Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Texas State

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
    really the only thing keeping me from punching my computer is that my Yankees won the AL East today.
    ;D
    We went to a comedy club the other night. The comic had a line, something like:

Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for the house in Vegas.

Yeah! 23! House wins again! Woo-hoo!
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I must be stupid but I thought when behind by a ton you throw the ball. Why change QBs and then hand it off?

Perhaps I need to stop listening and crack open a beer.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Optimism: We (probably) won't give up 63 points tonight.

That's it.

I'm now 0-2 vs. Texas teams today. This morning/afternoon, we went over to Columbia to see the Mizzou Tigers get pasted by the Longhorns. Now this, tonight.

But hey, the Royals won!
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
          I must be stupid but I thought when behind by a ton you throw the ball. Why change QBs and then hand it off?

Perhaps I need to stop listening and crack open a beer.
          I'm three beers ahead of ya. That and Snookums' (frequent) interruptions are making the listening just a little less painful.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
            Optimism:  We (probably) won't give up 63 points tonight.

That's it.

I'm now 0-2 vs. Texas teams today.  This morning/afternoon, we went over to Columbia to see the Mizzou Tigers get pasted by the Longhorns.  Now this, tonight.

But hey, the Royals won!
            Perhaps thats why we are running the ball. Don't want any more time on the clock than necessary allowing the Bobcats to score 60. Given the stat Imming just provided perhaps thats playing a factor. 1st and goal at the 2. Bobcats looking to cross the 40 point mark.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by filbert

I'm three beers ahead of ya.  That and Snookums' (frequent) interruptions are making the listening just a little less painful.
              Make that 2 and I'm about 1/2 way done with my second.

Comment

jackmd,
                i didn't know you were a fellow yanks fan. They are hard to find in these neck of the woods as we are basically the antichrist to all the damn twins fans.

RJ pitched great today, i guess that is why they got him. You are right the playoffs really wouldn't be the playoffs without the yanks, for fans and non yankee fans alike. Plus it is much better than all those years i cheered for the yanks growing up when they were dogpoop. I just feel bad for some of my favorites, Donny Baseball, Rags, etc. who never had a chance. Hopefully they can get mattingly his ring this year.
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Beer . . . what a good idea.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                    jackmd,
                    i didn't know you were a fellow yanks fan.  They are hard to find in these neck of the woods as we are basically the antichrist to all the damn twins fans.

RJ pitched great today, i guess that is why they got him.  You are right the playoffs really wouldn't be the playoffs without the yanks, for fans and non yankee fans alike.  Plus it is much better than all those years i cheered for the yanks growing up when they were dogpoop.  I just feel bad for some of my favorites, Donny Baseball, Rags, etc. who never had a chance.  Hopefully they can get mattingly his ring this year.
                    Donny was my idle growing up in the early 80's watching the Yanks struggle to win 50 games a year really hurt.  Nice to see him in the dugout last night, he looks good. The Steve Howe disaster, Martin and Steinbrenner making asses of themselves.  Thats what makes the last 10-15 years so satisfying for me.  I didn't share in the success of the previous 80 years, only the despair of the 80's.  I still remember a fellow medical student during the 96 series when the Braves when up 2-0 in NY.  He said something like "the Braves will be the Yankees of the next century."  Didn't have much to say after game 6.

As for the Red Sox, hate em.   Couldn't sleep for days after the game 7 loss last year.  God, I hope the Indians win tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                      Beer .  .  . what a good idea.  

Go State!  ;D
                      Some fun facts about beer:

Oktoberfest: Facts, tips and trivia about beer

Fri, Sep 30, 2005

1. Who invented beer and when?

Historians are not entirely sure when, but it is presumed that beer was created accidentally by early nomadic tribes roughly 10,000 years ago.

2. What is beer made of?

The four primary ingredients are malt, hops, yeast and water.

Malt, which gives beer a sweet taste, is made from barley.

Hops are added partly because they taste bitter, helping balance the sweetness of the malt. Hops also serve as a natural preservative, inhibiting the growth of bacteria that can spoil beer.

Yeast is responsible for fermentation, which creates the alcohol and carbonation.

Beer makers sometimes use adjuncts, which are additives or substitutes for malt or hops. Adjuncts such as corn or rice can make a beer lighter-bodied or cheaper to produce. Fruit extracts give a beer a fruity taste.

3. What is the most popular beer, and who makes it?

Budweiser, made by Anheuser-Busch, is the bestselling beer in the world. It is distributed in more than 65 countries. No. 2 is Bud Light, also made by Anheuser-Busch.

4. How much alcohol does beer contain?

Beers range from 2 percent to 6 percent alcohol. Other beverages are more alcoholic. Wine, for example, contains 8 percent to 20 percent alcohol.

5. Does beer offer health benefits?

Not only does beer contain a moderate number of vitamins and minerals necessary for health, but it may also help prevent some problems when consumed in moderation.

Studies have shown that small amounts of alcohol can reduce the risk of heart disease. Beer also contains selenium, a mineral that promotes bone growth and helps reduce the risk of osteoporosis.

6. Can beer give you a beer belly?

Genes determine how fat is deposited, and no food or drink can create fat deposits in specific areas of the body. As with all foods, the more calories you consume, the more likely they are to be stored as fat and cause weight gain. Beer contains no fat and averages 150 calories per serving.

7. What are some of the different types of beer?

Beer comes in many varieties and flavors based on its ingredients and how it is brewed. Here are a few of the most common beer categories.

ALE: Full-body beer that's often darker with fruity or spiced flavors.

ICE: Beer with a high alcohol content due to the filtering of ice crystals after brewing.

LIGHT: Highly carbonated beer that is light in color and body. Contains fewer calories and lower alcohol content.

STOUT: Dark beer with strong malt and caramel flavor. Taste varies depending on variety.

DRY: Crisp, clean beer with a medium-gold color. Leaves little aftertaste.
                      LAGER: Pale golden beer that is made from bottom fermenting yeast. Lagers are carbonated with smooth flavor.
                      DRAFT: Fresh-tasting beer that is normally not pasteurized. Some breweries sell bottled draft beer. Lightly carbonated.
                      8. How do you pour a beer correctly?
                      1. Always pour beer into a clean glass to preserve flavor and create a proper head.

2. Begin pouring slowly. As the glass begins to fill, keep it tilted to prevent beer from splashing in the bottom.

3. As the glass becomes full, straighten the glass to prevent spilling and give a minimal creamy head.
                      9. Does the taste of beer improve with age like that of some wines?

Beer is a food product that will eventually become stale. The amount of time that takes depends on its strength. Beer should be stored in a cool, dark location before consumption.
                      10. Does beer from a bottle taste better than beer from a can?

Most beer drinkers cannot tell the difference. But the color of a bottle can influence the flavor. Brown bottles block out light that reacts with the hops, which could damage the flavor. Green or clear bottles provide little or no protection from light damage.

Draft beer generally offers the best taste. Beer in kegs does not require pasteurization because of its short shelf life. The result is a fresher-tasting beer.
                      11. Where can I find recipes for cooking with beer?

The unique flavors of beer make it a popular ingredient. It can be used in baking or as a marinade on meats. The Beer Institute offers many recipes on its Web site, http://www.beerinstitute.org/ recipes.htm.

Comment

Not trying to hijack the thread (not PC language). Rough game for the Jacks tonight. Really need to bounce back for the UCD game in SF next week. I'm hoping they'll be rusty (we know they'll be rested) coming off the bye-week.

I plan to hit SF Friday night. Staying at the Sheraton. I'll be at the birdcage 10:00 sharp on Saturday. The fellas can't have forgotten the whooping they took in Caly last year. Time to return the favor.

Comment

At least we didn't have a moral victory this week!

Comment

It sure would not hurt to do some recruiting in the state of Texas as football at the high school level is very good and we saw some of those grads tonight push us around. There are more athletes than scholarships in Texas so we should come up with some one who can play football.  Time to regroup.  Cant do much nor do I have to say about this game. : Its over and in the books.

Maybe Hank Hill  the manager of propane at Strickland Propane knows who is available at his alma mater, Arlen High. ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by ballz
                              We haven't had any moral victories, ever. Victory equates winning, we didn't win three weeks in a row.

Yes, I'm very bitter and p!ssed right now, so ballz don't take this as a personal attack.
                              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by ballz
                                Amen to that brother. The plane ride home will be quiet and no doubt they understand what needs to happen. We'll learn all we need to about this team next week. Enough said, I expect to see all of you in SF next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X