Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UC-Davis

Originally posted by jackmd

Exactly the case, in addition, what you could not see on WNAX was some inability to properly read the defensive coverage package (and blitz scheme) and find the proper option.  Understandabley, he looks to Davis too often.

As for the run game, Stig came out in an I with a single tight and either splits or twins (usually right).  The O-line provided excellent holes for Koenig and he hit them full-steam.  By the time the DB's or backside LB hit him Koening had enough steam to shake the first tackle.  UCD made adjustments at half-time and stacked the line making the passing game even more accessible, Kardoes could not get it done.

Some success in 2nd half running outside with Watson and Kardoes but Stig didn't seem to stick with it.  Kept calling this odd draw where kardoes would take the snap and fake an inside handoff then follow the RB.  I don't think we ever gained a yard with that one.

As far as the D, needs to be stronger on 1st down.  The DE's really blew contain mutiple times.  If they hold backside containe Grant gets sacked a few more times.
    Maybe we will see a bit of Burkhardt on Hobo Days to either give Kardoes more healing time or to give him a good look. They must have the offense built around Kardoes' legs and not his arm and are reluctant to change the offense.

I thought they gained 3 or 4 once on that play and only saw it 2 or 3 times.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Stig has much to do with the play calling. I think he leaves that all up to the OC.

Comment

Andy was getting some time to throw and just is not hitting his receivers. Seems to be locking in on Davis too much. I don't think anyone can question his toughness but think his bad ankle is preventing him from pushing off and getting anything behind his passes.I like the threat of having Koenig and Watson in the same backfield in the I. Watson can deliver a pretting punishing block.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99

Maybe we will see a bit of Burkhardt on Hobo Days to either give Kardoes more healing time or to give him a good look.  
        I think Berry might be second in line. As I recall, Stig said Berry might have started against Davis if Kardoes couldn't have gone. Anybody else recall that? Or is it my wishful thinking? (Berry looks like a nice prospect to me.)

We need a passing game, even if it isn't our first option. Davis packed the interior and stuffed the run in the second half Saturday. Their safeties played about six yards off the line of scrimmage and the linebackers were right on the line. If we had a passing game, particularly a deep passing game, we might have had some success. We're just not getting much out of the quarterback position. Thank heavens for Cory Koenig and the offensive line or we would have no offense to speak of.

I doubt it would happen, but next year I'd like to see Kardoes play some at the wide receiver position. He's big and strong and athletic, kind of like those Cal Poly receivers who wrestled the ball away from our D-backs a couple of times a few weeks back. I think he'd be a monster on the outside. Nobody questions the kid's ability or toughness. But maybe he's not the right guy at QB.

That said, I thought that (the interception and some off-target passes notwithstanding) the first half against Davis was Kardoes' best half this year. He made a couple of nice runs, completed a couple of timely short passes and generally didn't hurt us too much.

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
          That said, I thought that (the interception and some off-target passes notwithstanding) the first half against Davis was Kardoes' best half this year. He made a couple of nice runs, completed a couple of timely short passes and generally didn't hurt us too much.
          Kardoes was 10/22 for 82 yards in a game where UCD had 9 guys in the box the whole second half. "Didn't hurt us too much" isn't going to beat GSU at home or NDSU on the road. Kardoes must play better or someone else must play.

Our defense spent about 25 minutes on the field in the second half. No D can be expected to hold up to that.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
            "generally didn't hurt us too much." Kardoes must play better or someone else must play.
            I was using some subtle sarcasm there. Too subtle. I was going to say that he did a fantaastic job of handing the ball to Koenig, but that seemed kind of mean. I agree that we need more from the QB position.

Comment

I was at the game Saturday with a friend of mine who is getting recruited by the Jacks. He said SDSU, NDSU, USD and Wyoming were some of the schools that have been talking to him. I don't know why USD would be considered out of those schools but that's just me. He seemed to like what he saw from the Jacks.

Comment

Does anybody reallize that as good as our running game is, that we are NOT a powerhouse as the Nebraska rushing attack once was...meaning that if we cannot (and believe me, Kardoes cannot) pass the ball effectively, a quality team will see that a mile away and will tee off on our running game. Once they have that in control they will be making us beat them with the pass. That would be ok except that there is no way on earth that we can do that with Kardoes at the helm.
                I can admit I get worked up a bit easily over this, and just want to say Kudos to Kardoes for playing with his ankle injury. However, I must point out that is what I said several weeks ago would happen. We could have beaten Cal Poly if we could have shown a dual threat. We have good receivers, very good ones. It does no good if we cannot get the ball to them and with accuracy. When was the last time a pass was completed that was in the air for more than 15 yards? We have guys who have barely got to play yet (JaRon Harris, for one) that could stretch the field against any competition that makes no sense to play until we have a QB that is capable of getting him the ball, IN STRIDE. What do I know, though? :

Comment

Originally posted by jharrisfan
                  I can admit I get worked up a bit easily over this, and just want to say Kudos to Kardoes for playing with his ankle injury. However, I must point out that is what I said several weeks ago would happen. We  could have beaten Cal Poly if we could have shown a dual threat. We have good receivers, very good ones. It does no good if we cannot get the ball to them and with accuracy. When was the last time a pass was completed that was in the air for more than 15 yards? We have guys who have barely got to play yet (JaRon Harris, for one) that could stretch the field against any competition that makes no sense to play until we have a QB that is capable of getting him the ball, IN STRIDE. What do I know, though? :
                  At this point in the season it's hard to argue that our passing game has been anything but a dissapointment. We've been spoiled to a certain extent because SDSU has had a good to great QB at the helm since Daly arrived. Now that we are stuck with a great athlete, but questionable QB we don't know how to handle it.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I guess i noticed last week that on many plays kardoes ran the ball with his high ankel sprain. He is a tough player . my question is why run if he is the best qb we have.are the other qb that bad we make an injured player run the ball. i guess i am at a loss . The jacks were spanking the aggies until they realized there was no long ball happening. GREAT GAME JACKS .way to play the whole game they have played all 4 quarters tough .

Comment

Working...
                    X