Football's future upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Football's future upgrades

It seems like sitting on the west side is actually a hardship for the band. It's like loading and unloading a wide-body airliner for them to get into and out of their seats with their instruments and then exit through ONE exit, work their way under the grandstand and then across the field for their halftime show. Their access to the field would be much easier from the east side. The bulk of the fans could hear them better. And the athletic department could sell those $15 seats on the main grandstand.

The Pride would actually get MORE attention if they were on the east side. And they'd be playing directly behind the opponents' bench instead of ours. I think that having 450 Pride members behind their bench would be intimidating for opponents.

I'm a fan of the Pride. They're great ambassadors for SDSU, and what educator in this day and age wouldn't love seeing 450 kids who have a passion for what they do? We need more young people like that. I'm just asking if it wouldn't make for a better event all around, for fans and student athletes and members of the Pride, if they were on the other side.
    Last edited by JimmyJack; 10-25-2007, 01:59 PM.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I'm a student, and as much as I don't like sitting on the east because of the sun, I think it might be better to have the students on the east. This goes along with having the band on the east side also, causing more noise directly behind the opponents bench. This causes intimidation. Of course this does take away visitor seating, which could be problem unless there were some GA's left on the west side.

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
        I'm a student, and as much as I don't like sitting on the east because of the sun, I think it might be better to have the students on the east. This goes along with having the band on the east side also, causing more noise directly behind the opponents bench. This causes intimidation. Of course this does take away visitor seating, which could be problem unless there were some GA's left on the west side.
        At Youngstown, the students were behind SDSU's bench. It was loud and intimidating. I don't know how the players felt (they seemed to do just fine, despite the noise) but there is something to having a noisy contingent right behind you all the time.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I am a huge Pride fan, and this seems like a good idea to me. I hope it wouldn't be taken as an insult.

In thinking about it, it does seem to make sense to have students and The Pride on the east. But it leaves very little room for general admission seats. I'm not so worried about visitors' seating because 1) they are the visitors and 2) we only set aside one section for them as is. A lack of general admission seats, though, could be a concern.

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          It seems like sitting on the west side is actually a hardship for the band. It's like loading and unloading a wide-body airliner for them to get into and out of their seats with their instruments and then exit through ONE exit, work their way under the grandstand and then across the field for their halftime show. Their access to the field would be much easier from the east side. The bulk of the fans could hear them better. And the athletic department could sell those $15 seats on the main grandstand.

The Pride would actually get MORE attention if they were on the east side. And they'd be playing directly behind the opponents' bench instead of ours. I think that having 450 Pride members behind their bench would be intimidating for opponents.

I'm a fan of the Pride. They're great ambassadors for SDSU, and what educator in this day and age wouldn't love 450 kids who have a passion for what they do. We need more young people like that. I'm just asking if it wouldn't make for a better event all around, for fans and student athletes and members of the Pride, if they were on the other side.
          Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

One idea would be to make the last section on each side of the West Grandstand GA seating. Since the students and the pride would be gone there would be 2 sections of seating open on the West side.

I kind of like the idea of the pride being in the middle of the east bleachers and students on each side of them. Some fun could be had over there. If I understand correctly moving the pride to the east side has been proposed to their leadership. Not too sure of the reply, but one would guess that since they haven't moved they weren't too fond of it for one reason or another.
            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
              One idea would be to make the last section on each side of the West Grandstand GA seating. Since the students and the pride would be gone there would be 2 sections of seating open on the West side.

I kind of like the idea of the pride being in the middle of the east bleachers and students on each side of them. Some fun could be had over there. If I understand correctly moving the pride to the east side has been proposed to their leadership. Not too sure of the reply, but one would guess that since they haven't moved they weren't too fond of it for one reason or another.
              My guess its a sound/performance issue in that on the east side you would be very spread out, with some instruments, say trumpets on one end, and others say flutes, on the opposite end and therefore the sound doesnt "blend". Also might have difficult sight lines for the band members in seeing/hearing the band director(s). Again, just a guess, some of the former Pride members might want to comment.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
                My guess its a sound/performance issue in that on the east side you would be very spread out, with some instruments, say trumpets on one end, and others say flutes, on the opposite end and therefore the sound doesnt "blend". Also might have difficult sight lines for the band members in seeing/hearing the band director(s). Again, just a guess, some of the former Pride members might want to comment.
                My friend is in a band and I help set up and when playing street dances or anything you have to be careful of whats ahead of you also... with a grandstand of that side you can get a bad echo effect from some instruments and none from others... I don't know if that is the case or not at SDSU but it could be a possibility....

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
                  Good points.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I am a former band member, and after being in the pride for many years and I think after the new east side grandstand is built that it would be best for the band and or the student section to go over to that side. It gives us more room and more good seats to sell on the home grandstand side and it would make the band sound a lot louder if we were playing towards the stands instead of away from them. how the stands are now it would not give enough room and it would spread the band to long so I would not want to see the band on the opposing side untill there are new grandstands that are big enough. which sounds like its part of the plan to increase the east side, so then I am all for it.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

The band sounds pretty good when they are spread across the football field.
                      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        My friend is in a band and I help set up and when playing street dances or anything you have to be careful of whats ahead of you also... with a grandstand of that side you can get a bad echo effect from some instruments and none from others... I don't know if that is the case or not at SDSU but it could be a possibility....

Except that most big schools have their bands play inside an enclosed stadium and don't seem to have a problem with the echo effect. I think it comes into play, but not much. I think the bigger issue, as already stated, is that they would need to spread the band out which would affect the dynamics and sound composition.
                        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I remember when the pride played at HW in 05, and there was a lot of noise reflecting between the two structures, depending on where you were standing. It didn't seem like there was noise overlap or anything, it just sounded like the band was on the opposite side of the field from where they actually were. From what I remember, the band was towards the far left side of the home side grandstand. So if you were on the far right side of the home side grandstand, it sounded like all the noise was coming from the visitor's side grandstand. I'm assuming you potentially may have the same issue at coughlin once the east side grandstand is built. Of course, that could probably be solved by centering the pride rather than putting them on the far left or far right.

Comment

I know when my high school played at the Dakota Dump for state football we had to practice alot with dealing with the echo I know that a college band should have no problems with figuring it out but one option is to put them behind one of the endzones the only problem with that is a lot of people like to watch the games from the endzones....

Comment

I think I've figured out why we haven't upgraded our stadium seating for 50 years. The Pride hasn't signed off on any stadium designs, all have been due to the potential for poor acoustics.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE View Post
                                I think I've figured out why we haven't upgraded our stadium seating for 50 years. The Pride hasn't signed off on any stadium designs, all have been due to the potential for poor acoustics.

Ladies and Gentlemen...WE HAVE REP POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Working...
                                X