Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: On to Montana:

Should be good football weather tomorrow...sunny and mid 20's

Your fans that make the game will hear 'thanks for making the trip" and will be offered food and drink

Some of you might have us confused with the bobcat fans

The crowd doesn't quiet down no matter the score...will be smaller crowd because of holiday and hunting
    but those that attend get into it
    May the best team win and travel safe

I've spent a lot of time in S Dakota
    Father was born in Watertown and later my grandparents farm was on Minn/S Dakota border at Canby Minn
    Good memories growing up Bird Hunting the area.

Comment

Re: Jackrabbit vs Montana FCS 1st round

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      You're going to get yourself in trouble saying stuff like that around here. You seem to be suggesting SDSU could be as good as NDSU. That's crazy talk. As long as SDSU keeps making the playoffs all is good. Never mind that the playoff field has expanded dramatically from the D2 era so that 6-5 teams now get in.

Reality? Things are about the same as they have been for 20 years. Decent program, better then most, often times ranked highly but not able to get over the big game hump.

I hope SDSU wins tomorrow.
      The Jacks have made the FCS playoffs four consecutive years (and five of the last seven). When did that ever happen for them in DII?

I am disappointed that they have three losses this year too (and watching the UNI and NDSU losses at Coughlin was particularly nauseating), but that should not cause us to lose sight of the progress the Jacks have made. I will concede that I hope the fans, team, staff, and Admin. do not view merely making the playoffs as an acceptable outcome, and I think Matt Zimmer's articles and tweets speak to the fact that Stig, Justin Sell, and the team are not satisfied with current circumstances. I want the Jacks to advance further in the playoffs, but doing so is a process. Maybe that process this year has the Jacks leaving Missoula and Fargo with wins. Regardless, I will be at Coughlin (sorry, it will always be CAS to me) next year cheering them on just as loudly.

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post
        What you've said here speaks more to hope than confidence. Hope is, "Can we win?" You have hope, and so do I. In fact so do we all.
        Confidence is a different thing. Confidence is "We will win." I don't have that feeling from this team.

And there's this: Excellence doesn't just happen. Mediocrity does however. Teams and programs excel because someone demands excellence. I don't think Chicoine or Sell or Stig are demanding it. I don't get that feeling from any of them, at all. Someone has to demand excellence or it won't happen.
        You are certainly entitled to your opinions, and I hope you continue posting here.

I've been a fan long enough to remember what real mediocrity actually feels like. This year isn't it.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
          The Jacks have made the FCS playoffs four consecutive years (and five of the last seven). When did that ever happen for them in DII?

I am disappointed that they have three losses this year too (and watching the UNI and NDSU losses at Coughlin was particularly nauseating), but that should not cause us to lose sight of the progress the Jacks have made. I will concede that I hope the fans, team, staff, and Admin. do not view merely making the playoffs as an acceptable outcome, and I think Matt Zimmer's articles and tweets speak to the fact that Stig, Justin Sell, and the team are not satisfied with current circumstances. I want the Jacks to advance further in the playoffs, but doing so is a process. Maybe that process this year has the Jacks leaving Missoula and Fargo with wins. Regardless, I will be at Coughlin (sorry, it will always be CAS to me) next year cheering them on just as loudly.
          You're not paying close attention.

How large was the DII playoff field 20 years ago? Any 6-5 teams in that field? None of the teams from the last 5 years would have made it when the playoff field was smaller. How many conferences championships does the FB team have in the MVFC?

I cheer as loudly as anyone. I've been a supporter of the DI move from the beginning. I've been has complimentary as any supporter. I'll continue to do all those things.

I'll also be critical and expect more. I'm invested in SDSU academics and athletics. I want conference titles and national championships.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

a little dose of perspective can always help. We are in a stretch of some of the best football we have ever had. It would have been great to be 9-1 and we were not far from being there. A couple tough losses for sure. But even our good friends to the north, have 2 bad losses this year. Being perfect and winning it all is very hard. Some expect we should fire the whole athletic dept because we havent won it all yet. Well we really dont have a history of winning it all. Frankly I look at where all our programs are and football we are 1 play or game from being a top 8 seed. We are looking like the best basketball programs in the summit again. Football has the facilities to compete with anyone finally. We were always behind everyone aside from USD. Now we are constantly making the playoffs. If the alternative is being where USD is sitting at home, I would rather us have this season and be in the playoffs again. Its very hard to win a National championship, regardless of what NDSU has done. So If making the playoffs is as good as we might be, well, atleast I will try to enjoy the ride. Which sure seems a lot better then those D-2 days. The ride sure looks like it is only going to be getting better too.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Most recent forecast is 27/9, hi/lo. Winds light and variable. I like that forecast. I think MT would normally think the advantage lies with them but not with us. The pads should be crackin' and I think regardless of last weeks anamoly our boys love playing in the cold.

Comment

Originally posted by GorGriz37 View Post
                I didn't catch the NDSU VS. SDSU game this year, how did it go? Montana played NDSU too this year already. It went pretty good on account of we won the game ;D.
                Another fan base hanging their hat on "we beat the Bison". I'd love nothing more to have the Jacks stick it to the Grizz like they did to the other team that was hanging their hat on that statement.

Comment

Originally posted by GorGriz37 View Post
                  I didn't catch the NDSU VS. SDSU game this year, how did it go? Montana played NDSU too this year already. It went pretty good on account of we won the game ;D.
                  You really want to go there?
                  Who the hell are these guys? They had some fine records......
                  With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    a little dose of perspective can always help. We are in a stretch of some of the best football we have ever had. It would have been great to be 9-1 and we were not far from being there. A couple tough losses for sure. But even our good friends to the north, have 2 bad losses this year. Being perfect and winning it all is very hard. Some expect we should fire the whole athletic dept because we havent won it all yet. Well we really dont have a history of winning it all. Frankly I look at where all our programs are and football we are 1 play or game from being a top 8 seed. We are looking like the best basketball programs in the summit again. Football has the facilities to compete with anyone finally. We were always behind everyone aside from USD. Now we are constantly making the playoffs. If the alternative is being where USD is sitting at home, I would rather us have this season and be in the playoffs again. Its very hard to win a National championship, regardless of what NDSU has done. So If making the playoffs is as good as we might be, well, atleast I will try to enjoy the ride. Which sure seems a lot better then those D-2 days. The ride sure looks like it is only going to be getting better too.
                    Don't be bringing that rational viewpoint to a pre-meltdown meltdown! This forum is already billowing toxic smoke out of the chimney.

Comment

• Re: Jackrabbit vs Montana FCS 1st round

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                      Don't be bringing that rational viewpoint to a pre-meltdown meltdown! This forum is already billowing toxic smoke out of the chimney.
                      Pre-meltdown meltdown! Love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                        You really want to go there?
                        Who the hell are these guys? They had some fine records......
                        Oh that's right Weebs. A team the Bizun beat the daylights out of. Montana beats NDSU by 3. Montana loses to Weebs by 3. NDSU beats Weebs by 27. How does that fit into the formula of "we beat the Bison"? Round and round it goes, where it stops, nobody knows. Stupid game to play.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                          Oh that's right Weebs. A team the Bizun beat the daylights out of. Montana beats NDSU by 3. Montana loses to Weebs by 3. NDSU beats Weebs by 27. How does that fit into the formula of "we beat the Bison"? Round and round it goes, where it stops, nobody knows. Stupid game to play.
                          Right? We beat USD, USD beat NDSU.....ugh.....is it Saturday yet?
                          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            1.) The Bison have one bad loss, not two.
                            2.) Yes,it's hard to be perfect and win it all.duh
                            3.) Who has said we should fire our athletic dept. because we haven't won it all? That's absurd
                            4.) Because we don't have a history in winning it all we should't have it as a goal?
                            5.) We're lucky because were not USD. Well, duh

Wonderful perspective.

Comment

How large was the DII playoff field 20 years ago? Any 6-5 teams in that field? None of the teams from the last 5 years would have made it when the playoff field was smaller. How many conferences championships does the FB team have in the MVFC?

I cheer as loudly as anyone. I've been a supporter of the DI move from the beginning. I've been has complimentary as any supporter. I'll continue to do all those things.

I'll also be critical and expect more. I'm invested in SDSU academics and athletics. I want conference titles and national championships.
                              According to the Internet, the 1995 DII playoffs featured 16 teams. The NCC sent 3 teams to the playoffs that year - NDSU, UND, and Northern Colorado.

In 2009, the FCS playoffs featured 16 teams. SDSU finished the regular season 8-3.
                              In 2012, the FCS playoffs featured 20 teams. SDSU finished the regular season 8-3.
                              In 2013, the FCS playoffs featured 24 teams. SDSU finished the regular season 8-4.
                              In 2014, the FCS playoffs featured 24 teams. SDSU finished the regular season 8-4.
                              In 2015, the FCS playoffs featured 24 teams. SDSU finished the regular season 8-3.

We would have made a 16 team field any of those seasons, IMO.

From World War II until 2008, SDSU had 6 seasons with 8 or more wins. Since then, we've had 5.

There is plenty to be critical about, and there isn't anything wrong with wanting conference titles and national championships (I do too!). However, thinking the program is the same today as it has been for the last 20 years isn't reality.
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

How many times were the Jacks considered among the top two dozen teams in DII?

That's happened multiple years now. Like I said, I am not satisfied with just making the playoffs either, but saying the program's been relatively stagnant for two decades seems considerably inaccurate

Comment

Working...
                                X