Montana Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Montana Game

Well, Stig seems to be sticking to his guns. Thinks he is getting about what he can from this team. Thought Andy did what he could. Montana just too talented. Thought Parker could make that kick and if he had "we all look like geniuses". Are you kidding me? A 60-yard FG attempt is a prayer. He blames the players which essentially means he blames himself. He points out that they made some dumb penalties and were mis-alligned but played their hearts out. Allignment is the coaches job, penalties are about preparation. Stig calls out Montana on the fake punt late in the game.

I think Stig knows the writing is on the wall. I don't know how else to explain what he just said. I suppose we could find him 90 new guys, keep Kardoes and see how things go. Maybe I've lost my mind. This team is in trouble and I don't see who can change that this year.

Who the hell care about Montana St? I sure as hell don't.

I hope the Sioux beat UNI.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Stig:
      We played a real good football team, we started out playing some good football. Gave up some 3rd and longs. After we tied it they dug in, we made some mental errors. We put pressure on ourselves, you can't do that against a good football team.

Offense did a lot of good things today. Down two people on the offensive lines, tight ends dinged up, you're not going to get 435 yards against a team like this, I think they played pretty well.

They didn't show us much different--we thought we'd see some different formations. They protected really well, the qb had a ton of time.

Their punt returner is a downhill runner. We didn't get off the line of scrimmage very well. He's a great player, that kid.

We've coached the heck out of (penalties). We played a good football team, I think we're a good football team, we just need to work at eliminating penalties.

Parker had made 65-yarders in the warm-ups, you might think I'm mentally ill, but I need to make those calls, and I made it.

At halftime, we said this game isn't over, we just need to go out and play good football. Their quarterback got great protection, that's what really killed us.

We just couldn't strap it up in the second half.

We need to improve in all areas.

We did some bad things today with penalties, bad alignments, but they played their hearts out. I'm proud of our football team because of things like that.

Defense played a ton, especially in a situation we're down some guys. Those guys battled, gave us everything they can give us.

We need to be a first class program in everything we do, win or lose (regarding the late fake punt).

I told the team that we're in control of our actions, we'll maybe get a little bit of comfort if Montana State gets beat, but that mark will stay with us. We've got a lot of Iowa guys on our team, so Cedar Falls, the UNIDome where they play the championships, that will be a unique feeling.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks02
        Some please explain to me why we continue to throw the d@mn ball when we are so successfull running it?

Passing Stats:
        10-30 101 Yards

Rushing Stats:
        Koenig 14-93 yds 6.6 avg
        Kardoes 4-25 yds 6.2 avg

I realize we were trailing in the game, but we were only down 13 at halftime.  Obviously we have no ability to pass the ball, why not just give Koenig and Watson 25 carries each and play some smashmouth?
        Great questions, maybe Steve or Jerry should try asking a great question. Maybe even a good question. How about, why do you stick with a QB who can't hit an open receiver on the key play of the game? Or, do you think if you would have changed QBs the team might rally? or Why the hell did you make that stupid decision to kick a 60-yard FG? That post-game interview was a wast of time.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

You played the wrong team from Montana today. Montana State laid an egg against Chadron State at division II nobody. They showed very well that you can be up one week and at the bottom the next week.

Northern Iowa is playing horribly right now as well. UND leads them 14-6 at halftime. Very poor performance by UNI thus far and if this keeps up another embarrassing loss by a I-AA to a II. It is hard to get excited about I-AA teams beating I-A teams when I-AA teams are losing to II and III teams as well. UNI better pound UND in the second half.

Comment

I thought the Montana announcers called SDSU well. I didn't expect a win today. Wanted a close game and obviously a win, but they fell short. The first drive proved the team was there today, but overall the offense didn't perform. The Jacks are just not at that level right now. Combination of inexperience, transition from DII, scholarships and some coaching. Just think everyones expectations have changed after the recent success and don't think that is fair. One the program is full steam, lets expect some 9-2 seasons. The most dissapointing is the way things are said. I agree with most points it gets pretty depressing here and not much optimism.

a few positives:

Freshman DE looked good.
            Team didn't quit until the end.
            Koening was great and running game was good and maybe not used enough.
            Bright spots in special teams.
            Other teams today showed that any team on Any Given Saturday
            Jacks did much better on grass versus mud volleyball pit

Looking forward to improvement next week......

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
              Who the hell care about Montana St? I sure as hell don't.
              None of us do, either.

--------------------------------

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
              It's disappointing! I was really optimistic coming into the season!
              It's easy to say stuff like "nice game" when you come out on top, but it was a fun game... good plays by each team from time to time. Although you couldn't tell it from the raw score, I was impressed by the way your guys exposed defects in our supposedly invincible defense. In the end, your guys were just out-powered - this time. God knows you came close last time, and no doubt you will put a scare in us again.

Thanks for all the good natured chat. Later.

Comment

Final Score:

UND 35
                UNI 31

available on UNI's website

Comment

the team is back in town i just got back from downtown with some of the boys. plane ride was quite the quiet one from what i was told.

Comment

After this game, I sense we do have a bigger rebuilding program than what we may have thought. There seems to be too many penalties and beginner mistakes.

I watched the  Montana  game on a feed in Sioux Falls. Not much fun as the game play out. I think we were just out played with a very talented team.

I think the coaching staff from Montana was very disappointed last year with just getting a 6-0 win.

Plus the Montana coach is under a great deal of pressure. He had little to say after the win to the TV people. It's like he did not to put his foot in his mouth, so headed to the locker.

It looks to me like Montana worked on a game plan for SDSU this year and saw where we were very vulnerable. I see by the Argus, time of possession was 38 minutes for Montana to 22 for SDSU. Our D guys had to have been worn down completly. A warm day no doubt took a a great deal out of those guys too.

Eric Schroeder had an unbelievable sack, and Danny Batten the true Freshmen also got two interesting sacks. So there were a few bright and brief plays to feel good about.

I think these two seem to be our future for the D side of the ball. Laron Harris look very promising on a couple of receptions. It could be a long season, and any improvement from this game out will be bonsus and above my expectations. Watching Montana gives us an idea of what we still need to do to improve as a team. I would expect a bunch of slant passes from UNI next week. We are having problems covering the middle.

Steve Emming made a comment about our receiving corp seems to be running their routes and losing all vision for where the QB is and not adjusting to the rush that is being put on the QB. Balls are often over thrown and underthrown because of this. I dont think Steve is defend Kardoes, but making a general comment.

Steve felt our receivers need to have a better concept of what is happening to th QB and then adjusting. He thought Josh Davis had that part of the game down pat, but our newer receivers have not.

No doubt there a number of things to work on and hopefully a good week of practice will get our guys ready for Cedar Falls and UNI.

The season is not going good so far, but I am hopeful of a break out. We got some very good young kids and once they get things together, things could change in a hurry.  I think McNeese and Nicholas St are winnable, but maybe it because I dont know that much about them. Both suffered through the Hurricane last year.  

I feel UNI will be ready to bounce back this Saturday. Thats not good for us, but lets play the game.

Comment

I watched the So. FLA / McNeese game. McNeese was playing this Big East school tough through 2.5 quarters. The final score 44/10 was very misleading.

14 pts were due to blocking punts, and only having 20 yds to a touchdown for USF.

McNeese will probably be a tough game to win. UNI looks more winnable at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit
                        I watched the So. FLA / McNeese game.  McNeese was playing this Big East school tough through 2.5 quarters.  The final score 44/10 was very misleading.

14 pts were due to blocking punts, and only having 20 yds to a touchdown for USF.  

McNeese will probably be a tough game to win.  UNI looks more winnable at this point.
                        Not good news.  You might be very correct though!!!

Comment

Does anyone know who to send an email to at KELO to thank for showing the SDSU game? I know it is a little late, but if they get some emails from grateful fans, maybe they will show more in the future.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                          X