2007 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2007 Recruits

Does anyone know if we recruit Alabama ? Lot of talk about Hover High School #1 H.S. team in the country. A large portion of their teams has DI commitments already. But the QB has not had any, it has the coach confused. Only thing they can tag is his height. He will play baseball at Alabama if nothing else comes up. I watch him play on Fox's High School game of week last night. Kid looked good, good instincts reacted well under pressure, great athlete. They played 2 time defending champs out of Oklahoma (played in Ok). won by large margin, the QB leads a offense some call basketball on grass (40+ points per game).

Wonder if he would fit our system, plus maybe playing football and baseball could appeal to him.

Comment

http://www.kdlt.com/aotw.htm

Taco John's Athlete of the Week

(Watch Video of Jake Steffen on KDLT site)

Our Taco John's Athlete of the Week is trying to following in the footsteps of a few great football players at Stickney-Mt. Vernon .  

And he's doing it all with his dad as his head coach.

By Jason Anschutz

The quarterback of Stickney-Mt. Vernon's football team leads his teammates by example, which is something he learned to do from a few other people on this 9-man team, including his coach and dad, Myron.

Myron Steffen says, “He's been around the game being my student manager ever since he's been a 5th grader so I think he knows the game pretty well.  And he's been around it and started varsity since 8th grade, so he's got a pretty good head on his shoulders I think."

Coach Steffen says it's not too tough treating his son the same as the rest of the team.  After all he's already been in this situation.

Myron says, “Well, I went through it once before with my son Mike who was recruited pretty heavy and I think I try to approach it like a coach first.”

And that approach seems to be working.

Jake Steffen says, “He's pretty much Coach Steffen.  I stay respected to him.  He treats me just like every other player out there, so it's not a lot different. I love having my dad as a coach.”

Both father and son are trying to lead the Knights back to the Dakota Dome where they came oh, so close to a state championship last year.

The pressure to get back could be enough for any quarterback, but it seems anytime Stickney-Mt. Vernon comes up in conversation, another guy gets brought up as well.

Jake says, “Yeah, I get compared to Chad , but there's nothing wrong with that.  I mean Chad 's a great guy.  As far as the pressure, I don't think it's really there.  I mean, I stay focused and everybody around Mt. Vernon , they still seem to think that, 'Yeah, we got an NFL guy,' but they don't think too highly that it has to happen to everybody.”

Steffen is being recruited to play Division One football right now, although he hasn't made any commitments.  

When he does though, he'll be the third knight in the past six years to play D-1 football.

Even if that isn't the most important thing to him right now.

Jake says, “I'm so focused on the season and you know, I'm not really worried about all the recruiting, so I'm having a ball.”

Just like someone else who gets to go along for the ride.

Comment

With the season done with and area states are close to being done with, I was wondering if anyone has heard anymore about some of the kids that we are out recruiting.

Comment

A few birdies have said there is a QB on the Illini football team that might be transferring to SDSU.

Comment

I was looking at the Elite45 put out by the Argus. There are two lineman that stuck out and hopefully SDSU has already received videos of them.

One is Tyler Lynch of Roosevelt and the other Cory Pelper of Watertown. It says several D1 schools have shown interest in Pelper as he is 270 and 6'6 and whether he has quickness I do not know, but probably does. Our Watertown fans may be able tell us a little more about Cory. Lynch has been a three year starter and looks like an O line man for us.

I suspect Shane Rau from Eureka Bowdle might have a better chance of ending up at SDSU because he is close to Stig's old stumping grounds but if he came to SDSU, he might be a walk on. A kid like him could turn out to be an excellant D1AA player. He had over 1000 yards and average 8.5 yards a carry playing 9 man. It will be interesting to see how many of the Elite 45 end up at SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
              A few birdies have said there is a QB on the Illini football team that might be transferring to SDSU.
              A transfer QB from a I-A school might view SDSU as an attractive option considering SDSU's ranking in the top 25 and the apparent "openness" in the QB derby for next fall.

Comment

Let's be cautious about speculation regarding transfers . . .

On the other hand, Illinois probably does owe us something for taking our basketball guy as a walk-on . . .
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

It seems pretty reasonable that a qb from illinois would transfer, since they have a freshman, juice williams, playing this year. Kind of sucks if you are a sophomore, or even another freshman on that team.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                    Let's be cautious about speculation regarding transfers . . .

On the other hand, Illinois probably does owe us something for taking our basketball guy as a walk-on . . .
                    I usually try to avoid speculation on the subject until I see a media report or the player appears on campus.

After every season, however, some I-A players realize that, for whatever reason (coaching, depth chart, style of play, etc.), staying at their current school is not a preferred option. For most of these players, I-AA is the best option because of a high level of competition and the absence of a transfer penalty. I know that SDSU would never initiate contact with a player that is on scholarship elsewhere.......usually doesn't the player (or a h.s. coach) start the conversation??

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
                      I was looking at the Elite45 put out by the Argus. There are two lineman that stuck out and hopefully SDSU has already received videos of them.

One is Tyler Lynch of Roosevelt and the other Cory Pelper of Watertown. It says several D1 schools have shown interest in Pelper as he is 270 and 6'6 and whether he has quickness I do not know, but probably does. Our Watertown fans may be able tell us a little more about Cory. Lynch has been a three year starter and looks like an O line man for us.

I suspect Shane Rau from Eureka Bowdle might have a better chance of ending up at SDSU because he is close to Stig's old stumping grounds but if he came to SDSU, he might be a walk on. A kid like him could turn out to be an excellant D1AA player. He had over 1000 yards and average 8.5 yards a carry playing 9 man. It will be interesting to see how many of the Elite 45 end up at SDSU.
                      I did not (should say "do not&quot read the Argus except for those articles linked on this message board (and I think the Argus reporter covering SDSU does a nice job).  So, I didn't read about the paper's Elite 45.  The reference made in Haldersham's post can only refer to Josh Pieper of Watertown.  There's no player named Pelper on Watertown's team.  Josh Pieper is 6-6 or 6-7 and 270.  He's quick....tough kid, loves to compete.  He'll be an important part of the basketball team for the Arrows (coached by Jackrabbit Brian Norberg).  On the basketball floor, Josh doesn't do everything but his bulk and toughness makes him do some things well -- like muscle  the ball into the hoop from underneath, often with the elbows of taller players hitting him about the head.

Watertown puts out some tough kids and Stig recognized that with his recruitment of Marty Kranz and Jeff Hegge....they both had outstanding careers at State.  I think with the departure of Kranz and Hegge, Ryan Berry is the only remaining former Arrow on the Jack's squad.  I hope in coming years they can keep some Watertown kids on the roster....easy to draw fans from 42 miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                        [quote author=filbert link=1126384259/15#21 date=1164424982]Let's be cautious about speculation regarding transfers . . .

I usually try to avoid speculation on the subject until I see a media report or the player appears on campus.

After every season, however, some I-A players realize that, for whatever reason (coaching, depth chart, style of play, etc.), staying at their current school is not a preferred option. For most of these players, I-AA is the best option because of a high level of competition and the absence of a transfer penalty. I know that SDSU would never initiate contact with a player that is on scholarship elsewhere.......usually doesn't the player (or a h.s. coach) start the conversation??[/quote]
                        I know one of our coaches recruited him here but he choose the Illini. He redshirted last year and was looking for getting some PT this year but that didn't happen. The word was he contacted the coach that was wanted him here about the look at transferring.

Comment

I've heard the same information from a pretty good source. But obviously things change and it won't be official til we hear a press release because things always change. But obviously he's out there and looking to move. Hopefully IF HE DOES COME he'll be able to make an immediate impact.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                            [quote author=Haldersham link=1126384259/15#19 date=1164411479]I was looking at the Elite45 put out by the Argus. There are two lineman that stuck out and hopefully SDSU has already received videos of them.

I did not (should say "do not&quot read the Argus except for those articles linked on this message board (and I think the Argus reporter covering SDSU does a nice job).  So, I didn't read about the paper's Elite 45.  The reference made in Haldersham's post can only refer to Josh Pieper of Watertown.  There's no player named Pelper on Watertown's team.  Josh Pieper is 6-6 or 6-7 and 270.  He's quick....tough kid, loves to compete.  He'll be an important part of the basketball team for the Arrows (coached by Jackrabbit Brian Norberg).  On the basketball floor, Josh doesn't do everything but his bulk and toughness makes him do some things well -- like muscle  the ball into the hoop from underneath, often with the elbows of taller players hitting him about the head.

Watertown puts out some tough kids and Stig recognized that with his recruitment of Marty Kranz and Jeff Hegge....they both had outstanding careers at State.  I think with the departure of Kranz and Hegge, Ryan Berry is the only remaining former Arrow on the Jack's squad.  I hope in coming years they can keep some Watertown kids on the roster....easy to draw fans from 42 miles away.[/quote]

JackJD:

I went back to the Argus Elite 45 which I downloaded in Adobe format and apparently the ARGUS printed his name incorrectly in bold at the the top of his bio sketch and I looked like an L to me and further into the bio sketch they spelled his name P-i-e-p-e-r. I assumed it was an L and apologize for the incorrect interpretation. None-the-less Josh looks like a fine recruit and hopefully he will be playing for the Jacks. Yes Watertown has produced two dandys in Hesse and Kranz.

Comment

Haldersham: I suspected the spelling error was the Argus's, not yours. That's why I pointed out I do not read the Argus. In any event, Josh Pieper is a tough kid, has the size, and may have the ability to play at the Jackrabbit's level. I have no idea what Josh's plans are or whether there's interest by the coaching staff. I'm sure the coaches are aware of Josh.

One kid to watch at Watertown is Josh Hanson. He's just a junior and quarterbacked the Arrows to a successful season but his real talent and possibly his best position for college is as a placekicker. He's deadly accurate and has plenty of leg.

Comment

Another for Stig. to work on is Dale Moss from Brandon Valley.  He signed his LOI for basketball earlier this month, but he could definitely help the football team at reciever as well.  I would love to see him play both, if that is allowed/possible.
                                One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Working...
                                X