Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ NDSU for the Marker!

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
    First of all, the back judge blew it. It happens. Refs are prone to making mistakes just like players and coaches. Perfect games by any of those involved in a game rarely happen. However, this was a perfect storm for the back judge. His first mistake was that he thought he saw a targeting and everything unraveled from there.

I'm in my 28th season as an official and I still have situations unravel in front of me. What worked against him was that he saw something that wasn't really there. When you throw a flag, it is important to get the number of the player whom you call the foul on. That led him to take his eyes off of the ball while Goddert was going down. The third strike against him was that there was no available good angle on the replay to correct his error. Yes he blew it, but I have a hard time calling him incompetent based off of this one play. Yes, he made two mistakes on one play, but based on this angle, he was in the right position to make the call, which, tells me more about his competency.

We have the benefit of seeing things from a great angle in slow motion. He had a lot of activity happening all at once, and ended up blowing a big call at an important time, in one of the biggest games of the season.
    No,he saw Goddert hit the ground and the ball hit his shoulder and bounce into the air at the same time,he saw Goddert grab it ,he's looking right at the play the whole time ,THEN he threw the flag and signaled an incomplete pass. LOOK at the video......HERE it is again. Everyone who saw the play knew it was a touchdown,except the ref standing 10' away whose job it is to call the play......amazing

Anyway,it's all over and done with,I'm willing to let it go,as long as everyone else is too.
    Last edited by jackdaniel; 10-16-2016, 10:32 PM.

Comment

I understand replay call. I don't understand why they had no camera angle pictures from the side necessary to reverse the call. If you have a side view it is a easy replay to reverse but not having at least all sides of a play makes the call challenging. The back judge isn't to blame for the replay. Ask camera crews, MVFC and the bison. What concerns me more is having the same replay official game after game for the Bison. That makes for bias decisions.

Comment

I agree that he watched Goddert finish the catch while on the ground. But what goes through your mind when you are officiating is a number of things all at the same time. He was grabbing for his whistle before Goddert finished making the catch. That tells me that he had already made the call in his head and quit officiating on the play. You never put the whistle in your mouth until you've determined where the ball is. His right hand was then grabbing the flag while he watched Goddert on the ground. He was cleaning up on the play as that is what you do when finish on the play.

The key is that he is putting the whistle in his mouth before the play is over. He had made the call in his head and was throwing the flag while also registering in his mind how 44 launched himself above Goddert's shoulders. He thought the ball had already hit the ground. His whistle was in his mouth and then his flag was in his hand before Goddert finally secured the ball and #3 tried to slap the ball out of his hand. Again, you never put the whistle in your mouth until the play is over. You do that to avoid inadvertent whistles before the play is over. He was starting to blow his whistle before Goddert secured it. He did this because he had already determined the ball had hit the ground. He obviously didn't see that as his brain was processing 44's number and the action that occurred on the hit. I suspect that he saw 44 launching towards Goddert's head, but by the time the hit happened, he likely couldn't see the final hit because Goddert was in between 44 and himself. You can see that he took a step back while giving the incomplete sign.

(I want to clarify that I can't know for sure what was going on in his mind. I can just relate to how all of that action was going on in front of him and when you start to call a foul, it is easy to take your mind off from the rest of the play. It may have only happened for a split second, but you start to react to the foul and you don't always process everything clearly.)

Again, I agree that he blew the call, I just don't believe he was incompetent or he would have never advanced to this level. We all make mistakes, it's just that this video clip clearly showed he was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
          I agree that he watched Goddert finish the catch while on the ground. But what goes through your mind when you are officiating is a number of things all at the same time. He was grabbing for his whistle before Goddert finished making the catch. That tells me that he had already made the call in his head and quit officiating on the play. You never put the whistle in your mouth until you've determined where the ball is. His right hand was then grabbing the flag while he watched Goddert on the ground. He was cleaning up on the play as that is what you do when finish on the play.

The key is that he is putting the whistle in his mouth before the play is over. He had made the call in his head and was throwing the flag while also registering in his mind how 44 launched himself above Goddert's shoulders. He thought the ball had already hit the ground. His whistle was in his mouth and then his flag was in his hand before Goddert finally secured the ball and #3 tried to slap the ball out of his hand. Again, you never put the whistle in your mouth until the play is over. You do that to avoid inadvertent whistles before the play is over. He was starting to blow his whistle before Goddert secured it. He did this because he had already determined the ball had hit the ground. He obviously didn't see that as his brain was processing 44's number and the action that occurred on the hit. I suspect that he saw 44 launching towards Goddert's head, but by the time the hit happened, he likely couldn't see the final hit because Goddert was in between 44 and himself. You can see that he took a step back while giving the incomplete sign.

(I want to clarify that I can't know for sure what was going on in his mind. I can just relate to how all of that action was going on in front of him and when you start to call a foul, it is easy to take your mind off from the rest of the play. It may have only happened for a split second, but you start to react to the foul and you don't always process everything clearly.)

Again, I agree that he blew the call, I just don't believe he was incompetent or he would have never advanced to this level. We all make mistakes, it's just that this video clip clearly showed he was wrong.
          I know what you're saying,and I agree,humans are subject occasionally to making wrong decisions and to give the guy a break,you are right and I applaud you for for sticking up for someone you don't even know.Incompetent is too harsh,let's just call it a mistake.He made a mistake in calling the play.We still won the game,so,it shouldn't matter to me as much as if we'd of lost the game.Comme ci,Comme sa.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
            I understand replay call. I don't understand why they had no camera angle pictures from the side necessary to reverse the call. If you have a side view it is a easy replay to reverse but not having at least all sides of a play makes the call challenging. The back judge isn't to blame for the replay. Ask camera crews, MVFC and the bison. What concerns me more is having the same replay official game after game for the Bison. That makes for bias decisions.
            I can forgive the official because mistakes do happen and is a part of the game. What I can't understand is the great and mighty Fargodome has an entire side of the field with no camera angle the endzone?! Last year during the Bison game a couple of jerk off Bison fans were in the bathrooms making fun of the new stadium. But at least we have the ability to cover plays in the endzone from both sides of the field. Maybe it's time to upgrade their stadium and get with the times?

Comment

Rants and Raves

Disclaimer: Didn't watch a second of the game. Followed on Twitter and ESPN app because I was in a wedding.

Rave: We won. Hell yeah.

Rant: Have to be better in the Case IH red zone.

Rave: We won and it sounds like we controlled the line of scrimmage.

Rant: That ref really flubbed up on the Goedert touchdown.

Rave: Highlights were hilarious of Goedert tossing Bison defenders around.

Rave: TC keeping his cool after throwing the INT.

Rave: Coach Stig's postgame remarks and talking about Chase Morlock. He's such a good guy.

On to Hobo Week and Day!
              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

It is quite funny how much complaining about the refs is going on here. A little ironic, don't you think? Pretty soon you will all be yellong Jackrabbits at the end of the National Anthem. I kid, I kid.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                  It is quite funny how much complaining about the refs is going on here. A little ironic, don't you think? Pretty soon you will all be yellong Jackrabbits at the end of the National Anthem. I kid, I kid.
                  Lol, must spread rep.

I can't believe people are dragging on the talk about that call as much as they are. I would expect it more if we lost. Either way, the ref messed up and there weren't any camera angles to overturn it. Pretty simple. Should the ref have paid more attention to the catch? Yes. Should the broadcast crew have more diverse camera angles? Yes. Alright, I think that covers it and we can move on.

Comment

Oh man, if NDSU had a touchdown called incomplete and they lost (I know SDSU won), Fargo would be burning. Only sort of joking.

Comment

You made my day, rep pts given.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                        Oh man, if NDSU had a touchdown called incomplete and they lost (I know SDSU won), Fargo would be burning. Only sort of joking.
                        I do not disagree one bit. But, had we won I would have been the first to admit we got away with one. We did not deserve to win, and as much as I wanted that last pass to be incomplete, that pass needed to be complete for the right team to win.

I'm hoping that loss can help the team focus in and get better...just a little worried that maybe an increased focus can't make the team better this year. This might just be who they are. This isn't like the loss to USD last year...that was just poor effort. This was not that at all.

Comment

I do not disagree one bit. But, had we won I would have been the first to admit we got away with one. We did not deserve to win, and as much as I wanted that last pass to be incomplete, that pass needed to be complete for the right team to win.

I'm hoping that loss can help the team focus in and get better...just a little worried that maybe an increased focus can't make the team better this year. This might just be who they are. This isn't like the loss to USD last year...that was just poor effort. This was not that at all.
                          I was a little surprised that the offense couldn't grind out a drive in the fourth quarter. That's been the calling card of the Bison for years. That and the fact SDSU moved the ball at will. Something just seems off about the Bison this year.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                            I was a little surprised that the offense couldn't grind out a drive in the fourth quarter. That's been the calling card of the Bison for years. That and the fact SDSU moved the ball at will. Something just seems off about the Bison this year.
                            We weren't getting much from the power run game up the middle, and they didn't run the jet sweep...guessing you guys had it covered all game. SDSU also took away our knockout punch...the screen...our guy was swallowed up the second he caught the ball. Several times in the 4th quarter it was like you were in the huddle with us.

I wonder if Stig had trouble getting in and out of the dome on Saturday...balls that big might have needed a garage door to get through...

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                              Didn't read all of this, but can we stop saying our O line is mediocre? Please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              No. I admit when I watched the second half it looked like Christion had good time and they did create running lanes. However, a good to great O-Line can get you two yards on 4th & goal. Not saying they are bad, but they need to be better in short yardage.

Comment

Accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Working...
                                X