GDT: @ JMU Bulldogs With Too Much Bling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ JMU Bulldogs With Too Much Bling

Just got home from the game - saw a lot of great Jacks' fans there. Game was not a good one, obviously, but I hope we can let up on these kids in the coming days. No one was beating himself up more than Christion - really feel for the kid.

Some observations about why I think this happened - and random thoughts.

1. JMU fans were great, gracious, and that's what it's all about. But they better get ready for the Bison because the Bison might run for 350 yards and control 38 minutes of clock. We got beat by a team with a soft run underbelly.
    2. I sat up high toward an endzone for a half - good vantage point for holes. And the Jacks' holes were huge at the beginning of the game and they stayed that way most of the night. Problem is we never took the time to establish the run game that they were giving us, and on pass downs we were getting beat by stunts and blitzes by quick guys up front. I
    3. On that point, I think we came out throwing too much, too early, after getting some early success in the running game. This might be one of those nights where you say, we're getting 4 or 6 or 11 yards every time we run it, screw the passing game, let's run it until they stop us. By then, the passing game could have been a lot more effective. I was the only Jack fan in a secton of JMU fans and that was the consensus all around - that our big guys were handing it to their big guys in the opening drive. One guy told me he was bracing for a long night. I think we were trying to establish our star wideout and TE star and weren't taking the goodies on the plate right in front of us.
    4. The fumble in the opening drive was the turning point, no doubt about it. Had we gone in and gotten seven there and held (remember, the defense held them and the jacks got the ball back), we'd have had the ball, up by a TD with a running game going. TC would have had a good chance to settle in and we'd have been playing from ahead.
    5. I think our play after we got behind had a lot to do with how well JMU's defensive backfield played. They were mixing schemes and we were forcing ourselves into the pass too often. But if NDSU is smart, they will pound the ball inside all night on JMU. That is a definite weakness in JMU's defense.
    6. My enduring memory of this game will be on their Pick 6 (one of those lucky breaks you get when you are having one of those can't-do-anything-wrong nights like JMU was having). ..............Mengarelli had been blocking in the flat on the other side of the field from the interception ... probably 30 yards away, and as soon as the DB caught the other sideline he pivoted and ran as hard as he could for the corner flag hoping to cut the guy off. ........ Mengarelli just missed him at about the 2. ....... He did this when the Jacks were trailing by 35 points. It was an incredible effort. .........It won't show up in any stat sheet or game story, it wouldn't have changed the outcome, but it sure told me a lot about this kid and what kids like him are learning in our program. Never give up, Jacks' fans!

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      I heard it sucks. Your day may not get better
      People have been saying that about star wars since the empire strikes back
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
        6. My enduring memory of this game will be on their Pick 6 (one of those lucky breaks you get when you are having one of those can't-do-anything-wrong nights like JMU was having). ..............Mengarelli had been blocking in the flat on the other side of the field from the interception ... probably 30 yards away, and as soon as the DB caught the other sideline he pivoted and ran as hard as he could for the corner flag hoping to cut the guy off. ........ Mengarelli just missed him at about the 2. ....... He did this when the Jacks were trailing by 35 points. It was an incredible effort. .........It won't show up in any stat sheet or game story, it wouldn't have changed the outcome, but it sure told me a lot about this kid and what kids like him are learning in our program. Never give up, Jacks' fans!
        And TC gave up on that play. That bothers me.

One thing with TC, he can be great when things are going great but if their not be doesn't seem to be able to fight the ship. The bad kinda snowballs. His inaccuracies that seem to be fairly common caught up to him today.

Comment

Thank you JMU may we have another. They looked much faster and stronger. It really showed up everywhere, on special teams, offense, defense. But was surprised at the success our ground game was having early.

Comment

Key moment in the game came at the end of the first half. Score is 14-10 and Jacks kicking off (with the wind) an 1:02 on the clock. Kickoff is return to midfield. Why didn’t that kick sail deep into the end zone? Instead the halftime score is 21-10 and game is basically over. Was the kicker hurt?

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
              Key moment in the game came at the end of the first half. Score is 14-10 and Jacks kicking off (with the wind) an 1:02 on the clock. Kickoff is return to midfield. Why didn’t that kick sail deep into the end zone? Instead the halftime score is 21-10 and game is basically over. Was the kicker hurt?
              If you would look back, I think you would find that there were not nearly as many touchbacks on kick-offs in the last few games as compared to the earlier games. I don't know that I would agree that the game was over at that point, but it was after JMU came out and scored twice on long runs right up the gut on their first two possessions of the second half.

Comment

A night’s sleep provides a more clear head. Still extremely disappointed in the outcome but very proud of the total body of work and this senior class. With that said, the way we lost this game was ridiculous. I didn’t just expect to show up and win; I respected what JMU brought to the table. I did expect to compete and felt like we’d have a good chance to win. Just another example of us laying an egg in a big situation.

Originally posted by JackAttack44 View Post
                I, for one, won’t be spending $700+ on this. So no, I won’t be renewing my season tickets for this. The only talent that gives he’s me hope is graduating. And the underachieving coaching staff will likely return.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                  JMU offense sucks balls. If we lose, NDSU will destroy them.
                  LOL Okay.

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                  We look like like the better team,not counting turnovers
                  Hmmmm interesting.

They have no answer for Dallas,he's more than they've ever seen,if it weren't for health issues,we could use him a lot more
                  Originally posted by westernjack View Post
                  JMU is just substantialy better than us
                  I don’t get this team. Are we as good as everyone here thinks? Is JMU just that much better than everyone else? Their previous games would say no. They are beating us worse than they’ve beat anyone. Have we given up?
                  We are that much better than everyone else. Except maybe Weber.

NDSU will destroy these guys,they won't screw around like we like to do.
                  I do not understand how you beat that team and then think they'll beat us.

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                  The Bison will run it down their throat, something we were doing a good job of until we stopped doing it. I'm gonna be cheering for James Madison though.
                  We were playing soft to the middle because we had to respect your speed and skill on the edges with Jake and Dallas. We do not respect Stick's arm or NDSU's receivers; we'll stack the box and let our DBs cover man to man.

All the SDSU fans I met were classy and I was glad they could have made it. Thanks for letting me post over here, but you heard it here first: We're going to roll the Bison.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDukes View Post
                    LOL Okay.

Hmmmm interesting.

We are that much better than everyone else. Except maybe Weber.

I do not understand how you beat that team and then think they'll beat us.

We were playing soft to the middle because we had to respect your speed and skill on the edges with Jake and Dallas. We do not respect Stick's arm or NDSU's receivers; we'll stack the box and let our DBs cover man to man.

All the SDSU fans I met were classy and I was glad they could have made it. Thanks for letting me post over here, but you heard it here first: We're going to roll the Bison.
                    I hope so. JMU fans seemed to be classy too. What an abortion of a game from Jacks perspective. Our QB was having a very nightmareish type of day. Maybe our paths will cross again.

Comment

36 hours or so after yet another playoff debacle of our own making. I can't add a lot to what has been said here. I guess I just kinda hope there is some assessment of this loss from outside the program. Some things went terribly terribly wrong here and those things should probably be identified and discussed. NO ONE is just going to forget this game and no one should even if he is inclined to do so.

Comment

This one was tough one to swallow no doubt about it. For me I feel like I'm going to wake up and and the nightmare is finally going to be over. Well, two days later and I've come to the realization that I'm not gonna wake up.

I was in person at the Montana playoff loss and also last year in Fargo. For me, I walked away from those previous losses lot more frustrated than this one. I'm very optimistic about the future of this program and I was assured by that with the last couple minutes of the post game press conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6HXFryQ6FM

Comment

To me it's like this....what do you have a back up QB for ? It's for when your starter is hurt or underperforming and losing the game for you. To let TC throw pick after pick after pick without trying someone else ,for even a short while would have been ok, is ridiculous......just like 10 TO's in a game is ridiculous. What did TC actually learn from this...that's debatable too I suppose. I'm moving on and will not let this debacle continue to bother me, what's done is done. I do wish the team great success going forward, and please don't repeat this,ever.

Comment

So after watching the Jacks last two games...I have to say some of this is due to Taryn's hand getting hit late in the previous game. No way he is responsible for that many turnovers without it. I also think the long travel, longer season than normal, inexperience in deep playoff runs, etc snowballed a little. My guess is half of JMU's points were the result of SDSU shutting down. Some players (noted earlier) were still giving 100%...but you gotta think some were just ready to leave. Two big runs to start the second half finished off almost everybody on the team.

You guys had a great season. I'm hopeful that our loss to you will turn out to be the most important game of our season to get us prepared for the championship. I am very thankful that Goedert and Wieneke are done...and will gladly cheer for their successful NFL careers. I am also thankful that we don't have to play SDSU in the championship. Being down our two starting corners would have been pretty hard to control you guys...we would have had a hard time with the full roster. JMU will be a beast as it is. Their passing attack is good too, but just not as devastating as yours could be. Anyway, good season...enjoy the rock until next season.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                              So after watching the Jacks last two games...I have to say some of this is due to Taryn's hand getting hit late in the previous game. No way he is responsible for that many turnovers without it. I also think the long travel, longer season than normal, inexperience in deep playoff runs, etc snowballed a little. My guess is half of JMU's points were the result of SDSU shutting down. Some players (noted earlier) were still giving 100%...but you gotta think some were just ready to leave. Two big runs to start the second half finished off almost everybody on the team.

You guys had a great season. I'm hopeful that our loss to you will turn out to be the most important game of our season to get us prepared for the championship. I am very thankful that Goedert and Wieneke are done...and will gladly cheer for their successful NFL careers. I am also thankful that we don't have to play SDSU in the championship. Being down our two starting corners would have been pretty hard to control you guys...we would have had a hard time with the full roster. JMU will be a beast as it is. Their passing attack is good too, but just not as devastating as yours could be. Anyway, good season...enjoy the rock until next season.
                              I'd sure like to know if Taryn's hand was an issue. If it was, I'd think maybe the coaches would have said something. Also, if it was you'd like to think they wouldn't have left him out there for as long as they did.

I'm pretty confident JMU isn't really 35 points better than us.

Comment

I'd sure like to know if Taryn's hand was an issue. If it was, I'd think maybe the coaches would have said something. Also, if it was you'd like to think they wouldn't have left him out there for as long as they did.

I'm pretty confident JMU isn't really 35 points better than us.
                                I really think it was a coaching error either way to leave Taryn in so long in the quarterfinal game. We did the same thing with Stick...to high of a risk for no reward. I have to think that played a part...to coincidental that he had such a horrific game. Not to take anything away from JMU, though...their pass defense is really good...I don't think I've seen anybody like them...their level of aggressiveness is amazing. And home field advantage can be big...I think long travel games have had impact on the Jacks through the years. It all snowballed. And I agree, JMU is not 35 pts better.

Comment

Working...
                                X