Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2 more coaches gone!

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
    if you're within 400 miles of the valley you're close enough.

In the end 35k to get your foot in the door may seem paltry but many successful coaches step up through those ranks. Much like teaching, civil service and serving our country it's not about the money. Now we also must factor cost of living which is very reasonable in Brookings and SD in general when compared to other states and regions. It's not great but these assistant jobs are stepping stones on the way up to other jobs.
    Ok, Somebody help me on this; Coach Flynn Had 3 years (maybe four but I though he started the year we first played @ KU) if I remember correctly (gojacks does not list him at all) how about the other 2. I thought Josh Davis had been around longer than that, Judging by salary I must be wrong. Can someone with a better memory of the coaching staff help me with this?

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
      Ok, Somebody help me on this; Coach Flynn Had 3 years (maybe four but I though he started the year we first played @ KU) if I remember correctly (gojacks does not list him at all) how about the other 2. I thought Josh Davis had been around longer than that, Judging by salary I must be wrong. Can someone with a better memory of the coaching staff help me with this?
      I believe both Flynn and Davis just finished their 3rd seasons. That's my guess

My bad Davis had 7 seasons with the Jacks and Flynn his 4th, wow time flies.
      Last edited by Jackedforlife; 01-19-2016, 10:14 PM.

Comment

If so they had quite a difference in salary. That being said I'm not privy to any "other duties" that might be the reasoning behind that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
          if you're within 400 miles of the valley you're close enough.

In the end 35k to get your foot in the door may seem paltry but many successful coaches step up through those ranks. Much like teaching, civil service and serving our country it's not about the money. Now we also must factor cost of living which is very reasonable in Brookings and SD in general when compared to other states and regions. It's not great but these assistant jobs are stepping stones on the way up to other jobs.
          No argument here, I been saying its a stepping stone. And you do have to start somewhere. Montana Rabbit touched on single year contracts as being a stopper for HC applicants, but what I see as a problem with multi year contract is if a coach is not cutting the mustard, you are stuck with him or you have call on the Denny Sanford's to come up with the cash to buy out the contract. I just don't see the Kurtenbach's or the Fishback's being that resourceful, and Boone Pickens is not among our alums. I don't know where the money for U of Minnesota comes from when they can some one with years to go on the contracts. It just seems like a waste of resource for a mistake made in hiring. Canning the AD is not currently an option for SDSU, at least not now.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            I think we can safely say that if (not saying it should or will) our head coaching position opened up it'd be pretty damn desirable. I've heard the argument more than once about not being able to do better than Stig for several reasons, one of which is the one year contract issue.

SDSU has good things to offer and if we ever need to replace one of our big 3 coaches we will have a pretty good list of candidates.
            Can you list the good things SDSU has to offer and why you would get a pretty good list of candidates? Not looking to smack or starting an argument...just curious on your thoughts...

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              Montana Rabbit touched on single year contracts as being a stopper for HC applicants
              No...no I didn't. Some people here think it's a bad deal....I don't buy into that. We don't have a history of firing coaches. Actually it seems to be the opposite...our administration gives a pretty long leash.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                Can you list the good things SDSU has to offer and why you would get a pretty good list of candidates? Not looking to smack or starting an argument...just curious on your thoughts...
                Tell us why SDSU wouldn't be a good gig. Just curious on your thoughts.

Comment

No...no I didn't. Some people here think it's a bad deal....I don't buy into that. We don't have a history of firing coaches. Actually it seems to be the opposite...our administration gives a pretty long leash.
                  I sorry you did say other people have said that its a bad deal, but I think we are stuck with single year contracts for a long time. The political climate is pretty much status quo. Even if somehow the other party got control of the legislature, they would not be much different than the current party. That's what I learned in pol science class at SDSU years ago and I don't think it has changed. I stated in my other post that multi year contracts are risky with out having a daddy war bucks on hand. I stand by that statement. Yes the admin seems to extend a leash a mile or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    I sorry you did say other people have said that its a bad deal, but I think we are stuck with single year contracts for a long time. The political climate is pretty much status quo. Even if somehow the other party got control of the legislature, they would not be much different than the current party. That's what I learned in pol science class at SDSU.
                    I may have misunderstood your post. I thought it read like I said that it was a show-stopper.

I agree we are pry stuck with it for the foreseeable future.

Comment

• Re: 2 more coaches gone!

Tell us why SDSU wouldn't be a good gig. Just curious on your thoughts.
                      You first. Seriously, though...I do not want to come here and make a list running down your program...not my intent at all. I was just curious about what you see as the strengths of your program that would entice candidates.

Comment

I can name 10 without really blinking an eye. I would assume a seasoned coach could identify even more.

1. Best conference in FCS
                        2. Best FB facilities in conference (maybe FCS)
                        3. Brand new stadium
                        4. Supportive fan base with reasonable expectations.
                        5. High quality administration with track record for loyalty and support
                        6. Carnegie level, land grant, flagship university with wide variety of desirable academic programs
                        7. Quality recruitment bases (Omaha/NE, Iowa, MN, SD) in all directions
                        8. University commitment to the student-athlete concept above win at all costs
                        9. Unprecedented academic success within the conference.
                        10. Consistent winning in program
                        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

You first. Seriously, though...I do not want to come here and make a list running down your program...not my intent at all. I was just curious about what you see as the strengths of your program that would entice candidates.
                          The smarta$$ in me wants to say because it's in SD not ND but that really doesn't answer the query.

While like any other FCS program we cannot boast of 5 straight(only one can, honest congrats btw)but we have built a decent winning tradition especially compared to D2 days. Our facilities are finally amongst the best in the FCS. Steigelmeier has garnered respect as a coach, mentor and man of integrity. There is a consistency in staff and the student athletes perform well on the field, in the classroom and in the community. Brookings has many things to offer for a community of its size.

None of this is to be confused that NDSU isn't any of this, your question though is the strengths our program has to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                            I can name 10 without really blinking an eye. I would assume a seasoned coach could identify even more.

1. Best conference in FCS
                            2. Best FB facilities in conference (maybe FCS)
                            3. Brand new stadium
                            4. Supportive fan base with reasonable expectations.
                            5. High quality administration with track record for loyalty and support
                            6. Carnegie level, land grant, flagship university with wide variety of desirable academic programs
                            7. Quality recruitment bases (Omaha/NE, Iowa, MN, SD) in all directions
                            8. University commitment to the student-athlete concept above win at all costs
                            9. Unprecedented academic success within the conference.
                            10. Consistent winning in program

^ -this too, I believe he stated it more eloquently than I did.

Comment

Similar to usd. They hired 3 what appear to be solid hires and limited funds and resources. A lot of times when a coach leaves the new hire gets a better salary. Just curious when bohl left did the new coach make more, less or the same as bohl? Also just curious on that.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                                Similar to usd. They hired 3 what appear to be solid hires and limited funds and resources. A lot of times when a coach leaves the new hire gets a better salary. Just curious when bohl left did the new coach make more, less or the same as bohl? Also just curious on that.
                                Not positive...but I think it was a little less than Bohl...but I don't know...

Comment

Working...
                                X