2015 USD GDT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2015 USD GDT

Let's not forget while Lujan threw some amazing passes he also threw what could and should have bee a pick 6. He has thrown his share of those kind of passes too when he gets anxious in the pocket. Might be an entire different discussion if the USD player had made the play. Glad we have them both and trust the coaches to know when and if to substitute#

Comment

I think of those of us who supported lujan did so becasue we felt he earned it still. Lujan has been huge for this team from what he did last year being thrown into the mix. Then this year getting the start, then losing time to a talented freshman. TC has played really well in a few games. Good enough in others but looked like a freshman against usd. Not one of us who supported lujan wanted tc to struggle. Unlike others I trust the coaching staff to make the choice what's best for the team. Every qb and young player has growing pains. It just seems many in the TC camp felt like he was too good to struggle. Or they were ok with him taking some lumps but leaving him as the guy no matter what. This game a lot of people struggled not just TC so its not just on him. Usd did a better job getting pressure on TC then on lujan. Not sure what changed on their side but it looked like we were reenergized in the 4th the lujan. This is a great game for TC to learn from. Which I have no doubt he will.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
        TC looked like a true Freshmen today. I don't know if the pressure of a big game, dome or speed of game got to him but he was off. TC needs to improve on his passing or teams will keep saying, "beat us with your passing game." The bail out and scramble is not the answer time and time again. Pocket passing needs to happen as well for TC to be successful. It's not high school ball anymore.
        He will and SDSU will continue to dominate a USD program that can aspire to become what SDSU is. Of this I am certain.

Great win despite some tough breaks for the Jacks. The guys persevered and the coaches trusted their game plan. I am very impressed. After the pick 6 I expected USD to fold, they basically did until the huge facemask penalty gave them new life. Credit to them for taking advantage.

Concerned about the O-line but feeling better about pass protection. With TC and Lujan teams can't prepare for just one attack, this is a good thing. Still worried about our special teams. Seems like there's multiple screw ups every week. That said, this team should be getting a top 8 seed and a playoff bye if they take care of business next week. To me that amazing. Nice job.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
          I think the team can run. In fact, it's our opponents attention to our running game that opens up our passing game.

Go look at how many of Jakes catches were off playaction. And honestly, he's the best weapon we have.

Sheesh. If we would have lined up with 2 TE'S, and a FB every play like USD, it would have been "we don't throw the ball!".

I am convinced the coaches can't win. No matter the outcome.
          Nothing to do with the coaches or anything against the players. My point is that State couldn't run against NDSU and UNI. Those games didn't go well. Yesterday wasn't much better. It's probably just pointing out the obvious, but it worries this State fan.
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
            I don't know about anyone else but I am in the camp of feeling fortunate that if we have one quarterback that is struggling with the opposing defense that we have another capable quarterback with a different style of play that can step in and excel. This situation has worked both ways not just in favor of one quarterback.
            Really good post, I agree.

I was against using 2 quarterbacks when the idea was floated, but that's been proven wrong.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I can't agree that TC looked like a freshman, true or redshirt, yesterday. Kid was 9/19, 153 yds and a pick. Had at least 3 very catchable balls dropped but the pick was a bad decision. Just like Lujans pick against IL St. He also ran for a score and honestly was under pressure quite a bit. I was beginning to think Van Ginkel wanted to date him after the 1st Qtr. I agree pulling him to bring Zach in, the team needed that leadership. Zach played well, he led better. Got lucky that his one pass wasn't a pick six. Zach has "it", the ability to lead. He is gracefully teaching and mentoring TC this way. Once TC begins to reach that potential the sky is the limit. Both add to this program and I'm all for giving each equal time. Defenses will be driven crazy trying to plan. Like scheming for 2 different games. If one of them gets hot, ride it out.

I'm curious as to why JeRyan has all of a sudden had issues on punt return. It's always been nail biting with some of his choices but he pulls them off. Fielding and muffing the punt inside the 5, ????. Luckily he recovered it. That easily could've sunk us. As of late though crazy bad things there. Hopefully he pulls out of the slump.

Anyone else notice at least for the first few punts they only rushed 1 guy and once it was snapped the rest turned to block for a return? On one Hale could've ran for 25-30 yds before they noticed. Interesting

We miss Whitsell, hope he's back soon. I wonder with them being down him and 3 DT's why the mantra of next man up didn't happen. Is it that Ramsey and Tiano are that much of a liability? I'd think for a few plays they'd be able to step up or are they not on the travel squad.

Hell of a year so far, 8-2 with one loss that could've been a win. The wins have been very good, with a lot of them being blowouts. I'd have been ecstatic 3 months ago being 6-4 with a chance to make the playoffs, honestly besides the team who thought we'd have been this good. GO JACKS!
              Last edited by Jackedforlife; 11-15-2015, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post

Anyone else notice at least for the first few punts they only rushed 1 guy and once it was snapped the rest turned to block for a return? On one Hale could've ran for 25-30 yds before they noticed. Interesting

!
                I noticed that as well on Hale's final punt. I don't think the Yotes rushed anyone - they all turned their backs and went back to block. With the 3 blocking backs ahead of him, Hale could have run forever. It turned out OK though when his punt pinned them inside the 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post

We miss Whitsell, hope he's back soon. I wonder with them being down him and 3 DT's why the mantra of next man up didn't happen. Is it that Ramsey and Tiano are that much of a liability? I'd think for a few plays they'd be able to step up or are they not on the travel squad. !
                  I was told Ramsey's off the team as of a couple weeks ago.

Comment

Sad to hear, that kid had a great story coming out of HS.

Comment

Pedro Gomez, ESPN reporter, is giving the Jacks & Nick Farina (family friend) some love on Twitter after yesterday's win.

Comment

I'm not going to apologize for TC, because he definitely didn't look sharp in this game. However, did anyone else notice how different the play calling was once Lujan got in? I understand that the coaching staff is probably more comfortable with opening up the playbook and relying on the pass more with Lujan in there, but the run, run, 3rd and long pass scheme was pretty much all they were doing when TC was in there. Honestly, I think if they would have left TC in there and they called the same plays they did with Lujan in, I believe we still would have won. It seems like they are handling TC with kid gloves a little too much. Also, after TC has shown time and time again how good he is when throwing on the run, how do we not call some designed roll out passes?! Get him out on the edge and let him decide whether he wants to pass or run. Along the same lines, I think with TC in, we should spread our offense out more, with more shotgun and 4 wide sets. This is all easy for me to say from my couch, but a lot of it just seems very elementary in terms of coaching. I honestly think that Stig holds us back a bit when it comes to stuff like this, being so stuck in his ways and unwilling to make some changes. I'm not saying he sould be fired or I want a different coach at all, I love him and we are lucky to have him, I am just stating my opinions.

Comment

I agree that Lujan came in and saved the day but TC didn't play that bad. The long pass to Weineke should have been caught but so should have few others. I also think the line blocked much better unt the 4th quarter than the previous 3. I really don't care who plays QB at this point as long as we keep winning. Defense looked asleep for large portions of the game but did what they needed to win. Before the year I figured the playoffs would be a long shot and we would probably lose 3 games at home and lay an egg on the road like we do every year. We are a yard from possibly being 10-1 and the 2nd team in the nation. Just roll through the leathernecks get a week off to get healthy and dominate the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                            I'm not going to apologize for TC, because he definitely didn't look sharp in this game. However, did anyone else notice how different the play calling was once Lujan got in? I understand that the coaching staff is probably more comfortable with opening up the playbook and relying on the pass more with Lujan in there, but the run, run, 3rd and long pass scheme was pretty much all they were doing when TC was in there. Honestly, I think if they would have left TC in there and they called the same plays they did with Lujan in, I believe we still would have won. It seems like they are handling TC with kid gloves a little too much. Also, after TC has shown time and time again how good he is when throwing on the run, how do we not call some designed roll out passes?! Get him out on the edge and let him decide whether he wants to pass or run. Along the same lines, I think with TC in, we should spread our offense out more, with more shotgun and 4 wide sets. This is all easy for me to say from my couch, but a lot of it just seems very elementary in terms of coaching. I honestly think that Stig holds us back a bit when it comes to stuff like this, being so stuck in his ways and unwilling to make some changes. I'm not saying he sould be fired or I want a different coach at all, I love him and we are lucky to have him, I am just stating my opinions.
                            I agree, they told him they would design plays for his skillset when he signed. Heck the plays or offense doesn't need to totally change just for him. They can have a plays in the base package that either ZL or TC can run. Just have each of them run it somewhat differently. Where as Zach may take the snap on a 5yd pass and run through his 1st and 2nd reads and go from there. The same play maybe TC rolls out to his right, if he has room to run take off if that's shutdown he's more than likely got a TE or slot guy open in between zones.

Comment

Not trolling Bulldog, but we handled Rip Van Ginkel pretty well. He is a good player, and for the most part nullified him. When Lujan came in, he was a non factor. He had a few tackles for loss and rushed TC, but kept an impact away from him. Good young player but we schemed well for him. Their defensive coaches did a good job scheming for TC. It was a great call to bring in Zach... Results showed.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                                Not trolling Bulldog, but we handled Rip Van Ginkel pretty well. He is a good player, and for the most part nullified him. When Lujan came in, he was a non factor. He had a few tackles for loss and rushed TC, but kept an impact away from him. Good young player but we schemed well for him. Their defensive coaches did a good job scheming for TC. It was a great call to bring in Zach... Results showed.
                                According to the radio broadcast he had five tackles in the 1st half and zero in the 2nd.

Comment

Working...
                                X