Montana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Montana

We need our best from everyone and a few mistakes by the Griz on their home turf. If we can win the turnover game, keep the penalties to a minimum, dominate special team and control the t.o.p. by running the ball succesfully this will be our biggest IAA win thus far.

SDSU 27 Montana 20
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Montana article

http://missoulian.com/articles/2005/...s/sports01.txt

Comment

Not going to happen, MD. Just too much power. But I second the invitations I've seen here, to enjoy Missoula the night before and of course the pre-game tailgates. For those of you coming, I suggest for the night before, the Press Box, Stockmans or Rhino - all downtown. Tailgating begins at 11:00 AM - show your home colors and you won't be able to buy a beer.

Comment

Foreman up for challenge linebacker position bring

Foreman up for challenge linebacker position brings
          By FRITZ NEIGHBOR of the Missoulian
          http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2...s/sports02.txt

Two years ago, Muckie Foreman was pursuing a baseball career, so he turned down a scholarship offer from the University of Montana.

On Saturday he's likely to start at strongside linebacker for the Grizzlies, against South Dakota State.

It's been quite the odyssey for the 198-pound Foreman, a sophomore who was in UM coach Bobby Hauck's first recruiting class, but didn't show up on campus until winter semester of 2004.

The sophomore was recruited as a cornerback; much of his limited action last season - he made 13 tackles - came at safety. Now he's a linebacker, after starter Loren Utterback suffered a broken foot in last week's 47-14 loss at Oregon.

"I'm loving the switch," said Foreman, from Spanaway, Wash. "I'm a little undersized, but I think with my speed and knowing the game a little bit, I think it's a little better fit overall."

It was a fit though the position change didn't occur until fall camp.

"It's a chance to get him on the field," said Hauck. "He's a good player, and we're always trying to get our best 11 players on the field. We do that everywhere, from the offense to the kicking game to the defense."

"I was a little skeptical," said Foreman. "But I sat down with the coaches (Hauck, safeties coach Tim Hauck and linebackers coach Ty Gregorak) and talked to them. I agreed with them by the end of the meeting.

"We'll see how it goes."

Hauck said sophomores Alex Hawthorne and Tom Martin will back up Foreman, although Foreman is also No. 2 on the weak side, behind sophomore Tyler Joyce. Freshman Tyler Corwin also backs up the weak side, while sophomore Kyle Ryan backs up senior Shane MacIntyre in the middle.

It's still a young group, including the 21-year-old Foreman.

"Again, he's just a young player," said Hauck. "We have a tendency to overlook the fact these guys are just freshmen and sophomores."

Joyce leads the team in tackles, with 18.

If you wonder how Anthony Watson ended up at South Dakota State, part of the reason is the SDSU campus. Brookings, S.D., is just 90 minutes from his home in Worthington, Minn.

Another part is that he intended to go to North Dakota State in Fargo, N.D., but the Bison were out of scholarships by the time he committed.

And finally, nobody else wanted the 5-foot-10, 220-pounder to play running back.

"That was one of the reasons I came here," Watson said Thursday. "All the D-I and I-AA schools wanted me to play defense. My uncle told me, 'Don't play anywhere you're not comfortable, because you won't put 100 percent of your heart into it.' "

The Texas native - he was recruited by Iowa State, along with most of the old North-Central Conference - has given his heart to the Jackrabbits. He's averaged 98.3 yards in 24 games for the Jackrabbits.

QUICK KICKS: The forecast for Saturday is a high of 51 with a 70 percent chance of rain. As in 1993, the Jackrabbits boast plenty of beef up front. The lightest is junior center Mark Oelkers, who weighs 281 pounds. Left guard Taylor Murray, a senior, weighs 300. Saturday will mark one of just three road games for SDSU this season. The Jackrabbits, who had seven road games during their 6-5 2004 campaign, have eight home games this year.

Comment

Could this be the game that Watson proves he is among the elite backs of IAA? With the 1st quarter suspension and only playing the 2nd quarter, he should be well rested. I heard rain is a possiblility, so with a slick field I see 25+ carries and 110yrds by Watson as we win a close one 23-21.

Of course this is dependent on us not leaving the ball on the ground and taking the crowd out of the game.

Comment

It's game time Rabbits!!!!!

Go State! ;D

Comment

Stig says key is our offense against there defense. We need to hang onto the ball today and limit turnovers. Special teams also will play big role in outcome.

Comment

Montana returned to the 22 yard line. Completed pass out to the 29. 30 seconds into the game. Hillard for a Montana first down. 37 yard line. Shovel pass for a half yard gain. Hillard for 1 yard gain third down and long.
                  Complete pass to Talmadge for a first down at the to the 48. Hillard loses a foot. 2nd down Hillard for not much gain. Washington throws it away . 4th down and eight kick out of bounds 11:29 to play SDSU ball. 1st and ten from the 31 gain of one yard Kardoes. Kardoes misses on open pass. 3rd and eight. Intercepted and return to SDSU. 43 yard line with 10:00 left in 1st quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                    D shuts them down, Griz have to punt!  Way to go Jacks!  ;D  1st and 10 on the SDSU 20.

Go State!  ;D
                    Hey rabbit how about starting a new thread this one is too long. Start a game day or game thread.

Comment

There's a live video feed that can be located on the Grizzlies' web site so I'm watching the game.

Comment

The announcers have commented "they (the Jacks) like to hit!"

Comment

Long pass...Grizzlies' knocking on the door...on the 5

Comment

Montana 7, SDSU 0

Comment

2:18 to go in the 1st and Jacks moving the ball just fine

Comment

Darn, 4th down and about 6 to go...Bainbridge coming out

Comment

Working...
                                X