Southern Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Southern Utah

I think it was suggested in another thread on facilities, I would guess, that when we build a new fb stadium we combine it with a new track. I would hope we NEVER combine the two. Nothing says high school like a track around your fb field. And nothing is worse than watching a football game looking over eight lanes of track. And nothing is better than having your fans on top of the field.
    @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
    --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne
      I think it was suggested in another thread on facilities, I would guess, that when we build a new fb stadium we combine it with a new track. I would hope we NEVER combine the two. Nothing says high school like a track around your fb field. And nothing is worse than watching a football game looking over eight lanes of track. And nothing is better than having your fans on top of the field.
      A combo football/track facility is not in the plan. A re-built Coughlin-Alumni would be a dedicated football facility.

The track is envisioned to be at the north end of the athletic facility next to the Highway 14 Bypass. Actually, there's talk floating around that, after the field house (i.e. indoor practice facility) gets built north of CAS, that SDSU wouldn't have an actual outdoor track at all. This due to the scheduling of track & field events--almost all of those are on the road anyway, so an outdoor facility gets minimal use. The field house would be large enough to host indoor track events, and large enough to provide good practice facilities for outdoor track & field events. (As always, if you don't like this idea, make yourself and your $$$ known to the Athletic Dept.)
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Filbert's right......it's hard for SDSU to justify an outdoor track, particularly if it were to only be used once or twice per year. If SDSU were to ever host a Mid-Con conference track meet, Howard Wood in SF would be a good venue (even though I'm not a huge fan of having many SDSU-hosted/home events outside of Brookings) for that particular event.

My personal facility priorities:
        1) CAS renovation/ new facility
        2) Get baseball and softball fields back on campus
        3) Fieldhouse/training facility
        4) Frost upgrades/renovation (Frost will turn 35 next year, all blue seating, more concessions-need to find a permanent home for the ice cream stand, etc.) Frost will be used for many decades to come even if we build:
        5) New basketball arena-this is likely a 2025-30ish project.....Frost would be approaching 60 years by 2030 and a larger/state-of-the-art basketball facility may be desired depending on the basketball program's successes and the overall needs of the university (would graduation outgrow Frost if enrollment cotinues to increase?).....this is on my list because I see this facility before:
        6) Outdoor track

Comment

Filbert: thanks for posting those pics. Always nice to see the other schools.

I suggest this thread not be used to debate anything about a track and field facility. A combined track and football facility makes perfect sense at a lot of places (one of my favorite exampes, the U of Kansas). Separating the two also makes sense for some schools (example, U of Nebraska). In any event, I think that's a subject for an entirely different thread and only when it appears the money is on the horizon. Keep in mind that track and field which, with its cousin-sport, cross country, has been arguably the most successful program in SDSU's history, is part of the solution to balancing Title IX issues with increased football scholarships, improved football facilities etc. Women's track and field which, like equestrian, is one of the few sports which requires large numbers of female athletes.

I'll have trouble waiting for this Saturday and the trip to the FargoDome. Go Jacks.

Comment

Working...
          X