Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hobo Day Attendence

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
    I agree with what everyone has said - it was a great crowd today. I'll call it the largest SDSU crowd ever at football game at Coughlin. Remember when we set the record in '85, there were in all likelihood a couple thousand fans from USD as well. Today there were 150 UC Davis fans/band members tops. That equals a lot of Jackrabbit fans that saw a great game this afternoon...and better yet, they actually got loud in the second half when the team needed them.
    Yeah. That was me up in row 30 Section K. It'll be a couple of days before I'm able to talk again. ;D 8-)
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

On a little bit of a side note...they stated the attendance was the 3rd most...we all know that the 85 game was the largest attendance...Can anyone tell me what game was 2nd in attendance? I was just curious and hadn't heard the answer thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea
        On a little bit of a side note...they stated the attendance was the 3rd most...we all know that the 85 game was the largest attendance...Can anyone tell me what game was 2nd in attendance?  I was just curious and hadn't heard the answer thus far.
        Straight from the SDSU Football media guide.
        16193    vs. USD2    1985
        15866    vs. USD2    1975
        15248     vs. Cal-Davis 2006
        15193    vs. USD2    1977
        14503    vs. Missouri-Rolla 2005
        14286     vs. augie   1988
        14147     vs. augie   1974

We only needed 945 fans to walk on in from the Tailgating and we would have reached the record.

Comment

Thanks for the info! It stinks that we were so close to the record, but as someone said earlier this was likely the largest SDSU crowd ever.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
            [quote author=RabbitinTea link=1161776637/30#31 date=1162178966]On a little bit of a side note...they stated the attendance was the 3rd most...we all know that the 85 game was the largest attendance...Can anyone tell me what game was 2nd in attendance?  I was just curious and hadn't heard the answer thus far.
            Staright from the SDSU Football media guide.
            16193    vs. USD2    1985
            15866    vs. USD2    1975
            15248     vs. Cal-Davis 2006
            15193    vs. USD2    1977
            14503    vs. Missouri-Rolla 2005
            14286     vs. augie   1988
            14147     vs. augie   1974

We only needed 945 fans to walk on in from the Tailgating and we would have reached the record.[/quote]

That is quite an accomplishment none the less. 5 of those games listed are either USD or Augie. Both of those teams bring a lot of fans to the game. The last two years we have had two of the top five attendance games of all time. Both of those years it was against a team that does not travel well and almost all of the fans attending were SDSU fans. The UC-Davis game may be the largest all SDSU attended game of all time. I was at the '85 USD game, USD was ranked No. 1 in D-II and they had well over 1,000 people at that game.

SDSU has been in the NCC for nearly 100 years and in 3 years of D-1AA, we already have two of the top 5 largest Hobo Day's of all time. People thought that our attendance would go down because we don't have any rivals, other than NDSU and people still think they are not our rival, but our partner in the D-1 transition. I guarantee you that the Marker game is every bit as big a game as the USD games were. If we get an invite to the Gateway, I see even larger crowds for Non-Hobo Day games. An increase in attendance, more home conference games, less travel should all added up to an increase in revenue and decrease in cost.

I see good things happening to this university and I just want to thank the administration for having the foresight and guts to make the move. For that I am very grateful.

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Definetly proof that SDSU does not need their old rivals and that there is a growing support base. Some of which I think are brought to the game to see a higher level of football you can see anywhere else closer than Fargo.

I thought the crowd was outstanding. I was in row 8 of K and they did a lot better job this week even early in the game. The lull in the middle was understandable. I had a small cough before, but lost almost my entire voice. I'm not sure I'll get it back for this weeks game.

The best part is that even though it looked bleak most did stick around all the way to the end because they knew this team could do it and they proved it again. Time to pound some teams for a few weeks to get everything tuned up for the finale.

Comment

You should all be proud of the way the community has pullled together. It is good to see. Now if we could only get 1/2 a crowd in St Cloud, I would be happy.

Comment

The offical student numbers for the hobo day game was just over 1500.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                    The offical student numbers for the hobo day game was just over 1500.

That number stuns me! I was sitting in the north end zone and it didn't look like there was room for another person in the student section. I would have guessed 3,000+ for the student count!

Bluehat, do you think there were a lot of college kids from other schools sitting up there that had to buy tickets?

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Not sure, I know there were fans from other schools there at the game. As evidence by a few USD and UNO sweatshirts seen. 1,500 is about the average student turn out at the games this year. It is a really poor number.

Comment

How many section and seats do the students use? The smaller sections only hold 450 people and that is tight sitting down. I would imagine the student section only holds about 1,200 depending where the band encroaches.

Also take into account that many in the student section aren't SDSU students, maybe 20%?

I still hold to my belief that the actual attendance numbers are lower than reported. :-X

Comment

I still hold to my belief that whether it's 1200 or 1500 that's not a great showing from the students, especially when another 1500 minimum are a couple of 100 yards away in the Backyard. I understand everyone has different priorities, but can't imagine not being able to put down the drink for a couple of hours and enjoy a very entertaining game. I wonder how many of that 1500 stayed to watch the Jacks pull it out in the end. I noticed a lot of students heading out the gate for the dorms after the Pride played at halftime.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                            Not sure, I know there were fans from other schools there at the game.  As evidence by a few USD and UNO sweatshirts seen.  1,500 is about the average student turn out at the games this year.  It is a really poor number.
                            Those folks were most likely Coyote-Fan, MavRule, and MavPower, who really are Jacks fans at heart.

Comment

It's Hobo Day and only 15-20% of the students turn out? (that student attendance probably doesn't include the Pride since they aren't scanned at the gate; they walk through en masse) That seems a tad fishy, but I know the atheltic dept. isn't trying to throw the numbers off. IMHO, they should consider setting up another point for students to enter. The line was probably a block long with students about 15-20 minutes before kickoff and there are only two people who who are set up to swipe student IDs and allow entry. Do some of the students look at the line and decide it's too crowded or that they won't get in on time and head to the nearest drinking area? The SD community has spoken in support of SDSU football; the general student just needs to get more motivated and get to the game.

Comment

The line was fine. Athletic department staff were letting students in the side gate right next to the card swipe line. The wait was maybe one minute. I don't know how many the student section holds but at least another 1000 to 1500 students never entered the game. I would say the number of students from other schools was very small in the actual game. Most of the students from other schools stayed in the tailgate area.

Comment

Working...
                                X