Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marker Week

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    Outside of the game, condolences to Chase Morlock and his family. His father passed from cancer this weekend. Will be an added level of emotion for the bison this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There are no words. Prayers for the Morlocks.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
      The Bison really have no answer for Wieneke, and that scares me. CJ Smith, who shut him down last year, plays for the Eagles.....
      I've heard this echoed a lot even though the narrative is untrue if anyone bothers to look beyond the stat line.

Saying CJ Smith shut down Wieneke makes it sound like he was out there on an island and limited his numbers by himself, but that couldn't be further from the truth. The Bison were killing Lujan all game with a 4 man rush (so much so that he didn't even play the next two games due to injury), therefore much of the time CJ had help over the top. NDSU's pass rush was so effective that, even when they didn't sack Lujan, they forced him to throw early, which led to numerous throws that were delivered before Jake even started his break. Smith also had 3 pass interference penalties (one was pick up due to multiple fouls on the play) while trying to cover Wieneke, so to say that CJ "shut him down" is just inaccurate.

I don't want it to seem like I'm implying that CJ Smith had nothing to do with Jake having down numbers in last year's Dakota Marker game, because he is a good corner and was a part of it, but it was the Bison D as a whole that defended Wieneke well, not an individual. If we were going to anoint any one player for "shutting down" Wieneke, it would be Greg Menard, not CJ Smith.

My hope is that our pass blocking is better this year and we get Goedert rolling so we can at least make the Bison pay for focusing too much effort on Jake.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
        I've heard this echoed a lot even though the narrative is untrue if anyone bothers to look beyond the stat line.

Saying CJ Smith shut down Wieneke makes it sound like he was out there on an island and limited his numbers by himself, but that couldn't be further from the truth. The Bison were killing Lujan all game with a 4 man rush (so much so that he didn't even play the next two games due to injury), therefore much of the time CJ had help over the top. NDSU's pass rush was so effective that, even when they didn't sack Lujan, they forced him to throw early, which led to numerous throws that were delivered before Jake even started his break. Smith also had 3 pass interference penalties (one was pick up due to multiple fouls on the play) while trying to cover Wieneke, so to say that CJ "shut him down" is just inaccurate.

I don't want it to seem like I'm implying that CJ Smith had nothing to do with Jake having down numbers in last year's Dakota Marker game, because he is a good corner and was a part of it, but it was the Bison D as a whole that defended Wieneke well, not an individual. If we were going to anoint any one player for "shutting down" Wieneke, it would be Greg Menard, not CJ Smith.

My hope is that our pass blocking is better this year and we get Goedert rolling so we can at least make the Bison pay for focusing too much effort on Jake.
        This is how the Bison shut down all of our stars. They shut down Zenner by completely overwhelming our offensive line. They just destroy us in the trenches and render our skill position players useless.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
          This is how the Bison shut down all of our stars. They shut down Zenner by completely overwhelming our offensive line. They just destroy us in the trenches and render our skill position players useless.
          Yep. And the main reason many of us aren't rushing out to bet the farm on us winning.

The exact same thing happens on defense. They win the battle at the line of scrimmage on nearly every play. Hard to stop an offense when you're getting beat consistently up front.

Comment

I completely agree. Good coaches will counter this with different schemes (screens, quick hitting passes, etc.). It seems like our coaches have never been willing to change our game plan enough to make a difference. Our offensive game plan has historically been run first and then hit them with play action passes (far too slow developing play action passes I might add). However, I feel like with Christion at the helm, our plan on offense has changed a bit, imo for the better, hopefully the coaches can ramp up the quick hitting plays to lessen the effects of their advantage in the trench.

On the defensive side, I think we are going to have to load the box and make Stick beat us with his arm. All of this is obviously easier said than done, but I think they are the keys to getting that elusive win vs. the Bison.

Comment

Correct. Zenner was the same back against the Bison as he was against everyone else, the Bison are just that much better at the line of scrimmage. Not sure why some people don't get that. Mock those of us that do all you want, facts are facts. NDSU has dominated SDSU, the MVFC and the FCS the last 5 years. No reason for anyone to expect that to be any different this weekend.

As I said, crazy things happen on the FB field sometimes. NDSU clearly looked passed USD last year and got beat. They won't do that with SDSU. It could be ugly. I hope I'm wrong.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

One thing that we face at SDSU that no other team faces is we get their A game, the team that hasn't lost to an FBS team in forever. Every time. When we do beat them we beat them at their best. The past years we've gotten beaten by trying to go head to head with a run defense that has routinely shut down FBS run games. I'm pretty sure I've already stated this. Anyways, we never have had a passing attack like this, ever. The last time we beat NDSU we had some guy by the name of Harris who we could burn teams with the deep ball.

Look at it this way. We can live in the past which is awful. The streak is what it is. Can't do anything about it now. Hanging our heads a moping doesn't change that. But what we could do is look at this season. This season the bison almost lost to one of the only comparable teams to us, EWU. And that was when their version of Wieneke went down for a half. They also had to go to overtime with a CSU team who couldn't throw to save their lives. We can look at this game for reasons we could win or we could look at this game for reasons we could lose. Either way you look at it you will find what you want to find. Now you can call whatever you see as realistic or whatever you like, but in the end you are finding exactly what you seek. And to me as a fan, I would much rather go into a game looking to win, because if your looking for reasons to lose it's a losers mentality. That's what it is. We talk about playing to win instead of playing not to lose all the time on here. Same thing. We're fans sure, but in the end fans are considered a part of a program as a whole. Nobody can argue that the NDSU fanbase hasn't had something to do with their success. Now it's an away game so it doesn't matter near as much, but it still does matter a bit. I'm sure it helps the teams psyche to hear their fans don't think they can win.

I hope the team plays like they have nothing to lose. Who on here counted this as a win to start the season? I didn't. So if we lose we were supposed to, but if we win all of a sudden everybody on here will be talking about a top four seed. I guess I just don't understand the negativity surrounding this game. Some of us have the attitude of the guy who has to go shoot his horse that broke it's leg or has to go shoot Ol Yeller. Jesus were fans for gods sake. Have some fun with this week, that's the idea of a rivalry isn't it?

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

I think that sums it up pretty well.

Amen.

Comment

One thing that we face at SDSU that no other team faces is we get their A game, the team that hasn't lost to an FBS team in forever. Every time. When we do beat them we beat them at their best. The past years we've gotten beaten by trying to go head to head with a run defense that has routinely shut down FBS run games. I'm pretty sure I've already stated this. Anyways, we never have had a passing attack like this, ever. The last time we beat NDSU we had some guy by the name of Harris who we could burn teams with the deep ball.

Look at it this way. We can live in the past which is awful. The streak is what it is. Can't do anything about it now. Hanging our heads a moping doesn't change that. But what we could do is look at this season. This season the bison almost lost to one of the only comparable teams to us, EWU. And that was when their version of Wieneke went down for a half. They also had to go to overtime with a CSU team who couldn't throw to save their lives. We can look at this game for reasons we could win or we could look at this game for reasons we could lose. Either way you look at it you will find what you want to find. Now you can call whatever you see as realistic or whatever you like, but in the end you are finding exactly what you seek. And to me as a fan, I would much rather go into a game looking to win, because if your looking for reasons to lose it's a losers mentality. That's what it is. We talk about playing to win instead of playing not to lose all the time on here. Same thing. We're fans sure, but in the end fans are considered a part of a program as a whole. Nobody can argue that the NDSU fanbase hasn't had something to do with their success. Now it's an away game so it doesn't matter near as much, but it still does matter a bit. I'm sure it helps the teams psyche to hear their fans don't think they can win.

I hope the team plays like they have nothing to lose. Who on here counted this as a win to start the season? I didn't. So if we lose we were supposed to, but if we win all of a sudden everybody on here will be talking about a top four seed. I guess I just don't understand the negativity surrounding this game. Some of us have the attitude of the guy who has to go shoot his horse that broke it's leg or has to go shoot Ol Yeller. Jesus were fans for gods sake. Have some fun with this week, that's the idea of a rivalry isn't it?

Must spread rep.

Comment

Wow this is quite a thread. Almost sorry I clicked on it.

This team has a decent shot at this. I like our chances better at home, but then I often do. I do not see us getting blown out like last year, not at all. I would wish for more of a stout running game but then again I always wish for that. We need the line to hold, we need the grabs and what is different about that for this game? nothing at all.

We can do this.

Comment

That's what NDSU gets from every team. Every. Single. Game. We are 75-5 over the last 80 games. Let's be completely honest here; we are everyone's super bowl. Did you see the celebrations the two times we lost last year? The Montana coach was running around the field like he had just won the national championship.

My main point here is that a lot of people seem to be crucifying us for WINNING our first two games in overtime. Both were non-conference teams we never play where there's always an element of the unknown. If you don't think Charleston Southern and EWU had that game circled on their schedule and put absolutely everything they had into it, you are crazy. We beat the hell out of the Charleston QB and that guy kept standing in there every time; Gubrud played out of his mind for EWU, and there wasn't much we could do in the secondary. By the way, both those teams are still ranked in the top ten. You play to win. You don't get more for winning by 40 and less for winning by 1; a win is a win and when you truly do get everyone's best shot, you take them however they come. I don't see the close games as a negative by any means. All they do is develop confidence that we are never out of it no matter the situation. We've won in shoot-outs and grinders.

Reading through the comments, it seems everyone is in agreement this game will be won in the trenches, like usual. I don't disagree as that has been the key to the game in the recent past. If we can't get Christion moving around, it will be a big challenge for the secondary. On the other hand, I'm not sure SDSU's defense has shown much in being able to slow down our power run game. As usual, we need our long sustained drives and some stops here and there on defense. It will be an interesting game.

At any rate, it is only one game in a long season. People asked me after the Charleston Southern game if I was freaking out at the end, and, honestly, I wasn't. Last year was the perfect example of how hard every game is. I've also tried to keep perspective a bit, as well. Nobody works harder or wants to win more than those guys on the field. It seems silly for a loss here and there to affect me that much or ruin my weekend.

Good luck to SDSU. I imagine it will be another good one.

Comment

Thumper76's comments are spot on!

1. Winning in Fargo is tough for anyone. Acknowledged, accepted, and respected! The challenge is large! That's what also makes it cool!
                          2. Being their rival we do get their best game.
                          3. The Jacks have seemed to elevate their game as well and many years have given them their strongest test.
                          4. The Jacks must substantially elevate their line play to have a chance. The same stuff won't cut it, period.
                          5. The Jacks must win the battle on special teams and turnovers.

That all being said, I really feel our chances are as good as they have been in recent years to pull the upset. Now, I didn't say the are great. That would be foolhardy! What the Jacks do bring in is an offense with a passing game that is the best in the FCS and a quarterback that is being very efficient. Weineke and Goedert are the best at their positions in the FCS and are a threat for a big play on every down. The Jacks need to be aggressive in their play calling and use those weapons to max advantage. Defensively, it seems to my untrained eye that we have been very conservative in our play calling which has made us predictable. That has to change. They need to bring pressure and mix up their calls and have it bring results.

The Jacks should be headed into the game with pretty good confidence. Also, they are relatively healthy which is a plus.

Bottom line I think the Jacks have a reasonable chance to pull the upset. They never play scared against the Bison and usually play with discipline. Do that this week and win the

Every year I predict the Jacks win. This will no exception. The defense will come up with a big turnover late that seals the deal! Jacks win 31-24 and bring that chunk of rock home to B-town!

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nells View Post
                            That's what NDSU gets from every team. Every. Single. Game. We are 75-5 over the last 80 games. Let's be completely honest here; we are everyone's super bowl. Did you see the celebrations the two times we lost last year? The Montana coach was running around the field like he had just won the national championship.

My main point here is that a lot of people seem to be crucifying us for WINNING our first two games in overtime. Both were non-conference teams we never play where there's always an element of the unknown. If you don't think Charleston Southern and EWU had that game circled on their schedule and put absolutely everything they had into it, you are crazy. We beat the hell out of the Charleston QB and that guy kept standing in there every time; Gubrud played out of his mind for EWU, and there wasn't much we could do in the secondary. By the way, both those teams are still ranked in the top ten. You play to win. You don't get more for winning by 40 and less for winning by 1; a win is a win and when you truly do get everyone's best shot, you take them however they come. I don't see the close games as a negative by any means. All they do is develop confidence that we are never out of it no matter the situation. We've won in shoot-outs and grinders.

Reading through the comments, it seems everyone is in agreement this game will be won in the trenches, like usual. I don't disagree as that has been the key to the game in the recent past. If we can't get Christion moving around, it will be a big challenge for the secondary. On the other hand, I'm not sure SDSU's defense has shown much in being able to slow down our power run game. As usual, we need our long sustained drives and some stops here and there on defense. It will be an interesting game.

At any rate, it is only one game in a long season. People asked me after the Charleston Southern game if I was freaking out at the end, and, honestly, I wasn't. Last year was the perfect example of how hard every game is. I've also tried to keep perspective a bit, as well. Nobody works harder or wants to win more than those guys on the field. It seems silly for a loss here and there to affect me that much or ruin my weekend.

Good luck to SDSU. I imagine it will be another good one.
                            Can't argue with any of it really. Other than playing the Bison in the playoffs has more been our Super Bowl than anything. I would never crucify the Bison for winning those two in overtime. Heck, if anything it will just give your team more confidence in those situations moving forward. The only thing it may show is that either everyone else is trying to raise their game to your level or maybe, at least early on, the Bison may not be quite as strong as the last few years. Now please, there shouldn't be one, single Jacks fan that thinks that you are either in a down year or won't be ready to play us. Hell no! I have nothing but respect for the Bison program and the tradition that has been established. Everyone in blue is jealous of the success. We want to get there but do it in a not so, how should I say, boisterous and in your face way.

It will take our best game to beat you. Our program is going the right direction which is exciting. The one thing we need to do is start winning the games against teams like NDSU on a consistent basis which of course nobody has figured out.

I expect a very good, and hard fought game. It would be shocking to me if the Bison run over us.

My biggest complaint is that I can't be there to watch.

SUPERBUNNY
                            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Here's what worries me. While our passing offense is awesome when it's clicking, it is bad when it is not. We need to stay out of situations of quick and three outs, which we had a lot of them in the 2nd half at SIU. I hate to see us go 3 and out with a couple incomplete passes while taking 30 seconds off the clock. Then NDSU has a long drive, takes 6 minutes off the clock. We follow it up with another 3 and out and 30 seconds, then they have another drive. Before we know it, we've run 6 plays to their 20.

How do they win? Keep our offense off the field and our defense on the field. How do we win? Keep our offense on their field and their offense off the field.

Comment

I think the point of the NDSU games they won, they were all down to the final play. If EWU or Char S could kick a FG they would have won at the end. That's exactly what NDSU did at Iowa. If those 3 FG are either made or missed, NDSU has 3 losses and everyone is talking about what's wrong with NDSU. They put themselves in a position to win at Iowa and didn't blow it. EWU and Char S put themselves in a position to win it, and they both missed it. to me, that's makes this NDSU team more beatable then before. If our team that played the 2nd and 3rd qtr of Western Ill game shows up, we probably win. If the Defense of the rest of the season shows up, we probably lose. Last year we didn't have a chance. Previous years we have lost some heartbreakers. Hopefully this team is ready to get the rock back. I worry about the line play though.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X