Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stadium?

Originally posted by wr54
    erecting a structure just like the main grandstand on the other side of the field where the ugly yellow bleachers are would make Coughlin simply beautiful and intimidating-plus I have a good feeling that over the next couple of years we are going to get back the fan following so I think we would fill both sides up...
    I have a hunch that long term we will have permanent stands on the east side. Just remember what CAS was like while we still in the NCC. I think it is about priorities. First we get a new scoreboard and spruce up the concourse and tailgating areas. I think the lockerroom situation needs to be addressed and I believe it ultimately will. The last step is adding permanent seating on the east side, but that won't come until we start getting 15,000 to come to fb games on a consistent basis. One thing that needs to happen before drastic stadium improvements will made is our FB team needs to consistently win 8-9 games a year and contend for the play-offs. Winning=Fan Support=Money=Stadium improvements.
    Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

The Athletic Department has a facilities plan . . . I think it would be a Really Good Idea if they posted it (at least highlights) online.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I havent read all the replys to this topic, so this may have already been posted, but there IS a new stadium plan. It will cost $60 million and would seat 18,000 expandable to 24,000. It would include locker rooms and offices. It will be staggeringly beautiful.
        WE need 60 million!!! Everyone dig deep!! In all honesty I think it might be less than 10 years away.

CAS is not that bad. For those going to Nicholls St this weeekend for the game I think you will agree with me that CAS is a much nicer facility. There are so many 1AA stadiums worse than ours that I couldnt list them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozark_Jack
          I havent read all the replys to this topic, so this may have already been posted, but there IS a new stadium plan. It will cost $60 million and would seat 18,000 expandable to 24,000. It would include locker rooms and offices. It will be staggeringly beautiful.
          WE need 60 million!!! Everyone dig deep!! In all honesty I think it might be less than 10 years away.

CAS is not that bad. For those going to Nicholls St this weeekend for the game I think you will agree with me that CAS is a much nicer facility. There are so many 1AA stadiums worse than ours that I couldnt list them all.
          Tell me where to send my annual check, don't have enough cash to plunk down a large sum but I would be willing to make installments! Luxury boxes or something of the like would be included. I'd like to see a push towards this and think we will soon. In the meantime its CAS and we need to make the most of that. Right now its about maintaining what we have while remaining on track with the plans in place for the transition. Upgrading Frost, improving the baseball, softball, and soccer facilities. Securing someplace for track and field (in Brookings or elsewhere) and ramping up FB scholarships.

Plans are in place and this isn't a race, its reality. Patience and support are two key words here.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

We need rabbitden to breathe some life into the joint via the public address system. Like saying, "Everybody on your feet, it's third down!" when your opponent has the ball!

It's hard to tell how the noise level is when it all travels away from the granstand and there is nothing to hold it in. When the team gives us something to cheer about it will come around!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ozark_Jack

I had a rant all queued up (basically "why the he## don't we all know about this stadium plan???&quot, but I'll wait until I'm in Brookings next to take a look for myself at the facilities plan.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Great topic and good thoughts. I have to admit, I am still juiced over the new scoreboard. Sometimes, during games like UW-LC, its was fun just to watch the scoreboard.
                I agree, it is an embarrassment that opposing teams have to hike over from the HPER.
                But what I have never understood is this, when they redid the concourse and put up the pictures of past Jacks and plays, etc, (which is nice) why no pictures of Josh Ranek. Just doesn't make sense to me. Or have I missed the picture somewhere??

Comment

Several people have mentioned that it is pretty poor that the opposiing teams have to trek all the way over the HPER for their locker room.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm not the slightest bit concerned about how fat the opponents have to walk at half time. That should be the absolute last of our concerns! Heck, send them to "The Barn" at half time!!! ;D ;D ;D

A new locker room needs to be the priority and I'm sure it is addressed in the plans that are out there!

I'm just glad there isn't a game there tomorrow night because it would be deja vu all over again!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
                    Several people have mentioned that it is pretty poor that the opposiing teams have to trek all the way over the HPER for their locker room.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm not the slightest bit concerned about how fat the opponents have to walk at half time. That should be the absolute last of our concerns! Heck, send them to "The Barn" at half time!!! ;D ;D ;D

A new locker room needs to be the priority and I'm sure it is addressed in the plans that are out there!

I'm just glad there isn't a game there tomorrow night because it would be deja vu all over again!

SUPERBUNNY
                    The Barn? Heck, send 'em over to Christy Ballroom, if not the Super 8!
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Opposing team amenities could help with scheduling, especially since it isn't likely we'll be able to plunk down cash to entice quality opponents to show like NDSU is able to (they paid Northeastern $70,000 to show up in Fargo last weekend). We might get a good team to show here once, but having a locker room across town won't help lure them back. And we definately won't get over 10,000 fans to show for Cereal Bowl with the likes of UW La Crosse on the opposing sideline (especially if they beat us ).

Speaking of attendance, it seems as though attendance is up over NCC days, and student participation much improved. In my day, we showed up for the first quarter and left to get drunk after that. No tailgating, either. The school has done a good job of making game day an event.

Inside football. No way. I reference FargoDome and Allerus Center as showing showing commitment to football. And given the real difference in whether between Fargo, Grandforks, and Brookings, maybe a necessity for them. Plus, municipal funds went into indoor buildings. Cost and feasibility would prevent an indoor facility here.

Seems like a person is so far away from the game at CAS, even in the front row. I envision a more intimate setting. More seats closer to the field. Perhaps less rows than than CAS's west side, but wrapping around the field in horseshoe fashion. Bench backs a plus. Perhaps even a few red bricks to blend the building in with the feel of campus. And although I'm not media, a press box that doesn't look like a tornado dropped a trailer house atop the stadium.

Comment

I had a rant all queued up (basically "why the he## don't we all know about this stadium plan???&quot, but I'll wait until I'm in Brookings next to take a look for myself at the facilities plan.
                        There is an entire athletic facilities master plan that was done in the last couple years.  It addresses numerous improvements.  It adds a field house (which is shown in the media guide) on the North side of the stadium and new grandstands on both sides.  The field house would also be used for indoor tailgating functions I have heard.  The plan keeps the pressbox (and possibly luxury suites but I can't remember) on the West side.  The stadium would be configured like Ga. Southern's (the curved shape, not dug down though) with possible expansion in the South endzone to create a horseshoe.  I believe this is only a preliminary design and no specific design work has been done.  I would like the athletic department to publish the master plan on the web site, but they might be waiting for the scholarships to get ramped up before lauching a facilities fund drive.

Comment

I don't know if it was just the first game one-time thing or not, but the announcers for the UWL game, picked up on the internet kept complaining about lights intermittently going out in the press box, and other facility issues. That felt embarrassing to me. I always though CAS was cool and all, but we must admit, it's pretty cold, austere and eastern bloc. And frankly, how it compares to some other, poorer facilities is irrelevant in that I was the best home we can afford. I attended the Cal Davis game at Howard Wood last year, and I just can't agree that it's less than CAS, especially with the turf. In total, though, the stadium is low on the list of priorities like locker-rooms, scholies, and perhaps a fairly significant hike in salaries and other resources afforded the coach's budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Charger13
                            There is an entire athletic facilities master plan that was done in the last couple years. It addresses numerous improvements. It adds a field house (which is shown in the media guide) on the North side of the stadium and new grandstands on both sides. The field house would also be used for indoor tailgating functions I have heard. The plan keeps the pressbox (and possibly luxury suites but I can't remember) on the West side. The stadium would be configured like Ga. Southern's (the curved shape, not dug down though) with possible expansion in the South endzone to create a horseshoe. I believe this is only a preliminary design and no specific design work has been done. I would like the athletic department to publish the master plan on the web site, but they might be waiting for the scholarships to get ramped up before lauching a facilities fund drive.
                            When I next see Fred, I'm going to suggest that they actually do link the scholarship drive and the facilities drive -- i.e. say "here's what we're going to do with facilities, we plan to kick off the facilities drive when we get to 90% (or whatever) on the scholarship endowment, which will hopefully be in 200X."

Mainly I want to see an overall strategic plan for SDSU athletics--a plan which is documented, ambitious, achievable, easily accessable, and vigorously promoted every single day.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by bellringer85
                              Great topic and good thoughts. I have to admit, I am still juiced over the new scoreboard. Sometimes, during games like UW-LC, its was fun just to watch the scoreboard.
                              I agree, it is an embarrassment that opposing teams have to hike over from the HPER.
                              But what I have never understood is this, when they redid the concourse and put up the pictures of past Jacks and plays, etc, (which is nice) why no pictures of Josh Ranek. Just doesn't make sense to me. Or have I missed the picture somewhere??
                              It is my take that the signage is meant to be more anonymous rather than highlight specific individuals. I think this is a good idea and can recognize individuals in different ways in the stadium and elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDak
                                I don't know if it was just the first game one-time thing or not, but the announcers for the UWL game, picked up on the internet kept complaining about lights intermittently going out in the press box, and other facility issues. That felt embarrassing to me. I always though CAS was cool and all, but we must admit, it's pretty cold, austere and eastern bloc. And frankly, how it compares to some other, poorer facilities is irrelevant in that I was the best home we can afford. I attended the Cal Davis game at Howard Wood last year, and I just can't agree that it's less than CAS, especially with the turf. In total, though, the stadium is low on the list of priorities like locker-rooms, scholies, and perhaps a fairly significant hike in salaries and other resources afforded the coach's budget.

Eastern Bloc is a perfect description of CAS.

Comment

Working...
                                X