TCU Season Opener Sept 3rd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TCU Season Opener Sept 3rd

That was Jim Swink, great RB. Became an orthopedic surgeon here in town. Died last year, I think. Frogs were in the old SWC and won it a few times, then had really bad time in the 60s, 70s and 80s and even 90s before surging the last 15 years. I used to write for Street and Smith, did the Southwest portion in the late 1970s. I'm sure that mag gave a nod to the North Central Conference. They tried to touch all bases, as I recall. Nice of you to remember those days.

Comment

Originally posted by old scribe View Post
      That was Jim Swink, great RB. Became an orthopedic surgeon here in town. Died last year, I think. Frogs were in the old SWC and won it a few times, then had really bad time in the 60s, 70s and 80s and even 90s before surging the last 15 years. I used to write for Street and Smith, did the Southwest portion in the late 1970s. I'm sure that mag gave a nod to the North Central Conference. They tried to touch all bases, as I recall. Nice of you to remember those days.
      That's who I was thinking of. Could not remember the last name. Seems like Street & Smith relied on SID reports to do the North Central Confence, since media coverage was almost non - existent back then. Not greatly improved since moving up to FCS.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        That's who I was thinking of. Could not remember the last name. Seems like Street & Smith relied on SID reports to do the North Central Confence, since media coverage was almost non - existent back then. Not greatly improved since moving up to FCS.
        Problem was (as I discovered back then) not every school even had an SID! I remember checking on some small Christian school in Missouri (since TCU then was connected to the Disciples of Christ) and got a funny column out of it because it turned out that their ``SID" was actually a full-time professor of something who just had the title. I asked who they played next and he did not know! College football at all levels has come a long way since way back when. Tell me, does anyone up your way play the kind of spread, fast-pace throw-it-around scheme we see down here now?

Comment

Tell me, does anyone up your way play the kind of spread, fast-pace throw-it-around scheme we see down here now?
          Sioux Falls Roosevelt High School
          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
            Sioux Falls Roosevelt High School
            Lol. But you're probably right.
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
              Lol. But you're probably right.
              Right? I wracked my brains, and I couldn't come up with a thing.......UND? But I thought it should be a successful team....
              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                Right? I wracked my brains, and I couldn't come up with a thing.......UND? But I thought it should be a successful team....
                Nope, if you listen to their fans they are a more physical team than us and match up well to us.
                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Here is a little something to get ready for the season...

"Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Note from Fort Worth: I see that on various fan boards down our way your Rabbits are given a slim chance, but most folks also see a relatively close game, maybe 20-30 points difference (last year Frogs beat Texas by a big score if that's any comfort). On the bright side, we are due a cold front Saturday, high to be only 90 that day. That is a nice stadium in that photo, by the way (I still judge such things by how the press box looks).

Comment

Note from Fort Worth: I see that on various fan boards down our way your Rabbits are given a slim chance, but most folks also see a relatively close game, maybe 20-30 points difference (last year Frogs beat Texas by a big score if that's any comfort). On the bright side, we are due a cold front Saturday, high to be only 90 that day. That is a nice stadium in that photo, by the way (I still judge such things by how the press box looks).
                      Don't look at our old stadium pictures then.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        Don't look at our old stadium pictures then.
                        THIS

Comment

I'll say half of what TCU scores the Jacks will counter.Final score,whatever TCU scores and the Jacks scoring about half that. TCU's got more going for them than the Jacks, and they'll be out to prove how good they are right off the bat. Jacks put up a good fight,but in the end,TCU's just got too much going for them and at home too,they'll want to get their fans revved and wanting more for the season ahead .JMO

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                            I'll say half of what TCU scores the Jacks will counter.Final score,whatever TCU scores and the Jacks scoring about half that. TCU's got more going for them than the Jacks, and they'll be out to prove how good they are right off the bat. Jacks put up a good fight,but in the end,TCU's just got too much going for them and at home too,they'll want to get their fans revved and wanting more for the season ahead .JMO
                            Sneaky...
                            TCU wins 6-3. "I told you it'd be a defensive battle and come down to the kickers."
                            TCU wins 14-7. "I told you it'd come down to the final drive."
                            TCU wins 21-10. "I told you it'd be close, but they were just a little deeper than us."
                            TCU wins 28-14. "I told you we could keep it a little interesting vs. one of the best, and play respectable."
                            TCU wins 42-21. "Hey, we held them under 50. Most teams can't even do that."
                            TCU wins 70-35. "What do you expect? They always score a lot. TC had 5 scoring drives of his own, that's a win in itself."

Comment

DVR is set. Will listen live at the campground and WNAX while enjoying a shrimp boil....and then watch the upset victory on Monday while recovering from the holiday weekend.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
                                Sneaky...
                                TCU wins 6-3. "I told you it'd be a defensive battle and come down to the kickers."
                                TCU wins 14-7. "I told you it'd come down to the final drive."
                                TCU wins 21-10. "I told you it'd be close, but they were just a little deeper than us."
                                TCU wins 28-14. "I told you we could keep it a little interesting vs. one of the best, and play respectable."
                                TCU wins 42-21. "Hey, we held them under 50. Most teams can't even do that."
                                TCU wins 70-35. "What do you expect? They always score a lot. TC had 5 scoring drives of his own, that's a win in itself."
                                I'm a politician in training

Comment

Working...
                                X