Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2007 Schedule

Originally posted by NightHawk78
    [quote author=jacksfaninne link=1158777639/0#10 date=1161881385]Looks like we even could have a Hobo Day before the first snow fall. Maybe the SFA game?
    I doubt that the athletic department wants a Hobo Day that early because interest and attendance for football drops dramatically after Hobo Day. Nov. 10 or Oct. 20 (pheasant opener) are likely the frontrunners.[/quote]
    I think the drop in attendance has a lot more to do with the weather (and the fact we haven't had a lot to play for) than the fact Hobo Day is over. Do people really decide whether or not to attend a game based on whether it's before or after Hobo Day? I agree, Hobo Day would help boost the attendance at a late-season game, but great weather on a September Saturday could bring out some new fans, too.
    @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
    --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

What is the latest Hobo Day in the last 10 years?

Comment

Weather is a lame excuse for not attending. Put on some underarmour, a warm coat, and bring a blanket. If we have a good team and we are playing good teams people will come. Now, that SUU game, 5000 would be great.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
          Weather is a lame excuse for not attending. Put on some underarmour, a warm coat, and bring a blanket. If we have a good team and we are playing good teams people will come.
          That's why my vote is for an earlier Hobo Day. Better weather just makes for a better Hobo Day.
          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

The article on the Gateway Conference in the Argus Leader today said that we would be playing Youngstown State next year which would complete our schedule unless a 12th game is approved.  Does anyone know if it is Sept 8 or Oct 13, our two open dates and whether it is home or away. I would guess Septemper 8 on the road since we have 6 home games already.

Comment

I overheard some people talking at the game today that Montana sent us a check for 50k to buy out of coming here next fall. Anyone confirm that?

Comment

Originally posted by JackTwice
                I overheard some people talking at the game today that Montana sent us a check for 50k to buy out of coming here next fall.  Anyone confirm that?
                This is a rumor that has been around for some time, and for good reason Montana has a history of buying out contracts. It appears the buy out rumor may be true although I have no idea what the dollar amounts are for Montana to buy out our 2 for 1 deal.

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2...day/gday07.txt

Scheduling Griz football no easy beans - From the desk of the AD

By JIM O'DAY for the Missoulian

I'm often asked, “Who are we playing next year?” or, “Why don't we have a football schedule out yet? I'm trying to make plans.”

These are good questions, and demand some explanation. But as any athletic director will tell you, the scheduling process is becoming increasingly more difficult - and is far from an exact science.

At the University of Montana, we are fairly unique - both in a good and bad way. For example, we currently generate net revenues of approximately $300,000 per home game for almost all non-conference games - regardless of the opponent, but depending on the game guarantee paid out to attract these teams to Missoula. . . .

This year, UM was able to attract a Division I-A game at Big 10 powerhouse Iowa. At the ripe price of $650,000, we decided this was a good business decision - and was the largest guarantee paid to a I-AA team. In addition to paying off the $50,000 guarantee originally signed to play Central Washington in Missoula and another $100,000 in expenses traveling to Iowa City, we were able to put $200,000 more into the Griz football program - and still produce the $300,000 necessary to match a home game revenue in WGS. . . .

Most guarantees to I-AA opponents range from $225,000-$350,000. An exception this year was Eastern Washington at West Virginia for $450,000. Youngstown State will also receive $650,000 each of the next two years to play its neighbor, Ohio State.

As we continue to fight escalating costs, and stay within our budgetary guidelines, we will continue to sprinkle some I-A guarantee games into the schedule mix. At the same time, we will also play some Division II opponents. This is for necessity and balance. It will also help us pay our bills - and like any business, that's the bottom line.

In addition, we will look at home-and-home matchups with other I-AA teams, knowing, of course, the cost to fly anywhere in the country via charter (which is necessary out of Missoula) can top $100,000 per trip - even to places such as South Dakota State.

Guarantees paid out by I-AA schools to Division II schools usually range from $50,000-$65,000, while most I-AA schools will command at least $125,000 for a single trip to Missoula. As you can see, this is a true balancing act. . . .

As we look to 2007, the football schedule is almost complete. I can safely say that UM will host conference games Sept. 29 (Homecoming vs. Weber State), Oct. 6 (Eastern Washington), Oct. 20 (Northern Colorado) and Nov. 3 (Portland State). Also, the Griz will open the season at home Sept. 1 against Southern Utah and play Fort Lewis on Sept. 8 in Washington-Grizzly Stadium. With one game left to schedule, it will either take place on Sept. 15 or Sept. 22 - and could be either a home or guarantee game. The other weekend will then be open. . . . (read more)

If in fact Montana is buying out our game, I would be very disappointed in them, but not the least bit surprised. Let’s hope it is just a rumor. :-/

Go State!

Comment

This is part of the reason why I'm fed up with the BS Conference. Does Montana ever expect to get good teams on their schedule if they keep refusing to play a good team away from Missoula? They've done it to Cal-Poly and us (and I'm sure it's happened to some other teams). Idaho State bailed on us this year and I honestly do not expect (nor desire) to ever see a BS Conference team be willing to play in SD. As far as I am concerned, UC-Davis, Cal-Poly, and SUU are the only I-AA teams west of the 100th meridian that we should ever bother to schedule.

This development also makes it more likely that we'll only have a five-game home schedule....on a "brighter" note, would we be eligible to be a I-A "bowl" counter if we're at 63 schollies???

I would rather play USD(d-2) or UNO(d-?) than a BS Conference team......

That said, I'm waiting for Montana to announce that it will host UND or USD(d-2) next September when they should be here.

Comment

The BS conference strikes again. Grow a set and play some teams on the road. I imagine their excuse is something like "we've earned the right to play who we want, where we want to." Well, that philosophy wreaks of sissiness if you ask me.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Is there any rule that says we have to accept a buy out check or can we still force them to play here?

Comment

How did you get Montana at home?

Comment

By signing a 2 and 1 deal with them. That they now want to buy out of.

Comment

I don't care who Montana thinks they are it's bush league to buy out the the game after we fulfilled our 2 games on the road in Missoulia. I hope Idaho State is blacklisted after the BS they pulled this year in football. i believe we already cancelled a basketball game with them which I would assume was some retribution.

Comment

From Stig's comments after the NDSU game:

Montana pulled out, that is disapointing but that is the way they run their program and we are a different program from them.

The Big Sky is not a better conference than the Great West. From here on out, we need to insist on a Home/HOME, with it starting with in Brookings. I would say that no more Big Sky games, especially the MT schools, until they come east first. MT St is bailing on NDSU, and now MT bails on us. Not appopriate to support MT sports.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit
                                From Stig's comments after the NDSU game:

Montana pulled out, that is disapointing but that is the way they run their program and we are a different program from them.

My note:
                                The Big Sky is not a better conference than the Great West.  From here on out, we need to insist on a Home/HOME, with it starting with in Brookings.  I would say that no more Big Sky games, especially the MT schools, until they come east first.  MT St is bailing on NDSU, and now MT bails on us.  Not appopriate to support MT sports.

Comment

Working...
                                X