2008 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2008 Recruits

I think this is a lot like comparing recruits between SDSU and NDSU. No one really knows until the players see the field.

My example would be Ryan Crawford, when we signed him he was ranked as the #15 QB in FCS (I-AA at the time) and he hasn't been able to see the field yet.

The best we can do is wait and see. But if I had to guess, the fact that they didn't recruit much for the d-line or o-line should tell you how the coaches feel about the current players at those positions.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      Actually,Minnesota only has 5 in-state commitments scheduled to sign tomorrow.
      Minnesota isn't quite known as a football haven that produces a ton of Big Ten caliber talent. With that said, the U of M is going to have a Top 25 class this year...this coming off of a 1-11 year and a first year coach.

Comment

Originally posted by GWFC Champs 2007 View Post
        I'd like to hear your opinions on who will be filling pontrelli's spot next year and big schroder's next year... and we all know that the d-line rotates a lot so we need a solid two deep to get to where we want to be
        Here's my shot at the underclassmen

Danny Batten (SO) was 2nd on team in TFL and had 4.5 sacks. Absolute stud who will only get better.

Steven Bazata (SO) had 4.5 TFL in fairly limited playing time. He should pick up some more playing time with Pontrelli graduating.

Antonio Thompson and Brian Fischer (RsFR) Both had 2.5 TFL this season in limited playing time. From what little game action I've seen of Fischer he's looked like the real deal. Thompson was highly regarded out of high school and one of the most athletic guys on the team.

Ross Basham and Jared Crumly (RsFR) Didn't see much time last year but from what I remember from listening to interviews from Stig were two guys he was pretty high on.

Kyle Sheehan (RsFR) Former Purdue recruit who transferred to SDSU and has had injury problems. Very highly recruited out of high school and should be a dominate player if he could ever stay healthy enough to see the field.

Nolan Johnson, John Kirwan, Eric Wood (Fr.) are guys I don't know too much about, with Kirwan the one that sticks out to me most. If I remember right he was a good basketball player in high school and a really athletic guy. Johnson and Wood both seem a little undersized right now but I'm sure they've been hitting the weights.

As Btownjack has said, I think the D-line will be one our biggest strengths again this year and next, there are alot of promising players in the bunch.

Comment

Not disagreeing with anything that has been written. I think our current stable of DLs looks good. However, I am uncertain of the wisdom to skip a position in any class of recruits. This year I think we especially need another interior DL. I think we are very solid at DE and have a recruit coming in there as well. Discounting special teams, there are 10 broad categories for positions, QB, RB, OL, TE, WR, DL, DE, LB, CB and S. I make a distinction between DL and DE because these are two very different types of players - almost never interchangeable. With 63 schollies, we should recruit at a minimum one player to fill these positions every year - more for the OL obviously as this encompasses 5 positions. I hope one of the two teasers TV referred to appeases my angst.

Comment

I think we will be good at D-Line....this year especially. We have some real athletes there, takes a little time to develop. We have a great D-Line coach in Rob Sarvis. He knows how to motivate and make the guys go. We have developed some real depth there, spring ball will be a great time seeing who will be the break out players. Anyone one of the guys mentioned earlier could be the ones. Moving Steffan to DE is also a very good possibility. Will be fun watching them. The young guys will learn alot from the veterans. Always good to keep brining new one into the program. I have faith the coaching staff know what they have...

Go Jacks !!!!!!!!!
            http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Three letters in so far according to TV. One surprise, Andy Mink, from Nebraskaland.

Comment

Nesvacil and Rollin are in. Sounds like things are moving along in good shape in BTown...

Comment

We are up to 8 according to Terry. I'll be watching his blog all day today and then when the announcement comes out from the SID office I will post it on here. Until then, keep track here:

http://blogs.argusleadermedia.com/sports/category/sdsu

Comment

In the first hour 8 are in according to Terry. He indicates that three Blue Shirts will be announced, walkons that hat "sizables offers" elsewhere in the state. Looking good Jacks.

Comment

The Argus confirmes what Goon posted earlier this week. Will Castle is choosing to walk on at State instead of taking a full ride at USD. Maybe that should be posted on the smack board!! I understand he is a pretty good student and will be getting some academic scholarships to help out. While he won't be signing today, he's another to add to our list of recruits.
                      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Looks like a great start to signings. See O'Brien is signed in the first hour. Glad to see some athletes choosing to walk-on rather that accept other schollies. This is something that Nebraska has always touted and now, maybe we can start showing we are considered the better program in the state...Gotta head out on the road today. Hope to read good reports when I get back this afternoon.

Comment

I like to see this:

"Also, SDSU plans to keep two scholarships available, hoping to catch a gem that fell through the cracks ala Cole Brodie last year. The coaches will be checking SID lists later today to see who wound up where and who might still be available."

Comment

In today's edition of the Argus, they confirm the Chris Tracy from West Lyon verbally committed to the Jacks. Also, Ross Shafrath has already sent in his letter, so he's obviously coming. That makes 17 without the unreported Andy Mink and with Terry reporting the coaches are expecting 17 letters, it is possible we lost a recruit that previously verballed. We'll have to wait and see.

That puts the list at eighteen that have been reported in the Argus and other credible sites:

So here is the verbal list as we know it.

Those in bold have sent their letters in.

Tyrel Kool - RB - Yankton, SD
                            Thomas O'Brien - QB - Winona, MN
                            John Fick - OL - Hull/Rock Valley, IA
                            Josiah Fitsimmons - DE - Ames, IA
                            Seth Daughters - TE - Winner, SD
                            Tyler Luethje - OL - Gladbrook-Reinbeck, IA
                            Keegan Nesvacil - TE - Middleton, WI
                            Aaron Rolin - WR - Lee's Summit, MO
                            Matt Holt - SS - Lee's Summit, MO
                            Julian Wagner - CB - Fort Worth, TX
                            Alex Olinger - OL - Ames, IA
                            Bo Helm - RB/DB - Childress, TX
                            Mike Lien - LB - Valencia, CA
                            Kyle Harris - K - St. Louis, MO
                            Chris Tracy - ? - Inwood, IA
                            Ross Shafrath - LB - Hampton, IA
                            Jeremy Blount - WR/KR - Tampa Bay, FL
                            Andy Mink - DE - ?, NE

I'll try to keep this list up to date as we receive more verbals. More information on each recruit can be found by reading this entire thread.

Comment

Wagner and Tracy are in also.

Comment

Terry says 13 in his latest post but I only got 12 from going through his blog a few times. Hopefully he's reading this and knows I'm auditing him ;-)

That puts the list at eighteen that have been reported in the Argus and other credible sites:

So here is the verbal list as we know it.

Those in bold have sent their letters in.

Tyrel Kool - RB - Yankton, SD
                                Thomas O'Brien - QB - Winona, MN
                                John Fick - OL - Hull/Rock Valley, IA
                                Josiah Fitsimmons - DE - Ames, IA
                                Seth Daughters - TE - Winner, SD
                                Tyler Luethje - OL - Gladbrook-Reinbeck, IA
                                Keegan Nesvacil - TE - Middleton, WI
                                Aaron Rolin - WR - Lee's Summit, MO
                                Matt Holt - SS - Lee's Summit, MO
                                Julian Wagner - CB - Fort Worth, TX
                                Alex Olinger - OL - Ames, IA
                                Bo Helm - RB/DB - Childress, TX
                                Mike Lien - LB - Valencia, CA
                                Kyle Harris - K - St. Louis, MO
                                Chris Tracy - RB/LB - Inwood, IA
                                Ross Shafrath - LB - Hampton, IA
                                Jeremy Blount - WR/KR - Tampa Bay, FL
                                Andy Mink - DE - ?, NE

I'll try to keep this list up to date as we receive more verbals. More information on each recruit can be found by reading this entire thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X