Texas State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Texas State

I still think you have a good team that played against three very good teams with 63 scholarships the last three weeks. Good news/bad news about next week matchup. The good news is at least you are facing a team that does not have 63 scholarships. The bad news is they just beat a team with 85. Keep your heads up. You have games coming up with UNC, SUU and Missouri-Rollo. I think you will also have a program building win against GSU and a little pay back to boot. Good luck the rest of the season and kick UCD's butt next week.

Comment

I was at the game last night, Texas St. is the best 1AA team I have seen. They were as good as when they played Texas A&M the week before. Unbelievably fast. and execute to perfection. Yes, we got beat but at least it was to a great team.
      Thanks to all the Texas St. fans, you were great hosts. and also there was a very large Jacks contingent down there 250-300, very nice to see. I hope we see our new TSU friends in Brookings in a couple of years. Our Alumni Assoc. had a pre game tailgate for everyone under a big tent, food, drinks, everything... Great party!!

Comment

Why didn't watson play last night? We have the offensive POY in the conference and we put him in for garbage minutes at the end of the game? Why?

Comment

I'm guessing its just because Koenig is getting the job done. Koenig is averaging about 5 yards a carry in IAA games (Montana, Cal Poly, Tex. St.) while Watson is averaging less than 3.

Comment

Originally posted by ballz
            Why didn't watson play last night?  We have the offensive POY in the conference and we put him in for garbage minutes at the end of the game?  Why?
            There was some talk last week about Watson not hitting the holes with authority like Koenig does. The coaches want Watson to burst into the line rather than dancing around. Koenig's success against some tough defenses suggests that the coaches are onto something there, I think.

Comment

Here are some comments from both coaches

SDSU Coach John Stiegelmeier: "They are very skilled, they understand their system very well ... their guy at the point of attack was just better than ours a lot of the time." Athleticism is an understatement, I don't know if you should say it with capital letters - Texas State is just very athletic. Hats off to the Texas State coach, he's done a good job and will continue to do a good job...he's got a lot of things going for him."

"I told my guys (after the game), get your heads up. That was a good football team. You lost to a good football team."

"We blitzed Nealy on that touchdown run, I think it was a good call...but once he gets in the open field, he's scary."

"You've got to be able to duplicate the emotion, the feeling, the energy you have in the locker room. Against a good, seasoned football team you just can't make mistakes."

Texas State head coach David Bailiff: "We want to be a balanced football team, but we're going to take what teams give us. We were having success running the football and running the option, but we also had some quick-strike in there."

"We go into every game with a goal of being balanced but it could be heavier on the pass one week or heavier on the run another. It depends on what we're having success doing and especially this week with the run in the fourth quarter we just wanted to eat up the clock."

"South Dakota (State's) defense played as hard and with as much passion as anyone's defense we've played all year but it got to a point where we were a little bigger and able to push them around a little."

"We wanted to eliminate stupid penalties and we worked hard at that for the last three weeks. You can guarantee no penalties in every football game but that'll take the aggressiveness out of those guys."

On Jamarqus O'Neal's interception... "That was huge. It was a huge momentum changer. Jamarqus just continues to improve. He's only been here two months but he's already taken great ownership in this university. We're very fortunate that we recruited him and he chose us."

Comment

Here is a link to the Argus story:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...03/1002/SPORTS

Go Jackrabbits! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
                  There was some talk last week about Watson not hitting the holes with authority like Koenig does. The coaches want Watson to burst into the line rather than dancing around. Koenig's success against some tough defenses suggests that the coaches are onto something there, I think.
                  These comments are very close to what Chris Solari said on the Argus Web program on 9-29-05. Apparently Watson was able to cut left and right and make great strides against Valpo and Wiscosin LaCrosse, but with the defenses of Montana and Cal Poly, this would not be possible. Watson would not have gotten those same yards against the most recent opponents. Koenig seem as Ok said following his blocks, hitting the middle and getting the yards. That is why Watson is not playing in my opinion.

Hopefully Watson will come around get more playing time, but its all up to him as a player. Coaches have to do whats best for the team and what will put winning scores on the board.

With after thought I think some of our O line guys are still needing time to develop. No question the talent is there, but not the experience, and I think that explains two FG last night and other drives not being finished.

Not to take anything away from Texas State, I believe they are an excellent team and I was not at the game, but our guys have the potential and the motivation, but some how we are not finishing drives into the end zone. This means as Steve Emming pointed out we traded FG For TD's early in the game and we ended up in the barrell again.

As hard as our guys are trying, I think we will need to recruit smarter in the future. More resources may help but we are playing a level above the NCC. Dont let folks tell you otherwise. Some folks in South Dakota a believe that SDSU is closer to a D2 than D1AA and perhaps they are right, but it should not and will not be that way forever. We all need to help financially with the extra scholarships. It sounds redundant, but very true.

Comment

I was in San Marcos as well as Texas Jack Fan, and will tell you that Texas State has a great chance to win the D-1AA national title this week. When I hear that Montana was #4 and Cal Poly was #12 -- you wonder what "raters" were doing in regards to Texas State. I bet the game against Texas A&M will open some eyes.
                    I continue to believe that a lot of the posters to this board have a very unrealistic view of where we are at in this move to D1-AA. I agree with another poster that we aren't playing run of the mill D1-AA teams, we're playing some of the best and anybody that gets "p-----d" because we aren't winning or doing better at this point has some pretty unrealistic expectations in my view.We just have to keep plugging and I believe the team will do that. Sorry, I've got more faith in these players and believe they are doing their very best right now against some very tough teams. Cal-Davis won't be any easier. DAvis' Jon Grant is as good a quarterback as you are going to see (I saw enough of him last year to know that). And then again, I suppose a win over Stanford of the Pac-10 counts for something!!
                    See you all in Sioux Foo!

Comment

Texas State is the best team I've ever seen play against the Jackrabbits. It was fun (frustrating, but fun) to watch their quarterback. He is a phenomenal athlete.

The difference between SDSU and the other rated teams is speed. There is no substitute for it. It will take us awhile to acquire it.

It was fun to watch the Jackrabbits play in Texas.

Comment

Watching how Watson reacts after being taken out of the game tells me the coaches may be trying to send a message that is less about how he is hitting the hole and more about attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
                          I was at the game last night, Texas St. is the best 1AA team I have seen. They were as good as when they played Texas A&M the week before. Unbelievably fast. and execute to perfection. Yes, we got beat but at least it was to a great team.
                          Thanks to all the Texas St. fans, you were great hosts. and also there was a very large Jacks contingent down there 250-300, very nice to see. I hope we see our new TSU friends in Brookings in a couple of years. Our Alumni Assoc. had a pre game tailgate for everyone under a big tent, food, drinks, everything... Great party!!
                          Thanks for the kind words Texas_Jacks_Fan. We enjoyed having your great fans visit us down in San Marcos. You folks are a class act, and I thought your jacks played with a lot of poise and spirit, despite the tough game. I don’t think any other team in DI-AA has quite as tough a schedule you (especially on the road!), so your win/loss record can’t reflect how good the jacks really are. I look forward to Brookings in a couple of years and wish you all the best against UCD this weekend. Go Jacks!
                          Tux

Comment

Working...
                          X