Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Football's future upgrades

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    I do realize that and appreciate his support, but if everyone posted every thing heard over coffee or what some one speculates as true, I think the moderators would have their hands full. We know football upgrades are coming, but we have no knowledge of when and who the major donars are. I think we need to be careful about what we say and as I said Joe seems to be often looking for a reaction based on rumor or something he heard in Rapid or Pumkin Center or where ever he frequents. Its difficult to not respond.
    I just think it is funny that anybody can come on here and mention something but when I do it people decide to harp on me..... People were bringing up names nothing was wrong but when I bring one up it becomes a bash joeboo session and I don't think anybody can disagree with that... What is sad that a bunch of you have to team up and give each other rep points over the deal..... I floated a name I had heard it from quite a few people not just in the pumkin patch or in Rapid City... I had heard it from people that go to college in Brookings I had heard it from people associated with SDSU.... I again wonder what the use of a forum is if we can not float rumors I understand when floating rumors with kids and recruiting but this is a lot different there has been a big donation or a few big donations and I think it is fair to speculate.... I know I am going to get bashed for this again....

AND NEVER EVER EVER CALL ME A TROLL I MAY NOT GO TO COLLEGE AT SDSU BUT HOW MANY PEOPLE BLEED DUKE BLUE OR CAROLINA BLUE AND HAVE NEVER STEPPED FOOT INTO NORTH CAROLINA?????

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      I just think it is funny that anybody can come on here and mention something but when I do it people decide to harp on me..... People were bringing up names nothing was wrong but when I bring one up it becomes a bash joeboo session and I don't think anybody can disagree with that... What is sad that a bunch of you have to team up and give each other rep points over the deal..... I floated a name I had heard it from quite a few people not just in the pumkin patch or in Rapid City... I had heard it from people that go to college in Brookings I had heard it from people associated with SDSU.... I again wonder what the use of a forum is if we can not float rumors I understand when floating rumors with kids and recruiting but this is a lot different there has been a big donation or a few big donations and I think it is fair to speculate.... I know I am going to get bashed for this again....

AND NEVER EVER EVER CALL ME A TROLL I MAY NOT GO TO COLLEGE AT SDSU BUT HOW MANY PEOPLE BLEED DUKE BLUE OR CAROLINA BLUE AND HAVE NEVER STEPPED FOOT INTO NORTH CAROLINA?????
      Stick with it, joeboo. I'm glad you're a Jacks fan. Keep posting and don't worry too much if we jump down your throat. We're all friends here.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

JB,
        While you have taken more shots than most, we have all taken some. Keep posting.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

It seems to me that we want more fans like Joeboo22, who grew up listening to the Jacks on WNAX and while he didn't go to SDSU, he still follows the Rabbits.

It's possible to attend some other school in SD (or elsewhere), or attend no school at all, and still be a fan of SDSU. This is new and different for almost everyone, as some folks can't quite get their minds around the concept of rooting for, say, USF, Augie, AND SDSU, all at their respective levels of competition.

USF's new facility is great. Augie's plans for an on-campus stadium are great. SDSU's long-range vision for D-I-caliber athletic facilities is coming together nicely, too. (Paragraph included in a lame attempt to stay on topic).

The good old days of SDSU being Brookings' school, Northern being Aberdeen's school, DWU being Mitchell's school, BHSU being the northern Hills' school, Mines being Rapid City's school, etc., etc., are going away. SDSU now, and USD soon, will be representing the entire state at the D-I level. This is something that South Dakota has never seen before. It will be a while before it catches on the way that say Montana and Montana State have caught on, or the way NDSU and UND did for years (having the D-II terrain in ND to themselves in a way SDSU and USD never really did).

So Joeboo22 has the honor of being one of the first of a new breed of Jackrabbit fan--one with no direct ties to SDSU other than being from the state, and following the Jacks as a kid growing up. We need many more like him.

OK, well, not EXACTLY like him . . . ( to Joeboo22)
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

[QUOTE=JimmyJack;65988]Haven't we covered this progression already? The plan as I have heard it is:

1. Build the SADC.
            2. Build the rest of the SADC. Wait a few years until money can be found to continue.
            3. New 8,000-seat grandstand on the east side, replacing the temporary seats. Leave the old grandstand in place while that happens.
            4. Tear down the old grandstand, and build another 8,000-seat west grandstand including a new press box.

Voila. New stadium. Of course the timing of all of that depends on fundraising, etc.

QUOTE]

I agree with the phases, but it seems to be a little off if you looking for revenue, IMO. I agree with number one but after that I would probably change the order around.
            My phases as followed:
            1: Build the SADC
            2: Build the West Grand Stand
            3: Build the East Grand Stand
            4: Build the expansion to the SADC

1: Very much a need for Football. SDSU doesn't have a facility like this at all. To have an athletic department only facility to me is the number one thing to help with recruiting, coaching, team development, football alumni cultivation/ fellowship. If only the football part of the facility can be built, then start with football. I only hope we do not take a title IX hit. But I am confident it would not be an issue.

2: I think the building the West grandstand should be second (unless the east one is structurally unsafe). I envision The West Grand Stand will be 8000 (hopefully 10,000 b/c it can’t cost much more) and include a press box. I am assuming this will include chair back seating, ADA accessibility, press box (restrooms, updated media technology, elevator or lift for video equipment, restroom, staging area for media and catering and yes restrooms) and suites. ADA is self explanatory (I hope), chair back seating will increase revenue with ticket sales (season and game day sales), press box to keep the media, happy and comfortable. Television “ready” (revenue/ marketing source) T.V. will happen and having the ability to "plug in" the television production is functionally better than running cable to all your camera and back to the production truck. Sky box and corporate suites another revenue stream SDSU is not utilizing. The revenue from the chair back seating and suits could in turn help fund phases 3 and 4.

3. The east side should be done next to ensure our stadium has the look of a stadium and two sets of bleachers around a football field. I am assuming the east side will have the amenities (restrooms and concessions). It has been stated the east side could become the student section and GA. If so, there is not a lot of new revenue potential. Add the band over on east side and even less revenue is available.

4. If you can't finish this building initially than I think should go on the back burner until a new donor or donors are identified. The building itself will allow SDSU functionality for football and football needs to be a priority. If a campaign is needed to finish it fine, but do as part of the field house’s capital campaign.

The wild card in all this expansion it the turf, if it is decided to go with some sort of artificial surface incorporating it into the other phases might be difficult.
            We...ARE...STATE!
            SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

BTW, has it ever been determined what the seating capacity of the current West grand stand is?
              We...ARE...STATE!
              SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

I agree, Filbert. Keep stirring the pot and cheering for the Jacks, Joeboo. The more chatter, the more interest, which hopefully translates to more donations and faster improvements to the stadium complex. Everyone should be welcome on the SDSU bandwagon, regardless of whether they have a direct tie to the school or where they live.
                This space for lease.

Comment

I agree with everything except the fact that I think some how you need to identify a student section I am not sure how to do that with chair back seats... I would like some how to have 10 rows or something like that as the student section then have a walk way and then have the chair back seats... walk way gives the break needed so the chair back seats view is not effected by the student section

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
                    BTW, has it ever been determined what the seating capacity of the current West grand stand is?
                    It's about 8,000... but a huge chunk is taken up by the band. They take up way more than 450 seats. I've always wondered why they're not on the other side. It would make it easier to get onto the field for their performance so they wouldn't have to walk out with 10 minutes left in the second quarter, the main part of the crowd could hear them better, and those main grandstand seats (I'm guessing they take up 800 or 1,000 with their instruments) are more valuable and could be sold to paying customers.

Of course it won't be a problem any more this year. They're not playing at either of the final two home games.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
                      The west side is actually about 9,300 (I have a little insider info on that)
                      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                        It's about 8,000... but a huge chunk is taken up by the band. They take up way more than 450 seats. I've always wondered why they're not on the other side. It would make it easier to get onto the field for their performance so they wouldn't have to walk out with 10 minutes left in the second quarter, the main part of the crowd could hear them better, and those main grandstand seats (I'm guessing they take up 800 or 1,000 with their instruments) are more valuable and could be sold to paying customers.

Of course it won't be a problem any more this year. They're not playing at either of the final two home games.

JimmyJack, do you know this for sure?

Man, I really don't want to go on a rant about this, but I think it's time for the new President to step in if this is in fact true.

Go Jacks!!
                        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                          JimmyJack, do you know this for sure?

Man, I really don't want to go on a rant about this, but I think it's time for the new President to step in if this is in fact true.

Go Jacks!!
                          This is true. Friend in the band said they need all the time to practice for the Rose Bowl.

Comment

My niece in the band said it hasn't been determined yet. That was about a week ago, so the decision may have come down.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
                              This is true. Friend in the band said they need all the time to practice for the Rose Bowl.

- The game wouldn't be practice?? BTW, they looked awesome at the Poly game.
                              Not sure why they wouldn't want to show that off to 10K Bison fans.

Go Jacks!!
                              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post

The band deserves better than the east side bleachers. I hope when enough stadium upgrades have been completed that the band along with rest of the student section will be on one side of the field while the bulk of the home non-student fans will be on the other side. That way old f@rts like me can enjoy the band and the fan noise will assault the field from both sides.
                                Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Working...
                                X