• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BrerRabbit
    replied
    Re: GDT: LIU Sharks

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    Attendance of more than 10,100 wasn't bad for a cool, rainy night against an unfamiliar opponent. Rain had been forecast for game time most of the week. That, no doubt, discouraged a lot of people from making the trip to Brookings.
    Agreed. No one likes to sit out in the rain. Some will do it anyway but no one likes it.

Leave a comment:

• da_coach
    replied

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    https://twitter.com/argusleader/stat...375159809?s=21

So this is who we have policing our tailgates. With K-9 units. Which is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wasn't there, so I'm not going to get into who was right or wrong. Regardless... NOT a good look.

Leave a comment:

• da_coach
    replied

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylN9hlntKpg

Here is LIU Coach. Very humble and very complimentary.
    Class Act.

I will be cheering for his program from afar. Wow. That is a solid, genuine, dude.

Leave a comment:

• CappinHard
    replied

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
    One instance where we agree.

Here's an idea -- if you're one of the "Splitting Hares" folks (as I thought you were), how about coordinating with UPD to devote a portion of your bye week podcast to discussing a ride-a-long you did to enlighten listeners about what the "rent-a-cops" have to deal with during their shifts. You might find that one or two of them are Jacks fans who enjoy Jackrabbit athletics too.

Obviously, it won't directly cover a crowd control experience you could observe, but it might help humanize a segment of the university.

Full disclosure: I'm approaching this debate as a person who did ride-a-longs as a part of undergrad. coursework and was an instructor of undergrads at SDSU who experienced how some like to question authority in an attempt to gain favor with/attention of peers.
    Sounds interesting and fun, but JI doesn't pay well enough to devote that much time to it.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

I'm almost certain the one administrator I saw on their sideline was their AD (Dr. Martinov), if you wanted to ask via email.
    Using your ljink I went to LIU website and to look at the staff, and by the size of the staff, they were more prepared to move to FCS than SDSU was 15 years ago.,With combining campuses, they most likely combined staffs. Their football field though small is very well equipped with suites. I bet Leerfiedl will soon be working for them in getting corporate sponsorships. Being in a metro area, you have great deal of competition for new fans. I am sure the administrators got a good tour of Dana. I bet they were talking future plans on the way home including hosting SDSU some day. When I first heard that LIU was on the schedule, I thought we were nuts in playing them, but without looking at their website, you dont know anything about them. They will do well in football as long they hold on to this coach who looks to have found his final job.

Leave a comment:

• JackJD
    replied

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    Wow. This thread is officially off the rails.
    i agree. Let’s keep this thread focused on the LIU game.

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied

One instance where we agree.

Here's an idea -- if you're one of the "Splitting Hares" folks (as I thought you were), how about coordinating with UPD to devote a portion of your bye week podcast to discussing a ride-a-long you did to enlighten listeners about what the "rent-a-cops" have to deal with during their shifts. You might find that one or two of them are Jacks fans who enjoy Jackrabbit athletics too.

Obviously, it won't directly cover a crowd control experience you could observe, but it might help humanize a segment of the university.

Full disclosure: I'm approaching this debate as a person who did ride-a-longs as a part of undergrad. coursework and was an instructor of undergrads at SDSU who experienced how some like to question authority in an attempt to gain favor with/attention of peers.

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied

Thanks but I suspect they don’t do much tailgating on Long Island. It has to tough to draw even 10k when they compete against all the NFL and MLB franchises. Here we only have the Viks and Twins and we lose fans because of the Viks playing at home.
    Funny you should mention that. Here's an example of how LIU makes an event "bigger than tailgating." They even include multiple cities.

Not saying the Jacks have to do this every game, but there's an SDSU ice cream truck that participates in food truck events here in Sioux Falls during the summer which could "make the pre-game rounds" across campus during gamedays (and in towns like Sioux Falls, Dell Rapids, Harrisburg, etc.) leading up to games to generate interest. Live music, food trucks, and a carnival, at least during "warmer" weather, could also help casual fans kill time before the gates open.

Somewhat related side note: their stadium appears to have about 1/5 the capacity of the Jacks'. They do have a Daktronics scoreboard though

Leave a comment:

• CappinHard
    replied

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
    Get over it. This country is policed to death over the acts of very, very, very, very, very few individuals. I agree with the quote, I like my freedom more than the police state you seem to enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

I'm almost certain the one administrator I saw on their sideline was their AD (Dr. Martinov), if you wanted to ask via email.
    Thanks but I suspect they don’t do much tailgating on Long Island. It has to tough to draw even 10k when they compete against all the NFL and MLB franchises. Here we only have the Viks and Twins and we lose fans because of the Viks playing at home.

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    I looked at it but I think it's too intertwined with other related and not-so-related topics so as to make it a confusing mess if I tried to move a bunch of posts without doing more editing and copy/pasting than I feel like doing. I just thought that there would be people who would appreciate it if the GDT's focused on the game itself. Plenty of room here to talk about the other things.

Carry on.
    No worries. "LIUPD" just might've been a punnier forum title, as it all "loops" back to UPD for some.

Leave a comment:

• AZjack
    replied

Now this is a quote...
    Get over it. This country is policed to death over the acts of very, very, very, very, very few individuals. I agree with the quote, I like my freedom more than the police state you seem to enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied

Yes let’s talk about the game. I wonder what LIU administrators thought about UPD? I hope the UPD presence didn’t offend them. It’s not every day that people from New York look to South Dakota for advice. It is usually the other way around. For once we are doing something right
    I came to watch game and got my money-worth. On to next week.

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied

Any chance the posts mentioning UPD and not focusing at all on the game could be moved to another thread?
    I looked at it but I think it's too intertwined with other related and not-so-related topics so as to make it a confusing mess if I tried to move a bunch of posts without doing more editing and copy/pasting than I feel like doing. I just thought that there would be people who would appreciate it if the GDT's focused on the game itself. Plenty of room here to talk about the other things.

Carry on.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Yes let’s talk about the game. I wonder what LIU administrators thought about UPD? I hope the UPD presence didn’t offend them. It’s not every day that people from New York look to South Dakota for advice. It is usually the other way around. For once we are doing something right
    I came to watch game and got my money-worth. On to next week.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X