Football's future upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Football's future upgrades

The Fargodome IS on NDSU property.  Therefore no sales of alchohol are allowed at any NCAA sanctioned events.  IMHO, there is no need for beer or whatever to be sold at games.  Don't get me wrong, I like a few cold ones but there is plenty of time before/after for this.  It will only cause problems.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD
      [quote author=BTownJack link=1165242043/30#43 date=1165437198]South Dakota Law or not...I don't believe SDSU would sell alcholoic beverages based on the fact we don't sell it in SF at the Canaries stadium.  I guess that was the point I was trying to get across.  
      I agree.  And I think a good policy.  An educational institution should not get into the business of promoting alcoholic beverages particularily tied to their athletic programs. [/quote]

I agree too!  I have never found that any alcoholic beverage enhances my spectator experience at an athletic event.  I used to have season tickets to the local minor league basketball team and the beer drinking in my section was certainly a distraction and detraction from the event.

In addition, athletic events are an appropriate venue for recruiting of future students.  The promotion of alcoholic beverages and recruiting future students are not consistent goals.

On the other hand, if it becomes necessary to sell alcoholic beverages it most certainly should be resricted to certain sections, such as the end zones.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bizon1
        The Fargodome IS on NDSU property.  Therefore no sales of alchohol are allowed at any NCAA sanctioned events.  IMHO, there is no need for beer or whatever to be sold at games.  Don't get me wrong, I like a few cold ones but there is plenty of time before/after for this.  It will only cause problems.

The only NCAA sanctioned events are the NCAA playoffs

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
          If you're not willing to face the elements then you should be a basketball fan. If SDSU ever gets a Dome I will stop going to SDSU football games. Football is a man's game and watching it outdoors takes a real man not sissies like down in Vermintown.
          Perhaps.

You sound exactly like the 5k or so diehard NDSU fans who probably swore that if NDSU agreed to play in the proposed Fargodome, they'd quit going to games.

Attendance wasn't bad at Dacotah, but it could've never reached the level it's getting to now in the Dome.

There's something about sub zero temperatures and 40 mph winds that keeps the non diehards at home.

And appealing to the non diehards is going to be SDSU's only possible way to consistantly reach 20k attendance, if that is your goal. Esp. because of your situation of being located in Brookings.

Non diehards are not going to drive all the way from Sioux Falls just to sit out in the cold and wind.

That said, it would probably be a pipe dream to build a dome at SDSU now. You should've done it when USD and NDSU were doing it, if you were going to do it.

I think the best thing you came hope for in the immediate future is new artificial turf and a new football facility located in one of the end zones. Something with lockers, weights, coach's offices, and some suites.

Comment

Well with global warming, domes will not be needed. :-/

Comment

SDSU does not need a dome because the only thing that they could get any support of is something like vermillion and if you ask 95% of people that isnt a real dome. With USD going D-1 they are going to have to build a new Basketball/volleyball arena. With them getting that sdsu needs to be there saying we need a building in one of the endzones. with full lockerrooms, video/meeting rooms, weight rooms with box suites on top. They need to put artificial turf on the field and upgrade the stadium all around.

Right now what is the capacity at cas?? I know they had like close to 15,000 at hobo days and had there biggest non hobo day crowd at the beef bowl this year.

Comment

I'm just thinking in the long term.

What is SDSU's long term average attendance goal?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
                  SDSU does not need a dome because the only thing that they could get any support of is something like vermillion and if you ask 95% of people that isnt a real dome. With USD going D-1 they are going to have to build a new Basketball/volleyball arena. With them getting that sdsu needs to be there saying we need a building in one of the endzones. with full lockerrooms, video/meeting rooms, weight rooms with box suites on top. They need to put artificial turf on the field and upgrade the stadium all around.

Right now what is the capacity at cas?? I know they had like close to 15,000 at hobo days and had there biggest non hobo day crowd at the beef bowl this year.
                  Everything except the box suites you mention are, in fact planned. The box suites will be in the new press box, by the way, not in the Student-Athlete Development center that's planned on the north side of Coughlin-Alumni.

Coughlin-Alumni is listed at seating 16,000. With the planned renovation, it would be about the same size, with the potential of enclosing the south end zone to get to something north of 20,000.

I have no inside info on this point, but I'd say that a good near-term goal for average attendance at SDSU football games would be 12,000.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

NDSU was averaging 12k at Dacotah in the late 80's early 90's I believe. I'm sure there were at least 100k in Fargo, West Fargo, and Moorhead at that time within 5 miles from the stadium, though.

It'll be interesting to see if SDSU can get 10k from Sioux Falls to come sit out in the cold and wind when Vermilion offers an enclosed, heated environment at the same distance, just south instead of north.

Comment

Originally posted by 2006gwfcchamps
                      It'll be interesting to see if SDSU can get 10k from Sioux Falls to come sit out in the cold and wind when Vermilion offers an enclosed, heated environment at the same distance, just south instead of north.
                      Actually, there's nothing to see. That dome dump has been around for 20+ years, and SDSU has outdrawn usd for most, if not all, of them.
                      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

It'll take some awfully creative math for USD to seat anything over 7 or 8 grand in the dump.

Comment

Let's back off the D-dome bashing (or take it to smack), OK?
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Has your administration asked your students to vote to raise student fees to help facility upgrades? It might help. That's what UNC did a couple years ago. The students voted on two things. First is immediate upgrades that went to what needed the most. It helped make new practice fields for the football team (the best in the Big SKy according to MU's Hauck), a new team house for our football team which will be added this spring. It renovated Butler Hanckock for basketball. We built a new facility for the soccer team and expanded our student rec center.
                            The second part of the ballot asked for an increase in money that will go towards traveling for recruiting. Both measures passed.
                            The AD caught some flack because some didn't want to be "taxed" but it shows most students are behind our sports. They also might take some pride in having "ownership" and might enjoy the games more.
                            Maybe some of your boosters might bring this up to your AD?

Comment

uncbearsfan, Student fees cannot be increased at SDSU to pay for atheltic facility upgrades nor new D-I expenses. The amount of student fees per credit hour dedicated towards atheltics can only be increased to cover inflation. This was part of the stipulations that SDSU (and now USD) received when the Board of Regents approved the move to Division I.

http://www.sdbor.edu/publications/do...6Division1.pdf

Part of the BoR press release when it approved USD's move to D-I:

Support for intercollegiate athletics from the student general activity fee may only increase at the
                              fee’s annual rate of inflation, as determined by the regents. Additionally, general fund support
                              for salaries, benefits, or operational expenses may only increase at rates equivalent to what is
                              otherwise appropriated for the universities’ base budgets. “This provision limits increases in
                              student fees and state funding to the regular, ongoing costs of operating the institutions,
                              regardless of athletic classification,” Jewett said.
                              The board’s policy states that the proportion of general activity fees allocated to athletic facilities
                              at the time an institution is approved for Division I status may not be increased to fund new or
                              expanded athletic and support facilities. Monies from the state’s Higher Education Facilities
                              Fund also may not be used to fund or maintain new or expanded athletic and support facilities.

Comment

Does that pertain to activity fees or is it the samething, or different?

If students can vote to raise fees for the student Union and new rec center, why not, if on their own iniative, raise say their activity fees to go toward the athletic department and perhaps an expanded intramurals program?

Comment

Working...
                                X