Southern Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Southern Utah

I'm very concerned about this game despite my prediction. There are just so many things that can go wrong with a team in our situation despite every extra precaution being made. The coachs, team, etc. can all harp about not looking past this game towards next week, but it is impossible to do that 100%. My hope is that SUU does something early on in the game to piss off our players. There is no motivation in football like anger. It's amazing what a chip on your shoulder can do to get you to focus. I'm hoping that happens early on in this game or is already there because of the last 2 years' results. We are the better team and should win handily. Those, unfortunately, are words uttered by thousands of teams throughout history. That being said,

SDSU 27
    SUU 10

SUU scores first and does a little too much celebrating after the score. That rubs the Jacks the wrong way and we take it out on them on the field scoring 24 unanswered before trading field goals in the 4th quarter.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
      I'm very concerned about this game despite my prediction. There are just so many things that can go wrong with a team in our situation despite every extra precaution being made. The coachs, team, etc. can all harp about not looking past this game towards next week, but it is impossible to do that 100%. My hope is that SUU does something early on in the game to piss off our players. There is no motivation in football like anger. It's amazing what a chip on your shoulder can do to get you to focus. I'm hoping that happens early on in this game or is already there because of the last 2 years' results. We are the better team and should win handily. Those, unfortunately, are words uttered by thousands of teams throughout history. That being said,

SDSU 27
      SUU 10

SUU scores first and does a little too much celebrating after the score. That rubs the Jacks the wrong way and we take it out on them on the field scoring 24 unanswered before trading field goals in the 4th quarter.
      I agree. I hope the Jacks take the attitude that this is a playoff game, because it is.

If we win, we go to the GWFC Championship Game in the FargoDome. If the Jacks can't get up for this conference game, then we don't deserve to win the conference. (I'm gonna say "we" because I'll be in Cedar City for the game. . . )
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

From the Sports Network:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/

Week 11: Hitting the road
        by Matt Dougherty, Executive Director of I-AA Football

.  .  .  

No. 22 South Dakota State (6-3, 2-0) at Southern Utah (3-6, 0-3), 3:00

The momentum should be a good indicator of the winner of this game. After losing the first three games, South Dakota State has used a combination of good defense and timely offense to record six consecutive wins with triumphs over Cal Poly, UC Davis and McNeese State. They are producing more than 150 yards per game on the ground, and generally doing just enough on defense to stay in the game for an offense that is producing in the fourth quarter. Cory Koenig and Anthony Watson have more than 1,000 combined yards on the ground, and that should be good for a victory against a Southern Utah team that is going the other way. The Thunderbirds own an early win over Texas State and played well in losses at Cal Poly and McNeese State, but they have taken a dive with five consecutive losses overall. The offense only scored a lone touchdown in losses to Florida Atlantic, North Dakota State and UC Davis in the last three games, and the prospects don’t look much better against a South Dakota State team that is playing so well. The Jackrabbits rarely make their wins come easy, so it could still come down to the wire. But South Dakota State will win again to have a chance to claim the outright Great West title next week against North Dakota State. Prediction: South Dakota State 24, Southern Utah 14  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!

Comment

From the Collegian:

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/media/s...ucollegian.com

Jacks push for conference title with game versus Southern Utah
          Riding a six-game winning streak, the Jacks cannot look past Southern Utah.

Brian Kimmes

The Jacks enter the final stretch of their season with a renewed focus as they are challenged with two conference games on the road. In the first game, the Jacks travel to Cedar City, Utah, to face the University of Southern Utah. The Jacks are leading the Great West Football Conference with a 2-0 record, while Southern Utah enters the game in last place of the Great West, 0-3.

"There's a new excitement to finish this thing off," Head Coach John Stiegelmeier said. "I sense a mature attitude also ... they know they need to take care of business."

Stiegelmeier said the team still strives to finish 1-0 every week.

Last season, Southern Utah finished the season 1-9. This year, the Thunderbirds started the 2006 season much better than the previous, winning their first two games. They now have a record of 3-6. Unlike the Jackrabbits, who enter the game riding a six-game winning streak, the Thunderbirds will perform with a five-game losing streak in tow.

In Southern Utah's first Great West game, the Thunderbirds pushed California Polytechnic University to the end. Cal Poly scored 15 points in the fourth quarter to secure an 18-14 comeback victory.

Stiegelmeier said after watching film, "It is real evident they are a good football team." . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

7 staight victories sure sounds good going into Fargo..........

Go Jacks !!!!!!!!!
            http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

By now the guys are on their plane and on the way to Utah. 7 AM came early for them I am sure. I talked to Wags last night, the guys are ready and reporting for duty.

Comment

Forecast for the game is cloudy and windy, in the 40's, maybe as high as 50, with a chance of rain towards the end of the game.

Come on, Rabbits, let's go out and put this one away before the rain starts!
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think poor weather helps us. They are more of a passing team. We can run the ball on them. Poor weather always benefits the better rushing team. As long as it's not muddy...
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                     As long as it's not muddy...
                    Thats awfully close to talking about that GWCNBMA (or whatever mnemonic filbert assigned).  Agreed, run it down their throats, let Andy continue to be the team leader he has developed into and count on the defense to keep them in check.  I am a little concerned about or middle and underneath pass coverage as William Penn kind of picked us apart in that 2nd quarter.  I trust the coaches and players have focused on that this week.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Good luck you guys. Let's all get the work done to have a showdown next week.

Comment

Originally posted by NDSUFREAK10
                        Good luck you guys. Let's all get the work done to have a showdown next week.
                        Agreed. A battle for the outright conference title at ND is the type of game we dreamed about when moving to 1AA. Both of our schools.

Comment

We're putting our long socks on and getting ready to head over to Eccles Coliseum for the game. Y'all keep the home fires burning for us.

Go Rabbits!!!
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                            We're putting our long socks on and getting ready to head over to Eccles Coliseum for the game.  Y'all keep the home fires burning for us.

Go Rabbits!!!
                            I might have to go in pursuit of some ringnecks, just depends on the first half. Nice thing is the strength of the WNAX signal makes it easy to bring the game to the field with me. Pheasants don't mind a little noise and if I don't see one (not likely) at least I'll have the Jacks on the radio.

I'm not sure what will happen at the start of this game. This Jack's team is unpredictable. I'd like to see them come out fast and take the SUU crowd (if there is one) out or it right away. Its comforting to know if we don't that we can come back. How many times, though?
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

WOW -- I turned on the SUU Web cast and they are calling San Diego State University. I know this happens but the radio stations need to know better.
                              We...ARE...STATE!
                              SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

I haven't turned on WNAX yet (had it on for the basketball game). Since Imming was at the basketball game, who is broadcasting the football game? Is WNAX taking a feed from the SUU announcers?

Comment

Working...
                                X