La Crosse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UW-La Crosse

UW-L is DIII but its the first game of the year. I think there is a lot of stored up energy for football fans to release over the long Summer. Its almost football time!!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
      If the Jacks get anything over 8,000 for a DIII opponent than I think we are turning the corner as it relates to bringing the same kind of support for football that the basketball teams have enjoyed for years.
      I agree. Historically, these types of games have drawn in the neighborhood of 4-7K depending on whether the students were around. I hope the excitement from last year and excitement of the first weekend of school keeps the students around this year. I would love to see 9K for an attendance. Would be a great start to the season.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Best tailgating too, I presume its a night game? It must be a huge game for them. A few yrs back when Southwest State was NAIA they would travel to DI-AA games. I know they played University of Northern Iowa several times. It is a no win situation, but just go aout and do what you have to do and its behind you. The team is the better for it and the fans have a great time. Go Jacks. We want you in Fargo undefeated!

Comment

Looks like the Eagles may have a bit of a QB controversy. Here are highlights of a La Crosse Tribune story.

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/artic...rts/00lead.txt

Schumann will start opener for UW-L

By JOEL BADZINSKI / La Crosse Tribune

John Schumann thought about the UW-La Crosse football team's 2004 playoff loss to Linfield (Ore.) a lot over the summer.

And the more he thought, the harder he worked. That paid off Wednesday when Eagles head coach Larry Terry announced that Schumann, a junior, will start Saturday's season opener at South Dakota State University.

Schumann has been the regular-season backup to senior Steve Tennies for the last two seasons but gained a slight edge over the last 2˝ weeks of pre-season drills.

"John was just real sharp the whole camp," Terry said. "He was mentally focused. He has really learned to play fast, to get through his progressions, get the read and get the ball off."

Schumann's first regular-season start will come against a Division I-AA team on the road, a difficult task that he said he's looking forward to.

"You definitely want to challenge yourself against good teams and we're going to have our hands full," Schumann said. "We're going to go out there and play with confidence."

As for Tennies, who was named All-Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference first team last year after passing for 2,032 yards and 18 touchdowns, Terry said he won't get stuck on the bench.

However, Terry said earlier this week that he doesn't want to get into a "musical quarterbacks" situation, so Wednesday's decision was not taken lightly.

"We know we have two good quarterbacks," Terry said. "Steve will get some looks in the first game and then we'll see what happens." . . .

Go State! ;D

Comment

put johnny in a bodybag baby!

Comment

Originally posted by BDSUPERJACK
              put johnny in a bodybag baby!
              I second that and plan on having more than one bag! I can't wait for the kickoff. I only wish I could be in Brookings and at the backyard for the sunrise on Saturday. Brookings needs to be hummin from sundown Friday until sunrise Sunday. I hope the student fan base has grown and that the alums and locals continue their support. I won't be there in body but I will be in spirit. I just wanna see the Jacks kick some ass!!!
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I hope the Jacks can lite it up the 1st quarter and get the 2nd and 3rd strings some playing time while protecting the #1 guys.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum

I agree.  Historically, these types of games have drawn in the neighborhood of 4-7K depending on whether the students were around.  I hope the excitement from last year and excitement of the first weekend of school keeps the students around this year.  I would love to see 9K for an attendance.  Would be a great start to the season.

I wouldn't expect that SDSU will be breaking any attendence records this weekend, with 1. O'Gorman & Roosevelt playing Saturday night (Dakota Bowl) 2. no "Pride" playing at this week game 3. Holiday weekend.

I hope I am wrong though!

Going to be a beautiful weekend to tailgate & watch some football.

Go Cats, Go Rabbits!

P.S. Josh Davis with 2 TD's

Comment

We need some predictions for score:

38-10 is my conservative guess.

Comment

27-7 if offense struggles

37-10 best guess-if we pick up where we left off last year

51-13 if offense is firing on all cylinders

Comment

23 hours and 10 minutes until kickoff. I can't wait!

Comment

Couple Notes:

I have had a chance to see the new scoreboard in action. Things definitely won't be as dead in Coughlin as it normally is when the Pride isn't there. I can't wait to experience it in its full splendor.

Bring your Cowbells! I understand they are going to be leaned on as the featured crowd noisemaker (Nothing like something with a little history over something that makes noise e.g. thundersticks)

Comment

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/artic...rts/00lead.txt

UW-L receivers to share the load

By JOEL BADZINSKI / La Crosse Tribune

BROOKINGS, S.D. — Football coaches are usually tight-lipped in the days leading up to a game, but UW-La Crosse's Larry Terry was ready to talk anyone's ear off when it came to the subject of his wide receivers.

And no, the Eagles haven't found another year of eligibility for 2004 WIAC Player of the Year Scott Burnoski.

"I think we're awfully good at wide receiver," Terry said. "We have a lot of good football players at that position; we're as deep as we've ever been. Now, do we have the next Scott Burnoski? We can't know that until the season gets going. But it's nice to have so many. The more you have, the harder you are to defend, and I'd say that's the case right now."

UW-L opens its season at 7 p.m. today against NCAA Division I-AA South Dakota State. The Eagles arrived in Brookings on Friday afternoon and had a short walk-through practice at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

Burnoski caught 72 passes for 931 yards and 14 touchdowns last season, making him one of the conference's most dangerous weapons.

The Eagles probably don't have a single go-to wideout this year. Instead, juniors Eric Kettenhofen (15-394) and Paul Killoren and sophomores Ted Everson (2-14), Jason Wagner, Cody Jenson and Jesse Johnson will try to provide a Burnoski-by-committee.

"How can you not miss a conference player of the year?" Kettenhofen said. "On the other hand, I think we'll be fine without him, and if the ball gets spread around more and we still win, that's what counts."

Kettenhofen said the receivers are OK with sharing the workload.

"The quarterbacks and the coaches feel comfortable that all of our receivers, probably even six to seven deep, can get the job done," Kettenhofen said. "Everyone's looking good in camp and the more the merrier. I think it's going to work really well."

[color=blue]ROAD ‘DOGS: The Eagles have been happy to play the role of underdogs this week as the SDSU game approached. That mindset was probably further cemented when they got a look at 15,000-seat Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

"I'm sure they're thinking we're a lowly Division III team and they'll come in and pound us," Kettenhofen said. "But if we take it as a chip on our shoulder and play like we can, I think we have a good chance."

Terry didn't discourage the David vs. Goliath mentality.

"This is going to be a heck of a challenge," Terry said. "We just want to play well and start to find out what kind of team we have."

SDSU made the move to Division I-AA last year and finished 6-5. Football teams in I-AA are allowed 63 full scholarships and the Jackrabbits are using 42 this season.

"We better not overlook (UW-L) for a number of reasons," SDSU head coach John Stiegelmeier said. "There are numerous examples of teams getting beat who do that. And if you watch film or study their tradition, you know they can walk on the field in a lot of situations and expect to win. We're not taking anything for granted."

Joel Badzinski can be reached at (608) 791-8402 or joel.badzinski@lee.net

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
                              We need some predictions for score:

38-10 is my conservative guess.

The more I think about this game the more I realize that we should blow this team out. Granted, they defeated UMD (an NSIC school now in the "new" NCC) and gave USD a game (lower NCC school when the NCC was real) but to compete with SDSU on our home field would not be acceptable. Thats the fact and anything but an easy win for the Jacks would be disappointing for me.

SDSU 41 LaCrosse 10

Never a game, not even close.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I'm here, only better place to be would be at CAS. Storm just blew through, kids played in the rain, now its time for the Jacks to score their first TD of the year.

Nice return on the KO. Let go Rabbits!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X