Dakota Marker/Conf Champ Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Dakota Marker/Conf Champ Game Thread

"They're Midwest kids that love the game. They play hard for each other, and that's the reason they're in every game they play."
    One other note on the game. Before I get into it I want to let everyone know that I have heard the story three different ways now so I am going to go with what I know from the best sources and maybe it will get straightened out here.

Mitch Pontrelli had spent some time the week before the game in the hospital with an infection. The doctor wanted to keep him one more night just to be sure so he was driven up on Saturday morning (supposedly with an IV still in). The way I understand it is that after the game he was driven back and readmitted again.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

I can not take issue on any comments expressed by Jack and Bison fans alike. I would say I am about 99 per cent in agreement.

I being the old guy have seen how SDSU went from the Alpha male to the beta in dominance of the NDSU-SDSU series. I even got a football program from the NDSU Fargo home game in 1987, where they did a flash back to the 1964 game also in Fargo. Ed Kolpeck, father to Jeff was the sports writer for the forum in 1964. Being a good reporter like Jeff, he called Warren Williamson, SDSU assistant coach. during the week since Warren had flown up to Fargo to scout the Bison. One of coach Williamsens' comments  after seeing a Darrell Muda coached squad for the first time was: "It could be a long night in Fargo". And the article went on to tell how SDSU was taken to the wood shed in the 1964 game.  Except for a few games, this is how the NDSU-SDSU series has went since 1964.

This is why in my mind I had so many doubts about the outcome of this game.  I was very worried about a blow out. Its happen too many times in the past. For our guys to still be within 3 pts in the fourth quarter was beyond my imagination. Like every one else my heart was broken when White ran the punt return in for a TD.  Stigs comments to the Argus, caused some stir over on Bisonville as some Bison fans took them the wrong way and thought Coach Stig was dishing the Bison Program. Nothing could be further from the truth. I think Stig does not want people like myself and other Jack fans telling him "Good job, you played them close." The truth of the matter is Coach believed his squad could win and they would have if for not giving up big plays If is playing poorly is giving up pig plays, I have to agree as painful as it may seem. I am sure the guys our players are feeling bad about the outcome and anxious to get the pads on again next year. I not saying that they did not give it their best effort either its just that football is a 60 minute effort and you need the most points on the board to win.

I think without a question our program is going in the right direction. Our recruiting is improving, our  attendence is up, propably more messages posted on football topics this year than last  year. So all is going in the right direction.

I say congradualations to NDSU, your a football program I have always adminred. SDSU needs to move its football program from being an average program to an excellent program. We do that with $$$$$$$.

Comment

Originally posted by tony
        [quote author=EQguy link=1163891456/240#242 date=1163952160][quote author=bisonbacker link=1163891456/225#234 date=1163913730]First of all I want to say congratulations to you guys.  The first thing I wanted to do was come on here and say that and leave it at that.  I did take time to read through the game thread over here and was somewhat suprised (guess I shouldn't be given its SDSU's fan board) [highlight]but I need to say this to a few Bunny fans.  You need to learn to both win and lose with some class.
        After reading the Bison board I would say you need to clean your own house before you clean ours.  Those in glass houses...

In the end it was a great game and a great season.  I am already looking forward to next year!  I am just excited about the fact that our football team found a way to keep our fans interest through the end of the year.  In so many years past the football season was basically over, from many fan's perspective, after Hobo Day.  I am glad to see our boys get the love they deserve.[/quote]

IMO, the bisonbacker should be attending, rather than giving, lectures on this topic  Treat people with respect and you'll earn it. [/quote]

Jesus man are you blind? Did you read my last two posts in this thread? Get a grip man!

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy
          I agree bbfan.  The remarks were made by our head coach after the game.  He was asked and he commented that he thought Montana was a better team.  This is the same head coach that has a long time relationship with your head coach from the days when they were both on the staff at Wisconsin together.  
          I would put this yrs Bison team up against the Grizzles (yes, I spelled it that way) ANY day of the week. Missoula, Fargo, wherever. I don't care. I have confidence that NDSU would take it to the Griz no matter what Stig says. Poly's coach (Rich Ellerson) said, "NDSU is the best team we've played in years and years. In 38 years of coaching, I don't think I've ever had my @ss handed to me like I did last night. It's a travesty that NDSU isn't eligible for the playoffs this year because I think they would make one hell of a run all the way to the title. I've played Montana, along with other top ranked teams and NDSU has my personal 1st place vote for #1 in the polls. In my opinion, it's not even close.". I think that says alot.

WE ARE THE BISON, who the hell are you???

Comment

SDSU's coach is entitled to his opinion (which, I would remind you, is informed by actually having detailed knowledge of both Montana and NDSU's teams, having played both of them this year)

NDSU fans are not obligated to agree with his opinions. SDSU's fans are similarly not obligated to agree with either Stig or NDSU fans.

Keep the discussion here cordial, please, although I am not sure that there is anything else left to say.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
            X