Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tailgating

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    I believe that every person that wants to participate in tailgating should be able to do so as long as they aren't a nuisance. If that sense of entitlement is false, we have a much bigger problem than mobs.
    Certainly. But with the new rules, one is not "entitled" to tailgate in the Backyard without being in a reserved spot. There are plenty of other locations to tailgate your heart out and do your thing.

Clearly I don't understand what your issue with that is.

Comment

So I have typed up an email a couple times this morning to Justin Sell asking for clarification on some of these rules and I can't bring myself to send it because it just sounds ridiculous. Full disclosure: Justin and I do have a good relationship from my time on Students' Association even though we disagreed on a number of issues. So here were the general questions I was writing up in my email that I had gathered from the posts on this thread.

1. Only 1 vehicle per spot in the backyard.
      I don't see how they can or will enforce this. It just is such a stupid rule. I think we will take our chances in our spot. If we are aksed to move our other vehicles, I suppose we will. Loadup is my biggest concern for this. Especially for the folks who have spots that are closer to the SJAC.

2. RV's, busses, campers
      Last year they casued some issues in the gravel lot for parking. I can't comment on the other lots as I was never in them, but to me it seems like there is plenty of room to have an RV. Obviously, the culture and experience that NDSU has created shows that they can and are a part of an awesome tailgating experience.

3. No Loitering
      This seems pretty obvious to me. If I ask you to get off of a my spot, please do. The only time I had to do this was last year when 3 or 4 students were eating our food at Hobo Day and ran off with a plate of chislic. I don't think those of us who are there to wander around and meet other fans will have a problem. This is solely in place to break up the student mob. I'm guessing that they have rehashed the student tailgate and are working with UPC or the Barnyard Cadets to create a better experience. They know they need to create an awesome space for the students and are going to do it.

4. Wristbands
      100% liability and to make it easier for UPD to identify underage drinkers (whether or not this should be there concern is a different debate)

5. No driving into your tailgating spot within two hours of kickoff
      Again, a no brainer. If you are going to be late, have someone else from your group setup for you. The roads are usually (before the new rules) pretty packed anyways and there are a lot of young kids running around playing football, soccer, or whatever and it is dangerous to be driving into the lot. Get there early and you don't have a problem. And besides, if you aren't tailgating the whole time you are just wasting a good tailgating day! haha

These are just my thoughts. I understand that people are upset and that this is different. If your usual tailgate experience is affected by this, I would encourage you to email Justin (justin.sell@sdstate.edu) and ask for an explanation. He is pretty reasonable and wants for people to have a good game day experience.
      Last edited by WestSideRabbit; 08-11-2016, 09:15 AM.
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
        I understand you feel that way, but how is UPD (or whoever is going to do this) expected to enforce crowd control and the rules if there are no rules to be enforced? If we didn't have these documented rules, and UPD went to breakup a mob scene, you can be damned sure there would be some jackoff (probably from this board) that exclaims "you can't make us move, we have every right to be here! It doesn't say in the rules that I can't be here!"

I don't think UPD is going to have any problems with people walking through the backyard. But you're going to have to keep it moving, or enter into a reserved spot. Again, they simply need a mechanism to enforce rules so that there isn't another incident like last year. Why is that such a bad thing?
        I don't know what's going on here but I find myself in agreement. What the admin is dealing with is the real fear of a repeat of 1990. I think the student behavior since 1965 has generally been good. The largest enrollment during my student days was 4200. It used to be said that a studnent at U of Iowa and was just a number because of of then larger enrollment compared to the 3500 at SDSU. With an enrollment of 12,000 plus, this just a number mentality kind sets in the minds of some students after a few beers and maybe other substances. This might be the start of the mob mentality that some have referred to. I thing this type of irrational behavior has to be dealt with. That where. UPD comes in. They need to deal with unruly students and non students alike. Yes I don't tailgate but as a financial supporter, I am concerned about the image of SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
          So I have typed up an email a couple times this morning to Justin Sell asking for clarification on some of these rules and I can't bring myself to send it because it just sounds ridiculous. Full disclosure: Justin and I do have a good relationship from my time on Students' Association even though we disagreed on a number of issues. So here were the general questions I was writing up in my email.

I don't see how they can or will enforce this. It just is such a stupid rule. I think we will take our chances in our spot. If we are aksed to move our other vehicles, I suppose we will. Loadup is my biggest concern for this. Especially for the folks who's spots are closer to the SJAC.

2. RV's, busses, campers
          Last year they casued some issues in the gravel lot for parking. I cant comment on the other lots as I was never in them, but to me it seems like there is plenty of room to have an RV. Obviously, the culture and experience that NDSU has created shows that they can and are a part of an awesome tailgating experience.

3. No Loitering
          This seems pretty obvious to me. If I ask you to get off of a my spot, please do. The only time I had to do this was last year when 3 or 4 students were eating are food at Hobo Day and ran off with a plate of chislic. I dont' think those of who are there to wander around and meet other fans will have a problem. This is solely in place to break up the student mob. I'm guessing that they have rehashed the student tailgate and are working with UPC or the Barnyard Cadets to create a better experience. They know they need to create an awesome space for the students and going to do it.

4. Wristbands
          100% liability and to make it easier for UPD to identify underage drinkers (whether or not this should be there concern is a different debate)

Again, a no brainer. If you are going to be late, have someone else from your group setup for you. The roads are usually (before the new rules) pretty packed anyways and there are a lot of young kids running around playing football, soccer, or whatever and it is dangerous to be driving into the lot. Get there early and you don't have a problem. And besides, if you aren't tailgating the whole time you are just wasting a good tailgating day! haha

These are just my thoughts. I understand that people are upset and that this is different. If your usual tailgate experience is affected by this, I would encourage you to email Justin (justin.sell@sdstate.edu) and ask for an explanation. He is pretty reasonable and wants for people to have a good game day experience.
          I would send it. You seem to be very rational person. The AD needs to know your concerns as well.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 08-11-2016, 10:10 AM.

Comment

To continue what WestSide said regarding the loitering.

Our group rents a PortaJohn (PJ) for our space and would put in the corner of our space (away from the gravel walking paths). We ended up having lines (sometimes 20 deep) of students who were using our PJ, this was after we put a "Private Bathroom Sign Up". We would also have students just plop down in our spot that none of us knew. That to me is what the loitering rule is applying to.

Our group is all for inviting people in and sharing food with SDSU (and other teams) fans.

For the most part the new rules don't affect our group much (we only have 1 vehicle in our space at one time, our space is located near the gravel lot so we don't have a long ways to walk, we set up and get there 5 hrs before kickoff).

Comment

I'm curious what constitutes "one vehicle?" If I have a pickup and a trailer full of tailgating equipment or a large grill or smoker, is that one vehicle? Or do I have to get there, unhitch the trailer or grill, then park the pickup elsewhere?
              @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
              --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

I hereby Invite anyone and everyone into the SDSU tailgate lot. Done
                With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                  So I have typed up an email a couple times this morning to Justin Sell asking for clarification on some of these rules and I can't bring myself to send it because it just sounds ridiculous. Full disclosure: Justin and I do have a good relationship from my time on Students' Association even though we disagreed on a number of issues. So here were the general questions I was writing up in my email that I had gathered from the posts on this thread.

I don't see how they can or will enforce this. It just is such a stupid rule. I think we will take our chances in our spot. If we are aksed to move our other vehicles, I suppose we will. Loadup is my biggest concern for this. Especially for the folks who have spots that are closer to the SJAC.

2. RV's, busses, campers
                  Last year they casued some issues in the gravel lot for parking. I can't comment on the other lots as I was never in them, but to me it seems like there is plenty of room to have an RV. Obviously, the culture and experience that NDSU has created shows that they can and are a part of an awesome tailgating experience.

3. No Loitering
                  This seems pretty obvious to me. If I ask you to get off of a my spot, please do. The only time I had to do this was last year when 3 or 4 students were eating our food at Hobo Day and ran off with a plate of chislic. I don't think those of us who are there to wander around and meet other fans will have a problem. This is solely in place to break up the student mob. I'm guessing that they have rehashed the student tailgate and are working with UPC or the Barnyard Cadets to create a better experience. They know they need to create an awesome space for the students and are going to do it.

4. Wristbands

I haven't sufficiently cooled off enough to start that email yet. But it's coming.
                  With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                    To continue what WestSide said regarding the loitering.

Our group rents a PortaJohn (PJ) for our space and would put in the corner of our space (away from the gravel walking paths). We ended up having lines (sometimes 20 deep) of students who were using our PJ, this was after we put a "Private Bathroom Sign Up". We would also have students just plop down in our spot that none of us knew. That to me is what the loitering rule is applying to.

Our group is all for inviting people in and sharing food with SDSU (and other teams) fans.

For the most part the new rules don't affect our group much (we only have 1 vehicle in our space at one time, our space is located near the gravel lot so we don't have a long ways to walk, we set up and get there 5 hrs before kickoff).
                    Ahh...someone who is reasonable. I'm pretty confident people will adjust and have fun. But for people to think that last year was ok and changes weren't needed just doesn't make sense. Imagine the liability SDSU is opening themselves up to if they kept doing things the same way and someone was serious injured by a flying beer can or somehow injured by a mob of drunk students. A multi-million dollar organization like the SDSU athletic department can't expose themselves like that.

Comment

(I think this will work this time....)
                      Here's page one of the "2016 Football Tailgate Policies (revised 7/25/16)". Page two will be posted next.

Comment

Here's page 2 of the "2016 Football Tailgate Policies (revised 07/25/16)".
                        ]

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                          I hereby Invite anyone and everyone into the SDSU tailgate lot. Done
                          If I'm reading those rules that were posted upthread correctly, tailgating with alcohol is now officially allowed in most of the parking lots--almost all of the sturm und drang has concerned the "reserved tailgating lots" but it may have escaped everybody's attention that tailgating itself is apparently now allowed all over the place.

Am I missing something?
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

"Private Bathroom Sign Up".

My first thought reading it was, why did you put a sign up sheet for the bathroom, thats odd. Then it was, oh, put up a sign.....
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

The third bullet point from the top of the Tailgate Policies is the "no loitering" rule that has been discussed in this thread. It states: "All fans entering the reserved tailgate lot must have a spot they are invited to. No loitering in the reserved tailgate lot."

On most home games, I like to take a walk through the Backyard just to see what's going on and who's there. I stop and say hello to old friends and classmates. Usually I stop by the Alumni Association tent (My wife and I have been sponsors). It sounds like my usual practice is proscribed by the "no loitering" rule quoted above. Hmmm...did the drafters of the policy intend that result? (Getting paranoid now.)

In the past several seasons, my parking spot has been in the lot immediately west of the stadium. I have not had a reserved tailgate spot in the Backyard. We sometimes set up a little food and a cooler with beverages where we park -- hardly qualifies as 'tailgating' compared to the activities in the Backyard but it is fun nonetheless, sitting around and greeting new and old friends passing by. I likely will continue with my practice of walking through the Backyard to see what's happening, even if I'm not invited.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                                If I'm reading those rules that were posted upthread correctly, tailgating with alcohol is now officially allowed in most of the parking lots--almost all of the sturm und drang has concerned the "reserved tailgating lots" but it may have escaped everybody's attention that tailgating itself is apparently now allowed all over the place.

Am I missing something?
                                I think you are reading the rules correctly: tailgating with food and beverages including alcoholic beverage is allowed in almost all of the parking areas on game day. But, I thought that was the rule in past years. I've consumed pre-game beer in the library parking lot, the lot east of the stadium, the lot southeast of the stadium, and walking all over the place.

Comment

Working...
                                X