Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playoffs 2016: Nova

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    Regular season tickets were $170 for the year. Of course, as much as $250 was required for the Jackrabbit Club. That would make a regular season ticket average up to $70/game down to $28/game for the corner where no Jackrabbit Club membership was needed. The $37-$47 just sounds to be high when looked at from a walk up price even though Hobo Day or USD were priced higher than the standard $32. I still encourage the guys sitting on the fence to buy the cheaper ticket and look for a better seat when the game starts. You can get an early look on the seating chart to find what is open. I recall that the WNIT a few years ago cost more for Frost than most of the other WNIT games, but the $20 per ticket gave us a chance to see the game at Frost. It is much like the Summit in Sioux Falls. The attendance made it very easy to bid and keep the tournament when the tickets get sold. I would not want to hear fans disappointed down the road because the athletic department did not get in a strong enough bid to host a football playoff game.
    I was thinking about the $20 ticket for the WNIT games that year, too. We outbid a lot of schools and hosted a lot of games. Most of the teams, that I remember, had their tickets being sold for $8/ticket. We were more than double that. When we lost in the final four, I think their tickets we only $8 each. They could hold a lot more fans but I don't remember why we didn't out bid them with our tickets being 2 1/2 times as much.
    The athletic department has to be walking a fine line. They want to host these types of games and make as much money as they can per game without overpricing the ticket to scare away too many fans. I think a lot of younger fans that just graduated from college or have a family have to pick and chose if they can afford the games. The more established people don't have to work as much (in general).

As far as the game goes, I just wonder how Nova's smaller defense will match up with SDSU offense. They play a 3-3-5 on defense. Two of the three defensive linemen are really big but the third isn't as big. After that, they are really small. Will their quickness give our bigger OL and TE's a lot of problems or will we be able to bury them because of the size? If they crowd the box, you hit a 260# TE and will a 200# CB/S be able to bring him down? I can see us running the ball more in this game. USD was playing a safety at LB and we ran for over 400 yards against them. Will this be the same thing? They seem to have good numbers against the run so maybe their quickness will give SDSU problems but I don't know. There is only 1 game where SDSU was held under 3.9 yards/carry (in conference play). I think people are underestimating the running game. The passing game is more flashy be SDSU can run, too.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
      I was thinking about the $20 ticket for the WNIT games that year, too. We outbid a lot of schools and hosted a lot of games. Most of the teams, that I remember, had their tickets being sold for $8/ticket. We were more than double that. When we lost in the final four, I think their tickets we only $8 each. They could hold a lot more fans but I don't remember why we didn't out bid them with our tickets being 2 1/2 times as much.
      The athletic department has to be walking a fine line. They want to host these types of games and make as much money as they can per game without overpricing the ticket to scare away too many fans. I think a lot of younger fans that just graduated from college or have a family have to pick and chose if they can afford the games. The more established people don't have to work as much (in general).

As far as the game goes, I just wonder how Nova's smaller defense will match up with SDSU offense. They play a 3-3-5 on defense. Two of the three defensive linemen are really big but the third isn't as big. After that, they are really small. Will their quickness give our bigger OL and TE's a lot of problems or will we be able to bury them because of the size? If they crowd the box, you hit a 260# TE and will a 200# CB/S be able to bring him down? I can see us running the ball more in this game. USD was playing a safety at LB and we ran for over 400 yards against them. Will this be the same thing? They seem to have good numbers against the run so maybe their quickness will give SDSU problems but I don't know. There is only 1 game where SDSU was held under 3.9 yards/carry (in conference play). I think people are underestimating the running game. The passing game is more flashy be SDSU can run, too.
      Stig talked about this on Monday night. He's concerned about their "speed" on defense. The odd numbered front is something we never see and that's going to throw the fat guys off. In the end he summed it up like he always does, each guy has to do his job on each play better then the guy across from him.

I like our chances.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        That is clearly a slam. My east coast friends think the U.S. ends after the western suburbs of Philly and it's all Mad Max territory west of that.
        Well, I'll be a naive hick for falling for that Easterner's trick. Nevertheless, Brookings is pretty dang nice to me.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
          For the non-season ticket holder (casual fan) I could see ticket price being an issue. For the season ticket holder though it shouldn`t be. It doesnt make sense to me that someone who`s already invested several hundred dollars and six saturdays wouldnt want to be there for essentially the culmination of it all....if you dont bother going to the playoff game(s), why did you even bother wasting that much time and $ through the season?
          For me (season ticket holder for the last 15+ years) it wasn't a price issue. Unfortunately, I coach 2 girls' basketball teams for my daughters. Their first games are this weekend. Pretty much means any plans for any of the Jacks playoff games will be a no-go for me. I couldn't be more disappointed that I'm not able to make the game.

I like how our team matches up against Nova. Despite our pass-happy stats, we're a team that is best suited playing smash-mouth football. Especially on Defense. We have a D-line designed to stop the run inside the tackles. We have more problems with teams that run outside the tackles. I haven't seen any film and am just relying on what I've read, but I feel like our Defense is going to have a great game and set the tone in this one. If we avoid giving up a big play (that includes special teams), I don't see Nova moving the ball on us.
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
            For me (season ticket holder for the last 15+ years) it wasn't a price issue. Unfortunately, I coach 2 girls' basketball teams for my daughters. Their first games are this weekend. Pretty much means any plans for any of the Jacks playoff games will be a no-go for me. I couldn't be more disappointed that I'm not able to make the game.

I like how our team matches up against Nova. Despite our pass-happy stats, we're a team that is best suited playing smash-mouth football. Especially on Defense. We have a D-line designed to stop the run inside the tackles. We have more problems with teams that run outside the tackles. I haven't seen any film and am just relying on what I've read, but I feel like our Defense is going to have a great game and set the tone in this one. If we avoid giving up a big play (that includes special teams), I don't see Nova moving the ball on us.
            I think this could be part of the difference between the NDSU's and Montana's of the world and the rest. Both of those schools KNOW they are going to host, and their fans can plan accordingly and expect to have one or more home playoff games whether they get a seed or not. Meanwhile with how our playoff experience has been so far we are consistently sent on the road, causing a lot of our fans to not plan on having the entire day open to attend. If you are ready for the home game and know its happening, attending gets a lot easier. If we get used to hosting playoff games I think you will see the playoff attendance rise not just from the winning but from people being used to it. And remember even Montana has a pretty decent drop in attendance in the playoffs as well.

Are they selling any ticket package deals for a discount for the two bb games and playoff game? Would think that could be an attractive deal and could be a way to dodge around the NCAA ticket price requirements if you made the three tickets the same cost as two, and could get some extra people there.

Sent from my RCT6303W87M7 using Tapatalk
            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

We are feeling lucky in that it works out for just me to go on Saturday. The rest of my family is booked already. Our weekends are generally booked months in advance and finding out about another game two weeks ago doesn't leave us a lot of time. Your mileage may vary but that is how it is with two teenagers and a busy house.

I think our ticket prices are ridiculous and with the Jackrabbit Club donation they are insane. Its the price of having a new stadium. OK I get that. I'm glad we have it but its clear to me at least that we're pricing ourselves out of the attendance numbers that some seem to be seeking.

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post
                We are feeling lucky in that it works out for just me to go on Saturday. The rest of my family is booked already. Our weekends are generally booked months in advance and finding out about another game two weeks ago doesn't leave us a lot of time. Your mileage may vary but that is how it is with two teenagers and a busy house.

I think our ticket prices are ridiculous and with the Jackrabbit Club donation they are insane. Its the price of having a new stadium. OK I get that. I'm glad we have it but its clear to me at least that we're pricing ourselves out of the attendance numbers that some seem to be seeking.
                A Jackrabbit Club donation wasn't required this year to purchase season tickets. So essentially you could get season tickets this year that are lower than previous years (when a Jackrabbit Club donation was required).

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post

We, the posters of sdsufans board are seeking higher attendance numbers... The powers that be at SDSU are seeking a dollar amount on the other hand... I don't know that they really care whether they end up with 5,000 people that pay $45/ticket or 15,000 people that pay $15/ticket... It's still $225,000 to them. Sure, your concession sales would go up with triple the amount of people, but do you really think we would get 15k even if the ticket price was at $15? I don't think so... 10k, maybe...

Comment

We averaged over 15,000 this season. I'll bet if we said that would be the case at the beginning of the year most would be thrilled.

As for Saturday maybe we can get close to 10k. If we can I'd be pretty happy. As for the reason behind a likely dip. I'm sure it's a combination of 1) The Weather 2) Ticket Price 3) Schedule Conflicts.

I'm with thumper in that if we can continue to win playoff games people will plan accordingly where possible.

Now, I have to wonder if lowering the ticket prices (they are higher than the lowest ticket prices we've had this year) would help in the long run. Sure we may lose some money on the bid to host, but we may gain some hardcore fans that will be future season ticket holders. I know it's not a good idea to operate at a loss but it can be looked at as an investment as well.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                      We, the posters of sdsufans board are seeking higher attendance numbers... The powers that be at SDSU are seeking a dollar amount on the other hand... I don't know that they really care whether they end up with 5,000 people that pay $45/ticket or 15,000 people that pay $15/ticket... It's still $225,000 to them. Sure, your concession sales would go up with triple the amount of people, but do you really think we would get 15k even if the ticket price was at $15? I don't think so... 10k, maybe...
                      I think they absolutely care if there are 5k vs 15k. They'd be fools not to. Concession sales increase and you have a much larger base to convert to season ticket holders/regular donors.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                        I think they absolutely care if there are 5k vs 15k. They'd be fools not to. Concession sales increase and you have a much larger base to convert to season ticket holders/regular donors.
                        Right, but you're assuming that we would get 15k if ticket prices were lower.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                          Right, but you're assuming that we would get 15k if ticket prices were lower.
                          No, actually I'm not. I'm saying they want the most butts in the seats as possible while still getting to some bottom line #. You said they don't care how many people as long as they get to the bottom line #.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            No, actually I'm not. I'm saying they want the most butts in the seats as possible while still getting to some bottom line #. You said they don't care how many people as long as they get to the bottom line #.
                            Im with you Montana. Any assertion that the AD doesn't care about butts in seats for this game is ludicrous.
                            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                              Im with you Montana. Any assertion that the AD doesn't care about butts in seats for this game is ludicrous.
                              I tend to agree with you both; however, I also think our ticket prices hamper sustainable long-term attendance growth, which, like it or not, will depend on attracting more casual fans. It almost seems like Administration wanted to use this year to establish the price "ceiling." It would be awesome if they would adapt to attract additional fans and institute price reductions next year. It would not need to be anything drastic (perhaps $5-$10 per ticket).

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                                I tend to agree with you both; however, I also think our ticket prices hamper sustainable long-term attendance growth, which, like it or not, will depend on attracting more casual fans. It almost seems like Administration wanted to use this year to establish the price "ceiling." It would be awesome if they would adapt to attract additional fans and institute price reductions next year. It would not need to be anything drastic (perhaps $5-$10 per ticket).
                                Maybe having long term debt of 40 million in the form of revenue bonds to be repaid back over the next 10? 20? years played a role in ticket prices. Dykhouse and Sanford were not that generous with their donations, so it becomes a fan problem(higher ticket prices) to those who like to use their stadium. The mortgage has to be paid somehow.

Comment

Working...
                                X