UNI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNI

We got out-played, as well as out coached in this game. I was at the game, and UNI made alot of halftime adjustments, where i couldnt see any significant made by us. There was one series where we ran off tackle 3 times in a row (which worked great in the first half) to gain a total of maybe 2 yards. there were also alot of mental errors by the jacks. there were many times when micah would be coming across the middle and kardouce would decide to tuck the ball and try and run over a linebacker...not smart. maybe its time to have an open tryout for quarterback. I know its not all on him, but when theres an open reciever and you dont see him multiple times, or throw the ball at his feet or leave him out to dry as was done multiple times, there has to be someone better for the job. He is a division 1 quarterback after all.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks81
      We got out-played, as well as out coached in this game.  I was at the game, and UNI made alot of halftime adjustments, where i couldnt see any significant made by us.  There was one series where we ran off tackle 3 times in a row (which worked great in the first half) to gain a total of maybe 2 yards.  there were also alot of mental errors by the jacks.  there were many times when micah would be coming across the middle and kardouce would decide to tuck the ball and try and run over a linebacker...not smart.  maybe its time to have an open tryout for quarterback.  I know its not all on him, but when theres an open reciever and you dont see him multiple times, or throw the ball at his feet or leave him out to dry as was done multiple times, there has to be someone better for the job.  He is a division 1 quarterback after all.
      Was this the first time you saw Kardoes this year? Reason I ask is that I agree with your assesment and don't mean to make it seem as if I think Andy has somehow now become a DI quality QB. He looks to run first and throw second which just doesn't seem consistent with what this team needs. Maybe that would be reasonable if he was an option QB but I think his decision on that pitch in the 4th quarter tells you he is probably not an option QB. Not to mention the time he didn't hand-off gut to the RB and then followed the RB into the off-guard/tackle hole anyways.

Many Kardoe's supporters, if you want to call them that, comment on his toughness and willingess to take hits. I think he has to be willing to take hits because he doesn't make quick reads or recognize open receivers. Is this coaching? Is this preparation? Is this lack of passing talent/confidence? Don't know but I suspect its the latter.

Now, if not Andy, who? Berry looked lost as well. I don't have answers and I have plenty of gripes. I hesitate to say that things are definitely progressing for this team. If the second half this week is repeated next week we will be 0-4.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
        [quote author=MilwaukeeJacksAlum link=1157993275/120#127 date=1158588039]I hope we get this turned around.  Getting run on is the ultimate insult to a defense.  I don't buy Stig's "we're only 2 deep in each position" argument.  I can count on one hand the amount of times I felt too tired on the field.  Unless you're a WR or DB, you're just not running that much.  WR's and DB's weren't the reason we were getting run on all second half.  Plus, the "we're just short on depth" argument is a circular argument.  If we are able to stop the run, we're able to force them into 3 and outs which means the D is rarely ever taxed.  The only time a D gets tired is when they're giving up multiple plays.  In other words, was our D tired which resulted in the bad second half or was the bad second half the reason our D was tired?  Scheme it up.
        Only a defensive player could have put this so eloquently.

In two years and 22 games as a starter I can count on a closed fist the number of times I came out because I was tired.  Depth is an issue if you have 18, 36, 63, or 85 scholarships. Any of us that played had issues with depth at our position - not enough of it. But we did what players do, we stepped up and did what we showed up for every game day to do - played football.[/quote]

It's easy to stay fresh when all you have to do is grab ahold of someone and not let go while calling it a "block". Offensive players have it so easy. I agree that depth is not an excuse, though. You never hear about an offense getting tired when they're on a 15 play drive - because it's not a valid excuse. Here's the best way to keep from getting tired: limit the number of plays you let the other offense have. Simple as that. We stop the run and no one's tired.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MID-CON JACK
          [quote author=McNeese72 link=1157993275/0#11 date=1158094539]Is it ice fishing season, yet???    We are having unusually cool weather down here.   It's in the low 90's.
          Doc:  The ice doesn't start biting until December.[/quote]

I know but I been asking Elk that for years. Sort of a joke.

Doc

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
            [quote author=jackmd link=1157993275/120#132 date=1158598918][quote author=89rabbit link=1157993275/120#131 date=1158592905]It appears that the Panther Nation has security issues that they might want to address:

http://www.panthernation.com/showthr...ed=1#post53007

**Edit**

After 38 responses mostly of UNI people telling horror stories about the lack of security at yesterday's game (best one/worst one was drunken students getting into the middle of their own band section trying to pick fights with the band) the thread was pulled.  Like I said on their board, most of the UNI fans I came in contact with were very nice and respectful.  It does seem that they have issues with a small segment of their fan base that has gotten out of control.  

Go State!  
            Ignore the problem and it will go away?  Is that what they are thinking?  Not asking or expecting to get a flag back, totally irrelevant.  However, I didn't see a single authority figure in any of the lots.  The Backyard is constantly being watched, which is a good thing.

Long and short, I came away from UNI with less respect for Cedar Falls as a community then when I arrived there.  I now have a hint as to why.
            [/quote]

I feel exactly the same way.  

Go State!  
            [/quote]

Wow, I am just appalled at the attitudes over at UNI.  Apparently theft and destruction of property is just something that they live with in Cedar Falls.  :-/ The UNI fans steal from each other. :-?  UNI wouldn't want to think to provide any security or anything at their sporting events, nah that is just plan crazy talk.  :   Like JackMD, I should have pulled my flag in but come on .  .  .    

http://www.panthernation.com/showthr...3031#post53031

Thank goodness I went to school in Brookings.  We are not perfect but we don't just throw are hands up in the air and say oh well.    

Go State! 

Comment

Was this the first time you saw Kardoes this year? Reason I ask is that I agree with your assesment and don't mean to make it seem as if I think Andy has somehow now become a DI quality QB. He looks to run first and throw second which just doesn't seem consistent with what this team needs. Maybe that would be reasonable if he was an option QB but I think his decision on that pitch in the 4th quarter tells you he is probably not an option QB. Not to mention the time he didn't hand-off gut to the RB and then followed the RB into the off-guard/tackle hole anyways.
              I saw andy play the game against lacrosse and all the games he played in last year. He had the excuses last year that it was his back...looks like the same QB now. one play..i dont know if its the one you were refering to where he followed the rb.. but he tried hurdling a down player. not smart when you have 240 pound guys looking to kill you and you leave your feet. he may be tough... so maybe he should be playin another position. try out burkart and crawford in a game and see how they fair. it definately isnt gonna hurt any

Comment

I'm in the same mindset as others it seems with Kardoes. I do trust the coaches and that scares me about this and next year.

I strongly feel that if they do choose to try another QB that they announce the start days before the game. Since the race seems so close, this would be the only fair thing to do. Throwing them in a hole in the second half would not be fair.

Comment

I just hope our guys can get it together and come up with some wins. I like MJA, dont see a winning record, but it will be a big relief when we do surprise someone and if its some one like McNeese, or Cal Poly that will be a big uplift. I see UC-Davis took Montana State 45-0 this past week end. We are going to need a big effort on Hobo Day as Davis seems to be doing very well so far.

I wasnt at the game and did not even listen to the broadcast so I am not offering an opinion on coaching and quarterbacks. It sounds like things went real bad. :'(

Comment

I was at the volleyball game and watching tornadoes, so I don't have a take on the game besides the fact we lost another one we should have won.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                      [quote author=89rabbit link=1157993275/120#133 date=1158599034][quote author=jackmd link=1157993275/120#132 date=1158598918][quote author=89rabbit link=1157993275/120#131 date=1158592905]It appears that the Panther Nation has security issues that they might want to address:

http://www.panthernation.com/showthr...ed=1#post53007

**Edit**

After 38 responses mostly of UNI people telling horror stories about the lack of security at yesterday's game (best one/worst one was drunken students getting into the middle of their own band section trying to pick fights with the band) the thread was pulled.  Like I said on their board, most of the UNI fans I came in contact with were very nice and respectful.  It does seem that they have issues with a small segment of their fan base that has gotten out of control.  

Go State!  
                      Ignore the problem and it will go away?  Is that what they are thinking?  Not asking or expecting to get a flag back, totally irrelevant.  However, I didn't see a single authority figure in any of the lots.  The Backyard is constantly being watched, which is a good thing.

Long and short, I came away from UNI with less respect for Cedar Falls as a community then when I arrived there.  I now have a hint as to why.
                      [/quote]

I feel exactly the same way.  

Go State!  
                      [/quote]

Wow, I am just appalled at the attitudes over at UNI.  Apparently theft and destruction of property is just something that they live with in Cedar Falls.  :-/  The UNI fans steal from each other.  :-?   UNI wouldn't want to think to provide any security or anything at their sporting events, nah that is just plan crazy talk.  :   Like JackMD, I should have pulled my flag in but come on .  .  .    

http://www.panthernation.com/showthr...3031#post53031

Thank goodness I went to school in Brookings.  We are not perfect but we don't just throw are hands up in the air and say oh well.    

Go State! 

[/quote]

I talked to a friend that goes to school at UNI. By the sound of it, it's a good thing that campus is not in Waterloo though. I guess that can get pretty dirty over there on a daily basis.

With that said, I was tailgating with my uncle and he left a bunch of stuff out, including a grill, food, etc and somebody moved it up on the lawn to park in that spot is all. Guess we were one of the lucky ones..

I thought the Jacks played MUCH better this week than the last 2. Not good enough to win, but I think there was progress made. I was sitting with many UNI fans, and they were all impressed with Kardoes. I thought he played very very good compared the last two weeks.

What hurt the Jacks was allowing around 10 yards a carry to the Panthers, and not finishing on drives - the delay of game on the 3 yard line hurt real bad. I wasn't too upset with their performance though. They made it a game, and that's something we couldn't say the last 2 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                        It's easy to stay fresh when all you have to do is grab ahold of someone and not let go while calling it a "block".  Offensive players have it so easy.  I agree that depth is not an excuse, though.  You never hear about an offense getting tired when they're on a 15 play drive - because it's not a valid excuse.  Here's the best way to keep from getting tired: limit the number of plays you let the other offense have.  Simple as that.  We stop the run and no one's tired.  
                        It wasn't the "blocking" that tired guys like me out. It was more the running past linebackers to catch all of those passes that did me in. That and running over DB's after catching the ball I do have to admit though, holding on every play and hiding from officials can be a bit tiresome.
                        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
                          I'm in the same mindset as others it seems with Kardoes.  I do trust the coaches and that scares me about this and next year.  

I strongly feel that if they do choose to try another QB that they announce the start days before the game.  Since the race seems so close, this would be the only fair thing to do.  Throwing them in a hole in the second half would not be fair.
                          I agree with Jacks 99. To put a quarterback into games when the team is reeling is unfair no matter who it is. Food for thought, Berry is 1-1 as a starter for the Jacks, and in that loss he tied the school record for TD passes and the Jacks put up 42 points. It would be nice to see what he could do as a named starter ahead of time. Maybe he could help right the ship, maybe not. I'd like to see him have that shot.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfbfan1
                            I agree with Jacks 99.  To put a quarterback into games when the team is reeling is unfair no matter who it is.  Food for thought, Berry is 1-1 as a starter for the Jacks, and in that loss he tied the school record for TD passes and the Jacks put up 42 points.  It would be nice to see what he could do as a named starter ahead of time.  Maybe he could help right the ship, maybe not.  I'd like to see him have that shot.
                            I think its clear where I stand here. Let Berry start, I see nothing to lose. I want a guy at QB who looks to pass first, second and third and only runs when the reads indicate or when the opportunity is too ripe to pass it up. Perhaps Tom Brady or this Booty guy from USC?
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Not sure if most of you are aware that Berry was a walk-on QB when he started at SDSU. We had many other QB recruits who did receive money. Some have left the program, others have been switched to different positions which leaves us with Berry at #2. Read into that as much as you want, but it bears consideration when discussing his ability to run the offense. So far, this season, he's done nothing to prove he's able to provide us any more pocket passing than Kardoes has. I am more inclined to believe Berry's game last year was more of an aberation than a foreshadowing. That is in no way a vote of confidence for Kardoes, but instead more of a testiment as to our QB situation right now.
                              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I don't think Berry or Kardoes is the answer. If Kardoes played like he did last week, every week, then he's the man for the job. I say go with the freshman, Ryan Crawford. He was highly rated coming out of high school so he must have impressed someone. Give him a chance to run the offense and learn how to deal with the speed of college football; it'll help us in the long run. This season appears to be a wash, so why let a senior who's, at best, an average QB. I'm not a big fan of Berry either. It's Ryan Crawford's time to shine.

Comment

Working...
                                X