Coaching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaching

[quote][Also I think the Bison coaching staff were better prepared for this game./quote]
    I had not yet had an opportunity to read or comment on this thread. I heard the same sentiments from several in attendance today at the UNC game in reference to the NDSU game. Stig sucks. Plain and simple. Another 6-5 season, a blown, BLOWN chance at a conference title, all because of lack of preparation? Any of you players out there, is that really the case? (He cannot hurt you here, HA).
    It is that we could have and should have won games that we did not. Trick plays instead of FG at Montana? Cal Poly on the ropes, but we wouldn't play anybody but a severly ONE-DIMENSIONAL QB, run only, that is. Then the NDSU mess. Like to admit it or not, good coaches find a way to get it DONE. We do not have that type of coach, for whatever reason. And then people wonder why the stands are not filled. Oines heard it today, Not just me, but many. Do something about it. I love Football, and I love going to Jackrabbit games. However, many fans only hear about wins, and as a job performance issue, is that not the standard by which ANY coach ultimately should be judged? SDSU claims to be going places. Great. Let us see the progress on the field. What kind of a dumb*%@ calls three consecutive pass plays that are not completed with about 1 minute left in the half and then gives the ball back to the other team (blocked punt to add insult to injury) while LEADING the game. We did not even make one run to make them use timeouts or give us more room. Just one example from TODAY of POOR coaching.

Re: Coaching

Sorry for rambling, but I forgot, what Division III credentials or thereabouts do all of our coaches have? Not to say guys from small schools can't get it done, but one would have to wonder if we have outgrown our staff and need to move up the ladder. Performance-wise I think it is clear.

Comment

Is there a point where 6-5 seasons aren't enough any more?

SDSU is on the record as wanting to be a place where the experience for the student athlete is the most important thing.

It's an awful hard thing to call for the job of a winning coach because he "isn't winning enough." Two things can happen if you run off a coach--the program goes up, or the program goes down. What do we gain, and what might we lose if we change coaching staffs now?

I say wait until we're done building up the scholarships and let's see where we are then.

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I agree with you all. I have expressed my opinion on this matter before. I personally have flet like the program has taken a step back since coach Daly left. With him I felt we were moving forward, with coach Stig I felt like we returned to the days when getting above .500, winning a Hobo Day or two, and being a nice guy will let you keep your job.
        I like Stig, but it is about wins, losses, and putting butts in the seats. Many other have expressed it and I agree, every home weekend needs to feel like Hobo Day.
        Just ran across this from 89rabbit a bit ago, have we seen improvement in wins and losses? with the exception of a FEW games, have we seen more 'butts in the seats'? We HAVE seen some exciting football, that is for sure. But most of the credit there would have to go to the players on the field.
          Is being a nice guy really enough? At what price, who pays for being nice?

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
          Is there a point where 6-5 seasons aren't enough any more?

SDSU is on the record as wanting to be a place where the experience for the student athlete is the most important thing.  

It's an awful hard thing to call for the job of a winning coach because he "isn't winning enough."   Two things can happen if you run off a coach--the program goes up, or the program goes down.  What do we gain, and what might we lose if we change coaching staffs now?

I say wait until we're done building up the scholarships and let's see where we are then.
          I agree with you that there is always uncertainty about what a coaching change may bring in terms of sucess or not. However, isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again in the same manner, but expecting different results? You have to be willing to risk sometimes to gain.
          I think, is it 11 years???, I think
          that is long enough to have proven weather he was the right man for the job. Quite frankly, I am amazed He has kept his job that long. What was the excuse for mediocrity at the DII level. Yes there was competition, but we had the same opportunities everyone else did, did we not? Same thing, year after year, after year. How long must we continue before those of you who know it to be true will admit it? IT IS TIME FOR CHANGE!

Comment

One more thing, is a 6-5 record really winning? I mean, what did we win? We had a chance to win, but as usual we did not win ANYTHING that was available to us to win. I realize that sounds harsh, but that is the same thing he no doubt uses as an excuse to continue the cycle...I had a 'winning' record last year. Evidently that matters a lot to all the people who won't come out to support the games, too. Cold was no excuse. Has to be something else.
            :-/

Comment

I think we we're at 42 scholarships this year, Montana, Texas St., Cal-Poly, Georgia Southern, and maybe NDSU all have 63. I think its remarkable that we competed as well as we did. Every team we lost to will end the year in the 1AA top 20. We did more with less than anyone in the country. I agree with filbert, lets get the schollies up to a level playing field and see what happens. The only advice I could offer is to round out the schedule a little more. Lets get rid of the D3 and Non scholarship teams. and not load up on the Top 10 powerhouses week in and week out. I am really not that dissapointed with our season considering the teams we played.

Comment

Originally posted by jharrisfan

I agree with you that there is always uncertainty about what a coaching change may bring in terms of sucess or not. However, isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again in the same manner, but expecting different results? You have to be willing to risk sometimes to gain.
                I think, is it 11 years???, I think
                that is long enough to have proven weather he was the right man for the job. Quite frankly, I am amazed He has kept his job that long. What was the excuse for mediocrity at the DII level. Yes there was competition, but we had the same opportunities everyone else did, did we not? Same thing, year after year, after year. How long must we continue before those of you who know it to be true will admit it? IT IS TIME FOR CHANGE!
                I disagree. It's not time for a change. This is a 42-scholarship team that has overachieved, not a championship team that has underachieved. I credit the coaching staff for getting a great effort out of a team of players who have been frequently overmatched by teams with far more depth.

There is a level of football where wins and losses alone determine a coach's fate. It's called the NFL (and perhaps the Big XII South, since almost nobody ever graduates at OU, for example.)

I appreciate the fact that our players perform well on the field, in the classroom, and in the community. Recall the letter from the Georgia Southern bus driver last year? He was impressed with the class and dignity of our team. I think that's a direct reflection of the coaching staff. I was proud to be a part of SDSU when I read that letter. That is worth far more to me than another win or two.

Give me 6-5, a 70 percent graduation rate, and a coach who teaches his players to behave with class over 11-0, nobody graduating, and a team loaded with spoiled jerks any day of the week. And anyway, Filbert is right. Let's see what Stig and his staff can do with 50 or 60 scholarships.

Comment

round out the schedule a little more. Lets get rid of the D3 and Non scholarship teams
                  AMEN to that, would be nice to rid a lot of that crap from the schedule, but seems it is a popular choice again next year. I suppose it would probably help to have more than 5 teams in our conference, too.

Comment

I guess maybe I have been spoiled over the years with consistent top 20 (usually top 10) finishes, no worse than 9-3 records, several National Championships, and record numbers of academic all-americans on my favorite team of the past. I reallize that is an established and storied program, but one has to wonder if we have always overachieved, or if we have not played our best players, if we have not lived up to our potential. Losses are one thing, Losses due to incompetance (sp?) are another. I cannot say for sure which it is, but it is a question worth asking.

Comment

I guess maybe I have been spoiled over the years with consistent top 20 (usually top 10) finishes, no worse than 9-3 records,  several National Championships, and record numbers of academic all-americans on my favorite team of the past. I reallize that is an established and storied program, but one has to wonder if we have always overachieved, or if we have not played our best players, if we have not lived up to our potential. Losses are one thing, Losses due to incompetance (sp?) are another. I cannot say for sure which it is, but it is a question worth asking.
                      Who's your favorite team of the past? Montana? By the way, I like your username. I'm a big Jaron Harris fan, too and I would have liked to see him play more this year. I'm sure he'll get plenty of time next year, with Davis and Molitor gone.

Comment

It is a bit hard to admit these days, but my blood runs deep with Husker red. I have been known to go down to Memorial Stadium for the game and raced back to catch the last couple quarters of the Jacks game at CAS on occasion.
                          I just hope we can keep Harris here. Electrifying when He gets to touch the ball! Wondering about how he catches the ball with his hands up high, though, instead of his body. Hopefully we will see, though. ;D
                        PS, we will surely miss JD!

Comment

It is a bit hard to admit these days, but my blood runs deep with Husker red. I have been known to go down to Memorial Stadium for the game and raced back to catch the last couple quarters of the Jacks game at CAS on occasion.
                            I just hope we can keep Harris here. Electrifying when He gets to touch the ball! Wondering about how he catches the ball with his hands up high, though, instead of his body. Hopefully we will see, though. ;D
                          PS, we will surely miss JD!
                          I totally understand. My wife and I often feel torn between the Hawkeyes and the Jackrabbits. Iowa City is too far to go for a day trip, but we're going to get to a game one of these years. Usually, when we're at a Jacks' game while the Hawkeyes play, my father-in-law in New Jersey keeps us posted via our cell phone.

Harris did have one great TD catch this year, from Berry, early in the season where he had to stretch and catch it with his hands above his head. I can't recall the opponent, but it was in the south endzone. That kid is big, fast, and is going to be a monster.

Comment

Can we even imagine being able to stretch the field with a speedster like Harris, and I understand we have another really fast receiver here also. If we can establish that we can go deep at will (Harris will be hard for any teams we play to catch up with) just think what that would do for our already potent rushing attack. Wow. But I do not want to get too excited yet, our playcallers only just today found we have TE's that can catch the ball, too. New horizons, I guess.

Comment

[Also I think the Bison coaching staff were better prepared for this game./quote]
                              I had not yet had an opportunity to read or comment on this thread. I heard the same sentiments from several in attendance today at the UNC game in reference to the NDSU game. Stig sucks. Plain and simple. Another 6-5 season, a blown, BLOWN chance at a conference title, all because of lack of preparation? Any of you players out there, is that really the case? (He cannot hurt you here, HA).
                                It is that we could have and should have won games that we did not. Trick plays instead of FG at Montana? Cal Poly on the ropes, but we wouldn't play anybody but a severly ONE-DIMENSIONAL QB, run only, that is. Then the NDSU mess. Like to admit it or not, good coaches find a way to get it DONE. We do not have that type of coach, for whatever reason. And then people wonder why the stands are not filled. Oines heard it today, Not just me, but many. Do something about it. I love Football, and I love going to Jackrabbit games. However, many fans only hear about wins, and as a job performance issue, is that not the standard by which ANY coach ultimately should be judged? SDSU claims to be going places. Great. Let us see the progress on the field. What kind of a dumb*%@ calls three consecutive pass plays that are not completed with about 1 minute left in the half and then gives the ball back to the other team (blocked punt to add insult to injury) while LEADING the game. We did not even make one run to make them use timeouts or give us more room. Just one example from TODAY of POOR coaching.

I made the first quote about NDSU coaching staff being better prepared for the NDSU-SDSU game last week. I feel jharrisfan has picked up on it and misused the quote to blast Coach Stig and his staff for a 6-5 season.  This was not at all my conclusion when I made this comment. I happened to have been in the Fargo area  most of last week and on my way to the FargoDome, I had my radio tuned to WDAY the NDSU flagship station. They were talking to Coach Casey Bradley who was discussing their planned strategy for SDSU. He mentioned that the NDSU had looked at most if not all of the SDSU game tapes for 2005. He went on to say that SDSU offense had picked several defenses apart doing various offensive schemes. NDSU during the game was able to shut our offense down most if not all of the time. For that reason, I felt the NDSU coaching staff had did a better job in preparing the game plan.

What I dont know is how many game tapes of NDSU did the SDSU coaching staff look at and what they prepared for and so on and so forth. I do think coaching does play a big part in winning football games, but I will not put Coach Stig and his staff down at all as they have worked miricles with the resources they have available. I dont think any one on the coaching staff is lazy or incompetent. In fact some grad assistants, student assistants and volunteers put in countless hours preparing for the game as does Stig and the asssistant coaches. I think the results of the NDSU-SDSU game kind of speak for themselves, and SDSU proved to be the better football team today against UNC. Maybe UNC was more vulnerable on both sides of the ball, whereas NDSU was not. Who knows?

I dont think Coach Stig or any of the staff well be getting called in on the carpet and they dont deserve to be. Lets hope other schools with more money dont come calling and hire our staff away.

Coach Stig and staff did prove KSFY wrong in that KSFY figured SDSU would finish 2005 with a 5-6 record, well they got it wrong. ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X