Western Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Western Illinois

I disagree that WIU was a better team. First off, their QB had a good game, but he's nothing special. What they did was put him in a position to play well and he took that and ran with it...literally and figuratively. He didn't complete a pass that required a throw any longer than 8 yards down the field. By end of the game, their passing game was non-existent. Their running game numbers were more a result of 3 big plays - 2 of them broken plays and a QB with good wheels - than it was anything else. For the most part, a 2 yard run was considered a success for the WIU running attack.

What disappoints me is that I felt the coaches, especially in the first half, put our QB in a position to play well and he could not produce. Anyone who was at the game or was watching the feed can't disagree with me on this. His numbers were much worse than the 16-39 for 139 or whatever they ended being. Like I said earlier, Harris had a 100 yard game with 2 TDs if the ball was anywhere near him on some of those throws. I can remember 3 seperate plays where we had a receiver down the sideline without a WIU player anywhere to be seen and he overthrew them by 10 yards. Then, to start the second half Harris beats his defender who has man coverage and no safety behind him on a deep post. If he hits him, that's an easy 6. Instead, the ball is underthrown and almost picked off. Then, on the second to last possession before OT, where we need to score and we're running out of time, he misses a 8 yard crossing pattern to a wide-open Koenig with 10 yards of daylight ahead of him on a 3rd and 6. You could see Koenig's frustration from Milwaukee after that one. We just can't win with that sort of QB play. Our running game dominated, but that can be stopped if a D is allowed to key on the run as they did in the 4th quarter and OT.

Now, I'm not ready to run Berry up the flag pole because this is his first real opportunity to shine. I have faith that he'll get it together. If he doesn't, I have faith that Stig will make the necessary changes. Also, he didn't lose the game himself by any stretch of the imagination. He put the ball right in Wagner's hands in the endzone during our 3rd drive and it was dropped. He catches that and all of a sudden his first 2 INTs are forgotten and we're back at even ground instead of playing catch-up the whole game. Our Defense get's a big stop at our own 35 and an unbelievably stuped late hit penalty give them 15 yards and a new set of downs which eventually turns into 3 more points. We have the ball 2 & 5 from the 6, which equates to essentially 6 downs to get 6 yards for what would have a game-winning TD and we get called for illegal substitution. I almost turned my computer off on that one. WIU didn't make those sorts of mistakes.

Anyone who watched the game can attest to the feeling that it was just a matter of time before SDSU's size and domination at the line would eventually turn the tide of the game and SDSU would come away with the end. WIU was overmatched physically the entire game. But, everytime we had the big bolder at the top of the hill ready to drop it over the cliff onto the WIU hopes, someone would sneeze and it would roll right over us to the bottom of the hill again.

I truly believed we were going to win that game up until my screen went blank and I was left to read on this fan site what happened. Even then I felt certain we were going to win. WE WERE THE BETTER TEAM. That's why I think it's a tough loss. Not because we were beat, but because we lost. Big difference. Coaches will get it turned around, players will get it turned around, gojacks.com will get it turned around (or will receive a not-so-nice request for refund from one MilwaukeeJacksAlum), and we will move forward. It's still better than starting off the season like we did last year.

I feel a little better getting that off my chest. Let's get 'er going for next week. A big win next week will erase and pains from this week.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

With all the mental mistakes that were made, I think I feel better about the team after thinking a day on it. We took it into a 4th overtime after repeatedly failing to finish off drives, completely missing receivers, receivers watching the ball go through their hands, several shanked punts, some blown assignments on both sides of the ball, untimely penalties, coaches not getting the play in on time, etc. Yet the physical talent of our team kept us in the game. On ESPN radio they have been discussing for several days the pre-season games in the NFL and if the big college teams have in affect have pre-season games by scheduling FCS teams. The mistakes that the Jacks made seem to be of the type that get worked out by good coaching staffs after you see them on tape from game situations. It stinks we lost because we were the better team. The mistakes must be fixed and I have no doubt that most of them will. While I agree that Berry will likely improve with more games, I can't knock him for every missed pass. It sounded on the radio that on a couple of the throws where he missed badly he had to get rid of the ball sooner than he wanted because of pressure. Maybe it took the receivers too long to get open or whatever, it doesn't really matter as the passing game must get better. One of the long throws connect and Koenig and Hohn would have had even more room to run. Game is over, no more WIU. Youngstown St is focus now.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

don't get me started on the punting game. My last comment on this game is this. If we are going to play ball control football, which we're usually very good at and seem to be built for a similar style this year, we need to be able to have a punter who won't shank 2 out of every 3 kicks resulting in a net punting average of 10 yards. There were some really ugly kicks last night from our punter. Bad high school punter type kicks.

Despite that, I really like our team and think we start to roll when everything starts clicking. Our offensive line man-handled their line last night and they had some good athletes on the D side of the ball. When you can run the ball like we did last night, you're going to be a good football team.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

The biggest problem I had is I didn't think they used the TE much. Wagner is a stud and TE in general is a deep position. Also a TE is the best friend to an inexperienced QB. The thing I heard on the Radio was he was having problems throwing over the line. Seemed like there was good play calling it seemed like Berry struggled plain and simple I don't think Berry is the answer but I don't know who is I will agree with previous points that I think the staff will be looking at a lot of film to see if its a quick fix. I also wouldn't be surprised if a backup or 2 saw some reps with the first team over the next 9 days.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            The biggest problem I had is I didn't think they used the TE much. Wagner is a stud and TE in general is a deep position. Also a TE is the best friend to an inexperienced QB. The thing I heard on the Radio was he was having problems throwing over the line. Seemed like there was good play calling it seemed like Berry struggled plain and simple I don't think Berry is the answer but I don't know who is I will agree with previous points that I think the staff will be looking at a lot of film to see if its a quick fix. I also wouldn't be surprised if a backup or 2 saw some reps with the first team over the next 9 days.
            The TE dropped one TD pass, and they were using a redshirt freshman TE at the end of the game because of an injury to Wagner. Berry was struggling, but the coaches were not calling the plays that were helping him - if he can't throw a deep pass, why try 5 of them?

Is there any news on the injuries to both Wagner and Hohn?

Comment

I agree, the QB should not be hung out to dry but worked with. Biggest problem I think in the offense is the approach to the offensive game.

1) Our strength is the line and running game, use it til they stop it. Change up the runs etc..... Pretty simple. K.I.S.S.

2) Passing when needed, practice catching the ball. Dropped passes should be viewed as unacceptable. They happen BUT attitude should be they don't happen here. Simple concentration and basic fundamentals.

3) Coach you QB position, get him comfortable, teach him when to pass, run or take the sack.
              To be fair, Berry is not right out of high school, he needs to take his game up. I think he can be good just need to be more confident.
              MISSOURI VALLEY NATION
              http://missourivalleyfootball.com

South Dakota State University
              http://gojacks.com

Comment

The 1100 mile roundtrip from Brookings was OK, but have to admit the ending left me a little down! My biggest concern: not losing the game (it was a road game, it was the first game, it was against an established program, it was a heck of a game, the fact we got into overtime was an outstanding play by Trevor Hohn, and a followup by the whole team to get the tying score).
                No, my biggest concern is the whole situation surrounding the quarterback. Ryan Berry had a really bad game. Has that ever happened before? Certainly. He did overthrow four long passes to open receivers. The first two I felt it was too much adrenalin. The second set were due more to hard edge rushes which caused early throws (the last one where he barely got it off as he was nailed hard.)
                So do we plunge off in a different direction. Certainly not yet. I am sure the coaches will start Ryan against Youngstown. He will have to improve for sure (against what will be a better team than we played Thursday night). But he will get that chance. It is too bad that we may have the best overall team this year, but lack the level of quarterback needed to make it an outstanding season (wish it was Andy's last year, or Ryan's second as starter).
                Several concluding thoughts: lighten up on Dean Priddy (punter) for at least awhile. We lost a geat punter to graduation, and Priddy is a freshman. His first kick was great...the two shanks terrible...let's not hack him until he gets a chance to set his own record straight.
                The defense only gave up two field goals...the Leatherneck defense got the touchdown...in the regular game. That's a lot to build on!
                I am absolutely certain we would have won the game in the third overtime, if not for the big mistake on illegal substitution. Koenig got us to the 4, and I have absolutely no doubt we would have gotten the TD and won the game. Don't blame the team for that.
                Finally, my only criticism on Ryan was his final play. I absolutely couldn't believe he threw the pass. Since an interception was the only thing that could lose the game at that point, the modus operandi should have been...only if the player is wide open and the defense can't get it's hands on it. It could happen to anybody but I expected more from Ryan at this stage of his career (starter or not). Having said that, I conclude with "GO RYAN, and GO JACKS at Youngstown.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                  This goes back to Coaching, who are also our recruiters. Stig is a wonderful person, few are better people. But I question whether he can be the guy that can get us to where SDSU should be.
                  I think with Stig at the helm we will always be a 5-6 to a 7-4 team.
                  Here is Stig's record:
                  1997 4-6-0 John Stiegelmeier
                  1998 6-5-0 John Stiegelmeier
                  1999 8-3-0 John Stiegelmeier
                  2000 6-5-0 John Stiegelmeier
                  2001 5-6-0 John Stiegelmeier
                  2002 6-4-0 John Stiegelmeier
                  2003 7-4-0 John Stiegelmeier
                  2004 6-5-0 John Stiegelmeier First Season of Division I-AA play
                  2005 6-5-0 John Stiegelmeier
                  2006 7-4-0 John Stiegelmeier

Not going to get it done.........
                  Have a problem with a few of your posts Rabbit64, but will mention just a couple. Moving to D-1 comes with a price and alumni and fans have to recognize that...it will bring a lot of asks and a lot of changes in pricing, etc. We have just fully funded the football scholarships and it will take a lot of "asks" to get the funds we need to complete.

I give a lot also...and ask only one thing in return, that our program makes me proud as an alumnus. I believe it has been doing that.

I don't know if John Stiegelmeier will get us there or not...but I don't agree that this is the time to judge that. Under him, the Jacks were 25-18 in his final four years in Division II. In the first four years of transition to D-1, the team is 26-18. I think that's pretty darn good given the fact that we have had to use four years to get up to 63 full rides (and I would be glad to discuss personally with anybody how difficult that was to do -- and the reasons it is so difficult.) Don't begin to compare us with the Bison as far as available resources. It's just a fact that we have to try harder to compete.

Comment

Has there been any word on any injuries? Trevor Hohn? Chris Wagoner?

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                      Has there been any word on any injuries? Trevor Hohn? Chris Wagoner?

my son talked to trevor yesterday, sounds like he'll be out a couple weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo View Post
                        The TE dropped one TD pass, and they were using a redshirt freshman TE at the end of the game because of an injury to Wagner. Berry was struggling, but the coaches were not calling the plays that were helping him - if he can't throw a deep pass, why try 5 of them?

Is there any news on the injuries to both Wagner and Hohn?
                        I didn't listen to the whole second half so I must of missed the fact that Wagner was injured (its makes sense because I was wondering why he wasn't in) but the fact that they threw 5 long balls isn't the coaches fault the way I understood it all 5 of the long balls were wide open and TD possible plays. Don't fault the coaches for running good plays.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                          my son talked to trevor yesterday, sounds like he'll be out a couple weeks.
                          Not good news, which means we need to have a running back step up in his place. I give Trevor the player of the game for that last play. I hope he mends and returns. We need him.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                            I didn't listen to the whole second half so I must of missed the fact that Wagner was injured (its makes sense because I was wondering why he wasn't in) but the fact that they threw 5 long balls isn't the coaches fault the way I understood it all 5 of the long balls were wide open and TD possible plays. Don't fault the coaches for running good plays.
                            If you are going to go with Berry at QB and he can't connect on those plays, that is something the coaches need to look at. Going 0-5 on those calls does not make "good plays" even if the recievers were open. If you can't execute it, it is not a good play.

Comment

Caution: I do not know enough about the fine points of x's and o's to comment...but, it's a message board so....

The coaches made a reasoned decision to go with Ryan Berry as the quarterback. There was nothing in that game which would cause one to go back on a decision made over several weeks. Berry's a smart kid (both football smart and book smart --- he's a top-notch student academically), has an excellent work ethic and leadership skills. I know the kid. I'm sure he's more upset with any misques and he'll personally work his tail off to figure out how to avoid problems in the future. So, we approach another game with Berry as the QB and hope he, his receivers and the coaches put it together (just like we did after the first three games last season).

I'm still very optimistic about this season.

And I'm still very glad I'm not a Michigan season ticket holder.

Comment

As I recall, we were having this same discussion at the beginning of the year last year regarding Andy K. and the start he had. People were questioning whether he was the right choice at QB because of some of the "mistakes" he made during the games. Well, I think Berry will grow and mature each start he makes, and I also believe he is a 'gamer', and as he becomes more confident in his role as the #1 qb, he too will play like we need him too. I look for better things from Ryan against Youngstown.

Comment

Working...
                                X