Marker Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marker Week

Smack in non-smack threads is a bannable offense.

Warnings are at the discretion of moderators.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
      I think that's a big difference between this year and last year. First our o line is better imo. I think they can hold up decently against the d line of the bison. I mean, is NDSUs d line going to be twice as good as TCUs? I doubt it. They might be better, but not by a ton, and the o line did pretty decent there for us. We're going to give up some sacks for sure. NDSU is too good of a defense not to. But they don't have the lock down corners they had last year, so they won't be able to commit as many guys to the box or sit in man coverage nearly as much to stop Wieneke and Goedert, which should make the lines life a little easier. I'm personally really banking on coach Eck to make a big difference here. I think there is something to being a former Badger o lineman that will help him instill the toughness we need in a game like this.

Our d line is going to likely get smacked. I'm really banking on us holding the bison to fgs and limiting the big play. If we can force them to have to drive the length of the field we can get stops. That's how CSU was able to hold their offense to 17 points in regulation. Eventually during those long drives the bison made mistakes that killed the drives.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned that is different is the punting game. The swing between the two teams average punt is a 16 yard swing from last year. Why is that important? Last year in the Marker game neither team scored when their drive started farther than 70 yards out. The only scoring drives were all 68 yds or less. That means the magic number for field position is the 30 right? We only had three drives start past our own 30, and one was with no time left in the second half. NDSU had 8 start past their own 30. We won't get any returns with how the NDSU punter punts, because they will all be fair catches, but they'll only be about 30 yards half the time. You figure the swing in punting average for the field position game in and now it's switched to a difference of 8 for us outside the 30 to only 3 for them. Now I didn't factor in turnovers but in the end I think you get the point right? Could be a much different game. We were pinned in our own end the entire game last time, and a large part was their defense as well, but where you start a drive can affect that greatly as well. So we got that going for us as well, which is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Sure hope the kickoffs and punts are as long as they can be,our coverage on those has vastly improved.I'm a firm believer in making them go as far as we can to score,like you said,sometimes a long drive can stall when mistakes are made.We have to try and keep the ball on their side of the 50 as much as we can(good field position),keep the change of possession yards in our favor too,as much as possible.Just good sound ,old fashioned football.We on the other hand need some big plays and fast scores.We have the the big play guys to pull that off,hopefully. That might alter their game plan a little,and force them to take more chances than they would like to and to do more things they are uncomfortable doing,although they are well disciplined,and won't be fazed until it gets late in the game and they sense they are losing control of the game (we have to have a lead,the bigger and as late in the game the better).

Can't afford any turnovers. I just hope we can dictate what happens in this game through a well thought out and executed game plan that's specifically designed to stop the Bison cold,and leave them wondering what just happened.If we sense they're cracking a little,we're starting to get in their heads a little. Let's do this!
      Last edited by jackdaniel; 10-12-2016, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by smoothjack View Post
        I watched a bit of an espn3 replay of the game between ndsu and Missouri State. Has anybody else noticed the glitter/sparkles on the green fill of the bison on the ndsu helmets? Is this new? Man they sure are pretty. Fits their football team pretty well... softies. Pretty little bison.
        Our helmets have a bit of sparkle to them. Just saying.

I agree with everyone saying that the line of scrimmage is key. Can Soulek and Langer clog up the middle? Can the d-line keep Stick in the pocket since he's scary when he's moving around? Can our offensive line protect Taryn? Unless we do all three of those things, it's going to be another tough day in Fargo.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Who's going and who's tailgating, and where?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd love to go, but... pheasant opener here in Minnesota (and South Dakota too). Right or wrong, pheasant hunting is my favorite hobby in the world and I only get a few months of the year to do it. I'll listen to the game on the radio between fields, follow along on twitter. Or maybe be able to watch it on ESPN3 if it gets too hot for the dogs in the afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
              I'd love to go, but... pheasant opener here in Minnesota (and South Dakota too). Right or wrong, pheasant hunting is my favorite hobby in the world and I only get a few months of the year to do it. I'll listen to the game on the radio between fields, follow along on twitter. Or maybe be able to watch it on ESPN3 if it gets too hot for the dogs in the afternoon.
              Stereotypes are fun.

Comment

Bison fans... I know many of you are here for fun, and to maybe ruffle some feathers in a good natured way.

Just know that most of us, have great respect for your team and program. I hope that doesn't get lost in the back and forth. (Yeah, we have a few ****-eyed optimists... but it IS the SDSU board!)

I said earlier... I'm not expecting a win. That would be silly. However, I'm sure hoping for one. I hope the players and coaches have a different mindset. (they didn't seem to last year).

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                  Bison fans... I know many of you are here for fun, and to maybe ruffle some feathers in a good natured way.

Just know that most of us, have great respect for your team and program. I hope that doesn't get lost in the back and forth. (Yeah, we have a few ****-eyed optimists... but it IS the SDSU board!)

I said earlier... I'm not expecting a win. That would be silly. However, I'm sure hoping for one. I hope the players and coaches have a different mindset. (they didn't seem to last year).
                  Most definitely not lost. All is good. If I do poke smack it is before the game...not going to rub it in after (if we win), but I will most definitely be back to take the grief afterwards if we lose. It was pretty poor form for the Iowa posters on our board that talked down to us all summer but then disappeared after we won. I know one came back for sure...maybe two.

And yes, I would expect a fair portion to expect a win...we are fans. For any who do make the trip let me know and we will coordinate for tailgating...will be a good time. I've tailgated with a few people on here...always a good time.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                    And yes, I would expect a fair portion to expect a win...we are fans. For any who do make the trip let me know and we will coordinate for tailgating...will be a good time. I've tailgated with a few people on here...always a good time.
                    Yes, if you go, make plans to meet up with TransAm. It is a good time and you get some pretty good beer out of the deal.
                    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

• Re: Marker Week

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                      Yes, if you go, make plans to meet up with TransAm. It is a good time and you get some pretty good beer out of the deal.
                      Wait, you get beer?!? I always end up giving Sarah more then I get!😂

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                        Most definitely not lost. All is good. If I do poke smack it is before the game...not going to rub it in after (if we win), but I will most definitely be back to take the grief afterwards if we lose. It was pretty poor form for the Iowa posters on our board that talked down to us all summer but then disappeared after we won. I know one came back for sure...maybe two.

Thank you! If we win, it will be big surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                          Wait, you get beer?!? I always end up giving Sarah more then I get!😂

You going to be there? I'll likely be in that area.

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

You going to be there? I'll likely be in that area.

We're going to try for tix Friday. I had a line on 2 but my freind is being a diva and won't go if we can't get a ticket for his gf. But she's likely footing the bill so that might be be why.

Comment

I'm expecting a 20+ point loss

Comment

Actually with a fast paced high octane passing attack the TOP means less. We aren't a long time consuming drive team anymore. It matters, sure. But in the end we got DESTROYED in TOP by Poly and still had a chance to tie the game at the end. It's not ideal, but it's possible.

I get your point but I'm not talking about TOP. Yeah, we can recover faster,score faster. But defensively every NDSU game I've watched they've stuffed it down our throats for about 5 yards a run. Then they get situations where they can throw or run which not sure if the pass coverage will hold up on 2nd and shorts and 3rd and shorts when they're unsure. It just leads to NDSU scoring a crap load of points which is bad.

I remember the last playoff game up there where we lost on their last minute drive. Zenner ran that wildcat that put us up in the 4th. Well in that game we started stuffing their runs. Made them predictable. I don't think it will happen but who knows.

Comment

Working...
                                X