Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playoffs 2016: Nova

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Maybe having long term debt of 40 million in the form of revenue bonds to be repaid back over the next 10? 20? years played a role in ticket prices. Dykhouse and Sanford were not that generous with their donations, so it becomes a fan problem(higher ticket prices) to those who like to use their stadium. The mortgage has to be paid somehow.
    So the question becomes how to mitigate risk of bond default, and for me, you do that by expanding the cost share. Like I said, I think modestly reducing ticket prices would lead to consistent increased attendance. Otherwise, you're relying on fewer numbers of avid fans or more sporadic attendees, some of whom are elderly or have families and have/will face expenses that will decrease the likelihood they make luxury purchases like FB tickets.

My fear is that the powers that be will delay making the necessary adaptations because they'll believe that they've been able to get people to pay a higher price now.

Some have compared ticket prices to teams like the Vikes, but I think that is misleading because many people aren't necessarily debating whether to attend a Vikes or Jacks game, they're debating whether to attend a Jacks game in Brookings, watch it at home (or at a sports bar), and/or frequent less expensive events like movies, concerts, etc. Admin's goal should be to at least level the scales (ideally, they should try to tilt them in Jacks' favor) and make it easier for a casual fan to forego other events and attend a Jacks game, and one of the most direct ways to do that is to decrease cost.

Comment

The Jacks will be back in black for Saturday's game, per Zimmer tweet.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
        So the question becomes how to mitigate risk of bond default, and for me, you do that by expanding the cost share. Like I said, I think modestly reducing ticket prices would lead to consistent increased attendance. Otherwise, you're relying on fewer numbers of avid fans or more sporadic attendees, some of whom are elderly or have families and have/will face expenses that will decrease the likelihood they make luxury purchases like FB tickets.

My fear is that the powers that be will delay making the necessary adaptations because they'll believe that they've been able to get people to pay a higher price now.

Some have compared ticket prices to teams like the Vikes, but I think that is misleading because many people aren't necessarily debating whether to attend a Vikes or Jacks game, they're debating whether to attend a Jacks game in Brookings, watch it at home (or at a sports bar), and/or frequent less expensive events like movies, concerts, etc. Admin's goal should be to at least level the scales (ideally, they should try to tilt them in Jacks' favor) and make it easier for a casual fan to forego other events and attend a Jacks game, and one of the most direct ways to do that is to decrease cost.
        This is good conversation, but I don't think they will be listening too much to reducing prices. It appears to be part of a plan that was detailed down to the prices of each individual game. Its been over 50 years since I sat in a class on economic theory, but seems like there was a concept of elasticity of demand. When you consider all the factors, the demand to attend a given football game does not respond to price reductions. So I think, this is what will happen when you reduce ticket prices.
        For inelastic goods, an increase in unit price will tend to increase revenue, while a decrease in price will tend to decrease revenue. (The effect is reversed for elastic goods.) We are in an inelastic market I fear. What guarantee do you have that reduced prices will automatically create new demand?
        Last edited by Nidaros; 12-01-2016, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Ticket prices and budget matters probably should have their own thread. I'd rather read about the football team and the Nova game here. ... Looks like the weather should be decent on Saturday. Upper 30s. Hopefully that helps the Jacks' passing attack.
          This space for lease.

Comment

This is good conversation, but I don't think they will be listening too much to reducing prices. It appears to be part of a plan that was detailed down to the prices of each individual game. Its been over 50 years since I sat in a class on economic theory, but seems like there was a concept of elasticity of demand. When you consider all the factors, the demand to attend a given football game does not respond to price reductions. So I this is what will happen when you reduce ticket prices.
            For inelastic goods, an increase in unit price will tend to increase revenue, while a decrease in price will tend to decrease revenue. (The effect is reversed for elastic goods.) We are in an inelastic market I fear. What guarantee do you have that reduced prices will automatically create new demand?
            I'd like to give rep points to Nidaros' comments here, but I have to spread it elsewhere.

While I'd love to be talking about the game on the field, I do find this discussion interesting and educational. Great debate, and while I'm all for saving a few dollars in my pocket, price is not what is keeping me away from this game. Price is relative to a variety of factors.

- First and foremost is the product on the field. The Jackrabbits have produced this year by winning a conference championship and getting a first round bye. (+)
            - Tradition. No we don't have NDSU's tradition of consistent championship level to build a strong fan base. However, we've been trending up since we made the jump to D1 and while there is debate that this has to translate to postseason wins, I'd argue we have. I don't remember a postseason win prior to the jump and we are getting some now. (+)
            - An entertaining product on the field. This has been the most entertaining product SDSU has ever put up on the gridiron, with so many players putting up highlight reel plays. (+++)
            - Weather. We are hearty northerners and several have posted that their fondest memories are of cold weather games. However, give me a choice between a sunny warm Saturday in Brookings with tailgating and cold beer or a cold weather playoff game - I'm choosing the first. I think more casual fans would share this sentiment. (-)
            - Convenience of watching the game in a bar or at home on ESPN3 with choice of cold beverages or traveling to Brookings to watch a game while keeping warm? Casual fan says the second choice is better. (-)
            - Holiday budget crunch. (-)
            - Price of tickets. Tough to debate as we don't want to be on the high end of the price curve. You could compare ticket prices to a variety of events regionally and make a good case either way. Yes it is higher than other football games as compared to other FCS schools. You can't compare it to the price of attending a high school game as it is a totally different experience. It is also difficult to compare to other football experiences like the Vikings or Huskers, but I think it is closer to that level of entertainment at a much cheaper price. For me, I view this as neutral, but I can see how it would be a negative for the casual fan. (-)

Bottom line, if I didn't have a conflict 7 hours from Brookings, I'd be at the game. Price has absolutely no effect on me and I'm far from wealthy. This is history in the making and I'm fired up!

Now let's talk about the game. Jacks win 27-17!!!

Comment

This is good conversation, but I don't think they will be listening too much to reducing prices. It appears to be part of a plan that was detailed down to the prices of each individual game. Its been over 50 years since I sat in a class on economic theory, but seems like there was a concept of elasticity of demand. When you consider all the factors, the demand to attend a given football game does not respond to price reductions. So I think, this is what will happen when you reduce ticket prices.
              I'd never frame it as guaranteed/automatic, but I would say that consideration of proper pricing equilibrium is flawed if those setting the ticket price do not believe a slight price decrease cannot increase attendance. I will concede that such analyses must also consider price reductions' possible impact on profit margins.

Sorry for contributing to thread drift. Really excited about the game and looking forward to a raucous crowd.

Comment

The last time UNI was a seed in the playoffs was 2011. They were the #5 seed. Their attendance against Wofford was a whopping 6,915, indoors, on December 3rd, 2011.

I'm done worrying about attendance and ready to watch the Jacks win.

Comment

Jacks are -11. Second biggest favorite of the week in Vegas. I'd be happy with any win, but I'd be thrilled if they can cover that.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                    Jacks are -11. Second biggest favorite of the week in Vegas. I'd be happy with any win, but I'd be thrilled if they can cover that.
                    I don't think we are taking Nova lightly. I too will be interested to see how we match up. The Nova offense stalled in the second half and let SFU back in the game, we'll sort of.

Comment

• Re: Playoffs 2016: Nova

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                      A Jackrabbit Club donation wasn't required this year to purchase season tickets. So essentially you could get season tickets this year that are lower than previous years (when a Jackrabbit Club donation was required).
                      I wasn't given that option. Honest. It was handled just like all other years.

Comment

Drifting back to football
                        http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...gacy/94727862/
                        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                          I wasn't given that option. Honest. It was handled just like all other years.
                          That's how my ticket order was handled too, but I didn't respond to UWM's post because I thought I might have misunderstood. The way it was explained to me, I could either match my prior year's donation to remain in the same location or move up one donation level to get closer to midfield.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                            Great article about what seems to be a great person. I wonder if Lujan would be interested in becoming the offense's Jimmy Rogers, transitioning from player to position coach.

Comment

Who's all tailgating this weekend? Haven't been to a game in a few years so probably going to be wandering the lots for a bit. How strict is the no wandering rule?

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                                Who's all tailgating this weekend? Haven't been to a game in a few years so probably going to be wandering the lots for a bit.

Sounds like backyard is wet and muddy. Also with the Men's bball game I wouldn't suspect tailgating will be hopping, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X