2006 schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2006 schedule

That's dissapointing if we could only offer 1 DI-AA game for the area. Granted, UCA is in transition as well, but it's their first year.

Comment

The GWFC needs to act like a real conference and get all of the member's conference schedules balanced.

It is ridiculous to make SDSU play three away conference games and one home conference game. That means that someone is playing three home conference games--if they're any good at all you're basically handing the conference championship to them.

Hopefully the SDSU football team will be the road warriors we've seen glimpses of the past couple of years.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Actually, the schedule was balanced when UNC was part of it. We would have had 2 home and 3 away this year.

I have heard rumblings that there are ongoing negotiations to get some schools added to the GWFC. I think there are a few non-football schools that are looking at adding (in Utah maybe?).

I'm sure there will be a balanced schedule again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
          The GWFC needs to act like a real conference and get all of the member's conference schedules balanced.

It is ridiculous to make SDSU play three away conference games and one home conference game.  That means that someone is playing three home conference games--if they're any good at all you're basically handing the conference championship to them.
          Hopefully the SDSU football team will be the road warriors we've seen glimpses of the past couple of years.
          JackTwice is correct. The conference was trying to correct the balance of home and away conference games. They were out of balance because the first year everyone was just trying to get everyone on the schedule. Unfortunately they did the corrections when UNC was still part of the conference. It will work itself out soon enough.

Comment

I noticed in the star tribune that the gophers will be playing Montana State next year for $650,000. Hopefully, within a couple of years we will be able to rake in that kind of cash.

also included in the article was this:

Minneapolis heavyweight Joey Abell will fight in Philadelphia on Friday. Abell (3-0, with three knockouts) will fight undefeated Dan Jambor (5-0-1).

heres a link to the article, it is Sid Hartman's.
            http://www.startribune.com/507/story/234879.html

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell
              I noticed in the star tribune that the gophers will be playing Montana State next year for $650,000. Hopefully, within a couple of years we will be able to rake in that kind of cash.

also included in the article was this:

Minneapolis heavyweight Joey Abell will fight in Philadelphia on Friday. Abell (3-0, with three knockouts) will fight undefeated Dan Jambor (5-0-1).

heres a link to the article, it is Sid Hartman's.
              http://www.startribune.com/507/story/234879.html
              It's Iowa, not Minnesota, that's paying Montana (Not Montana State- Sid, as usual, doesn't have the story straight) $650k.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonguy

It's Iowa, not Minnesota, that's paying Montana (Not Montana State- Sid, as usual, doesn't have the story straight) $650k.
                Sid is 85 years old and we need to cut him some slack.  No excuse for the tribune editors who are too big a whimps to tell Sid he's just too damn old to keep this up.  As for the Argus and Stu, what can you say?
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

If there is one thing I have learned here at State, you must document your sources. In Sid's case it is hard to give any credibility to, "I have heard from a close, personal friend of mine"...

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

Sid is 85 years old and we need to cut him some slack.  No excuse for the tribune editors who are too big a whimps to tell Sid he's just too damn old to keep this up.  As for the Argus and Stu, what can you say?
                    The difference is that Stu is 15. He could learn a great deal from Sid.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

The difference is that Stu is 15. He could learn a great deal from Sid.
                      Sid Hartman is an ethical train wreck. He has been disciplined by his own newspaper in the past for promoting events he has a personal stake in. The public editor of that newspaper has seen fit to write entire columns about Hartman's ethical problems.

The guy isn't even a journalist. He's P.T. Barnum or Ivy Lee.

There is no comparison. But in your world, SDSUFAN, a columnist who promotes a university, writes about his pals, writes about events he has a stake in IS a model journalist. And a journalist who spends time educating students at your university but doesn't promote your university sufficiently for you is a "jerk".

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
                        Sid Hartman is an ethical train wreck. He has been disciplined by his own newspaper in the past for promoting events he has a personal stake in. The public editor of that newspaper has seen fit to write entire columns about Hartman's ethical problems.

The guy isn't even a journalist. He's P.T. Barnum or Ivy Lee.

There is no comparison. But in your world, SDSUFAN, a columnist who promotes a university, writes about his pals, writes about events he has a stake in IS a model journalist. And a journalist who spends time educating students at your university but doesn't promote your university sufficiently for you is a "jerk".
                        Okay you are the one that would know. . My opinion of your buddy Stu remains the same. ;D

Comment

"Sid Hartman is an ethical train wreck. He has been disciplined by his own newspaper in the past for promoting events he has a personal stake in. The public editor of that newspaper has seen fit to write entire columns about Hartman's ethical problems.

The guy isn't even a journalist. He's P.T. Barnum or Ivy Lee."

Sid Hartman is a journalist - give me a break. He just happens to write for the biggest paper in Minnesota and has a talk show on the biggest radio station in Minnesota. Sure he is a Gopher backer, but unethical? I presume you are referring to the roast the University of Minnesota threw for him with the proceeds going to the U of M. The money is being held in escrow until he retires, then the UM will receive it. In addition, the "public editor" you are referring to is Katie Perry who is a moron. She is a member of the public who writes what she thinks should be done at the paper.

By the way, all the close, personal friends Sid quotes showed up at his roast including Lou Holtz, George Steinbrenner and Bob Knight.

Comment

For me Sid is about entertainment. I don't consider anything he writes or says journalistic. There may be a generation of people who feel otherwise and they are certainly entitled to that.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Wasn't this thread about our 2006 schedule? ???

What do Sid and Stu have to do with our schedule? ??? ???

When Southern was added to our 2004 schedule, I thought they were to make a trip to Brookings, or am I confusing them with Georgia Southern?

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFallsJack
                                Wasn't this thread about our 2006 schedule?  ???

What do Sid and Stu have to do with our schedule?  ??? ???

When Southern was added to our 2004 schedule, I thought they were to make a trip to Brookings, or am I confusing them with Georgia Southern?
                                Good questions. To get back on track, I thought I saw something where Gene Taylor AD NDSU was trying to now switch the NDSU-SDSU to mid October to fill a date on their schedule. Not a bad Idea.

Yes thats what I recall about Southern too, they were suppose to come our way, but nothing as happen that I am aware of.

Comment

Working...
                                X