2006 Jackrabbit 2 deep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2006 Jackrabbit 2 deep

Offense - Last season the Jacks offense was explosive averaging 33 points a game (18th nationally) and leading the Great West in offense at 386 yards per game. (40th nationally). And those numbers were all driven by a tremendous rushing game, which put up 227 yards per game, which was 16th in the nation. The great news for Jacks fans is both backs which helped to provide that explosiveness are back in Anthony Watson and Cory Koenig. Each guy averaged over 80 yards per games. While James Noble, and Kyle Steffes may get most of the Great West running headlines it's because these guys split carries. Both backs are capable of leading the Great West in rushing, but Jacks head coach John Stiegelemeier's job is to make sure both backs get plenty of touches. Last season Watson returned as the starter having surpassed the 1000 yard mark as a sophomore. After a slow start last season, however, Watson lost his starting job to Koenig. Watson is more of the speed guy, while Koenig offers more hit the hole power and their combination in the backfield makes them one of the best running duo's nationally. While Watson should have regained his starting role come week one, both will see plenty of time and need to put up big numbers for this team to rack up wins. The area that needs to see improvement is the passing game, something which fans have already started debating as to who will start this season at quarterback. Last year's starter Andy Kardoes returns but is coming back from surgery in the off-season. Kardoes (73-158, 851 yards, 6 td's) had a 2005 season he'd like to put behind him. The senior struggled with nagging injuries, completed less than 50% of his passes, and threw more interceptions (8) than touchdowns. Ending the year with surgery was less than ideal as well, but it did give the Jacks the chance to develop some of their youth, namely Ryan Berry. Berry started two games last season and performed well throwing 7 touchdowns in 89 attempts while completing nearly 60% of his passes. Controversy heading into the season? Sure, there is some debate in Brookings who the guy will be under center. But for now, Kardoes, who took some reps in spring, is 100% healthy and ready to lead the Jacks into battle. Without a doubt the mobile, strong armed senior is Coach Stig's guy come September 2nd. Berry will be #2 but has to be ready because if Kardoes continues to struggle with his accuracy, he'll be pressed into duty. This battle will be one closely followed by Jacks fans as the season gets underway. The guys that the quarterbacks will be looking to throw the ball are less experienced than the Jacks have seen in three seasons mainly because of the graduation of Josh Davis and Chris Molitor. This area is fairly untested as the top returning receiver, Dusty Snyder, has 17 career catches. While Snyder will start at one spot, Micah Johnson (13 catches, 117 yds) will grab another. Chris Doblar will grab the third starting spot, but keep an eye on Mike Steffen, and JarRon Harris who will both play significant roles as the Jacks spread the ball around to compensate for big losses from a season ago. Both are extremely athletic and Harris' hands and tremendous speed will be huge assets to this area of the offense. Three tight ends, Chris Wagner, Luke Greving, and Dan Dykehouse, return having all played in 10 games last season and provide solid blocking skills to help boost the line play as well as big targets in the red-zone. As for the rest of the blockers, the question along the line is at the guard spots, which both saw graduations. Center Mark Oeklers and left tackle Preston Crumly return, but the group is led by all-conference performer Mitch Erickson, who will likely play at the next level. He and UCD's Eliot Vallejo are not only two of the best tackles in the Great West but all of college football. Interesting piece is Erickson is likely shifting to guard this fall, a move which should strengthen the line. This way the Jacks can get their five best talents along the line as Scott Gillen will start at Erickson's right tackle spot. The Jacks coaches are awfully high on Gillen and expect big things from him this fall. A final mention needs to be made of the Jacks kicker, Parker Douglass, who with another strong season should be considered for All-American honors. Douglass has a huge leg and can hit from 50+ with consistency. I see Douglass as I-AA's equivalent to Mason Crosby at Colorado - he's that good. The offense is powerful, the special teams are dangerous, but the losses at wide receiver can't be underestimated. Answer those questions early and this offense can put up some seriously aggressive numbers.

I expect Koenig to start 1st game at RB and then see where it goes. I also think we'll see a lot of Casey Knips at Tackle with him and Gillen battling it out during fall camp. I guess I got the wrong Tackle to move down to Guard. I am guessing it is for Mitch's future beyond I-AA football (mutch like keiser last year).

Comment

Defense - The Jacks lost a number of key contributors on defense last year and return just five full time starters from '05. And considering that South Dakota State gave up nearly 350 yards per game a year ago replacing that many starters is concerning. However, with every downside there is upside. And while some of the kids stepping in will be new and somewhat inexperienced, the defense that steps on the field this season should be much more athletic and quicker than the 2005 version. That group starts with the defensive line. Gabe Koenigsfeld is the biggest loss along the line but the Jacks have enough experience to combat that with returning starters Mitch Pontrelli (NT) and Jason Nobling (DE). Those two combined for 95 tackles and 8.5 for loss and their production should only increase this season with another year under their belts. That's true especially because both were freshman last season. The other end spot will be nabbed by senior Marcus Suhn, who returns after an injury plagued season a year ago. Still, he was able to play in eight games and rack up 14 tackles. Jason Bonwell, a junior college all-American last season, will provide solid depth at end behind Suhn. Eric Schroeder will start at the defensive tackle spot after contributing 34 tackles, including seven for loss. At linebackers, just one starter returns but in terms of experience that's somewhat misleading. Marty Kranz, who will step in mike linebacker for Billy Ray Kirch, has been a major contributor his entire career. He's started 11 games as a freshman and has contributed 152 tackles over the past three seasons. Kranz may not be a returning starter but his experience has to be comforting to the Jacks coaching staff in solidifying the line-backing spots. Along with Kranz, Andre Hoogeveen returns as a starter at outside linebacker. The junior made a great transition from defensive back to linebacker last season in finishing second on the team in tackles with 63 along with two interceptions. The final spot at will linebacker will go to Justin Kubesh, who played in 10 games last season and finished with 29 tackles. I like the Jacks starting group who should gel nicely once Kubesh get a couple starts under his belt, but there are certainly still questions about the depth at backer as the 2nd group is composed entirely of red-shirt freshman. And while the depth at linebacker is a concern, the defensive backfield is the biggest area of worry for the Jacks heading into the season. SDSU lost a lot of talent from that group and looks to guys who don't carry a ton of experience to step in and take over. Gone is lockdown corner Hank McCall, as well Mitch Klein, James Epps, and John Perry who accounted for the majority of playing time at safety. The only starter back is corner Jeff Hegge (54 tackles), who does return as a three year starter but also moves to free safety. But replacing McCall is no easy task, especially considering the two main backups are graduated as well. The guys with the tall task of stepping in are Brock Gentile and Tyler Koch, who combined for 25 tackles last season. Joseph Blackman (RS Fr.) and Justin Horn (Soph.) are also in the mix for playing time at corner. At safety, Scott Breyfogle (strong safety) will join Hegge, and does so with just 20 tackles and one interception under his belt. The depth in secondary will come from two players, Nash Simet (RB, now #2 at Strong) and Brock Campbell (WR, now #2 at Free), who moved over from offense in the spring. Teams will certainly challenge this group early to try to exploit the inexperience and the Jacks can't afford much time for to mature as Montana comes knocking in week two. Just like last season, the Jacks are the X-factor in the Great West - they are boasting impressive talent in key spots on offense but also have more questions than some of the other conference teams. Unless the defense matures (specifically the secondary) with rapid speed and a much stronger passing game develops, they aren't likely to steal the conference title. But this team has enough talent to slide up the conference race into the 2nd or 3rd spot and they'll probably knock one of the top three teams off just like they did last season.
      I truly don't believe that the defense will quite look this way.
      I would expect more of Jimmy Rogers at SS rather than Breyfogle or Simet.
      At corner fall camp will see a battle with Blackman and Gouch challenging Koch and Gentile for the corner spot. I bet at least one of the two newcomers ends up starting.
      And there is no way that Bonwell doesn't start over Suhn

Comment

When quoting articles from other sites, please provide links back to the original articles. (This would also make unnecessary the cutting and pasting of entire sections of the articles).

The least we can do is drive some clicks towards those other sites (you're quoting the GWFC site, right JackTwice?) that are creating content about SDSU athletics.

Thanks.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Koenig may very well start.

All the other info is 100% up the minute (as of last week) in terms of info I was given re: starters and backups. I asked specifically about Bonwell and was told he would back Suhn. We'll see if that changes during camp.

Comment

Thanks for the update.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Keep up the good work Chris...really enjoy your updates. But I agree with JackTwice. I believe Bonwell will start ahead of Suhn, don't know if he has fully recovered from off season shoulder surgury.

Go Jacks !!!!!!
              http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Great - and if you guys hear any different, please keep me updated. I cant wait for the season to start!!!

Comment

Chris - Let me start by saying I wasn't intending to take a shot at your analysis. I believe you are spot on with your opionion of this team. I have the opportunity to talk with a guy who has some pretty first hand knowledge of the team. My info is a tiny bit different than yours so I thought I would add what I have heard.

In the end we will all know the 2 deep on the 2nd of September

Keep up the good work and Go Jacks!

Comment

JackTwice - Totally understand you were not taking a shot. Was just updating what I heard and know. Plus I am sure things will be changing over the next couple weeks so as you guys know, pls keep me up to date to - makes my life easier when I write the columns.

Can't wait for the 2nd!!

Comment

Working...
                    X