Tailgating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tailgating

The best comment might be that it's important to allow underage drinking because then students will get drinking out of their system by the time they graduate and won't have a drinking problem thereafter.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      Not sure how you define not working. It's asinine and embarrassing if you ask me.
      What's asinine and embarrassing. The stance the students are taking if you don't let me drink I'm not going to show up for the tailgate or games or the administration enforcing no underage drinking?

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
        Some of the comments in the petition are classic. I think my favorites so far are "this is why we lose to NDSU every year", "I'll transfer if it doesn't get changed", and "I'm signing because I can't throw beer without being reprimanded". That's some good stuff!
        I guess it is interesting reading but that is about it. Talking about losing to NDSU I see a couple of things differently.

1) We don't sell out out our new stadium. It was just built and if you think you will sell out a stadium the first season, that you want to last 40+ years, you built it too small.
        2) We have too many players on the team from South Dakota. You can't win with players from that state. Then he points out, SDSU has 27 players from South Dakota on the roster but between NDSU and UND they have 36 players from North Dakota. If they have that many players from North Dakota and South Dakota has just as good if not better football, why can't SDSU have that many players from SD? I would assume that he looked into how many of those players from South Dakota are walk-ons. NDSU has more players from the cities but SDSU MIGHT have more players from Omaha, Arizona and Florida.

I do agree with getting some SWAG and beating the bully though.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
          Some of the comments in the petition are classic. I think my favorites so far are "this is why we lose to NDSU every year", "I'll transfer if it doesn't get changed", and "I'm signing because I can't throw beer without being reprimanded". That's some good stuff!
          NDSU doesn't do wristbands but I have seen cops come into Tailgate spots and pick off the kids that are in the open drinking and look under 21. NDSU has more cops in the lots than any school I have even been to, including all of our FBS games

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            What's asinine and embarrassing. The stance the students are taking if you don't let me drink I'm not going to show up for the tailgate or games or the administration enforcing no underage drinking?
            Its silly to ask the governor or any elected official to break the laws that are on the books. Legal age is 21 and that it used to be 19 for 3.2 but I think there was another change in the late 60's or 70's. I wasn't in SD so I lost track.

I can see breaking a law that does not make sense, but then you should at the same time be working to change that law.
            Contrary to current student thinking, under age drinking is not a tradition like Hobo Day or growing a beard. Its been frowned upon for a long time.

Comment

so when did we start tailgating at SDSU? I don't remember it when we were D-2? did it all just start when we went D 1 or it became a bigger deal? I was in the marching band during my time so didn't really experience what other students did before games when I was there.

Agree the rules seem a little harsh, but the students don't seem to be doing themselves any favors because they are complaining they cant get wasted underage for tailgating? Seems almost sad that students don't think they can have a good time with out drinking. I know I drank my fair share in college. But I also went to a lot of SDSU events and didn't have to get drunk for them and still had a good time.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                so when did we start tailgating at SDSU? I don't remember it when we were D-2? did it all just start when we went D 1 or it became a bigger deal? I was in the marching band during my time so didn't really experience what other students did before games when I was there.

Agree the rules seem a little harsh, but the students don't seem to be doing themselves any favors because they are complaining they cant get wasted underage for tailgating? Seems almost sad that students don't think they can have a good time with out drinking. I know I drank my fair share in college. But I also went to a lot of SDSU events and didn't have to get drunk for them and still had a good time.
                My recollection that the admin started selling tailing spots about 2004 or maybe later.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  Its silly to ask the governor or any elected official to break the laws that are on the books. Legal age is 21 and that it used to be 19 for 3.2 but I think there was another change in the late 60's or 70's. I wasn't in SD so I lost track.

I can see breaking a law that does not make sense, but then you should at the same time be working to change that law.
                  Contrary to current student thinking, under age drinking is not a tradition like Hobo Day or growing a beard. Its been frowned upon for a long time.
                  The legal age for 3.2 in SD changed from 18 to 19 on July 1, 1984. As a 1984 HS grad I was one of a group that turned of age at 18, 19, and 21. Always thought that was kind of unique.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                    The legal age for 3.2 in SD changed from 18 to 19 on July 1, 1984. As a 1984 HS grad I was one of a group that turned of age at 18, 19, and 21. Always thought that was kind of unique.
                    Thank you I had it wrong. Seems like they were trying to move it up to 19 in the late 1950's but was a bill that died several times, and I had thought they did get it changed but you are most likely correct. That is unique becoming of age three times. If I recall correctly federal highways funds where contingent on changing the law..

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                      I must be getting old, because this is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. Is this some kind of joke?
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Thank you I had it wrong. Seems like they were trying to move it up to 19 in the late 1950's but was a bill that died several times, and I had thought they did get it changed but you are most likely correct. That is unique becoming of age three times. If I recall correctly federal highways funds contingent on changing the law.
                        The only reason I remember July 1st is because I had a friend that turned 18 on June 30th. Yep, he was of age for one day because they didn't attach a grandfather clause to the bill.

Comment

I have dreaming of becoming a SDSU Jackrabbit for years. The tradition of having fun and getting a great education has always drew me in. With the new policy, it makes me question where I'll actually want to spend my weekends. Supporting SDSU with a low student section attendance, or USD where fun & pride is still high. I love SDSU, but the policy is quite a downer. I would love to see this change.
                          Wow. Apparently this person hasn't seen attendance at USD events

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            I must be getting old, because this is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. Is this some kind of joke?
                            I'm with SF This has stupid written all over it. Now, If they want to make the case for lowering the drinking age or raising the draft age that would be a worthwhile discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                              Yes, yes,and no

Comment

Aren't fake ids a thing anymore? Can't the students replicate the wrist bands? Aleast try to be creative,students. Taking this path is useless.

Comment

Working...
                                X