Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UC-Davis

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan
    Most of those 12-14k that someone was hoping for were down in Vermillion watching South Dakota's team.  9,500 not a bad turnout.  USD's attendance has really spiked this season.  The average is probably close to 7,500-8,000 this year which isn't bad for a D2 team.  Since SDSU has gone D1 I would venture to guess that USD's average attendance has gone up more than SDSU's.  It just shows that good football is good football whether D2 or D1AA.    

Never the less nice win over UC Davis.  Sounded like a low scoring game.  
    USD will have a good year, so good luck to them, but really how many of your 9500 were there to actually there see their kids in HS Band, etc.. and just happen to watch the game ? Plus if you would have lost to UNO would there have been as big of crowd ? Most likely not, but keep winning and things will go well for the U.

Also I have noticed a huge increase in advertisements and marketing for Augie and USD. I think that is a direct reflection of what SDSU is doing. So in that matter SDSU is the leader and basically indirectly effects what all other Universities and Colleges in the State are doing.

I am south of SF and live and work with mostly USD people. Most are very respectful and supportive of SDSU, they are all quite impressed with the schedules State is lining up. As SDSU builds their DI program the following will grow. This was a good crown for first SF game with so much going on. A lot of people though UCD was going to roll over State, so was a huge game in respect from a local level. PLUS think about it, this is a basketball state.

All Schools - Good Luck, let's represent SD on levels of Competition year in and year out.
    - SDSU will roll on the at the DI level
    - USD, AUG, NSU will represent the State well at DII level
    - USF, BHSU, DWU, DSU, Mount Marty, SD Tech, National College, Presentation College will represent the state at the NAIA levels.

University of Sioux Falls may go to NCAA DII or III in a couple years, I think maybe they are the only school that should move. All others need to stay where they are at. DIII maybe a better choice for USF.

Comment

The next BIG game is in three weeks as Georgia Southern travels to Brookings, South Dakota to face the Jackrabbits. Bring you coats cause winter has arrived in the Northern Plains.

Comment

I'm disappointed with the attendance number, especially with the game being in SF. But great win.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDak

I took two neighbors, one arrived here in 1995 from Orange County, CA , the other from Ohio in 1989, to the game.  Neither had ever been to a SDSU athletic function in their lives.  We had a blast, and have already made plans to go see the Georgia Southern game later in the season, as well as the Manhatten BB game this winter.  I saw a LOT of old familiar faces at the game.  I think it was a great idea, having a game down here, to help some alumni reconnect with the school.  
          SoDak

Thats great that these two fans attended and had a blast.  Maybe that is how we get our long term fans is through word of mouth and friendships. A loyal alum should and must promote his alma mater whenever and whereever he/she can. Good job, SoDak.

I think its going to take awhile to find fans that are not alums and have no connection whats so ever with SDSU.

There are no doubt SF alums who never bother to jump in the car and ride to Brookings for an event. By having  a game or two in SF, we can not go wrong. Reconnections are made by doing so.

Comment

USD had a big turn out for D Days and I hope they were not callling it a sellout, it is a give out. They give away as many tickets and they sell. Please I would rather drive two hours to Brookings and pay to see the Jacks than drive 30 miles and have a ticket given to me.

Comment

Here is the game coverage from the Davis Enterprise:

http://www.davisenterprise.com/artic...es/083spt1.txt

http://www.davisenterprise.com/artic...es/083spt5.txt

http://www.davisenterprise.com/artic...es/083spt6.txt

Comment

Thoughts on the game

I was in attendance for the SDSU game Saturday, and I'd thought I'd give my thoughts (both negative and positive). I'm a huge football fan, but unfortunately my first SDSU game in a few years.....

* Crowd attendance was very good for the game. Those on this board that thought the game would be a sell-out were really dreaming. Even O'Gorman vs Roosevelt for the Dakota Bowl doesn't even sell out Howard Wood anymore. Oh, and Howard Wood is complete dump besides the bathrooms. Bring your earplugs!

* SDSU's punt returner needs to learn to let them go. The only thing he could have done on the last two returns was fumble. I about had a coronary each time he picked that ball up..

* I'm not sure if it is this way in Brookings, but I think it is absolutely PATHETIC that the crowd gives The Pride a larger, louder ovation after they get done playing at halftime than the football team gets all game. Let's set our priorities here folks!

* The non call on the endzone pass interference in the first half on SDSU's receiver was one of the worst non-calls I have seen in a long time. The kid was getting tackled before the ball was even close to being there. Thank goodness that non-call did not affect the outcome.

* So many positives for SDSU's team this game there are too many to list, but fantastic job by the defense. This was a huge win for our program. I had a great time at the game, and so did the 5 other non-SDSU grads I brought with me.

Comment

tk22867:

Thanks for your comments and would agree with most. I do think the HPER staff is happy with the 7300 number for attendance. I think the posters who predicated 12k were doing what car salemen do daily and thats called "puffing". Making it bigger than it is in reality.

I noticed in your avatar that you bleed blue and gold. If that is meant to represent SDSU offical colors, it should be yellow and blue. Its not a big deal, but i kringe when some one says blue and gold in reference to SDSU especially when one of the school songs is titled SDSU hurrah for the yellow and blue.

Comment

Re: Thoughts on the game

Originally posted by TK22867
                    I was in attendance for the SDSU game Saturday, and I'd thought I'd give my thoughts (both negative and positive).  I'm a huge football fan, but unfortunately my first SDSU game in a few years.....

*  Crowd attendance was very good for the game.  Those on this board that thought the game would be a sell-out were really dreaming.  Even O'Gorman vs Roosevelt for the Dakota Bowl doesn't even sell out Howard Wood anymore.  Oh, and Howard Wood is complete dump besides the bathrooms.  Bring your earplugs!

*  SDSU's punt returner needs to learn to let them go.  The only thing he could have done on the last two returns was fumble.  I about had a coronary each time he picked that ball up..

*  I'm not sure if it is this way in Brookings, but I think it is absolutely PATHETIC that the crowd gives The Pride a larger, louder ovation after they get done playing at halftime than the football team gets all game.  Let's set our priorities here folks!

*  The non call on the endzone pass interference in the first half on SDSU's receiver was one of the worst non-calls I have seen in a long time.  The kid was getting tackled before the ball was even close to being there.  Thank goodness that non-call did not affect the outcome.

*  So many positives for SDSU's team this game there are too many to list, but fantastic job by the defense.  This was a huge win for our program.  I had a great time at the game, and so did the 5 other non-SDSU grads I brought with me.
                    Couldn't agree more about the non-call. However get used to it if you are coming to more Jacks football games. We get one every week. Same situation against Poly and lost a TD there as well.

The punt returner, Paul Aanonson, should probably have let them go, but they (I think Dusty Snyders returns as well) have done a good job in those situations, but I agree and think those were a bit too close to at least not fair catch. It does happen fast and have no idea what it would be like to make a decision that quickly. I would point the finger at our blocking first though.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                      tk22867:

Thanks for your comments and would agree with most. I do think the HPER staff is happy with the 7300 number for attendance. I think the posters who predicated 12k were doing what car salemen do daily and thats called "puffing".  Making it bigger than it is in reality.

I noticed in your avatar that you bleed blue and gold. If that is meant to represent SDSU offical colors, it should be yellow and blue.  Its not a big deal, but i kringe  when some one says blue and gold in reference to SDSU especially when one of the school songs is titled SDSU hurrah for the yellow and blue.
                      Oops. My BIG bad. I banged my head on my desk a few times for that one.

Comment

Don't have a lot of time to post this AM.

Went to the game, great win.

First half: The O-line dominated the line of scrimmage the first half. Our RB's rarely got touched until they were into they were well across the LOS. Passing game was adequate given out dominant run game. SDSU could not get a call. Their special teams played poorly.

Second half: They made the adjustments and shut down our run game. Our response, attempt to pass. No execution from Kardoes. Often not recognizing who was open and then when he did throw, throwing inaccurately. Not ripping the kid just making an observation. Fortunately the wind and Parker's great leg allowed us to put enough points on the board.

UCD made some bad decisions and plays at the end of the game allowing the Jacks to seal the deal. Why onside kick? I would have kicked it deep, stopped the Jacks in 3 plays (they had all second half) and forced a punt into the wind from the 15 yard line. No need to rush the punter then, and no roughing penalty allowing a 1st down and ending the game.

Summary, great win but a lot of things happened right to allow it. Very proud to be a Jacks fan in S.F. Friday and Saturday night. QB play remains the major weakness for this team and I suspect it may prevent us from reaching our full potential this year and maybe next.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

TK

No problem, I am glad you brought 5 non alums to the game. I am not on the HPER staff, but I do contribute to the JC and want to see our following grow particularily in SF. The SF alums need to help out here by bringing friends, relatives and neighbors. If you are in business, a good way to reward a generous customer would be a ticket to an SDSU event such as the one last Saturday.

Comment

Well I never thought this day would come so quickly. My boss is a graduate of Washington St., which just lost to Stanford in football. Stanford lost to UC Davis and now SDSU just beat UC Davis. Oh, it is good to be a Rabbit today.

I just hope Stanford keeps winning games this year, like beating Cal. That would really make my day.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                              Don't have a lot of time to post this AM.

Went to the game, great win.

First half:  The O-line dominated the line of scrimmage the first half.  Our RB's rarely got touched until they were into they were well across the LOS.  Passing game was adequate given out dominant run game.  SDSU could not get a call.  Their special teams played poorly.

Second half:  They made the adjustments and shut down our run game.  Our response, attempt to pass.  No execution from Kardoes.  Often not recognizing who was open and then when he did throw, throwing inaccurately.  Not ripping the kid just making an observation.  Fortunately the wind and Parker's great leg allowed us to put enough points on the board.

UCD made some bad decisions and plays at the end of the game allowing the Jacks to seal the deal.  Why onside kick?  I would have kicked it deep, stopped the Jacks in 3 plays (they had all second half) and forced a punt into the wind from the 15 yard line.  No need to rush the punter then, and no roughing penalty allowing a 1st down and ending the game.

Summary, great win but a lot of things happened right to allow it.  Very proud to be a Jacks fan in S.F. Friday and Saturday night.  QB play remains the major weakness for this team and I suspect it may prevent us from reaching our full potential this year and maybe next.
                              Just from listening to the WNAX feed (which was very stressful during the 4th down conversions and 2 point conversion of the 4th quarter) it appeared that Kardoes was inaccurate on a lot of his throws. More than once it was noted that the receiver was wide open, but Kardoes couldn't get him the ball on target.
                              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum

Just from listening to the WNAX feed (which was very stressful during the 4th down conversions and 2 point conversion of the 4th quarter) it appeared that Kardoes was inaccurate on a lot of his throws.  More than once it was noted that the receiver was wide open, but Kardoes couldn't get him the ball on target.
                                Exactly the case, in addition, what you could not see on WNAX was some inability to properly read the defensive coverage package (and blitz scheme) and find the proper option. Understandabley, he looks to Davis too often.

As for the run game, Stig came out in an I with a single tight and either splits or twins (usually right). The O-line provided excellent holes for Koenig and he hit them full-steam. By the time the DB's or backside LB hit him Koening had enough steam to shake the first tackle. UCD made adjustments at half-time and stacked the line making the passing game even more accessible, Kardoes could not get it done.

Some success in 2nd half running outside with Watson and Kardoes but Stig didn't seem to stick with it. Kept calling this odd draw where kardoes would take the snap and fake an inside handoff then follow the RB. I don't think we ever gained a yard with that one.

As far as the D, needs to be stronger on 1st down. The DE's really blew contain mutiple times. If they hold backside containe Grant gets sacked a few more times.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X