X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pride won't play at November games?

So goon,

What I hear you saying is that "The Pride of the Dakotas" doesn't need any stinking football games (I guess they are doing us a favor when they choose to show up) and doesn't need any alumni support.  Is that your main point?  If so I think you are very very wrong.

Take away the football games and who will be the audience for "The Pride of the Dakotas"?  Do you suppose that the audience that the football games provide may include people who lend their support to the Pride?  How much money does the band generate with their "Park for the Pride" program?  Oh but I forgot, goon told us that the Pride doesn’t need our contributions.

I'm getting a little fed up with the arrogance of some in the band and that is sad.  I have always been very proud of "The Pride of the Dakotas" and happy to support them.  However, if they only want to be at the games that are convenient for them then maybe they should skip the season as a whole.

I'm sorry I thought "The Pride of the Dakotas" was a marching band.  I had no idea that they don't like to play if it is too hot, or too cold, or they might get dirty.  I understand that Mr. Jim Coull is the Director of a band that never has to worry about those sorts of issues because they play inside, it is called the Concert Band.

The Pride should be at EVERY football game (that school is in) EVERY year at least that is my opinion.

Finally contrary to what goon is apparently telling us it does look like the band is asking for our support.  With that in mind perhaps the director and some members of the band should be cognitive of where their support will come from.

http://www.sdsufoundation.org/sdsu.aspx?pgID=934

Go State!  

Comment

89 you nailed it. This is VERY dissappointing. I think there will be a very negative backlash toward the Pride if they dont show. Marching band was created because of football for football. There would be no marching band if it werent for football. Dont get me wrong, Im not saying that the Pride is subservient to football but the two are tied together.

If the pride doesnt show I really hope the NDSU band does to show them up. I for one will be giving them a standing ovation.

Comment

As a former Pride member, I'm a little concerned about all the crap that's getting slung around.

Now, I'm all for a good and juicy rumor like anyone else on here, but is there actual, documented PROOF that the Pride won't be playing at the NDSU game? Is there an honest-to-goodness schedule out already (kind of unlikely since not all the freshmen have signed up yet) or is this just something that someone's kid sister's roommate's second-cousin's best friend overheard at the Safari Lounge?

If it's documented, then we can certainly criticize the decision. If not, then perhaps we ought to back off and not say things we'll later regret. Makes sense, don't you think?
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1
          As a former Pride member, I'm a little concerned about all the crap that's getting slung around.

Now, I'm all for a good and juicy rumor like anyone else on here, but is there actual, documented PROOF that the Pride won't be playing at the NDSU game? Is there an honest-to-goodness schedule out already (kind of unlikely since not all the freshmen have signed up yet) or is this just something that someone's kid sister's roommate's second-cousin's best friend overheard at the Safari Lounge?

If it's documented, then we can certainly criticize the decision. If not, then perhaps we ought to back off and not say things we'll later regret. Makes sense, don't you think?

Has the PRIDE ever played a November game in the last 20 years?

If so, jackrabit1 is right, no use in the mudslinging.

If they have not, in my opinion the topic is fair-game.

Go Jacks!!
          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

We have to change the mindset that the football season ends in October or after Hobo Day which is early this year. We need to have the right formula of a winning football team, strong facilities, the right strategic marketing plan to students and fans and yes the Pride playing. I'm tired of seeing the less than 5,000 person crowds in November regardless of who the opponent is or what the weather is doing. NDSU should be a sell out, but we will not have them at home every November.

Comment

Which is why we shouldn't be jumping to conclusions unless there's some hard proof which says the Pride will or will not play the NDSU game.

Should the band have the NDSU game scheduled this fall, a lot of people on here are going to have egg on their faces. And there's going to be a lot of hard feelings. I'm just trying to put the kibosh on that.
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                So goon,

What I hear you saying is that "The Pride of the Dakotas" doesn't need any stinking football games (I guess they are doing us a favor when they choose to show up) and doesn't need any alumni support.  Is that your main point?  If so I think you are very very wrong.

Take away the football games and who will be the audience for "The Pride of the Dakotas"?  Do you suppose that the audience that the football games provide may include people who lend their support to the Pride?  How much money does the band generate with their "Park for the Pride" program?  Oh but I forgot, goon told us that the Pride doesn’t need our contributions.

I'm getting a little fed up with the arrogance of some in the band and that is sad.  I have always been very proud of "The Pride of the Dakotas" and happy to support them.  However, if they only want to be at the games that are convenient for them then maybe they should skip the season as a whole.

I'm sorry I thought "The Pride of the Dakotas" was a marching band.  I had no idea that they don't like to play if it is too hot, or too cold, or they might get dirty.  I understand that Mr. Jim Coull is the Director of a band that never has to worry about those sorts of issues because they play inside, it is called the Concert Band.

The Pride should be at EVERY football game (that school is in) EVERY year at least that is my opinion.

Finally contrary to what goon is apparently telling us it does look like the band is asking for our support.  With that in mind perhaps the director and some members of the band should be cognitive of where their support will come from.

http://www.sdsufoundation.org/sdsu.aspx?pgID=934

Go State!  

Where did i say that they dont need football games? Its sad the view some on this website have if something doesnt happen exactly the way they want they think its wrong. Im all for having people post their opinions and view and information they know in regards to SDSU, but the attitude we all have has to go. Yeah i was in the band, along with a lot of other stuff at SDSU and well the last few years did we ever play the last game of the year? no, we didnt. I dont recall hearing people complain about us not playing in previous years.

People act like the band is the only one who doesnt show up for games late in the year. Look at attendance figures. most years after hobo days and in Nov fewer fans show up also. maybe if the fans would continually show up to games late in the year no matter who we play, maybe the band would also.

Its very shallow thinking that marching bands are only in existance because of football. Its because of parades like the rose bowl that help keep a marching band program strong. Its not a convience that they are not playing that game. why dont people here understand they dont play the last game of the year. I wish they would play but if they dont its not like its the first year they never played the last game of the year.

Every school group needs support. Its not just the band I dont think i said that the band doesnt need help, maybe i was not clear. I will proudly support the marching band for what it does, the quality of the shows it does and how well it represents SDSU and the state of south dakota. where in the last 10 years has any school orginazition or sports team had the opertunity that they marching has had with this kind of publicity that being in the rose bowl has for the band? hundreds of millions of viewers will see the band.

"The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

And on that note.............somebody kill this thread.
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by goon
                    [quote author=89rabbit link=1179351991/45#45 date=1181047483]Its very shallow thinking that marching bands are only in existance because of football.  Its because of parades like the rose bowl that help keep a marching band program strong.
                    You mean the same Rose Bowl parade that's only in existence because of the Rose Bowl football game? Just saying...

Comment

Can't we all just get along. Seriously, we are all SDSU backers, except for the few drive by crackpots on the board. Let the Pride have the benefit of the doubt for now, maybe they will play, maybe they won't, but until we know for sure it's all pure speculation. Also, band boosters give some of us some credit. I could care less to see the band marching on the field at halftime in November. What the band does bring is an added level of energy to the crowd. So merely having the Pride in the stands playing during the game is a good thing. Get over yourselves if you think everyone want to see them marching at halftime.
                      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

My kids want two things on a football Saturday at CAS!

1. To see the rabbit.

2. To watch The Pride at halftime.

I hope I don't have to answer the question about why the band isn't there! Agreed that we need to back off for now and wait until it is known for sure if they are playing.

The Pride is a big part of a football Saturday to me. They are fantastic and I stay in at halftime to watch them perform. If they weren't there, poof, off to the tailgate and a refreshing beverage in hand! The sky isn't going to fall but it would be dissapointing and odd if they weren't there for the biggest game of the year!

I'm sure it will get worked out and cooler heads will prevail! Let's enjoy the summer weather for a while before we start worrying about whether or not The Pride plays in November!

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I agree maybe we should all calm down. The Pride is a big asset to SDSU and so is the football team. I think amongst fans we seem to be so conditioned to the thought that Jackrabbit Football season ends on Halloween. Maybe its because we last won the NCC in 1963, and last appeared in the D2 playoffs in 1979. We are not used to November home games, but they are going to be a big part of the future and with playoff opportunities the season could last longer. So its a new adjustment for everyone.

I was impressed with the SDSU turnout in Fargo on Nov 18th last year. It was a day even in Fargo where the game could have been played outdoors even at the same time it was played in the FargoDome. The weather was very decent and who is not to say that would happen again in the future.

I can understand McKinney's view too, in that he takes his work very serious. In this day age we cant fault people who insist in quality, meaning the Pride if they appear must be in uniform.

I myself would be satisfied if they grabbed just a few tubas and what have you and made it into a pep band with the musicians appearing in street clothes and wearing parkas and what have you to keep warm like the rest of the fans. I think this would be better than nothing. I think being present and contibuting music is really all the fans would be looking for in November. I certainly would be expecting a preview of the Rose Bowl parade or any other performance scheduled along the way. I enjoy the half time shows, but if one is not done each game, its not a big deal in my mind. When you get my age, you start to have bladder issues and I will darned if I going to wet my pants just to watch the Pride, it does not happen in my case.

At any rate, our adminstration is in very capable hands. I think we will be able to work all these things out. I detest hearing Ring the Bell over the PA system.

Comment

I know people probably don't mind an outsider's input on this, and what the hey, I've got a few thoughts and a day off:

There's an easy solution to all this that benefits everyone. SDSU and Brookings need to work together to create another Hobo Days-type game in November. Make it a destination event. The seasons at I-AA/FCS are going to be longer, and (I'm sure you guys hope) the games become even more important. Why not drum up some major sponsorship to create a new celebration which features a parade downtown in the morning, the football game after (the parade trail can even lead to the stadium) and then a basketball doubleheader or a Friday-Saturday or Saturday-Sunday preseason tourney) and a major band concert on the Sunday afternoon and an alumni reunion that weekend?

Everyone wins - businesses get more foot traffic from a parade and weekend visitors, SDSU increases its crowd size, the hoops teams get early-season home games, the band gets a showcase event. Get the city's arts council involved. Maybe even tie it in with Veterans Day. Or Midnight Madness, even if it's too early in the season. Whatever. I know they somewhat do this now with the Warren Williamson open, but football and hoops steer the ship in D-I -- they need to be a priority financially to get the $ to keep other sports thriving. Hopefully something like this could change some of the long-held attitudes SD fans (everywhere in the state) have to skip out on late-season games. But this is what happens in Division I -- I don't think anyone at Arkansas or LSU complain about playing the SEC Championship game in early December, and Michigan-Ohio State is usually that first or second weekend in November.

And not to incite a riot....but:
                            There is no question that bands add to college football atmosphere immensely. Games wouldn't be the same without them. And The Pride is a decent band, no doubt. But everywhere I've been, college bandies have this arrogance that 10,000, 20,000 or 80-to-100,000 people inside a stadium are there to see them. No offense, but a) I've never seen a major television network pony up the cash they do to broadcast college football games to show marching bands; and b) the bands' halftime shows aren't shown during the telecast. Yes, you all bust your humps, but you need to get over yourselves a bit. And to the Pride, you're pretty good for a small-school band, but you aren't as exciting as the Ohio State band dotting the I, and you don't produce the big-spectacle halftime shows of SEC bands. No one's paying $50-$100 a ticket they for a big game to only watch the college band. I don't know anyone who has dropped $300 from brokers/scalpers to hit up the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. My high school band is as big as the Pride and has been to the Rose Bowl parade twice in the last decade, but they were still braving the 20 degree cold late last October when I went to catch a game for the first time in almost 15 years with a Jan. 1 Rose Bowl parade ahead of them.

Oh, and band peeps, when USD and SDSU eventually end up in a conference together again and that game is going to be played in November -- and I guarantee you it probably will the way D-I scheduling works out -- you mean to tell me you're going to skip that?

And while I'm on the rant and no one's safe, one for the athletic dept.: Stop playing home football games on the Pheasant Opener. Seriously. Everyone knows that it kills attendance. Tell your new conference partners you want your bye week then or you need to arrange the schedule to play on the road. Just a thought that I'm sure people making a lot more money than me have already discussed in comfortable office confines.

That's all for a while. I'll retreat back into my quiet solitude.

Comment

Posted by: sfsd

There's an easy solution to all this that benefits everyone. SDSU and Brookings need to work together to create another Hobo Days-type game in November. Make it a destination event. The seasons at I-AA/FCS are going to be longer, and (I'm sure you guys hope) the games become even more important. Why not drum up some major sponsorship to create a new celebration which features a parade downtown in the morning, the football game after (the parade trail can even lead to the stadium) and then a basketball doubleheader or a Friday-Saturday or Saturday-Sunday preseason tourney) and a major band concert on the Sunday afternoon and an alumni reunion that weekend?
                              I think your idea is a good one but not for the North Dakota State game. It's THE rivalry game and there will be a good crowd there whether or not the weather is cold, The Pride plays, or if it isn't for the GWFC championship. If you are going to promote an event like that, the $$$ would be better spent trying to make another game into a larger event.

My belief is that there is going to be a GREAT crowd at this game! Football is definitely on the rise at SDSU and the fans are doing a much better job of supporting the team!

GREAT IDEA, out of the box sfsd, that's what is needed!

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Here's a thought. If the Pride truly cant make it......an Alumni band. Im sure there are a ton of former Pride who would love to have reserved seats and dig out the horn one more time at a great game.

Comment

Working...
                                X