2008 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2008 Recruits

Kool, Daughters, Fick and Lein are all in.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

They are rolling in now...Terry says there is only 1 left to come in but we've got 2 left on our list of verbals.

That puts the list at eighteen that have been reported in the Argus and other credible sites:

So here is the verbal list as we know it.

Those in bold have sent their letters in.

Tyrel Kool - RB - Yankton, SD
      Thomas O'Brien - QB - Winona, MN
      John Fick - OL - Hull/Rock Valley, IA
      Josiah Fitsimmons - DE - Ames, IA
      Seth Daughters - TE - Winner, SD
      Tyler Luethje - OL - Gladbrook-Reinbeck, IA
      Keegan Nesvacil - TE - Middleton, WI
      Aaron Rolin - WR - Lee's Summit, MO
      Matt Holt - SS - Lee's Summit, MO
      Julian Wagner - CB - Fort Worth, TX
      Alex Olinger - OL - Ames, IA
      Bo Helm - RB/DB - Childress, TX
      Mike Lien - LB - Valencia, CA
      Kyle Harris - K - St. Louis, MO
      Chris Tracy - RB/LB - Inwood, IA
      Ross Shafrath - LB - Hampton, IA
      Jeremy Blount - WR/KR - Tampa Bay, FL
      Andy Mink - DE - ?, NE

I'll try to keep this list up to date as we receive more verbals. More information on each recruit can be found by reading this entire thread.

Comment

Some of the articles I read about Blount said South Dakota and not specifically South Dakota State, maybe there was some confusion on him. He might be a Coyote and not a Jackrabbit?

Comment

That's a good point 02. That recruiting area sounds a bit more like USD than SDSU (and I don't mean that in a smacky way).
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
            Some of the articles I read about Blount said South Dakota and not specifically South Dakota State, maybe there was some confusion on him. He might be a Coyote and not a Jackrabbit?
            I could see that happening for a couple of reasons. One is that we aren't known to recruit in that area and I believe USD is. Second...a lot of people across the country have a hard time with the difference between "South Dakota" and "South Dakota State."

I guess we'll wait and see but I'm guessing you are probably right.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
              I could see that happening for a couple of reasons. One is that we aren't known to recruit in that area and I believe USD is. Second...a lot of people across the country have a hard time with the difference between "South Dakota" and "South Dakota State."

I guess we'll wait and see but I'm guessing you are probably right.
              I'm pretty sure the same thing happened either last year or the year before. There was confusion based on a newspaper article that a recruit was coming to SDSU and ended up at USD. Anybody else recall this?
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                I'm pretty sure the same thing happened either last year or the year before. There was confusion based on a newspaper article that a recruit was coming to SDSU and ended up at USD. Anybody else recall this?
                Looks like TV agrees with you.

http://blogs.argusleadermedia.com/sports/category/sdsu/

9:55 a.m. It’s pretty slow right now, but - unlike Zimmer - I’m not throwing in the towel. Reader comment: Who’s left? Based on my research, only Matt Holt from Lee’s Summit West. We’ll have to wait and see, but I believe that the reports of a Florida receiver are off base. One story said he’s going to South Dakota State and another said he’s going to South Dakota. Same thing happened last year to a quarterback and he was indeed sought by USD rather than SDSU. It’s one of the perils of being a newcomer in Division I

Comment

Terry's reports that the commitment from the Florida kid are "off-base" so I'm taking him off the list. I've added a section for "Blue Shirts/Walk-Ons" as Terry has said we've got 3 of those coming in which may prove more valuable than anyone would expect.

From his blog:
                  7:53 a.m. SDSU also expects to announce three “blue shirts” or preferred walk-ons. I’m told that two of them had sizable scholarship offers elsewhere in the state.

10:03 a.m. Something to keep in mind today: Of the four SDSU seniors that earned All-American honors on the field or in the classroom, two came here as walk ons (Cory Koenig, Douglass), one for $500 (Mitch Erickson) and the other at 25 percent of a full ride (Tyler Koch).
                  That puts the list at seventeen that have been reported in the Argus and other credible sites:

So here is the verbal list as we know it.

Those in bold have sent their letters in.

Tyrel Kool - RB - Yankton, SD
                  Thomas O'Brien - QB - Winona, MN
                  John Fick - OL - Hull/Rock Valley, IA
                  Josiah Fitsimmons - DE - Ames, IA
                  Seth Daughters - TE - Winner, SD
                  Tyler Luethje - OL - Gladbrook-Reinbeck, IA
                  Keegan Nesvacil - TE - Middleton, WI
                  Aaron Rolin - WR - Lee's Summit, MO
                  Matt Holt - SS - Lee's Summit, MO
                  Julian Wagner - CB - Fort Worth, TX
                  Alex Olinger - OL - Ames, IA
                  Bo Helm - RB/DB - Childress, TX
                  Mike Lien - LB - Valencia, CA
                  Kyle Harris - K - St. Louis, MO
                  Chris Tracy - RB/LB - Inwood, IA
                  Ross Shafrath - LB - Hampton, IA
                  Andy Mink - DE - Ashland, NE

Blue Shirts / Walk-Ons
                  Will Castle - OL - Brandon, SD

I'll try to keep this list up to date as we receive more verbals. More information on each recruit can be found by reading this entire thread.
                  Last edited by BTownJack; 02-06-2008, 10:42 AM. Reason: Andy Mink's Hometown

Comment

More on Ashland-Greenwood Andy Mink. Jacks recruited the 6'3 220 pounder as a DE. Runs a 4.8 40 and had 114 tackles and was a repeat First Team All-State Selection. Grandfather played football at Nebraska and his father wrestled there. Andy is undefeated and #1 ranked in his weight class in wrestling. Had interest from several DIA schools including Nebraska.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      More on Ashland-Greenwood Andy Mink. Jacks recruited the 6'3 220 pounder as a DE. Runs a 4.8 40 and had 114 tackles and was a repeat First Team All-State Selection. Grandfather played football at Nebraska and his father wrestled there. Andy is undefeated and #1 ranked in his weight class in wrestling. Had interest from several DIA schools including Nebraska.
                      DIA school? What's that? Dead in action?

(Drink the FBS/FCS koolaid . . . drink the FBS/FCS koolaid . . . )
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

As we suspected...Mick Garry is reporting Blount is signing with USD on his blog:

Jeremy Blount is another Florida kid. Listed at a wide receiver he’s 5-10, 163 for Tampa Bay Middleton, another from Middleton. He’s a shifty guy, considered a great punt return player. Was First team all -conference Western and Hillbrough County.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          DIA school? What's that? Dead in action?

(Drink the FBS/FCS koolaid . . . drink the FBS/FCS koolaid . . . )
                          Great Post. I try to provide some good information on a new recruit and that is what you got out of it. Amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                            Happened last year I believe.

Big thank you to BTown for the list updates and for others keeping me up-to-date.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Should I (we) be worried about not hearing from Holt yet? I'm getting there. On the other hand, I can't find anything on the Internet about him signing anywhere else. Any thoughts/updates? Was ge considering another school?
                              Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                                The Argus confirmes what Goon posted earlier this week. Will Castle is choosing to walk on at State instead of taking a full ride at USD. Maybe that should be posted on the smack board!! I understand he is a pretty good student and will be getting some academic scholarships to help out. While he won't be signing today, he's another to add to our list of recruits.
                                I am stunned! I was wrong about him having a scholarship just about anywhere. He is a great get in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X